Red Dead Redemption 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rumpy

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by Rumpy »

Oh, in that case I completely understand and see what you mean. There's a late-game mission that throws you for a loop in that respect, but thought it was pretty well done as you really don't expect it happening quite in the way that it does. But it's done purposefully to the narrative.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I have to admit, I'm struggling a bit to get into this game. I can't put a finger on one particular thing, but I think it's the pace/controls, according to the progress indicator I'm 9% of the way into the story.

Anyway, I have a question if this is a bug or just how the save system works. I have just made it to the hilltop camp (whatever it's called), and went to hunt a bear with one of the residents. After the first bear encounter I decide to stay back and hunt the bear while that guy goes back to camp. I saved my game at this point, because I suck with the controls and figured I'm going to die a few times. Well, I was right, I did die, then I load up that save and once it's loaded, I'm not where I was when I saved. I'm down by a river with some cabin next to it.

Is that a bug or am I missing something?
-something witty-
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im in your boat too I think. Got to hill camp. Controls Im not grasping. I die I end up weird places. I think if I had it on PC id enjoy it. PS4 is not the same. I did get that bear though....then I lost the skin because I took a shortcut across a farmers field and they kill me for some damn reason. Now the pelt is gone.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

infinitelurker wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:46 pm
No, they're just game mechanics. The game will always save in the general venicity, rather than directly at the location. It's an attempt to put you in a randomized location to show off the beautiful landscape they've created. Similar to GTA V simulating the characters having lives even when the game is turned off.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The Steam page is up and the game will release on Dec 5. Get your saddles and six shooters ready!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I heard some cowboy simulator got released today.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Is there a way to add it to your steam library if you have the pc version from Rockstar games?
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

UsulofDoom wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:14 pm Is there a way to add it to your steam library if you have the pc version from Rockstar games?
In Steam, select the Games menu, then "Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library". Steam should autodetect the game if it's already installed, but you can also manually browse to find the executable if it doesn't. You still need to have the Rockstar launcher, though. Steam will start the Rockstar launcher, if necessary, and that will start the game.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Steam will also let you start other game launchers.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If I own RDR2 on PS4 can I play RDR2 Online on the PC? Is it a separate software or does it require the original stuff?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think it's all separate. You'd have to own RDR2 on PC to play RDR2 on PC.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well then Ill never play. Thats a shame.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

What exactly were you expecting, this being Rockstar? They love to encourage double-dipping. There's no cross-platform play as far as I know of.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I don't think Rockstar has ever offered any buy across platforms promotions, have they? Microsoft does across Xbox and Win10, but even the new Rockstar Store/Launcher doesn't give any credit for games purchased on other platforms. They want you to repurchase early and often.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:25 pm What exactly were you expecting, this being Rockstar? They love to encourage double-dipping. There's no cross-platform play as far as I know of.
Well I thought the online game was free and was on pc and I could play as long as I owned rdr2. Guess none of that is true.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:33 pm
Rumpy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:25 pm What exactly were you expecting, this being Rockstar? They love to encourage double-dipping. There's no cross-platform play as far as I know of.
Well I thought the online game was free and was on pc and I could play as long as I owned rdr2. Guess none of that is true.
It is, but you need to have bought the game on PC to have access to the multiplayer on PC. It's not like you can just download the multiplayer and play it that way. That's the way it's always worked for Rockstar and many other developers. Once you have the game, then you can play for without having to pay anything extra.
gbasden wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:44 pm I don't think Rockstar has ever offered any buy across platforms promotions, have they? Microsoft does across Xbox and Win10, but even the new Rockstar Store/Launcher doesn't give any credit for games purchased on other platforms. They want you to repurchase early and often.
Yeah, I don't think they have. And this being Rockstar , I highly doubt they'd go for that anytime soon. I mean, it'd certainly be nice to have and it would open up the playing field considerably. The night is still young though in this aspect. There are very few games that support cross-platform play, and I suspect more and more of them will eventually offer it. But it's all up to the individual manufacturers and not the developers themselves on whether it's possible.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

You can play RDR2 Online for free on whatever platform you bought RDR2 for, for sure. It just doesn't let you play on other platforms.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

gbasden wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:01 pm
You can play RDR2 Online for free on whatever platform you bought RDR2 for, for sure. It just doesn't let you play on other platforms.
That's assuming the game will actually run for you. Which is not the case for me. Been over a month that I've owned this game and still haven't even managed to get it to start.
Starts to load and then goes to a black screen. At this point I think I just have to get a refund. They're clearly not going to fix the problem.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

GungHo wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:12 am
That's assuming the game will actually run for you. Which is not the case for me. Been over a month that I've owned this game and still haven't even managed to get it to start.
Starts to load and then goes to a black screen. At this point I think I just have to get a refund. They're clearly not going to fix the problem.
That sucks! I'm sorry you have had such issues. I've got it on my desktop, my son's desktop and my gaming laptop and it's been working with no issues so I don't know how widespread it is.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

GungHo wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:12 am
Did you buy it from Rockstar or on Steam? It's worth noting and the version on Steam is not the same as the one from Rockstar. It's been apparently branched, and the Steam version doesn't have all the bug fixes that Rockstar's does to date.

