Why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

RunningMn9

Why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality?

Post by RunningMn9 »

I don’t know, the game claims to support VR, but I can’t make it happen (using Oculus Link) to do it. I can get to my desktop and into steam and stuff, and when I run it, it asks me if I want to launch it in VR, but that’s as far as I get.

I would love to sit in the bridge of the Enterprise and watch Star Trek. How?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
DOS=HIGH

Re: Why isn't anyone here talking about virtual reality?

Post by DOS=HIGH »

I know I played it with the Quest. Did you try and run it thru the Oculus app on your PC? It should show you your Steam VR games.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

DOS=HIGH wrote:I know I played it with the Quest. Did you try and run it thru the Oculus app on your PC? It should show you your Steam VR games.
I will try again tomorrow. I didn’t run it through the Oculus App.
Make up bags of change
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:23 pm I don’t know, the game claims to support VR, but I can’t make it happen (using Oculus Link) to do it. I can get to my desktop and into steam and stuff, and when I run it, it asks me if I want to launch it in VR, but that’s as far as I get.

I would love to sit in the bridge of the Enterprise and watch Star Trek. How?
For the first part, I was referring to watching sports.

For the second, a couple of options:

#1 - on the Quest 2, install SideQuest. You'll want to do that anyway eventually. It's the officially endorsed third party sideloader. It's also great source for free games, development demos, this amazing collection, and a wide selection of custom homes (the place you're at when you boot the system.) This includes the TNG bridge, the TOS bridge, and, appropriately enough, a holodeck. Make sure you read the installation instructions, and be aware that until Oculus added custom home support a few months ago, the only way to add custom homes to overwrite one of the built-in ones. Older homes that haven't been updated for that still require overwriting the old ones (don't fear, though - they're easy to recover.)

#2 - on SteamVR. When you launch SteamVR (which is free, and you pretty much have to have to play most non-Oculus PCVR titles), you'll be in an environment (SteamVR's version of a home.) If you hit open the menu and open environments, you'll find a 'get more' option. The are huge numbers of options. For a better browsing experience you can just check out the SteamVR workshop in your Steam app/browser.

Some of my favorites. Trek:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... htext=trek
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... htext=trek (this one is cool as hell)

Non-trek:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1594890070
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =928179372
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1927046134
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1987345945
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2430107937
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2309021169
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1449138879

Also check out one of the cooler things for VR - photogrammetry, which is essentially a series of 360-degree photos taken of a location and stitched together by a computer into a fully 3d VR environment you can wander in. The Valve lobby also uses this, as do dozens of others worth discovering.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... ext=church
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... ogrammetry

You can then open a window of your desktop of pin a window of what you're streaming into the environment (in my example, you could scale it and pin it over the viewscreen on the Enterprise bridge - or you could watch the Lord of the Rings in Bag End, or any number of other things.

Note that streaming your desktop works much, much better with Virtual Desktop. You wouldn't need as good of a connection for that, as you're not playing a game with a controller where a little lag would be a problem.

One other app worth mentioning here, just because it's peripheral: Pigasus. It's a VR media player. It isn't perfect (it has trouble with some audio formats), but it is a VR app for watching local video files. It can also import the homes files from SideQuest for use as theaters. (As an aside, for a regular viewing app for almost any video file, Skybox is better, and if you want something to rent movies in - including 3d movies - BigScreen is fantastic (it also plays local files, and I love watching classic films in the Grand Theater.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:16 pm Just was looking to branch out a little. I would love to be able to try watching a live sporting event through VR, but I don’t know if that’s still a thing.
I think the NBA has something where you can watch games in VR (maybe through YouTube?). I'm not sure how well it works, but maybe worth giving it a shot.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

A while back, Fox was doing it for football. Would be cool to try. The Venues app does have some NBA games.
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Just a note. Being inside the Half-Life 2 world is everything I hoped it would be.
Make up bags of change
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, this is the first time I'm giving up on a VR game simply because it is so badly designed. Officially retired: Borderlands 2 VR. I have well over 1,000 hours in the Borderlands franchise, but this is unplayable.

