Isgrimnur

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:37 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:20 pm Troll

Enlarge Image
I'm thinking this may be awesome.

Consider me teased.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Re: News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Wow, Slumberland is a lot better than it has any right to be. A really fun movie with lots of heart and whimsy. I highly recommend this one.

Jason Mamoa and Chris O'Dowd are really great in it, and the dream sequences are really well done. Beautifully written too. It's easily one of the best Netflix movies.

One of the dream sequences had me cracking up; A scene with giant Canada Geese and a Canadian wearing a toque and a plaid jacket riding one of them. He says, "There's a Timmies about 400 klicks from here. That's Tim Hortons if you don't know." Later on near the end of the movie, the Canadian wakes up from his dream you see him lying on a couch with a bowl of popcorn, the camera zooms out and you see a hockey game on TV and he's politely cursing himself for missing the game.

I'm actually surprised that one of the best family movies turns out to be on Netflix. This should have been out in theatres with wide distribution. It's really that good. I don't even have kids and I really enjoyed it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've watched 4-5 episodes of Wednesday. Overall more dark less comedy. I was expecting it to be pretty much all comedy but there's a lot of murder and blood in this thing. So right now I'm disappointed but intrigued enough to carry on.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess it'll be time to start a thread in January? I didn't know this was a thing.

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That makes me feel old, as it still feels like only 10 years ago.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'll watch it once or twice because I've seen Debra Jo Rupp on stage and I trust Red Forman to keep those damned kids in line.
hepcat

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:01 pm
Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:37 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:20 pm Troll

Enlarge Image
I'm thinking this may be awesome.

Consider me teased.
Watching it now. Reviews are mediocre, and so far it’s basically one trope after another, but I love me a giant monster movie.

Update: oof, I would rate the story 2 out of 5 stars. But still….giant monster.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Del Toro's version of Pinocchio is enchanting and captivating, but it does go very dark in places. This is not a version of the story I'd be comfortable showing young children. I did feel it was a bit too long, sitting at roughly 2 hours. But boy is the stop-motion animation gorgeous. When everything comes together, it's a feast for the eyes. There are times you just get transported into the movie and forget you're watching stop-motion animation. Though I'm guessing they had the help of CGI in places, like the scenes on and in the water.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Started the new Dragon Age animated series last night, which I didn't even know was a thing until I happened to see a review on IGN. (seriously Netflix, with as much anime and fantasy shows that I watch and your algorithm didn't think to mention it?) Fairly impressed so far. The animation is excellent, the voice work is fantastic, and the story is interesting. I'm not sure how well it would resonate for those who haven't played the games (DA: Inquisition, especially), but there's a ton of easter eggs and character callbacks if you have.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's Netflix, what did you expect? :lol: Their discovery methods are terrible , and most of their shows don't even get marketing unless they're Stranger Things.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

You probably already know this, but it's the 2nd Netflix Dragon Age animated series.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:35 pm You probably already know this, but it's the 2nd Netflix Dragon Age animated series.
I did not know that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:35 pm You probably already know this, but it's the 2nd Netflix Dragon Age animated series.
It is? I don’t see any others on Netflix. I know they did a Dragon’s Dogma series though.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'll go back to my cave now--I was thinking of DOTA for some reason.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No worries. I just wanted to make sure I watched the first one if this was the second in a series.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:10 pm I know they did a Dragon’s Dogma series though.
I…did not know that either.

C’mon Netflix!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:
hepcat wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:10 pm I know they did a Dragon’s Dogma series though.

C’mon Netflix!
If you want some Dragons, check out ftp Century Age of Ashes. I'm having a blast with Dragon dogfighting

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Not sure if link to gaming forum entry will work. Looks weird on mobile tapatalk...

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Pulled a Daehawk and got lost time traveling. I totally didn't realize all the Star Trek stuff disappeared from Netflix back in July - all on Paramount+ now. Totally makes sense, but just figuring that out now...jeez.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Not here. Still on Netflix and on Crave also.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:33 pm
Skinypupy wrote:

C’mon Netflix!
If you want some Dragons, check out ftp Century Age of Ashes. I'm having a blast with Dragon dogfighting

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Not sure if link to gaming forum entry will work. Looks weird on mobile tapatalk...

My complete and utter failure in MP dogfighting in Star Wars Squadrons tells me this probably wouldn't be the best fit for me.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Nice thing is that Dragon fireballs are homing. ;)

Also on Playstation (cross platform).