According to a programmer's comment on Kotaku:
https://kotaku.com/borderlands-3-comes- ... 1840489371
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

UsulofDoom wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:14 pm Is there a way to add it to your steam library if you have the pc version from Rockstar games?
RDR2 purchased from Rockstar games used to not running if launched from steam client but that was before the release of Steam version so maybe they fixed the problem.

Earlier version can't start the Rockstar launcher so can't start at all. Then they fixed that but still crashed if launched from Steam.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I have the Rockstar version, and I can launch it from Steam (as a non-Steam game) without any problems.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Just a heads up, RDR2 is "free" on Game Pass for the Xbone.

Played through the intro/tutorial and I did the first "go to town" mission from the camp. Now I'm in town with no direction where to go next. Kind of pleased with that.

I have mandatory PTO tomorrow and my new boss said I am expected to actually take PTO (rather than WFH like I have been on PTO) so I plan to binge on RDR2 tonight until the wee hours, the only time I have time to myself to play. To that end, I'm starting some slow cooker beef stew around noon and have a bottle of rough whisky to drink.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I've been playing this a little again, and ran into a random encounter that really made me laugh.

I came over a hill and found about 15 guys in Klan robes getting ready to hold a cross burning, so I rode over, lit a stick of dynamite, and blew them all up in one go. Very satisfying. :lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't know what PTO was. I was thinking Parent Teacher Orifice but that didn't sound legal. I see now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Standalone Red Dead Online Next Week
Rockstar Games announces that a standalone edition of Red Dead Online will be released on December 1st, allowing players who do not own the full version of Red Dead Redemption 2 to play the multiplayer version of the wild west shooter. This will be on sale for USD$4.99, 75% off, until February 15, 2021.
I remember playing the first one with you guys on my Xbox 360. I might even have screenshots.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I can only hope this means they're planning on more work on it, because in its current state, there needs more to do. GTA Online is getting all the love despite RDR2 being the more recent game, and the Online has been rather neglected. Glad the Bounty Hunter role is getting expanded, as there isn't much to it beyond the Legendary Bounties and nobody really wants to keep repeating them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm guessing that they want to, but they need the player count to justify the development. This is probably to try and achieve that.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Thing is, they do have the playercount. Lobbies are full all the time, so much so that it's actually been causing problems with the game and some of its features. On the other hand, many people have been reluctant to play it due to lack of incentives and the fact that it's been neglected by Rockstar, often considered the Black Sheep by players. Minor things such as cosmetics have been trickling in while Rockstar gives GTAO large content updates. I've been playing for over a year now and I'm at around level 90, but it's getting to the point where there isn't much left to do beyond futzing around.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was under the impression that it was being abandoned by the player base. I stand corrected.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

No, I'd say it's fairly active. For a while, they had to limit the amount of players in a lobby because too many players was taxing the servers and it was glitching the game out and preventing people from completing objectives. The taxed servers even had the effect of limiting animal spawns and stranger missions and was all on Rockstar to fix because it'd been that way for a long time. Limiting people in servers was done temporarily, and the game was even working much better during this period, but they've been up to the usual for more than a month now, but the game largely has the perception by the player base that it's been Rockstar's black sheep, and that's pissing the player base off. Rockstar refuses to give it equal attention. Months have gone by with bunches of glitches and the most they can do is make more clothing options available. So, getting more players is not going to solve anything. Not until Rockstar actually takes a hard look at fixing things.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Reminder that starting today RDR2 Online is available for $5.

The standalone version of Red Dead Online is available from the PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store, Rockstar Games Launcher, Epic Games Store and Steam.

I wonder if it's better to buy from one than another. I was thinking Steam but figure it will have to run through the Rockstar launcher anyways.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wait.....is this Red Dead Online or Red Dead 2 Online? I could swear I played the original online with OO folk on the Xbox 360. Is this a new version or something for PC?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

And here are details about RDO's latest update. While GTAO gets a whole new island, RDO doesn't get much... and this is supposed to be the big Christmas update.

https://kotaku.com/red-dead-online-s-la ... 1845784937
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Details on how the new Bounties work. Rockstar didn't do a very good job explaining them and made the posters not stand out from the rest on the bounty boards. But someone took it upon themselves to explain what they've discovered.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeadOnline/ ... erm=k5zzr6
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Brian

Post by Brian »

Not sure if this was something introduced in the latest patch or not but a lot of people have been complaining about really low sound volume when playing RDR2. Volume everywhere else seems fine but when playing RDR2, super low sound.

The fix for this is, while RDR2 is running, open up your volume mixer (right click on sound icon on the taskbar then Open Volume Mixer) then look for the RDR2 icon in the applications panel (you may have to scroll right to see it) and then correct the volume there. This will fix the volume for this session. You may have to fix it every time you start a new session, I have to and so does the wife, but I've read some people claim that it fixed it for good. YMMV
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's possibily a PC specific issue, as I'm playing it on PS4 via a headset with no issue.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It was always too low for me on PS4 with headset. Its why Ive not played it but a couple hours all year. Waiting till I move the PS4 to the TV.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

With Cyberpunk 2077 coming out this week I might not have time for the game, but I'm going to install it on my new rig since I have plenty of SSD capacity. I never finished the original campaign and maybe I might give a look at the online portion as well. I played some online GTA V and it wasn't too bad.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold