What are your next major purchases?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: What are your next major purchases?

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:14 pm $10,000 to put a titanium plate (and hopefully, later, I give back) in my arm. Not sure when the bill will hit. And boy do I have angry stories to tell for how Michigan No Fault claims work. I get hit as a pedestrian, so the claim goes against my auto insurance first, househould auto second, and a state no fault auto fund last. Because I have auto insurance, they won't take my health insurance and I have a $10,000 injury deductible. As a pedestrian, that deductible would not apply if I didn't have Auto. And you can bet making a claim that will likely be a quarter of million in medical when all is said and done, my auto insurance is going to go up and I have to track all of the paperwork.

I try to stay positive, knowing I have no head or spinal injuries, and having known people who've died for less. But some days, it's hard.
Damn, man, sorry. Did you have a hospital stay? More than one surgery? Just wondering what the majority of that $250K is from.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:19 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:14 pm $10,000 to put a titanium plate (and hopefully, later, I give back) in my arm. Not sure when the bill will hit. And boy do I have angry stories to tell for how Michigan No Fault claims work. I get hit as a pedestrian, so the claim goes against my auto insurance first, househould auto second, and a state no fault auto fund last. Because I have auto insurance, they won't take my health insurance and I have a $10,000 injury deductible. As a pedestrian, that deductible would not apply if I didn't have Auto. And you can bet making a claim that will likely be a quarter of million in medical when all is said and done, my auto insurance is going to go up and I have to track all of the paperwork.

I try to stay positive, knowing I have no head or spinal injuries, and having known people who've died for less. But some days, it's hard.
Damn, man, sorry. Did you have a hospital stay? More than one surgery? Just wondering what the majority of that $250K is from.
I was only inpatient for three days and then I asked to go home. They wanted to keep me longer. I am hopeful that I will have a second surgery to remove the plate and screws and hopefully enough before winter that I get restricted and then off restriction before the first snows of winter. The plate is not comfortable and, well, once I pay the $10,000 that's the last of the cost for me for this injury theoretically for a lifetime as long as I make claims within one year of services rendered. The first surgery and associated stay and transport and etc... without after care was well above $150k from what I've seen so far. After care and PT are ongoing.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yikes, LM. Best of luck for as smooth a process as possible from here on out.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

So nothing happens to the guy who ran you down at all? Nothing comes out of his insurance? No traffic charges at all? My head would be exploding.

...and thanks to the others on the declarations feedback.
Stop funding for NPR
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

She got a ticket for failure to yield to a pedestrian and I have an attorney who will be going for pain and suffering, for which my surgery meets the threshold. My settlement will have nothing to do with medical costs related to no fault coverage or loss of work benefits, which I don't get because I quit my job so I could spend effort improving my health and start working on my house. OtOH, my auto insurance will pay eventfully my parents $20 a day every time they have to come over an mow the lawn for me.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Wow. Sorry to hear that. I can't even wrap my brain around *your* auto insurance being the first stop. I get that it's no fault but if I was to hazard a guess I'd think that pedestrians were rarely the cause of auto v pedestrian accidents and the cut should be in the other direction.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:13 pm Wow. Sorry to hear that. I can't even wrap my brain around *your* auto insurance being the first stop. I get that it's no fault but if I was to hazard a guess I'd think that pedestrians were rarely the cause of auto v pedestrian accidents and the cut should be in the other direction.
I can't either. It makes no sense to me but that's the law in the state since at least 2019. I get we're no fault, but as a pedestrian, I'd think my health insurance would be first coverage, but nope. The order for care for a pedestrian is pedestrian auto, household pedestrian auto, no fault pool from the state. I made a mess by sending everything to my health care provider, who dutifully made payments and then proceeded to work on copays, coinsures, deductibles, etc... but then my lawyer set me straight and I had to get AAA involved and everything went to hell in order to make things work the correct way. In the long run, it's better for me, I guess, as I lose my health care in October and AAA will cover this accident for life after the first $10,000. I've learned more about personal injury law in the last month and a half then I ever really want to and I still don't know anything except for when it comes to my responsibility for paying bills.

Edit, I'm off a little the drivers and car owners insurance comes before the state pool
Pedestrian Order of Priority

1st priority is to your own insurance, if none then...
2nd priority is to the insurance company of a resident relative (i.e. spouse, parent, or sibling), if none then...
3rd priority is to the insurer of the owner of the motor vehicle involved in the accident, if none then...
4th priority is to the insurer of the driver of the motor vehicle involved in the accident, if none then...
5th priority is to the State of Michigan Assigned Claims Facility.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That's messed up, LM.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I lived in Michigan for a year 2005-2006 and it was a no-fault state back then. It really is the most ridiculous system that screws over victims and drives everyone's premiums through the roof. There were a lot of things I enjoyed about my year in Grand Rapids, but that stupid last isn't on the positive list and I'm very glad it never truly affected me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well dont know what to do about my washer now. I pulled it out and took the bottom off. The good news is the belt is perfect. Looks brand now. I wish it was the belt. That would be simple for me to fix myself. The basket seems locked up. By hand inside the washer and grabbing the basket I cant turn it. But turning the belt and pulley underneath it I can freely spin it one direction but the other way is locked solid. And I have no idea and cant see why.

So now I have my washer pulled out, turned over blocking my back house entrance I use a lot. My only option is leave it apart and turn it back up enough to get it out of my way and have a repair man come out and fix it. Im not sure if thats cheaper than a used one off marketplace at this point. But I also dont have any way to haul a new one here or this old one off. If I could find one cheap enough that actually doesn't have problems of its own and they would deliver it then I could just toss this one up in my back yard behind the garage like we always did big old metal appliances in the past. Then I could give it to a junk man to come by and load up and haul away free.

I guess im stuck going to the laundry for now..and thats inconvenient and costly too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:42 pm Well dont know what to do about my washer now.
Homedepot has some cheap small units. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Appliances- ... rtby=price I don't know if they have free delivery, and pick up of old units. Don't know how good those small washers are either.
Stop funding for NPR
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:42 pm Well dont know what to do about my washer now. I pulled it out and took the bottom off. The good news is the belt is perfect. Looks brand now. I wish it was the belt. That would be simple for me to fix myself. The basket seems locked up. By hand inside the washer and grabbing the basket I cant turn it. But turning the belt and pulley underneath it I can freely spin it one direction but the other way is locked solid. And I have no idea and cant see why.

So now I have my washer pulled out, turned over blocking my back house entrance I use a lot. My only option is leave it apart and turn it back up enough to get it out of my way and have a repair man come out and fix it. Im not sure if thats cheaper than a used one off marketplace at this point. But I also dont have any way to haul a new one here or this old one off. If I could find one cheap enough that actually doesn't have problems of its own and they would deliver it then I could just toss this one up in my back yard behind the garage like we always did big old metal appliances in the past. Then I could give it to a junk man to come by and load up and haul away free.

I guess im stuck going to the laundry for now..and thats inconvenient and costly too.
Did you ever work? If so you could retire and get SS. You might want to check if it would be more than your current benefit.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe it's different where you are, but by me appliance repair is largely disappearing. A few months after we moved the washer that came with the house was acting funky so I called a guy in. It was a $99 site visit and then he told me it would be like $200 to repair in parts plus his labor. Basically...buy a new washer. If you're good at troubleshooting and sourcing cheap parts online, maybe it's worth it try and fix yourself. I have a friend that's really handy and he'd been doing that for 20+ years, but after dealing with a dishwasher repair (and making a catastrophic error), he finally just gave up.

When we purchased the new one, the old was was taken for free or for a cheap disposal fee.

Not sure what your options are there either.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:41 pm
Did you ever work? If so you could retire and get SS. You might want to check if it would be more than your current benefit.
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:01 pm Im on Social Security Disability not SSI. Also Im a DAC. A Disabled Adult Child. Ive had this disability since I was 14. Its worse.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:43 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:01 pm Im on Social Security Disability not SSI. Also Im a DAC. A Disabled Adult Child. Ive had this disability since I was 14. Its worse.
Is this directed at me? I only worked the odd job off and on for 1 year when I was 17 and found I couldn't do it. Couldn't keep a job. I draw off my dad's as a adult child.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:35 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:43 pm
Is this directed at me? I only worked the odd job off and on for 1 year when I was 17 and found I couldn't do it. Couldn't keep a job. I draw off my dad's as a adult child.
I think he was just providing the answer and practicing his quick answer searching skills, not making any kind of judgement.

I think the repair idea will be too costly if you can even find someone to do it. If you do buy a used unit I'd recommend to stay away from any with electronics and stick with the more old school models. Switches and rheostats good, electronics bad.
Stop funding for NPR
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And probably no Samsung. I plan to stick to an old top loader. I dont like front loaders. Always thought I would but using them at the laundry mat I feelk like they are weak..they dont get aggressive with the clothes . just sorta slowly tumble them..then the rinse seems weak too.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

American Freight (nee Sears Outlet), 5450 Highway 153 Hixson TN, 37343

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never seen a combo washer dryer. Mixing water in dryer sounds risky. Also those prices are WAY out of my range. Id hope to get this repaired or a used one for around $125 or less. Maybe even pick up a used dryer too. Just those aren't safe plus Id need both a hole cut in my house for a vent and a new 220 line run for it. I 'might be able to run that but dont trust myself to do it right or safely.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Just bought a new oven and I could not be happier.

Our igniter went out a couple weeks ago, I've had to replace it twice previously. Tried a new igniter this time and it would still not fire up.

I've hated this oven ever since we moved in, so this is an opportunity to upgrade. We went to look at a local store that is family-adjacently owned and they told us to come back this weekend for the Memorial Day sales. We got the same oven we were looking at last week for $800 less than it was then.

Finally getting rid of our shitty Roper brand circa 1984 oven! I use the oven and range top multiple times a day so this will be good.

Also, got a trip to Vegas booked in November. I just looked on-line and the rate for our week is $92 less, so I scooped up that cheaper rate. That $92 will buy like two cocktails!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

What oven did you get? We're about to do ours so I'm curious.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:18 pm What oven did you get? We're about to do ours so I'm curious.
Nothing fancy because I was more concerned with just buying what they had in stock. We are also limited by the fact that we need a 30" slide-in model.

We got a GE with convection and an air fryer mode.

If you are willing to spend there are some cool features on ovens these days...
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That's funny, as we also need a 30" slide-in, and our current choice is a GE induction model.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Z-Corn wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:41 am
Zaxxon wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:18 pm What oven did you get? We're about to do ours so I'm curious.
Nothing fancy because I was more concerned with just buying what they had in stock. We are also limited by the fact that we need a 30" slide-in model.

If you are willing to spend there are some cool features on ovens these days...
When you oven has an air fryer built inside it, it's FANCY :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Is there even a difference between convection and air frying? AFAIK both just use fans to circulate heat.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Is there even a difference between convection and air frying? AFAIK both just use fans to circulate heat.
Probably just a bigger fan. Convection ovens circulate air slowly, but they don't have the fast air movement to make things crisp like an air fryer.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Good to know, thanks.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Would love to get your feedback on how those work in reality, and if there’s a noticeable difference between the two settings.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I had been looking for a new bike for awhile (my Rockhopper being from the last millennium), and pulled trigger on a (relatively) reasonably priced ebike yesterday. Lightweight and name brand (wanted to make sure that if/ when I need to replace the batteries it would still be possible).

Ended up with the Trek Dual Sport+ 2 - a gravel ebike for all the mountain bike trails around here.

Shots of the bike and me up one of the local mountains on my test ride yesterdayImageImage

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:55 am
Would love to get your feedback on how those work in reality, and if there’s a noticeable difference between the two settings.
Oh trust, I will be scrutinizing the difference in settings. And I will report back...

From what I read from the owner's manual (because everybody downloads those before they get the appliance in-house, right?) the air-fryer mode uses high heat, with high-speed convection fan, with no preheat.

Shrug...we'll see...I never used a conventional air-fryer so I don't have anything from which to compare.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe one day Ill do the e-bike thing.