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've been watching a new series called The Recruit. And I highly recommend it. Humor and lots of action about a CIA lawyer. :ninja:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We watched Enola Holmes the other night. It’s not perfect but it has some very good things going for it. Henry Cavill as her brother Sherlock for one. Really some top notch actors playing supporting roles.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:56 am Started the new Dragon Age animated series last night, which I didn't even know was a thing until I happened to see a review on IGN. (seriously Netflix, with as much anime and fantasy shows that I watch and your algorithm didn't think to mention it?) Fairly impressed so far. The animation is excellent, the voice work is fantastic, and the story is interesting. I'm not sure how well it would resonate for those who haven't played the games (DA: Inquisition, especially), but there's a ton of easter eggs and character callbacks if you have.

So I binged this tonight and watched all 6 episodes. I love the game and this scratched that itch.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:11 pm I've been watching a new series called The Recruit. And I highly recommend it. Humor and lots of action about a CIA lawyer. :ninja:
Thanks for the rec. Watched the whole thing in a few nights. The paranoid co-worker is classic. I liked Amelia, I thought at first she was just going to be a throw away, but she persisted.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

New Knives out movie is out.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoo hoo. Gonna watch it when I get back from visiting family.
Covfefe!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

FunFun, stylish, and visually gorgeous...
Spoiler:
...but ultimately lacks the charm and social conscience of its predecessor. I admit I'd have to watch it several times to piece together whether it all made sense, but superficially the final reveal was disappointing and the climax was preposterous. Maybe that's the point? I have no idea. I definitely recommend it for the fun characters and cameos alone, but it doesn't make the excellent impression the original did. (But then, I haven't re-watched that so I'm not certain it holds up. But in my memory it does.) One background character was a humorous but supremely unsatisfying red herring (unless I missed something... and I'm sure I missed many things).

Ultimately, I'm let down. (And this was one of the films I was most excited for this year.) Maybe that will change after I read the breakdowns. But as a parody and homage it's fantastic, and I look forward to part three. How can something so intentionally stale feel so fresh?

(Not really spoilers, but I don't want to taint the experience for anyone else.)

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
JCC

Post by JCC »

I enjoyed Glass Onion thoroughly. In fact, I think I like it more than the first movie. It lacks the completely ridiculous car chase scene from Knives Out, which for me was the worst bit from either movie. Absolutely loved the cast.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cross posting with the Knives Out thread so every sees this great interview with Craig.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So we watched all 7 Dragons Dogma episodes and it wasn’t as good as the Dragons Age show. Having played both games DD doesn’t lend itself to a short story as well and this treatment had to change things a lot.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:08 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:11 pm I've been watching a new series called The Recruit. And I highly recommend it. Humor and lots of action about a CIA lawyer. :ninja:
Thanks for the rec. Watched the whole thing in a few nights. The paranoid co-worker is classic. I liked Amelia, I thought at first she was just going to be a throw away, but she persisted.
Just finished this and would like to add my recommendation as well. It's a good watch...I really hope it gets a season 2
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m kind of looking forward to Cunk on Earth. A mockumentary history show with an Ali G approach.

Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm always a little uncomfortable when humor is just about one person being invited to a "serious interview" about their career, and the interviewer is actually just mocking their work.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's kind of like a roast, but then I don't like roast humour all that much because it does seem mean-spirited at times.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:11 am I'm always a little uncomfortable when humor is just about one person being invited to a "serious interview" about their career, and the interviewer is actually just mocking their work.
From reviews, it seems most of the subjects actually get into the mood of it and appear to have fun with everything once they realize she's a comedian...which they do pretty quickly. She's surprisingly NOT mean spirited and makes fun of her own character's stupidity more than anything else. However, I haven't watched the entire series yet. Just clips. It could become repetitive and annoying for all I know.

In any case, I'm fully aware that it's not going to be everyone's cup o' tea. Some folks just don't like uncomfortable or awkward comedy. They hate The Office, Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc. because they all swim in that comedic river. So if you don't enjoy that stuff, I would stay on the shore and well clear of this one.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:31 pm
Unagi wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:11 am I'm always a little uncomfortable when humor is just about one person being invited to a "serious interview" about their career, and the interviewer is actually just mocking their work.
From reviews, it seems most of the subjects actually get into the mood of it and appear to have fun with everything once they realize she's a comedian...which they do pretty quickly. She's surprisingly NOT mean spirited and makes fun of her own character's stupidity more than anything else. However, I haven't watched the entire series yet. Just clips. It could become repetitive and annoying for all I know.

In any case, I'm fully aware that it's not going to be everyone's cup o' tea. Some folks just don't like uncomfortable or awkward comedy. They hate The Office, Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc. because they all swim in that comedic river. So if you don't enjoy that stuff, I would stay on the shore and well clear of this one.
I didn't watch the clip until your retort piqued my interest. I snort-laughed a couple of times. I've seen her before, here and there, and she's quite funny IMO. But then, a British accent alone is worth a couple of tentacles up.