The 4th Estate Thread Has Surrendered

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Octavious

Re: The Semi-Official Death Watch of the 4th Estate Thread

Post by Octavious »

malchior wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:50 am
LordMortis wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:55 am Good but scary. It suggests to me that 30% will follow Tucker or find another rat bastard and that Fox will want that viewership back and will do what it takes.
I'd suggest the other 70% don't have anything else to watch and it's not like Fox became wholesome entertainment.
Honestly since they lost the lawsuit it seems like they just went full tabloid. The front page for the last two weeks barely has any real stories. Not even the BS Hunter stories. It's just full blown nonsense. Nothing about the debt limit... Wars....People freaking being convicted for trying to overthrow the country. No Bud Light, that's our problem our only problem.

#1 Bud Light Again...
#2 Some kid wearing a t-shirt a school didn't like
#3 Some bizarre Mt Rushmore story
#4 Pretty girl killed by black man (Always a staple)
#5 Trans! OMG TRANS
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

Octavious wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:38 am#3 Some bizarre Mt Rushmore story
This is a staple too. Mt. Rushmore is like the Western Wall of the temple mount to white WASPs. Fox usually has a story every couple of months centered on how the libs don't respect our founders.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:06 am Really horrible people really like their echo chambers.
I like mine too. But I try to remember it is an echo chamber. Sometimes I get pissed that my news feed is giving me articles that are obviously designed to appeal to my world view. Just give me the info, I'll decide whether I agree or not.

But I like it when that info matches my viewpoint!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Apparently there is audio on the video that was posted on FB with the following dialog. Apparently the marine (who through his lawyer has now claimed self-defense) was warned he might be killing the man and yet continued to choke him to death.

Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:34 am It might be but we also have NO CONTEXT about what the conversation was about. The text alone is strange but maybe it wasn't strange in context of a larger conversation. FWIW I don't think he was seeding doubt into his conversations to protect against future lawsuits/discovery. Mostly because people didn't think these types of communication persist. You send them and they essentially only live on each others' phones. I don't think the risk of exposure of communications has been truly reckoned with until recently. It may very well drive people into more secure forms of communication where communications are more ephemeral.
Slate thinks the real reason they canned him is yet to be released info that will come out as part of the Abby Grossberg suit.

That seems plausible.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

Maybe. It could have been something definitive in that suit or additive across all the conduct seen in discovery. What I'm sure of is that it wasn't the "Board panicking" over that text. :)

What's interesting to me are all the smokescreens to hide Murdoch's obvious involvement which makes it also plausible it was something personal.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote:Really horrible people really like their echo chambers.
It's a symbiotic relationship.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:41 am As an aside, the comments on Twitter and the NY Times article make me sad for our nation. We're a savage, cruel and maybe even evil people. The number of people commenting that they are sick of homeless people or making excuses for a vigilante killing a man on the subway because he was *yelling* makes me all the more sad for this blasted hellscape of a land. I've been there before. It's uncomfortable but I never once thought -- hmm time to go all Batman on him.

A sampling of the "Most Recommended" comments - more like Most Morally Repulsive but this is who we are. It literally is dozens and dozens of post excusing the killing. Utterly repulsive.
Police were no where to be found and the guy was saying some threatening things in a closed subway car. Given the level of violence in the country, it is reasonable to take threats seriously. We need to find out more facts but the knee jerk reaction by the left and AOC to call this murder is really disappointing. It’s easy to second guess people from the comfort at home but the people in the situation had to deal with a threatening person with apparently no police around for 15 minutes.

Why must we all sit still in fear avert our eyes and hold our breath trapped in a subway car with ranting mentally ill riders? The fact that they are homeless has nothing to do with it. The fact that one of us may be injured or killed by that person is reason enough to try to protect ourselves until those doors open and we can escape. Who is advocating for our right to live free from the fear many of us feel when yet another ranting raving lunatic uses us as their captive audience? “Stand clear of the closing doors,” has taken on a whole new meaning. Offer the offender some water?! Offer the rest of us a Xanax.
If you scream at people in a confined space that you're "ready to die" someone better stop you from doing whatever comes next, or the headline will be that some crazy person slashed several people to death, or pulled out a gun and shot people. It's amazing anyone was brave enough to put a stop to the threatening behavior. This is far different than recent cases where someone innocently rang a doorbell, or turned around in a driveway, or chased a ball into a yard. Crazy people are inherently unpredictable and it isn't reasonable to expect people to just wait and see, and hope for the best.
The man apparently had 40 prior arrests for harassment and assault. Of course everyone else is to be blamed but him.
New York City and the legal system has to stop coddling violent, disruptive, drug addicts.

It is sad that the homeless man died, but his statement that he was prepared to do something and serve life in prison in jail would be interpreted by many as a threat to commit a very serious crime such as murder.

