News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

Re: News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Rumpy »

Speaking of original content, their documentary series on Three Mile Island is gripping stuff.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

JCC wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:13 am I enjoyed Mr. Harrigan's Phone. A SK novella well suited for adaptation. It's a slow paced chiller drama. It stuck well to the novella as far as I recall. It's not an awesome movie, but I thought it was a good one.
Yeah, I watched this over the weekend and had the same thoughts. Good, not great, and it was very true to the source material.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Last edited by Isgrimnur on Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:32 am The Mother

Enlarge Image
Is this the link you're looking for?
:wink:
Seriously, we do appreciate you doing this.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thanks. There's bound to be an error or two that slips in.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Issy was programmed to mimic human behavior and there is a variable we can have changed if we find the errors come to often. Frankly, I think it’s at about the right level, mostly perfect - but not enough to get too creepy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My issue is mostly with Issienet potentially getting the nuclear codes and misinterpreting a BAM.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:27 pm My issue is mostly with Issienet potentially getting the nuclear codes and misinterpreting a BAM.
Enlarge Image
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Holy shit, RRR. I'm 1 hour in and already :o :shock: :o :shock: :horse:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The movie is insanely over the top. I don’t like Indian films, and I still enjoyed the hell out of it. Marvel and DC would be wise to look at the director.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Couldn't RRResist; I made a dedicated thRRRead.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:24 am
JCC wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:13 am I enjoyed Mr. Harrigan's Phone. A SK novella well suited for adaptation. It's a slow paced chiller drama. It stuck well to the novella as far as I recall. It's not an awesome movie, but I thought it was a good one.
Yeah, I watched this over the weekend and had the same thoughts. Good, not great, and it was very true to the source material.
I watched and enjoyed it as well. But the book and this movie owe quite a bit to the great Richard Matheson’s Long Distance Call, and the equally great Twilight Zone episode Night Call that was adapted from that short story. Man, that scared the crap out of me as a kid.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:00 pm Man, Kleo is such a wild and weird show. I can't decide if I like it or not. The reveal at the end kind of made me wonder if I should pick it back up if it gets renewed. It's the kind of reveal that can be deflating, rather than exciting.
Spoiler:
It propose that Reagan helped fund the GDR. Like WTF :lol:
I just finished watching this and enjoyed it quite a lot. Netflix has commissioned a second season, so I'm looking forward to seeing the further adventures of Kloe and Sven.
Spoiler:
They did explain the Reagan angle, which is really just a riff on the Iran-Contra affair. It might have been better to leave the contents of the suitcase as an unseen MacGuffin, but I don't have any serious problem with how they handled it.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I guess I just found it a tad too far off the wall for my liking. But I do like the actress.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Spoiler:
Compared to Thilo's exit, the suitcase reveal was downright mundane. :coffee:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I meant the show overall, not just the suitcase :D Well, it kind of plays off like a Germoan version of Kingsman, I guess.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There's a little Kill Bill mixed in too.

It's stylized and over the top at times, but it works for me.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh yeah, definitely saw a bit of that in there too.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:07 am There's a little Kill Bill mixed in too.

Okay, looks like this goes on my watch list after all.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:57 pm
Max Peck wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:07 am There's a little Kill Bill mixed in too.

Okay, looks like this goes on my watch list after all.
We're talking about RRR again, eh?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I do love me a little over the top.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just a bump to remind everyone that S6 released today. Still enjoy the hell out of this show. And yeah, NSFW.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm ready for a nursing home. I just watched a Taylor Swift documentary.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I watched a documentary on Dexy’s Midnight Runners a few nights ago. After 9pm, I’ll watch just about anything if it means I don’t have to reach for the remote.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Max Peck »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:46 pm Finally watched this over the weekend (Mrs. Kub really doesn't want to watch anything but Shameless lately - we're on s6), and we really enjoyed this.

I had no idea that was eleven! Or Cavill! Or that it was based on an actual tale by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle until the delay due to the Holmes estate lawsuit and even then I didn't remember it from my Sherlock Holmes reading many, many (many!) moons ago. Has me wanting to dig up the story now - I think I have a complete collection on the Kindle somewhere.
Late to the party as always, I watched Enola Holmes today. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I have the sequel queued up for tomorrow.

