Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

telcta

Re: Amazon Prime TV/Movies

Post by telcta »

Just finished this on a recommendation and it was fantastic, laughed out loud many times. It should be on Freevee as well. It’s up for a few Emmys but I ended up going into this not knowing what to expect.
Spoiler:
It was incredible seeing how they put this show together and pivoted the story based on what the hero did. All the actors did an incredible job and James Marsden was hilarious (he’s up for an Emmy). Reading how they pulled this off was just as fun as the show itself.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was debating whether or not to try that show out. Guess I'll have to now. :D
He won. Period.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I enjoyed it. Quite a few odd things that might have tipped me off, like the jurors
Spoiler:
going onsite to do an investigation of the factory.

Also, I woyld think that James would have been dismissed IRL if the paparazzi showed up like they did.

I'm also not sure if they would put the jurors in a hotel for what seems like a civil case.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I binged through 8 (of 10) episodes of Daisy Jones and the Six over the past 3 days and have absolutely loved it. It's obviously very much based on Fleetwood Mac, and the combo of a great 70s soundtrack plus really decent original songs is the icing on the cake.

Fun fact - the soundtrack album is designed to look like the bestselling "Aurora" album that the band records on the show. Right down to the fictional record label and publicity photos you see them shoot in one of the episodes. I thought that was pretty cool.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote:I binged through 8 (of 10) episodes of Daisy Jones and the Six over the past 3 days and have absolutely loved it. It's obviously very much based on Fleetwood Mac, and the combo of a great 70s soundtrack plus really decent original songs is the icing on the cake.

Fun fact - the soundtrack album is designed to look like the bestselling "Aurora" album that the band records on the show. Right down to the fictional record label and publicity photos you see them shoot in one of the episodes. I thought that was pretty cool.
Guessing you bought physical media for this then, or is it digital artwork?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Pyperkub wrote:Guessing you bought physical media for this then, or is it digital artwork?
I haven't bought it but I've seen the vinyl version on a YouTube channel I subscribe to.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:55 am
Pyperkub wrote:Guessing you bought physical media for this then, or is it digital artwork?
I haven't bought it but I've seen the vinyl version on a YouTube channel I subscribe to.
:D :D :D A bit of both it appears ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:41 pm The Peripheral was among the 5% that was available, and being laid up sick for a day I watched most of the series (finished the last one yesterday at home). I hadn't read the book, I thought the cast was good. Is there going to be a season 2?
nope
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This may be of interest to fellow Canadians. Ernie Coombs was basically the Canadian Fred Rogers (they even worked together early in their careers), and some of my earliest memories are of his shows, Butternut Square and Mr. Dressup.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I call shenanigans!
This isn't a Canadian show. I didn't hear even one sooorree or aboot...
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The Great War of Archimedes. Prior to WW2, there is a split among Japanese admirals -- Yamamoto wants to build a new modern carrier, while other admirals are in favor of a new super battleship. Trying to sink the proposal, Yamamoto employs a young mathematician (who he found was hoarding all of the Geisha girls) to prove the cost estimate of the battleship was way off.

Very well acted, very compelling story. While the movie doesn't take it to the inevitable conclusion, Yamamoto would be proven right and the super battleships (two were built) would be sacrificed at the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

Could have been the perfect movie with a little more Geisha doing what they do best.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:45 pm Could have been the perfect movie with a little more Geisha doing what they do best.
Tea ceremonies?
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:29 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:45 pm Could have been the perfect movie with a little more Geisha doing what they do best.
Tea ceremonies?
Fortified with vitamin E? Sure. whatever it takes.
Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Tea ceremonies?
Thanks.
This is what I was thinking but couldn't get it from my head to my fingers.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:24 pm
Tea ceremonies?
Fortified with vitamin E? Sure. whatever it takes.
I think I know what you're implying but from what I recall, Geishas were rarely also prosecutors. I think they were more like hostesses.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Totally Killer

When the infamous "Sweet Sixteen Killer" returns 35 years after his first murder spree to claim another victim, 17-year-old Jamie accidentally travels back in time to 1987, determined to stop the killer before he can start.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I liked this the first 27 times I saw it. But the last 93 have felt uninspired.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Need to refresh the tropes every 5-10 years.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:56 am Totally Killer

When the infamous "Sweet Sixteen Killer" returns 35 years after his first murder spree to claim another victim, 17-year-old Jamie accidentally travels back in time to 1987, determined to stop the killer before he can start.

Thanks for tjis. I just added to my watch list.
I also had no idea that was Sabrina.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have been waiting for this one to come off the pay wall:

Apparently it is directed by Guy Ritchie.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
telcta

Post by telcta »

NPR wrote:Amazon Prime Video unveiled plans to introduce advertisements during shows and movies starting early next year — becoming the latest streaming service to embrace ads to keep its business growing.
Additional $2.99/mo. to Prime members to go ad-free.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Prime Video is a nice perk that comes with the free shipping deal. It is not for which I would pay extra.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

telcta wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:30 pm
NPR wrote:Amazon Prime Video unveiled plans to introduce advertisements during shows and movies starting early next year — becoming the latest streaming service to embrace ads to keep its business growing.
Additional $2.99/mo. to Prime members to go ad-free.
And Prime continues to shittify itself.