The people who was restrained this Troublemaker were heroes, not criminals.
I don’t necessarily agree with all those comments, but I completely disagree that they are, taken as a whole, “morally repulsive.”

I’m sure there are some evil asshats out there that don’t give a shit about Jordan Neeley and could care less that he was killed. But most comments I have seen, including these above for the most part, are not reveling in his death. I think this is a terribly murky situation. Given everything I’ve read about Neeley, it doesn’t seem like a stretch to think he was terrifying the people in that subway car.

No heroes here, certainly, but, at this point, I think it’s wrong to opine with certainty that anyone on that train was a villain.

That may change. Maybe Daniel Penny has a history of racism or social media posts advocating to kill the homeless. But I haven’t seen anything like that yet. All I’ve seen is he was a marine with an undistinguished military career looking for a job bartending in NYC when he came across Neeley. Reports from those that know him say he was a laidback guy who loved to travel and surf and had backpacked through Central America.

Nothing screams jack booted thug itching for a chance to kill some poor crazy homeless guy on the subway.

Bad decisions in a bad situation leading to a bad outcome. A tragedy.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:43 amI don’t necessarily agree with all those comments, but I completely disagree that they are, taken as a whole, “morally repulsive."
A bunch of people demonizing a mentally ill person to potentially justify his killing isn't morally repulsive? To each to their own I guess.
I’m sure there are some evil asshats out there that don’t give a shit about Jordan Neeley and could care less that he was killed. But most comments I have seen, including these above for the most part, are not reveling in his death. I think this is a terribly murky situation. Given everything I’ve read about Neeley, it doesn’t seem like a stretch to think he was terrifying the people in that subway car.
It's not about reveling. It's about talking about broad situations about homelessness with such disdain.

As to the murkiness, at the very least I implore you to watch the video. Once he put him in the hold there is zero murk. People might have been scared but the guy clearly wasn't a threat at that point. The reporter who recorded the video and at least two passengers said he sounded desperate. Some were scared but nothing suggested a lethal hold was necessary.
No heroes here, certainly, but, at this point, I think it’s wrong to opine with certainty that anyone on that train was a villain.
This isn't about heroes and villains. It's about our broken culture. There is a direct line from this to other sorts of violence prevalent in our society. We bend over backward to defend the use of violence against marginalized people and excuse it post hoc.
That may change. Maybe Daniel Penny has a history of racism or social media posts advocating to kill the homeless. But I haven’t seen anything like that yet. All I’ve seen is he was a marine with an undistinguished military career looking for a job bartending in NYC when he came across Neeley. Reports from those that know him say he was a laidback guy who loved to travel and surf and had backpacked through Central America.
Isn't it odd how the killer gets cleaned up and the victim here is getting tarnished. By the usual political actors.
Nothing screams jack booted thug itching for a chance to kill some poor crazy homeless guy on the subway.

Bad decisions in a bad situation leading to a bad outcome. A tragedy.
No doubt but notice I'm not even talking about the legal responsibility. We have a good reason to believe that Penny was physically responsible at least. What we don't know is the intent/motive/recklessness though it seems reckless considering contemporary folks warned him Penny he was killing Neely. I'm solely talking about the people who are hunting for excuses without knowing the facts. That's what I find exceptionally gross.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Just speaking to human nature here:

I think people, in general, "hunt for excuses" in a knee-jerk and well-meaning attempt to paint the world as better than what is being presented at face value, in a manner that suits them and makes sense to them (on some level).

And sometimes we see other people doing it and it's obvious they are covering for something that makes them uncomfortable... and sometimes there is a grain of truth in their hunt for excuses.

If that makes sense.

In our culture, mental health consistently loses the 'hearts and minds" battle though, and that saddens and scares me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

TIL: a listicle is an article that is structured as a list, which is often fleshed out with additional text relating to each item.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Sorry I was focused on something else could you rewrite that as a headline?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What they don't want you to know! Use this little known SECRET to enumerate your grievances!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Tucker Carlson's bringing his show back already, this time on Twitter.

Carlson and Musk, a pairing made for each other.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It is not surprising. Musk pretty much has unmasked himself in the last few weeks/months as a rabid racist. Earlier this week he was boosting racist misinformation about crime statistics saying he was just enabling the truth. Twitter is turning into a white supremacist platform. We really need an alternate to appear.
Last edited by malchior on Tue May 09, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

pr0ner wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:43 pm Tucker Carlson's bringing his show back already, this time on Twitter.

