Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

YellowKing

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, I am really overdue for a purge. There are games on my shelf I know for a fact I will never play again.

The problem with games is they're just so darn expensive to ship. Every time I think of the hassle of boxing them up and taking them to the post office and charging an arm and a leg to ship them somewhere, I lose the will to sell any of them.

Our FLGS does hold a consignment sale a couple of times a year, so I really need to jump on that next time they hold one.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

EzeKieL wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:10 pm Atm I have 68 KS coming in over the next couple of years, the last being Sea of Legends in 2024.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have 2.

My wife would either kill me or divorce me if I spent that much on games.

She's out of the country for a couple months now, so I think I am going on a road trip to BGG Con in Dallas. :ninja:

(She kind of knows about that trip. Doesn't approve, but has more or less accepted it.)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

My pending Kickstarter list has shrunk since I last posted it in May. Thank goodness.

Shikoku 1889 - I'd guess this is coming around April of next year.
Distilled - The publisher says Q1 2023. Seems reasonable.
Stationfall - The boat is supposed to arrive in the U.S. mid-November, so there's an outside chance this will arrive before the holidays. Not counting on it.
Glorantha: The Gods War - I'm never getting this, am I?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just a random data point but CMON sent out an update for the Zombicide Undead or Alive campaign as they're a little behind (~8 months) with shipping (what else is new for CMON). Anyway, my point here is buried in their update they just sorta dropped that due to some recent logistical issues they needed to change shipping partners. They had been using QML for their projects, so that just furthers my suspicions that QML has been taken down a few notches since the pandemic started. Can't wait to see who CMON is using to replace them (please don't be FunAgain...)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Surprise: Frosthaven has started fulfillment in the US. :shock:

They say it could continue through January of 23 due to the large number of backers, but the first tracking numbers are expected to go out…well…now.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

In other CMON news, they did exactly what I was worried they would do by blasting out another full expansion as an optional buy for Cthulhu Death May Die. Now I know what you are saying, "How dare they offer more content!" but this sort of ticks me off. You go in to every one of their KS and you think, "ok, a limited expansion for a game I love at a reasonable price." By the end of the KS, they have $500 of extra buys, a boat load of stretch goals, and have upped the shipping to be a ridiculous amount.

Then their shipping and production gets majorly behind schedule. Wonder why....
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

baelthazar wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:42 pm Then their shipping and production gets majorly behind schedule. Wonder why....
Unless you're a true collector or sadist, I've learned to just wait for retail for most of CMON's stuff. Focus on what is a KS exclusive and make note of what will eventually come to retail, likely cheaper than whatever CMON is going to sell and ship it for during the KS. Better yet...learn to walk away from CMON stuff because yeah, it can get out of hand quickly. :D

The sculpts for some of the new DMD content are really, really awesome. I'm really out of space but just looking at them is making me wonder how to make it work.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I had sworn them off after the Marvel Zombies debacle. My last one was going to be He-Man (already backed). But DMD is a very very good game, probably one of my favorites. So more of that content pulled me back in.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Does the season 4 stuff have any stretch rewards yet? I’m in for the expansion core, and the reward box from the first Kickstarter. I’d rather not spend any more. But like you, it’s one of my favorite games.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm down to 12 outstanding Kickstarter and Gamefound projects.
- 3 expansions to favorites (Dead Reckoning + Vindication + Unsettled)
- 3 RPGs (Lairs & Legends, Stat Trackers, Paranoia)
- 1 Miniature (Reaper Bones 6)
- 2 Small Games (Tiny Epic Vikings, Casting Shadows)
- 1 Campaign (Arydia)
- 1 Euro (Earth)
- 1 Conquest (Last Light)