Ridiculous.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'd be more upset about this if I actually used Prime video all that often. As it stands, it's easily my least used streaming service.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:37 pm I'd be more upset about this if I actually used Prime video all that often. As it stands, it's easily my least used streaming service.
+1. I consider it a bonus that comes with free shipping, and will tolerate a few ads to keep it "free" since I haven't watched anything regularly there since The Expanse ended.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I am still trying to convince myself to let Prime go. I subbed originally for the free 2-day shipping, with the streaming as a bonus. Now that it's free eventually shipping, and given what they've done to their store and support (shudder), I'm thinking about bailing. There just isn't enough non-horrible programming to justify it beyond subbing for a month once or twice a year to catch up on things. It'll be a challenge to replace some of the other Amazon services I use, though (like Amazon Photos, which is how I move my photos around.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:06 pm
YellowKing wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:37 pm I'd be more upset about this if I actually used Prime video all that often. As it stands, it's easily my least used streaming service.
+1. I consider it a bonus that comes with free shipping, and will tolerate a few ads to keep it "free" since I haven't watched anything regularly there since The Expanse ended.
Not sure where to start…:D Prime is neither “free” shipping, nor do adding ads to Prime Video keep it from (not) being “free”.

It’s a continuation of the erosion of benefits they touted, while they continually increase the price.

Yes, I’m aware I’m a consumer and can bail at anytime, but I can also bitch about it.

They’ve had and still have plenty of exclusives that are amazing TV, and even several Academy award winning movies that came out of their studio.

This pales in comparison to the hatchet job they did to their music platform, screwing long-time customers like me who bought their digital music from them. Don’t get me started on that again…blood pressure, etc.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:08 pm Not sure where to start…:D Prime is neither “free” shipping
No kidding. Not only do you pay for the free shipping (you pay about $12/month for it), but a lot of the products that are sold there have their prices increased by roughly the same amount it costs to ship them. So instead of a $3 widget with $4 shipping, it's a $7 widget with free shipping. And your fee.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The cash back from our Amazon Chase Visa more than pays the annual fee. 5% on Amazon orders and 1.5% on everything else. I think we're >$400 in rebates so far this year.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:53 pm The cash back from our Amazon Chase Visa more than pays the annual fee. 5% on Amazon orders and 1.5% on everything else. I think we're >$400 in rebates so far this year.
Yep. That right there is the only reason I still renew.

But still bitching about the eroded perks dammit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:53 pm The cash back from our Amazon Chase Visa more than pays the annual fee. 5% on Amazon orders and 1.5% on everything else. I think we're >$400 in rebates so far this year.
I have approximately the same thing (Amazon Chase, approximately the same percentages), but all I get, essentially, is store credit. Like you, it more than pays the fee (in an indirect manner), but I also know that I could be saving a lot more by not buying overpriced stuff from them (thus saving money) and getting a benefit in a more useful form. But, as always, I'm stuck in a retail wasteland, and rely on places like Amazon for certain household items.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:51 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:08 pm Not sure where to start…:D Prime is neither “free” shipping
a lot of the products that are sold there have their prices increased by roughly the same amount it costs to ship them. So instead of a $3 widget with $4 shipping, it's a $7 widget with free shipping.
Increased from what? Compared to other online retailers?

I have an extension or three on my browser that compares multiple online retailers for the widget I’m viewing on Amazon and they very rarely get beaten (for the stuff I buy at least).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Compared to the same retailer's own shops. It's not for stuff sold directly from Amazon (not to be confused with stuff labeled as sold and shipped from Amazon), but that's getting rarer and rarer (Amazon is becoming less of a seller and more of a middleman distributor all the time.)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:59 am Whoo hoo, Upload season 2 starts March 11th!

Upload season 1 was a big surprise for me as I enjoyed it quite a bit….and I usually hate cyberspace stories.
And season 3 is up. At least the first two episodes.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:48 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:59 am Whoo hoo, Upload season 2 starts March 11th!

Upload season 1 was a big surprise for me as I enjoyed it quite a bit….and I usually hate cyberspace stories.
Well I missed the S2 announcement, so bully for me. S1 wasn't my most favoritest show of all time, but it was good enough to make me want to see more. I'll go back to this when I finish iZombie.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought it was witty and funny. But more importantly, the cast is just charming and have great chemistry.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’ll watch anything Greg Daniels touches at this point.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s all about Luke though
Spoiler:
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I thought Season 1 was great and 2 was a step back but was hoping they would do a Season 3.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles