News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Holman »

Malificent wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:40 pm Indiewire totally savages Rebel Moon, Zack Snyders newest film.

https://www.indiewire.com/criticism/mov ... 234935678/
The cinematic equivalent of an NFT.
The Guardian gives it 1 out of 5 stars.
The director’s attempt to replicate Star Wars for smartphones is an ugly, unforgivably dull and self-serious mess
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:19 pm Ouch, that's too bad as I was really looking forward to it. However, I've also long come to the realization that Zack Snyder misses more than he hits with me so it's not a total shock.

Yeah, that and it's a Netflix movie, so I was being cautiously optimistic about this one.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oof….i wonder if they committed to part 2 before the reviews started rolling in.

It’s strange to watch Snyder slowly turn into Uwe Boll. He started strong with the Dawn of the Dead remake and 300. But it all started going downhill after that.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Malificent wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:35 pm I have watched the first 5 episodes of Blue Eye Samurai and it is amazing. The animation is fantastic, the action is incredible and the story is beautiful, poetic, and tragic. It's about a blue eyed samurai during the period in Japan where they were completely closed off from the world. I won't say more than that other than it is completely worth your time.
This just got renewed for a second season, so I will use this opportunity to rave about this show again. It is a clear top 5 of this year for me and may end up as my favorite.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I've only watched the first two episodes so far, but they were entertaining.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Holman wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:20 pm
Malificent wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:40 pm Indiewire totally savages Rebel Moon, Zack Snyders newest film.

https://www.indiewire.com/criticism/mov ... 234935678/
The cinematic equivalent of an NFT.
The Guardian gives it 1 out of 5 stars.
The director’s attempt to replicate Star Wars for smartphones is an ugly, unforgivably dull and self-serious mess
Not sure what everyone was expecting, but I enjoyed it. Looking forward to Part 2 in April.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Malificent wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:47 pm
Malificent wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:35 pm I have watched the first 5 episodes of Blue Eye Samurai and it is amazing. The animation is fantastic, the action is incredible and the story is beautiful, poetic, and tragic. It's about a blue eyed samurai during the period in Japan where they were completely closed off from the world. I won't say more than that other than it is completely worth your time.
This just got renewed for a second season, so I will use this opportunity to rave about this show again. It is a clear top 5 of this year for me and may end up as my favorite.
I blasted through this in two days and like I just don't watch TV so that's amazing. It's legit the only show I watched the entire year. :lol: And I loved it as well. I was screaming at the end and would have been super upset if there wasn't a season 2 coming.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Punisher wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:33 pm My wife and I just finished One Piece.
We both really liked it.
From what I can recall it stuck to the source material as much as possible.
It did take me a bit to get used to Luffy. I think it was his voice mostly. I think I was just used to the anime voice because it's very different but he grew on me and played the part well.
I'm really hoping they continue it but it's Netflix and we like it so it's probably gonna be canceled.
I wasn’t going to watch it as I’m not a big fan of anime these days. It all feels like a weird mix of kiddie shows mixed with adult content at times. But I was curious about this live action version as it has decent reviews.

It did nothing to convince me I’m wrong about anime. If anything it reinforced my opinion that most of it is just weird themes that shouldn’t be mixed being forced together for the hell of it…and then teens or children tossed in for the heck of it. But I ended up enjoying One Piece. And it’s almost completely due to the actor they got to portray Luffy. He should be annoying and cloying, but the actor is so sincere and obviously happy in the role that you can’t help but find him endearing.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wow, we just watched Maestro, the Leonard Bernstein movie that Bradley cooper directed and it's a tour de force. Both Bradley Cooper and Carey Mulligan turn in some amazing performances. Cooper must have really studied Bernstein's speech and mannerisms, as he completely transforms himself. Not only looks but sounds very different. Could see this one win a few Oscars. Best Netflix movie of the Year! :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:34 pm Wow, we just watched Maestro, the Leonard Bernstein movie that Bradley cooper directed and it's a tour de force. Both Bradley Cooper and Carey Mulligan turn in some amazing performances. Cooper must have really studied Bernstein's speech and mannerisms, as he completely transforms himself. Not only looks but sounds very different. Could see this one win a few Oscars. Best Netflix movie of the Year! :D
I was thumbing my nose at it, but you have convinced me to check it out.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I would even go so far as to say it might be his career defining role. He just completely disappears into the role, and you see Bernstein. Only his eyes give it away.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m late to the party on this one, but if you want a good Christmas movie, hit play on Klaus. It’s fantastic. What a great holiday family film. And it has an animated J.K. Simmons.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Watched Rebel Moon while wrapping presents late last night and it’s clear Zach Snyder has an eye for cinematic slow motion storyboard moments tied together with the most ham handed, inconsistent and terrible plots. What was sold as glorious and iconic cinema just falls flat on its face.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Zarathud wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:07 pm Watched Rebel Moon while wrapping presents late last night and it’s clear Zach Snyder has an eye for cinematic slow motion storyboard moments tied together with the most ham handed, inconsistent and terrible plots. What was sold as glorious and iconic cinema just falls flat on its face.
It's like watching a submarine fly out of giant space vagina, and I just can't look away.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have no desire to watch this one. I may just wait until the directors cut version comes out and see if that fixes any of the numerous complaints I’ve read.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's Snyder, and it's Netflix. What could go wrong, I wonder? :D