The HUD is broken - it is squeezed down to the center third of the screen, and it is misaligned.

The controls are poor in general.

Aiming with a sniper rifle is impossible, as is any weapon with a scope (which is probably a third of all weapons) - there is no actual scope to look through. Instead, it pops up a 2d window with an image of the scope picture and with a sensitivity that is so high it's unusable. Link to YT video of the scope in action.

The melee is tied to hand movement (in the original it was tied to an animation with a cooldown), which means you can speed slap powerful enemies to death almost instantly just by flapping your hands.

The thing that really kills it, though, is that there's no way to aim. Literally. Look at the image below.

It took the screenshot from the wrong eye, so I added a red circle where I had the iron sights lined up. The red circle is where the gun is aiming. The crosshair is clear off to the right. And see the black dots on the ground? That's where the bullets are hitting, halfway between the iron sights an the crosshair. That means that neither is usable for aiming, and Borderlands is a game of precision aiming (every enemy has 'weak spots' that you need to be able to target.) This is likely related to the same issue that causes the interface to be misaligned (which also shows in the screenshot.) Unfortunately, it affects everybody who is playing this on any headset that starts with a 'Q', which is the vast majority of the market. There are piles of discussions about this very issue, with reports going back a year and a half of Gearbox just giving cookie-cutter acknowledgements and 'a fix is on the way.' But then they just started closing - without comment - any report of this issue. And there hasn't been an update in two years.

Gearbox released a completely broken game at $50, then abandoned it and most of their customers when they realized that it would take effort to fix.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I got some credit for a friend purchasing a Quest with my link, and picked up I Expect You to Die, and The Climb 2.

I Expect You to Die is a great little puzzle game. Just keep trying things and looking for clues until you don't die.

I tried The Climb 2 just now. That was thrilling and terrifying and I loved it. Did the first mountain in the Alps on casual mode and then on professional. I think I'll just stick with pro mode from now on. Casual mode take away all the hand stamina issues, but you don't get any rewards. I think I can manage stamina, at least so far. Man that was fun. Seems like EXACTLY the sort of game that VR is best at.
No sig, must scream, etc.
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

Speaking of climbing, make sure to check out the Emmy winning short “Free Solo 360”, which revisits Alex Honnold’s free climb of El Capitan in VR. It’s less than 8 minutes, but that’s probably plenty. /shudder

I’ve been enjoying Walkabout Golf’s DLC lately ($3 for each course, two so far).
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Played Vader Immortal: I yesterday and that was entertaining. It’s still so weird to be IN the environment.

I cannot for the life of me get No Man’s Sky to work though. I’ve got Steam VR and the game starts and I can select either a New Game or try to load a Save Game, and either way I just spend minutes on the loading star field screen. I saw online some people reporting that it can do that for up to 45 minutes before starting the game. No idea what to do.
Make up bags of change
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:18 pm Played Vader Immortal: I yesterday and that was entertaining. It’s still so weird to be IN the environment.
I'd like to try that someday. I'm actually playing Tales from the Galaxy's Edge right now (as in, it's on my headset, tilted up while I'm typing this.) It's fun, although you have to take it for what it is - it's not an attempt to be a complex game or an example of deep gameplay. It's a chance to tool around in the Star Wars universe in-person for a couple of hours. It's sort of like an interactive Disney ride. In that regard, it excels. It's worth the price of admission just for the ability to 'be there.'
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Vader Immortal is kind of the same thing, and it works for me. I will take a look at that one too.
Make up bags of change
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:47 pm
RuperT wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:08 pmI’m not sure how to specify it, but if someone refers you both parties get a $30 Store credit ($60 if the holiday double deal is still active). You may use my ID macdaddy0 if you like (although BH has been more helpful per usual).
Either way, I would like a few OO friends at some point. :violin:
When I went in to purchase, I did notice that, and contacted Blackhawk to hook him up for his extensive help. I felt like he earned it. :)
And he very much appreciates it, as it just came in! $60 for fun stuff isn't a small number right now! I think I'll pick up Shadowgate VR: The Mines of Mythrok. Along with that... Vader Immortal and Lone Echo 2 are both very tempting.