Debating Spirit Island expansion and Mosaic - both would be great but would have to go all in and make room in the Kallax.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:25 pm Does the season 4 stuff have any stretch rewards yet?
There's not "stretch" rewards for the S4 box (yet). You're getting a discount and access to limited promo insanity card and two KS exclusive relics.
All backers acquiring Season 4 in this campaign, will also receive the Kickstarter Exclusive Skull Bracelet and Ivory Figure Unknown Relic cards as well as the R’lyehian Seizures Insanity card, which previously had a limited release as a promo card through Dice Tower!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, that I can resist. I’ll just grab it retail someday then.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I just pledged for only the standalone expansion since I still need to work through the first two Cthulhu seasons. Also I don’t feel the fomo as much regarding KS exclusives anymore so getting season 4 when it hits retail distributors is quite fine with me.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I’m dropping back to just the core expansion. I was going to get the stretch rewards for the first Kickstarter, but I worry about the shipping going through the roof with two bigger boxes. Plus, I think I’ll have enough to enjoy with the first three seasons.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:Surprise: Frosthaven has started fulfillment in the US
And with that, the next two years of my gaming life has been written in stone.

The guy in our gamer group that bought Gloomhaven went all in on Frosthaven as well. Like Gloomhaven, we're planning on running through the entire campaign with regular weekly play sessions. GH took us a year and a half with expansion, so I'm anticipating that long if not longer with FH.

I have mixed feelings. I'm looking forward to in that playing the full GH campaign with a four-person group was a gaming experience that has not been matched. It was a total blast. But it does mean variety goes out the window - these guys are hardcore, and no other games will be touched until FH is complete.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote:Yeah, I’m dropping back to just the core expansion. I was going to get the stretch rewards for the first Kickstarter, but I worry about the shipping going through the roof with two bigger boxes. Plus, I think I’ll have enough to enjoy with the first three seasons.
Not to try to entice you into sin… but the First KS Stretch box really adds a lot. So many really cool investigators (e.g Einstein). I would back that before Season 4 if I had to choose.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The stretch rewards for the new expansion seem like much more to me. There's a crap ton of investigators, monsters and episodes. Far more than the add on I dropped.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Unspeakable box (the stretch goals from the first KS) is something you need, imho.

5 plastic dashboard trays
18 Investigators miniatures and boards
DAGON elder one box (4 minis, 13 cards, 15 tokens)
YOG-SOTHOTH elder one box
LOST EPISODE 1 box (3 minis, 25 cards, 10 tokens)
LOST EPISODE 2 box (4 minis, 25 cards, 10 tokens)
LOST EPISODE 3 box (28 cards, 8 tokens)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was going to, but I just can't justify another 125 bucks when I'll be lucky to play through everything that's coming with the core expansion. I already have seasons 1 and 2, and both the elder gods that were available for purchase outside those two.

However, as I'll be able to add it in the pledge manager later, I reserve the right to fold like last week's laundry.

what does adding a time frame to that metaphor for laundry actually do? :?
Covfefe!
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

How do you guys feel about Oathsworn?
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I talked myself out of the game after wanting to get the minis version and coming to terms with having no room, but after watching this I'm likely going to just back the standee version instead.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I’m in for the standee version.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

One thing that really pushed me over the edge is the fact that it's a boss battler. I don't have any boss battlers in my collection with the exception of Vagrantsong, and that one to me doesn't really *feel* like a true boss battler due to all the objectives and other things you're doing at the same time. Considering my chances of ever owning Kingdom Death Monster are slim to none, I really wanted to dip my toes in the genre.

Also went with the standee version because I think my days of paying for, painting, and storing a ton of minis is over. I was souring on minis even before shipping costs became a deterrent. Vagrantsong (which uses only acrylic standees) convinced me that I didn't need them to have a great time.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

My problem at the moment is that I don't really like the look of the standees but yeah, 99 USD in shipping for the minis version... I might just pass up on this altogether.

And the other part of my brain tells me to just go for it because it looks so awesome and gets such good reviews :tjg:
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not watching it. Gotta stay away from Kickstarter for the foreseeable future. Not watching. :snooty:

It's going to test my willpower enough when Maladum hits, especially for the terrain.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:57 pm My pending Kickstarter list has shrunk since I last posted it in May. Thank goodness.