It's based on the first of Nancy Springer's Enola Holmes Mysteries young adult novels, The Case of the Missing Marquess, rather than any of Conan Doyle's stories. Apparently the lawsuit wasn't about the plot, it was an attempt to claim that Holmes' "warm personality" as depicted in Springer's novels and the film was somehow under copyright.
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s estate and the creators of Netflix movie Enola Holmes have agreed to dismiss a copyright lawsuit over Sherlock Holmes’ emotions. Copyright Lately reported on the outcome today, noting that the court didn’t rule on the merits of the case, possibly indicating that the parties settled. So unfortunately, we don’t know if Enola Holmes’ take on Doyle’s famous detective violated copyright by showing a wider range of feelings and greater respect for women.

The Enola Holmes case hinged on Sherlock Holmes’ complicated copyright status. Most Holmes stories sit in the public domain, and stories like Enola Holmes — which reimagines Holmes (played by Henry Cavill) having a younger sister — can freely repurpose their elements. But 10 of Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories are still protected by copyright, and the Doyle estate argued that they depict a meaningfully different version of the character. (He’s more caring, less overtly contemptuous of women and friendship, and generally less of a jerk.)

Doyle’s estate claimed that Enola Holmes unlawfully used this copyrighted version of Holmes. And it sued author Nancy Springer, who wrote the original Enola Holmes series of books, along with Netflix, Springer’s publisher, and the film adaptation’s production company. The lawsuit’s defendants argued that Doyle’s estate was trying to copyright “generic concepts like warmth, kindness, empathy, or respect” — rather than any specific plot or character elements contained in those stories.

This lawsuit has revived a complicated legal debate over Sherlock Holmes. But the detective likely won’t be under copyright much longer: Doyle’s final stories are set to fall into the public domain in 2022 and 2023.
Additionally, it was interesting to discover that one of the characters (Edith, the hand-to-hand combat instructor) is based on a historical figure, Edith Garrud, who was a Suffragette jujitsu expert.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ooh, just saw that there is a new season of The Dragon Prince available.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I just finished the 10-part series on Jeffrey Dahmer. The acting was good, but goddamn, did this show need to be 10 episodes? There was so much filler that I was really getting pissed after three episodes, but I was already invested and ended up finishing it. It was just like Inventing Anna or The Hobbit. There is some good stuff there, but it needs to have about 75% of it cut. I can't recommend Dahmer at all, unless you just enjoy things being dragged out endlessly.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:02 pm Ooh, just saw that there is a new season of The Dragon Prince available.
Is goot. We're only halfway thru, tho.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:42 am I just finished the 10-part series on Jeffrey Dahmer. The acting was good, but goddamn, did this show need to be 10 episodes? There was so much filler that I was really getting pissed after three episodes, but I was already invested and ended up finishing it. It was just like Inventing Anna or The Hobbit. There is some good stuff there, but it needs to have about 75% of it cut. I can't recommend Dahmer at all, unless you just enjoy things being dragged out endlessly.
Looks like they're making a franchise out of Monster by turning it into an anthology series covering different serial killers each season.

I watched the first episode but haven't returned. Not sure if I will.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's probably already been discussed, but we're already halfway through "The Watcher" and I'm quite enjoying it despite Wife spoiling the end for me before we even started it. She says it's already departed enough from the source material that the ending could be different, so there's that.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:54 am
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:02 pm Ooh, just saw that there is a new season of The Dragon Prince available.
Is goot. We're only halfway thru, tho.
I watched it with my daughter and thought it got good, but wasn't entirely happy early on. I thought they made Soren a little too goofy and the humor was just a little too childish. Yes, I know this is from the makers of Avatar so I'm expecting (and enjoy) their mix of serious story with a lighter side... but the previous seasons of Dragon Prince had a perfect balance.

By the end they've found that balance, so I'm happy. Can't wait for more.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:44 am Looks like they're making a franchise out of Monster by turning it into an anthology series covering different serial killers each season.
You get a little taste of that in the last Episode of Dahmer.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:48 am It's probably already been discussed, but we're already halfway through "The Watcher" and I'm quite enjoying it despite Wife spoiling the end for me before we even started it. She says it's already departed enough from the source material that the ending could be different, so there's that.
As I was already familiar with the story I can't bring myself to watch it. I don't understand how they could make it interesting enough to keep my attention.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Octavious wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:06 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:48 am It's probably already been discussed, but we're already halfway through "The Watcher" and I'm quite enjoying it despite Wife spoiling the end for me before we even started it. She says it's already departed enough from the source material that the ending could be different, so there's that.
As I was already familiar with the story I can't bring myself to watch it. I don't understand how they could make it interesting enough to keep my attention.
They dont.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Octavious wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:06 pm
It's structured like a whodunnit, wherein virtually every character is under suspicion and some narrators are unreliable. They do a good job of building suspense and a sense of menace.