Since Steam has sales and Oculus rarely does (and very rarely are they good sales - Vader Immortal is currently 9% off, less than $3 savings on a $30 title), I'm only looking at Oculus exclusives. I'll probably just hang on to the balance until I decide what I'm in the mood for. Hell, I still haven't played Lone Echo 1.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:52 pm Since Steam has sales and Oculus rarely does (and very rarely are they good sales - Vader Immortal is currently 9% off, less than $3 savings on a $30 title),
Yeah, I got another $10 store credit from Oculus for some reason so I was hoping maybe they might repeat the $15 bundle from last year, but I did get Vader Immortal part 1 for the credit and noticed that they do deduct the price of owned titles from their bundles so that's nice in case they have a better sale on them later.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Just felt like it's been long enough to report in after about a month's time with how it's going. I'm fairly confident this is the coolest thing I have ever owned. It is still crazy to me how different it feels to be looking through a 2D window into a game world, compared to be INSIDE the game world. I haven't even done a ton of stuff, as I'm still trying to take it slowly to avoid crazy motion sickness.

Some thoughts:
1) Watching sports was....different. It felt more like watching an IMAX movie (but not in 3D). Everything is big, which makes it FEEL a little 3Dish, but it doesn't quite feel like I'm sitting there, which is what I was hoping for (with the NBA games). I have seen a lot of very cool 3D movie content though - zooming around Matterhorn, and I just watched a 3D video on YouTube on ascending Mt. Everest. Again - it's really weird to go from watching a video of people packing their gear for ascent, to suddenly feel like you are in the tent with them packing up their gear. Or sitting outside watching the rest of base camp. When those cameras are stationary and you can just look around and watch - it's awesome. When they move (tried watching a hot air balloon one), that puts me in the danger zone in terms of motion sickness.

2) I've played the first two episodes of Vader Immortal. They are short, but they were really cool I thought. The production values are high, and standing next to Darth Vader is pretty cool (even though I was looking down on him because of my height). After starting out in the cockpit of a little ship, seeing a Star Destroyer overtake me from above - that was really cool. As was having Stormtroopers just walking around me. I really enjoyed it.

3) I still can't get No Man's Sky to load (it just spends forever on the loading screen and I hate it).

4) I have not gotten back to HL:Alyx yet, just because I've been messing around with other games that run right on the Quest (so don't need to tether me). But again, the first moment when it loads and I was standing on that balcony. Holy crap.

5) I also started playing Golf+. And that immediately made me buy my first VR accessory - a DeadEyeVR golf club handle. If you are at all a fan of golf, this game feels like a must have to me. And I appreciate that the problem that I have in real life transfers to the virtual world, as I slice the hell out of everything.

6) I also saw that a friend of mine was playing Unplugged Air Guitar. Probably the closest I will get to playing Rock Band ever again, and there's no instruments to break, so that's pretty cool. Could use more songs, but still, it was fun.

7) Today I finally bought Skyrim VR because it was on sale. Holy Crap. I understand all of the things that Blackhawk warned me about, but also, I was standing in Skyrim with a dragon flying around me. I find it too weird to play with the teleportation though, but I don't think I could play with directional movement very long without vomiting. So we will have to figure that out. :)

