TitanFall 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lordnine

TitanFall 2

Post by Lordnine »

Is there really no TitanFall 2 thread here? I guess that shows that multiplayer games aren’t really big on this forum. :lol:

So let’s talk about the single player which most people probably don’t even know exist!

I just finished the campaign today. I really wasn’t expecting much from the campaign on this one but I have to say I was kind of blown away; this is one of the best FPS single player campaigns I have played in a long time.

Every section felt unique and a couple did things I’ve never seen in a game before. One of which introduced a new mechanic that felt like it could have been expanded into a whole game of its own.
Campaign length is about 6-8 hours depending on how good you are, which to me is about perfect for a game like this. Multiplayer is pretty good too, although player base seems disappointingly small. Whoever decided to launch the game the week after Battlefield 1 was an idiot.

Anyways, recommended, if not for the whole packaged, pick it up on sale for the Single Player.
Last edited by Lordnine on Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
baelthazar

Re: Titan Fall 2

Post by baelthazar »

They dropped this in price almost two weeks after it released. I am guessing sales were down due to Overwatch (new patch and Sombra) and Battlefield 1 (why did EA put them so close on the release calendar). I will probably get it later, when even cheaper. It looks very fun!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

baelthazar wrote:They dropped this in price almost two weeks after it released. I am guessing sales were down due to Overwatch (new patch and Sombra) and Battlefield 1 (why did EA put them so close on the release calendar). I will probably get it later, when even cheaper. It looks very fun!
Same
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I played the first Titanfall, which reinforced for me (again) that any sort of MP shooter just isn't my thing at all. As a result, I had ignored TF2 completely.

Heard last week at GT that there was a single player campaign, and that it was actually quite good. That certainly piques my interest as I love the idea of stomping around in a mech, but don't want to do it in MP. If there's a good single player campaign, I'll definitely pick this up at some point.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Skinypupy wrote: That certainly piques my interest as I love the idea of stomping around in a mech, but don't want to do it in MP. If there's a good single player campaign, I'll definitely pick this up at some point.
It’s very good but be aware you actually spend more time on foot than in a mech. There is a lot of wall running acrobatics and things like that. It’s all very fun.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I've read great things about it and am looking forward to it, but my multiplayer time is all BF1 right now, so it'll be a while before I get around to Titanfall 2.

EA really screwed the pooch by releasing their two premier multiplayer game within a week of each other. I imagine that Titanfall's developers must be furious.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

It's kind of a shame - if the SP campaign was longer I'd pick it up at full price. Since I'm not planning on a lot of multiplayer, though, I feel like I have to wait for a sale.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lordnine wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: That certainly piques my interest as I love the idea of stomping around in a mech, but don't want to do it in MP. If there's a good single player campaign, I'll definitely pick this up at some point.
It’s very good but be aware you actually spend more time on foot than in a mech. There is a lot of wall running acrobatics and things like that. It’s all very fun.
Is this out now? I've read the occasional article that crosses my view, and even though I got Titanfall well after its release, I had a TON of fun with it.

I'm a little worried about the grappling hook mechanic, as that would seem to completely dominate the wall running aspects. In the first game, you had to actually find a path to the top of buildings and such. It wasn't hard, but you had to wall jump and jump across gaps in buildings. Now the grappling hook would seem to remove that part of play. You might be more mobile, but it's a less interesting form of mobile. If you see an enemy titan on the other side of a wall, you had to run up the stairs in the building to get a good clear shot from height. Now you just need to grapple once and you're good to go? I'm sure it'll play fine, but...

And as L9 said, you spend a lot of time on foot. That just makes the titan that much more meaningful when you get it. It helps that the game is fairly balanced (at least the first one) whether you're on foot or in the titan.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

GreenGoo wrote: I'm a little worried about the grappling hook mechanic, as that would seem to completely dominate the wall running aspects.
The grappling hook is an optional loadout; alternatively, you can take things like invisibility or the ability to temporarily see through walls. This loadout system basically replaces the burn cards from the original.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, that it's a loadout choice helps some. I don't actually know how the grappling hook works in Titan Fall 2, but if it works like I've experienced in other games, it's an instant "I was here but now I'm over there" where "over there" could be the top of a 10 story building, across a street from building top to building top or rodeoing from range (which may or may not be great, from a game balance and experience perspective).

The mobility (but not too much mobility) of the first game is a lot of what made it great.

I don't have any experience with the Battlefields or the Calls of Duty, so I don't know how it compares to some of those games.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

FWIW, I've put in a good chunk of time into multiplayer and I've hardly used the grappling hook at all. If I want to get somewhere, I can almost always find a way to wallrun and jump my way to it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Good. Wall running and parkouring was one of the fun things about the first one,and it was always fun to run around a corner only to come face to face with an enemy using the same route in the opposite direction. I was fearing that the grappling hook would remove that aspect of play.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Grappling hook is more about convenience than anything. It can save you some time but it has a drawback as well. When you use it, it makes your travel path entirely predictable which makes you an easy target for anyone who is watching.

As a sniper, I love when I see people trying to get around with grappling hooks.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lordnine wrote:Is there really no Titan Fall 2 thread here? I guess that shows that multiplayer games aren’t really big on this forum. :lol:

Have you tried searching under one word like it's spelled :P Titanfall 2 :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

naednek wrote:
Lordnine wrote:Is there really no Titan Fall 2 thread here? I guess that shows that multiplayer games aren’t really big on this forum. :lol:

Lol, I typed "Titanfall", then saw the thread subject line, then thought "might as well keep it consistent" because I couldn't remember which was correct.