Funny thing is, I've been hearing a lot about how Snyder wants to continue his version of the DCU on Netflix, but licensing the characters would cost a pretty penny and I doubt Netflix would want to pony up after this is tanking.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fun fact: if you speed up all the slow mo scenes to normal speed, the movie is only 23 minutes long.

Fun fact 2: the body oil budget for this film was more than the 2022 GDP of Ecuador.

I’m watching this because I’m getting over a pretty bad cold and I’m stuck indoors this weekend. But I’m surprised at how bad this is. It doesn’t even look that good. The scenes of the different planets have on screen cards telling you they’re different planets because they all look the same. Everyone seems to join the group after a 9 second “ inspirational speech”. One of the characters has a heavy (and bad) Irish accent for some reason (space Ireland is a thing, I guess). And the weaponry appears to have been designed for Lego people (the main characters handgun is a brick with a handle).

Naming it Part One is less a sign of hubris and more like a threat.
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Wife and I just finished watching Rebel Moon and...
We liked it!
We thought it was a fun movie overall.
Definitely some things that push the suspension of disbelief past my limits a couple of times, particularly at the end with
Spoiler:
The destruction of the dreadnought. That was just WAAASAAYYYY too easy and convenient.
Also at the end Kora commits the standard and overabused sin of
Spoiler:
not makung sure the monster is dead. Although in all teality there should have been no way he survives that large fall onto what appears to be a solud surface.
Finally, while I can see some Star Wars influences this felt far closer to Warhammer 40k/imperium of man than Star Wars to me.
Looking forward to part two.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Punisher wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:12 pm Definitely some things that push the suspension of disbelief past my limits a couple of times, particularly at the end with
Spoiler:
The destruction of the dreadnought. That was just WAAASAAYYYY too easy and convenient.
Spoiler:
The Dreadnought wasn't destroyed. That was just some weird attack ship attached to a huge battery pack. As with so many other things where we were told instead of shown, the Dreadnought would be recalled with the 'death' of the admiral.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:14 pm
Punisher wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:12 pm Definitely some things that push the suspension of disbelief past my limits a couple of times, particularly at the end with
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The Dreadnought wasn't destroyed. That was just some weird attack ship attached to a huge battery pack. As with so many other things where we were told instead of shown, the Dreadnought would be recalled with the 'death' of the admiral.
Ahh ok.. clears it up a little but even then seems too far-fetched to have happened that way. Plus if it wasn't the ship i tjought then that seems like a weird and wasteful design.

Still enjoyed it as an entertaining popcorn movie but full disclosure I dont ask mych of my movies especially now.
Short version. Was I entertained and kept busy? If yes then its a good movie to me.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only thing I found even remotely enjoyable about Rebel Moon was the robot…and they sent him to part 2 less than 20 minutes into the movie.
He won. Period.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hepcat wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:36 pm The only thing I found even remotely enjoyable about Rebel Moon was the robot…and they sent him to part 2 less than 20 minutes into the movie.
Anthony Hopkins

Unless part 2 is what the robot did during part one, then I have no interest.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If the end of part one is any indication, he’s killing elk for headgear.