Post by Default »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:47 pm Ive never seen a combo washer dryer. Mixing water in dryer sounds risky. Also those prices are WAY out of my range. Id hope to get this repaired or a used one for around $125 or less. Maybe even pick up a used dryer too. Just those aren't safe plus Id need both a hole cut in my house for a vent and a new 220 line run for it. I 'might be able to run that but dont trust myself to do it right or safely.
Get a ride to the nearest Habitat for Humanity ReStore. Cheapest used (working) appliances in my area.
<edit>
Find out which day is senior discount, and if they have disability discounts.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hmm we do have a restore. Ill drop by there later this week.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 5:00 pm I had been looking for a new bike for awhile (my Rockhopper being from the last millennium), and pulled trigger on a (relatively) reasonably priced ebike yesterday. Lightweight and name brand (wanted to make sure that if/ when I need to replace the batteries it would still be possible).

Ended up with the Trek Dual Sport+ 2 - a gravel ebike for all the mountain bike trails around here.

Shots of the bike and me up one of the local mountains on my test ride yesterdayImage

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
I love your cycling jersey!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Bought bikes for the twins this weekend. They just barely fit the Jett 24", so that's what we got. Plenty of room to grow. Girl is riding like a champ. Boy hasn't figured out the art of starting from a stand-still and occasionally has issues maintaining a straight line once he gets going.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Busted my hand and made a bleeder of it trying to get the cock^%$% &%^%%^ agitator coupler off the washing machine hub. The bolt is out but the thing is stuck tight to the hub. Cant get to the hub nut until I get that coupler off.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

For several years, we've been paying $200 per month on a condo in Manila that's going to be completed next year. Now, I expect it will pay for itself (building will operate it as an AirBnB, it's a good downtown location, 11th floor overlooking the pool), but rather than finance it there, my wife wants to get a HELOC here and use it to pay the balance. This is the same time she's pushing me to retire, which could limit the money I can earn otherwise. We will still have to outfit the condo as well as the house in the province (also likely will be put up on AirBnB, but managed by sister-in-law). The house though is being funded by her egg farm.

Wife also wants to purchase a 10,000 SqM plot downtown in her hometown. She wants to develop an apartment building there, at least 12 units, maybe more with businesses on the ground floor. We'll not have enough passive income from that -- especially if we occupy the house in the province. She needs investors probably, or has to maintain her career here. She keeps going back and forth -- now she's pushing for us to move, but she's excited about the vacation now. When she came back from the Philippines last year, she wasn't so keen on it. If the kids aren't wowed by the whole experience, that could give her pause to consider. If she decides we will stay for now, then she'll go back to school for her RN -- she was made a supervisor where she works, and she currently has an opportunity to upgrade to assistant director, but she lacks confidence in her academic credentials to pull it off. They haven't offered it to her, but her colleagues are encouraging her to apply. She has no intention of working as a nurse in the Philippines, so any sign of ambition is a good sign for us staying here. I really want the kids to go to school here -- but she dismisses my concerns about them going to school there. Sure, they teach school in English there, but the kids don't speak to each other in English, and it won't be long until they are talking behind my kids backs in front of their face, with outright bullying hot on the heels. And it's many years yet before they are done...
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh I did go by the ReStore to look at washers. They used to have a dozen when I wasn't looking for one but now have one. Old model. Works. $200. No delivery. I can find one cheaper on Marketplace if I want. Im still trying to repair mine. Its not cooperating.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:57 pm she's pushing me to retire, which could limit the money I can earn otherwise.
My full retirement date is coming in October, whereupon I can start drawing SS checks without getting dinged for my income. I won't even dial back on working until we either figure out our retirement housing or my mind gets too far gone -- I just signed up with NVIDIA through next spring -- so for the next year or more "retirement" to me just means getting bonus checks with nothing else changing. Wife is setting herself up for a new retirement career (book author), so the politics of me ever being able to say "fuck it, I'm out" are dicey. I don't know if becoming a man of leisure is ever in my future.

Your wife seems to have a good head for business. It comes down to where you want to live. You could become a man of leisure in the Philipines...would you rather keep driving Ubers in the US? I'm guessing the the family politics are dicey.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:50 am Your wife seems to have a good head for business.
That might be an understatement. Hopefully the management company and family they're going to rely on are reliable and honest and right thinking. People also never think the same way you do. I've helped people to attain excellent credit in the expectation that they would eliminate their dependence on me, and instead they just went out and borrowed more with their improved credit rating. A loan that was supposed to get paid monthly gets maybe four payments a year, I would go without eating before I'd do that to someone else, particularly a friend, so I assumed... :doh:
Stop funding for NPR