Ah well, we'll live.
Lordnine

Re: TitanFall 2 (naednek is mean!)

Post by Lordnine »

naednek wrote:

:P
Skinypupy

Re: TitanFall 2

Post by Skinypupy »

I just finished the single player campaign, and thought it was surprisingly excellent. I'm not so one who generally plays shooters, but found myself completely engrossed in this. Jumping around like Nightcrawler was nearly as much fun as stomping around in a mech, which was a pleasant surprise. A couple levels were absolutely brilliant, especially the "time travel" one. Doubt I'll touch the multiplayer, but the 7 hour campaign was definitely worth the $40.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:I just finished the single player campaign, and thought it was surprisingly excellent. I'm not so one who generally plays shooters, but found myself completely engrossed in this. Jumping around like Nightcrawler was nearly as much fun as stomping around in a mech, which was a pleasant surprise. A couple levels were absolutely brilliant, especially the "time travel" one. Doubt I'll touch the multiplayer, but the 7 hour campaign was definitely worth the $40.
I just finished Effect and Cause, and I'm really enjoying the campaign so far. the platforming is actually really, really good, with some nice (literal and figurative) twists. The Titan battles are pretty satisfying too.

On xBox if anyone else is later for when I actually finish the campaign and have a go at MP.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just watched a youtube ad. Probably old at this point, but man it was sexy as hell. Having played Titanfall it really got the juices flowing, although there was a lot more hand to hand than I expected. Not sure that makes sense or how that would work in a game that was almost all ranged combat except for neck breaking.

Great ad.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My Mtn Dew bottle has a code for 2x xp and some kinds rewards for Titanfall 2. Not sure how to use it you'll have to figure that out. I dont have the game so posting it here for you all. First come first served deal. If I get more Ill post them too.

TF7TBPPSYX
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

EA site has it for 40 bucks.

Might pull the trigger. Maybe. Avarice versus miserly. Who will win?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Only $30 on Xbox from MS countdown sale with gold.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Pulled the trigger at $40 and played some MP with a buddy last night and it was fantastic.

I now have Battlefield 1, CoD, and Titanfall. Great time if you like MP shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The game has sorta porked me in my butthole. I was a good ways into the area where you search for Maj Anderson then go back and forth in time. Today it made me get a 1 gig patch and when I go to continue my campaign its making me start back at the beginning of this entire area. So all i did in the area is wiped away. Sigh. Too mad to play right now.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Just picked up the Titanfall2 and Battlefield 1 bundle on PS4 for $50 via PSN.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

If I could find Titanfall 2 for 25 bucks for the PC I would probably bite.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Done. I can live with that ending for once. :)
KDH

Post by KDH »

Enlarge Image

:coffee: According to Blues .. Titanfall 2 is offering a FREE weekend, starting NOW ... the Origin Page has a link for a trial
Titanfall 2 Free Weekend

[Mar 31, 2017, 09:48 am ET] - 3 Comments
The promised free weekend is now underway for Titanfall 2. The Origin page for the mech shooter now has a link for a trial, which will put the game in your library for the duration. Here's a refresher of what to expect if you dive in:

Call down your Titan and get ready for an exhilarating first-person shooter experience in Titanfall® 2! The sequel introduces a new single player campaign that explores the bond between Pilot and Titan. Or blast your way through an even more innovative and intense multiplayer experience - featuring 6 new Titans, deadly new Pilot abilities, expanded customization, new maps, modes, and much more.
Ain't nobody got time for that
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks, I'll take a look. There is a chance I'll lose access to my Steam account temporarily this weekend so this is the perfect time to try out Titanfall 2.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I saw that and wanted to try, but at 36GB to download, that would mean my weak-sauce internet connection would have me playing at some point on Sunday. Cheap disc copies of the original are still to be found on Amazon, so maybe I'll just go that route. :(
Maybe next year, maybe no go
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Do we know if it includes the entire SP campaign? Because in that case I might want to marathon through that and I'll never need to actually buy the game. :D
There is no hug button. Sad!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, I don't think it does. I believe it's only providing access to the MP part of the game, as per Destructoid. You can do training and a single campaign mission. A solid "try before you buy" experience.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Booooo! urns.
There is no hug button. Sad!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, I saw that and wanted to try, but at 36GB to download, that would mean my weak-sauce internet connection would have me playing at some point on Sunday. Cheap disc copies of the original are still to be found on Amazon, so maybe I'll just go that route. :(
Yeah, I won't be playing until Saturday or even Sunday myself.

How cheap is cheap? I tried to go to amazon myself but then "meh, it's too much work" and I stopped clicking on stuff.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Need to be careful on Amazon now - there are many vendors that "just opened" selling copies. It's not just games, it's happening with all kinds of products. Don't just focus on the prices, focus on reviews/ratings of the vendor. There's new disc copies for about $9 shipped. Considering it was down to like $5 at one point, that might not be the best deal, but it's still pretty good.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That's...crazy. Suddenly I'm paying attention.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

GreenGoo wrote:That's...crazy. Suddenly I'm paying attention.
I think Smoove is referring to Titanfall 1. I'm not seeing any copies of 2 that cheap.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, I saw 6 dollar Titanfalls, but nothing below 40 canbucks for titanfall 2.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The cheapest Im seeing is $32.50 from Walmart. Unless you want to go grey area and then its like $21.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Looks like the only single player in the trial is a tutorial/training mission. I didn't try it yet, but it's the only option (besides Buy Titanfall 2) listed under single player and it's called "training".