Carlson is forfeiting $25 million from his Fox non-compete clause. I mean, sure, he's an attention whore but not to this degree. Which makes you wonder how much Musk is paying him for this.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Just to reference what I was talking about above. The stats shown here are accurate but omit that adjusted for ... the whole population that black on black crime and white on white crime are by far the biggest components. Black on white / white on black crime actually occurs statistically less than is representative in population. In the end, we have a pretty solid recent body of evidence that he is an unabashed racist and the site sure appears to be boosting racist content. But whatever. We're in hell.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

gilraen wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:58 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:43 pm Tucker Carlson's bringing his show back already, this time on Twitter.

Carlson is forfeiting $25 million from his Fox non-compete clause. I mean, sure, he's an attention whore but not to this degree. Which makes you wonder how much Musk is paying him for this.

Yes, this is interesting. FOX is continuing to pay him through 2025 just to keep him off the air with a competitor.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:57 pm Twitter is turning into a white supremacist platform. We really need an alternate to appear.
Bluesky?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:09 pm
malchior wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:57 pm Twitter is turning into a white supremacist platform. We really need an alternate to appear.
Bluesky?
Here is to hoping because fuck Elon Musk.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:11 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:09 pm
Bluesky?
Here is to hoping because fuck Elon Musk.
I might sign up with a viable safeish competitor just to boost their numbers because fuck Elon Musk. OtOH, Musk does claim there is no incentive or consideration to Carlson provided. Of course, I trust him about as far as I can throw his jet.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah. I was never on twitter, but I had the same exact thought about Bluesky. I could see jointing just to contribute to the numbers that would maybe further undermine twitter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Grifman wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:52 pm
gilraen wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:58 pm

Here he is using the opportunity to brag about the size of his unit.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I watched that Carlson video on Twitter yesterday hyping his new Twitter show. What a complete shit show. And the degree to which Carlson has no shame . . . Mind boggling. In the clip, he’s a victim, and the people are being lied to, and he’s a defender of the truth, and garbage, garbage, garbage.

But I really wonder whether his crowd from Fox will transition over to watching him on Twitter. I’m not sure that jump is going to happen. He’ll have his stupid show and spout his toxic garbage, but will anywhere near the number of viewers he had on Fox be watching? Anyone know the average age of Carlson’s Fox viewers? I’m guessing it’s north of 60, and I’m guessing the majority weren’t watching old Tucker via a streaming service.

I’m hopeful his star will drastically fade out.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He underestimates how lazy and fickle people are. They can't handle more than flipping on Fox and turning into a vegetable.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fox is betting on that. Tucker is betting the opposite.

There's little question that this will split both their audiences, but what motivation would people have for watching Tucker on twitter and stop watching Fox? Surely they never tuned into Fox solely for Tucker. Surely. I mean...help me out here. My faith in humanity is struggling.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:17 am Yeah. I was never on twitter, but I had the same exact thought about Bluesky. I could see jointing just to contribute to the numbers that would maybe further undermine twitter.
The intertubes say it's still in beta. One can leave an email address and wait for an invitation to join. Since I don't actually plan to use it at this time, I'll wait until they open to the hoi polloi.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I thought demographics might influence this, but I don't really see a yeah or nay here:

https://morningconsult.com/2023/05/03/d ... rump-fans/

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:30 am I thought demographics might influence this, but I don't really see a yeah or nay here:

https://morningconsult.com/2023/05/03/d ... rump-fans/

Thanks for this. A couple things stand out to me:

- 79% of Tucker Carlson fans have a household income under $100K.
- 56% are between the ages of 45 and 77.
- 66% are white.
- 63% are men.

So, basically, older white dudes who are not well-off financially.

One other thing that stands out and makes me question this Morning Consult poll: 22% of Tucker Carlson fans identify as having a liberal ideology. There's no way that's accurate, is there?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Speaking of splitting audiences...

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Oh yeah Mike, you're definitely going to compete with Trump on eyeballs - 100%.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:49 pm Oh yeah Mike, you're definitely going to compete with Trump on eyeballs - 100%.
Indeed. Still, interesting that he's gonna try.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:54 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:49 pm Oh yeah Mike, you're definitely going to compete with Trump on eyeballs - 100%.
Indeed. Still, interesting that he's gonna try.
I suppose the framing may help him as it implicitly puts him on a parallel level with Trump. Though the biggest problem that all would-be Trump GOP rivals have is an inability to say "Trump is wrong and a bad person to be president."
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Re: The 4th Estate Thread Has Surrendered

Post by malchior »

Funny. No one is talking about Pence at all.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Appropriate thread re-title given CNN's shameful night.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Rick Wilson gets it right. This was a watershed moment in my mind. There is no bottom. The media oligarchs care about stuffing their pockets with ratings cash. Go read the piece about Lindsey Graham I posted and substitute in the media and you'll see a similar decline. Trump has corrupted them and they have failed us.

malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ugh so....it was bad?
Black Lives Matter.