The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

Post by malchior »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:49 pm I would not want to sign the affidavit that I searched ALL of Trump’s real estate.
Totally. I'm sure the 3rd party team documented it to all hell and then caveated it some more on top. One of Trump's newer lawyers Christopher Kise suggested this back in September during the initial search. He was immediately sidelined because the rest of Trump idiot lawyers couldn't get out of their own way and only relented around Thanksgiving. I guess you can say they got unearned delay (and ridiculous rule of law shaming latitude).
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Is it time for a Kushner thread:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

So the thing people have been yelling at Garland's DOJ for about 2-years is getting picked up by ... Congress. Sounds about right.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Brian wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:40 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:06 pm Reminds me of my EQ character, Felonious Monk.
Felonious Monk was the name of my criminal organization in GTA: Online.
Ermagerd.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Brian

Post by Brian »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:11 pm
Brian wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:40 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:06 pm Reminds me of my EQ character, Felonious Monk.
Felonious Monk was the name of my criminal organization in GTA: Online.
Ermagerd.
That was the name of the crew. The full name being Ermagerd, hersts!
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I know. It was a response to your post that doubled as an inside joke that you've now forced me to explain.

Sigh.

I'm tired.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote:I was just commenting on potentially convicted Trump, I'm aware he hasn't been convicted of anything.....yet.
And yet, he was elected to run the country like his business.

Mission accomplished!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:22 pm I know. It was a response to your post that doubled as an inside joke that you've now forced me to explain.

I know.
My response wasn't for you but rather for anybody that might wonder what the hell we were talking about. :)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Brian wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:46 am
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:22 pm I know. It was a response to your post that doubled as an inside joke that you've now forced me to explain.

I know.
My response wasn't for you but rather for anybody that might wonder what the hell we were talking about. :)

(I was going to find a clever way to explain my post in response to your post explaining your post in response to my explaining my post, just to keep the cycle going, but I'm way too tired to think of something clever.)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:46 pm
Request denied! Such surprise. 'Grab them by their classified documents'!
A federal judge declined to hold former President Donald Trump in contempt of court in a closed-door hearing on Friday, two sources familiar with the matter told CNN.

The sources also told CNN that Chief Judge Beryl Howell instead pressed the Trump team and the Justice Department to work together to find a mutually agreeable resolution.

ABC News first reported the judge had urged the teams to resolve the matter themselves.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Great explainer about how absurd this affair has been by the very frustrated Glenn Kirschner clearly laying out the special treatment of Trump. His take is that Howell denied the contempt request because it amounts to the DOJ asking the judge to give them air cover for DOJ not doing their jobs.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The special master review of evidence seized from former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate is no more.

Judge Aileen Cannon on Monday formally dismissed the case, which Trump brought to challenge the Mar-a-Lago evidence collection and in which she appointed special master Raymond Dearie, another judge, to make recommendations on whether prosecutors could access evidence.

The dismissal of the case now gives the Justice Department full access to tens of thousands of records and other items found among documents marked as classified in Trump’s beach club and private office.

Cannon’s dismissal follows the appeals court above her deciding that she had no authority to be involved in the Justice Department criminal investigation before any charges are brought. The court told Cannon the case must be dismissed and there will be no further proceedings before Cannon in the Southern District of Florida.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:53 pm CNN
The special master review of evidence seized from former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate is no more.

Judge Aileen Cannon on Monday formally dismissed the case, which Trump brought to challenge the Mar-a-Lago evidence collection and in which she appointed special master Raymond Dearie, another judge, to make recommendations on whether prosecutors could access evidence.

The dismissal of the case now gives the Justice Department full access to tens of thousands of records and other items found among documents marked as classified in Trump’s beach club and private office.

Cannon’s dismissal follows the appeals court above her deciding that she had no authority to be involved in the Justice Department criminal investigation before any charges are brought. The court told Cannon the case must be dismissed and there will be no further proceedings before Cannon in the Southern District of Florida.
And this comes in with a new Congress in 22 days, and with this Congress all but checked out, with the exception of those trying not to have government shutdown. Delay until it doesn't matter... or after you've been president, until you have a more friendly governing body.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I just love how you have a judge that tries to do something that obviously they aren't allowed to do and nobody will do anything about it. She will still have her job FOREVER... Ridiculous
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:30 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:53 pm CNN

And this comes in with a new Congress in 22 days, and with this Congress all but checked out, with the exception of those trying not to have government shutdown. Delay until it doesn't matter... or after you've been president, until you have a more friendly governing body.
Congress has no bearing on what the DOJ is doing with this investigation.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:45 pm I just love how you have a judge that tries to do something that obviously they aren't allowed to do and nobody will do anything about it. She will still have her job FOREVER... Ridiculous
I don't disagree exactly, except that in general there are very good reasons why judges are insulated from pressure from the political branches. The judge was obviously bending over backwards to help Trump, but she was also clearly acting within her legitimate authority when making these decisions. Unless evidence of direct and improper influence (such as bribery) comes to light, there's not much grounds for removing her.