Shikoku 1889 - I'd guess this is coming around April of next year.
Distilled - The publisher says Q1 2023. Seems reasonable.
Stationfall - The boat is supposed to arrive in the U.S. mid-November, so there's an outside chance this will arrive before the holidays. Not counting on it.
Glorantha: The Gods War - I'm never getting this, am I?
I was feeling proud of myself for keeping this list short, then I remembered that I've backed several GMT P500 games recently. So maybe I'm not doing such a good job of limiting my purchases.

Red Dust Rebellion - on track for mid-2023, I'd guess
Cross Bronx Expressway - late 2023?
Zheng He: Admiral of the Ming Voyages - not yet in the production queue
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:13 pm Considering my chances of ever owning Kingdom Death Monster are slim to none, I really wanted to dip my toes in the genre.
The fact that I do own KDM is one of the things that stops me from backing Oathsworn. I get tempted each time I see it, then remember how much of a beast I already have sitting on my shelf (and in my minis storage bags, and in my painted minis cabinet) and understand that I just don't have any room or time for something new like this.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:31 pm The Unspeakable box (the stretch goals from the first KS) is something you need, imho.

5 plastic dashboard trays
18 Investigators miniatures and boards
DAGON elder one box (4 minis, 13 cards, 15 tokens)
YOG-SOTHOTH elder one box
LOST EPISODE 1 box (3 minis, 25 cards, 10 tokens)
LOST EPISODE 2 box (4 minis, 25 cards, 10 tokens)
LOST EPISODE 3 box (28 cards, 8 tokens)
And I just realized I already bought Yog-Sothoth separately a while back, so that's that then.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You can never have enough YOG SOTHOTH, imho.

For those wondering who the mysterious shipper will be for CMON's Zombicide: Undead or Alive project, being delivered now-ish
Spoiler:
It's Miniature Market. I did not see that coming.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:43 pm For those wondering who the mysterious shipper will be for CMON's Zombicide: Undead or Alive project, being delivered now-ish
Spoiler:
The only outstanding kickstarter I don't have a shipping notice for. That's too bad, I could just sell it unopened at the CON this week. :P

On the other hand Mind MGMT is coming via UPS (sitting at label created, in GA) and I really hope it gets here before the con is over so I can play it there.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:43 pm You can never have enough YOG SOTHOTH, imho.

For those wondering who the mysterious shipper will be for CMON's Zombicide: Undead or Alive project, being delivered now-ish
Spoiler:
Given that they're both owned by Asmodee, it's a little less surprising.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, that's what I ultimately concluded. Very strange times.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just to show that I don't only follow the big AAA projects, here's a ~$9 print-and-play Roll'n'Write style RPG:

There's one level for $6 that is all you need to play or the "all in" level for ~$9) that includes optional standees, a bonus map, and some paper craft to enhance the experience. Since it's all print and play, delivery is next month. :wink:
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Just got my shipping notification for Frosthaven. I don't think I've ever waited this long for a package.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Miniature Market is on my shit list. They went from filling orders next day (with 1 day delivery up the highway to Chicago) to 2-4 weeks (plus 4 days of USPS delivery), while filling my inbox with daily “deals” that are warmed over rejects. Their “delays due to our new facility” is just an excuse to cover a collapse in customer service.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

You bastards. I backed Oathsworn.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

Frosthaven just arrived. I'm now the owner of mountains of cardboard sheets to punch out. They took the very nice step of including plastic storage trays with relatively detailed directions on where to place everything in those trays. You Gloomhaven folks will know that there are TONS of little cardboard markers for conditions (a few more in this new game) plus all the monsters, map tiles, damage markers, hex overlays, magic school icons, etc. 27 heavy cardboard sheets. Loving the anticipation. Will be playing it with my boys this weekend.
No sig, must scream, etc.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have ONE board game kickstarter left! Almost done with kickstarter forever and would be if it weren't for Brandon Sanderson.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not recommending it, just sharing for those that want to see what they're doing

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:16 pm Not recommending it, just sharing for those that want to see what they're doing

I’m trying hard to resist thins one. The gameplay vids I’ve seen look really solid and the IP is one of my absolute favorites.

We’ll see if the willpower holds out…
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.