The whole movie felt like a less enjoyable Axe Cop. What I mean by that is Axe Cop was supposedly an animated version of a story the artist's 5 year old child was dictating to him. This is what Rebel Moon felt like. Although in this case, the 5 year old got drunk on schnapps and watched Star Wars first.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Thanks for the recommendation! I am 3 episodes in.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Thing is, with most Netflix movie exclusives, it seems any big-name famous director can get a movie made with Netflix, and it doesn't necessarily mean the script is any good, ie perhaps a rejected script laying in a drawer somewhere. I almost always brace myself for a major disappointment whenever it's a Netflix movie.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Octavious wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:17 pm
I blasted through this in two days and like I just don't watch TV so that's amazing. It's legit the only show I watched the entire year. :lol: And I loved it as well. I was screaming at the end and would have been super upset if there wasn't a season 2 coming.
PSA: Blue Eye Samurai now has a dedicated thread, in case anyone in this one missed it.
Rumpy wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:34 pm Wow, we just watched Maestro, the Leonard Bernstein movie that Bradley cooper directed and it's a tour de force. Both Bradley Cooper and Carey Mulligan turn in some amazing performances. Cooper must have really studied Bernstein's speech and mannerisms, as he completely transforms himself. Not only looks but sounds very different. Could see this one win a few Oscars. Best Netflix movie of the Year! :D
I watched this one over the holiday and agree--it was great, and Cooper was magnificent.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:57 pm

I watched this one over the holiday and agree--it was great, and Cooper was magnificent.
I was mesmerized by how much he'd disappeared into the role. He did not sound like Bradley Cooper. I wondered how he managed to do the nasally voice.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:37 pm Ugh, Leave the World Behind is the latest casualty of a Netflix movie featuring top-tier talent, in this case Julia Roberts and Ethan Hawke. Just a terrible movie all around. Supposed to be a post-apocalyptic movie, but the dialogue is just so casual, none of them actually selling the scenario. Just a casual stroll in the park to them. The movie just throws together a number of things slowly revealed throughout the movie that never amount to anything. And that ending! Argh, what an annoying ending. Slow buildup of a movie with no payoff.
I just watched this and yeah it was aweful, such a waste of acting talent and story potential. The movie literally just ends with zero closure. The story idea is good but the execution and pacing is horrendous.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Scraper wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:54 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:37 pm Ugh, Leave the World Behind is the latest casualty of a Netflix movie featuring top-tier talent, in this case Julia Roberts and Ethan Hawke. Just a terrible movie all around. Supposed to be a post-apocalyptic movie, but the dialogue is just so casual, none of them actually selling the scenario. Just a casual stroll in the park to them. The movie just throws together a number of things slowly revealed throughout the movie that never amount to anything. And that ending! Argh, what an annoying ending. Slow buildup of a movie with no payoff.
I just watched this and yeah it was aweful, such a waste of acting talent and story potential. The movie literally just ends with zero closure. The story idea is good but the execution and pacing is horrendous.
I mean, what the heck was the point of the deer acting the way they did? They never followed up on it. I feel it would have been interesting if they'd followed up on it as a clue to what was going on. They could have done so much more with the premise. And the ending felt played for laughs and was tonally dissonant.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I echo the thoughts on Leave the World Behind. Biggest waste of time watching a movie so far this year. And Julia Roberts' character was such an annoying hateful person. It was like Cabin At the End of the World (another movie I hated), but without the suspense.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Leave the World Behind was very much like a really bad M. Night movie, in fact I had to look it up to make sure he didn't direct it. Think The Happening and then make it even worse.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

On a scale of 1 Wahlberg to 10 Wahlbergs, how Wahlberg is it?
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:31 am On a scale of 1 Wahlberg to 10 Wahlbergs, how Wahlberg is it?
He could have easily been subbed in for Hawke here. In fact, he would have been a decent fit for Hawke's character. Maybe one of the worst performances by Hawke I've seen, but I suspect most of that was due to bad writing.

I'm not as down on it as others here, but it was very uneven. Could have definitely been a very good movie, but I think the casting was a bit off. And either Julia Roberts is the best actress in the world, or she really has some of that in her personality...because damn, she played that Karen to a "T". I suspect she MUST have a little of that in her to play it so convincingly (even if her abrupt attitude shifts toward certain characters was a bit unbelievable).

I think it was a movie trying hard to be another where there is "A Horror" happening off screen, constantly in the background, and it's only revealed very late into the movie, and even then only a "soupcon" as Jon Stewart says. :D Maybe trying to be 10 Cloverfield Lane (which, if you haven't seen that one, you MUST). Or the other one shot in the city and they never really showed the movie monster directly. Can't remember the name.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:31 am On a scale of 1 Wahlberg to 10 Wahlbergs, how Wahlberg is it?
Given that being very Wahlberg means it's terrible I'm giving a 10 on Wahlberg scale. He wouldn't have made this movie any worse regardless of the character he played. Heck it has Kevin Bacon in it and not even he could save it.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
He won. Period.