That said, this does highlight systemic reforms that we should be making. For one, the venue / assignment rules that allow people to reliably direct their lawsuits to specific judges (as happened here) badly need to be fixed. For another, I'm also inclined to think that judicial appointments should be long but not for life.
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:14 pm The judge was obviously bending over backwards to help Trump, but she was also clearly acting within her legitimate authority when making these decisions.
Was she?
Cannon’s dismissal follows the appeals court above her deciding that she had no authority to be involved in the Justice Department criminal investigation before any charges are brought.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:09 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:14 pm The judge was obviously bending over backwards to help Trump, but she was also clearly acting within her legitimate authority when making these decisions.
Was she?
Cannon’s dismissal follows the appeals court above her deciding that she had no authority to be involved in the Justice Department criminal investigation before any charges are brought.
I just meant that she was making judicial opinions in cases validly before her.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I bet they wuss out.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The tax community crowdsourcing an audit of Trump’s tax returns would be enlightening. It would make for months of entertainment in the tax community.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Not if they release in mid-March or so.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:06 pm Not if they release in mid-March or so.
The GOP is going to take control of the committee in a couple weeks, so it's either release now or never.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:10 pm The GOP is going to take control of the committee in a couple weeks, so it's either release now or never.
But then...

Kevin Brady (R-TX) warns that releasing Trump’s tax returns could lead to the release of tax returns of Supreme Court Justices
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Congressman Kevin Brady currently serves as the Republican Leader of the House Committee on Ways and Means, considered to be the most influential committee in Congress. Before becoming Ranking Member, Congressman Brady served as Chairman of the Committee for six years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:20 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:10 pm The GOP is going to take control of the committee in a couple weeks, so it's either release now or never.
But then...

Kevin Brady (R-TX) warns that releasing Trump’s tax returns could lead to the release of tax returns of Supreme Court Justices
Oh noes please don't release SCOTUS tax returns as reprisals! That would be too much public accountability.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Whatever happened to the GOP motto of "if you have nothing to hide?" Oh yeah, it was replaced by "snitches get stitches." I forgot when TFG changed it. Nevermind.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:02 pm I bet they wuss out.
They'll absolutely wuss out. That they are kvetching about this is exactly why I can't stand them. Just do it. They're so afraid of getting shouted at when they are constantly being shouted about something else anyway. If they don't do something then the Republicans get away with something yet again. If they do something, yes the Republicans will yell and stamp their feet. That is who they are. They are already radicalized.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:02 pm I bet they wuss out.
They didn't.

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:06 pm Not if they release in mid-March or so.
Representative Lloyd Doggett, a Democrat on the committee, told CNN that release of the full cache of tax documents could be delayed for “a few days” in order to carry out redactions of personal information, such as Social Security numbers.
:pop:

:pop:
Spoiler:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lol at all the doomsaying being wrong again.
Hodor.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Are they going to be redacted beyond any usefulness?
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:23 pm Lol at all the doomsaying being wrong again.
I'm glad they did the right thing but this reaction is bullshit when you look at the wide view. Still it must be so satisfying to be such a serious person.
Alefroth wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:23 pm Are they going to be redacted beyond any usefulness?
It depends how fine a filter they apply. Are they redacting the well known PII (SSN, birthdays, phone numbers, etc.)? If they go beyond to enterprises names, officers, etc. then it'll be muddier for sure.
malchior

Post by malchior »

After the vote, House Democrats revealed that the materials they obtained showed that the I.R.S. had failed to audit Mr. Trump’s tax filings during his first two years in office, despite having a program that makes audits of sitting presidents mandatory. The agency began an audit only after the chairman of the committee, Representative Richard E. Neal, Democrat of Massachusetts, requested Mr. Trump’s taxes in 2019. That audit is not complete.
To put a fine point on this. This is why we "doomsay". This system is *BROKEN*. The powerful are trampling on the rule of law. Congress releasing these documents tries to balance the scales for sure but we deserve answers about what is being done to address the rampant lawlessness in the government.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

"Nothing's gonna happen"

Something happens.

"It's not enough because the system is BROKEN".

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:20 pm
But then...

Lol - it's a threat to the SCOTUS.
But as a viewer, I'm thinking a big fat sarcastic "Oh no!!"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I mean...

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unagi wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:11 pm Lol - it's a threat to the SCOTUS.
Seriously. I again repeat, the amount of financial info I need to provide and the things I need to attest to as part of my role as a volunteer in various local organizations is borderline onerous. Fingerprinting. Background checks. And I'm supposed to feel that seeing tax records for elected and lifetime appointed officials is unreasonable? GTFO.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote:
Unagi wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:11 pm Lol - it's a threat to the SCOTUS.
Seriously. I again repeat, the amount of financial info I need to provide and the things I need to attest to as part of my role as a volunteer in various local organizations is borderline onerous. Fingerprinting. Background checks. And I'm supposed to feel that seeing tax records for elected and lifetime appointed officials is unreasonable? GTFO.
Bingo

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.