Again, probably the coolest thing that I own.
Make up bags of change
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:51 pm 2) I've played the first two episodes of Vader Immortal. They are short, but they were really cool I thought. The production values are high, and standing next to Darth Vader is pretty cool (even though I was looking down on him because of my height). After starting out in the cockpit of a little ship, seeing a Star Destroyer overtake me from above - that was really cool. As was having Stormtroopers just walking around me. I really enjoyed it.
I only have the first episode, but to be honest I was kind of disappointed with it, some of the issues I had with it seemed like really basic missteps like how they won't allow you to move at all during cutscenes, or how lightsaber combat feels like poking someone with a pool noodle for all the damage it does. And climbing ladders in VR isn't nearly enjoyable enough to build a game around, it felt like I was watching a wall more than the locations which is just bad level design. The skiff section was pretty cool though, I'll give them that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:51 pm 7) Today I finally bought Skyrim VR because it was on sale. Holy Crap. I understand all of the things that Blackhawk warned me about, but also, I was standing in Skyrim with a dragon flying around me. I find it too weird to play with the teleportation though, but I don't think I could play with directional movement very long without vomiting. So we will have to figure that out. :)
Ok, if you're going to play Skyrim VR - and I'm not kidding here - seriously consider grabbing Wabbajack (an automated mod list installer) and use it to install FUS. It's a pre-curated set of mods. It'll take you an hour to go through the setup (not counting download time), but the instructions are step-by-step, and it turns Skryim VR into something worth playing. It makes a huge difference. It will look better and perform better (seriously - it will do both), you'll actually be able to see your hands instead of just a floating weapon, the controls will be fixed, you'll be able to sheathe items on your body rather than in a menu, you'll be able to interact with objects in the world - pick them up, move them around - and about a hundred other improvements.

And the actual install is launching the installer, which downloads, installs, and configures every mod for you, then making a few .ini changes and making a few choices ("Do you want the game to look like A or B?")
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Absolutely will do that.
Make up bags of change
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Far more than other mods, it's really vital to hit every step of the process in order and correctly. You're essentially installing dozens of mods simultaneously, so a missed step can cause a bunch of them to malfunction at once. But this was put out by Cangar, one of the better known Skyrim modders, and it is basically the equivalent of sending him your PC, having him install and configure your mods, then send it back ready to go.

As a side note, Wabbajack has full mod packs, all curated the same way (they don't get 'approved' until they get through quality control) for all of the Elder Scrolls games from Morrowind on, all of the Bethesda Fallout games (including one for Fallout 4 VR), plus No Man's Sky, Darkest Dungeon, and Stardew Valley, plus others in the works.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:51 pm 3) I still can't get No Man's Sky to load (it just spends forever on the loading screen and I hate it).
How are you launching it?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just went and launched NMS in VR from both Virtual Desktop and Airlink. I didn't have any trouble getting it to work. In Airlink I brought up the desktop and then launched from Steam, not the shortcut. In Virtual Desktop I launched SteamVR first, then launched it from the control panel in there. I got noticeably better performance in VD since it didn't involve running SteamVR via Oculus.

I tooled around in my old, unmodded save for a while, made a few tweaks, and... just couldn't get it to run well enough on my 2060 to be playable. I'll likely come back to it if I ever get a system better able to handle it. My 2060 isn't ideal for VR - it's actually the equivalent of a 10XX series card, just with the the RTX features. I bought it before the shortage, and long before I knew I'd be using it for VR.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Blackhawk wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:51 pm 3) I still can't get No Man's Sky to load (it just spends forever on the loading screen and I hate it).
How are you launching it?
I connect through Oculus Link and then launch it through Steam VR. It makes sure I want to launch in VR, and it lets me decide whether to start a new game or a saved game.

Regardless of what I choose, it appears to start and I get the star field animation startup, and it just never ends. I did see online some people say that they let in run, and like 45 *minutes* later the game started.
Make up bags of change
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Is it possibly you have a non-VR compatible mod installed? Other than that... I dunno. The port seemed like it needed a couple of more patches for the short while I played.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Blackhawk wrote:Is it possibly you have a non-VR compatible mod installed? Other than that... I dunno. The port seemed like it needed a couple of more patches for the short while I played.
I don’t have any mods installed. I think it’s a rare, but known problem, but I don’t see any solutions (other than one guy that wanted me to start fiddling with registry settings).
Make up bags of change
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

My new computer arriving soon will be VR ready, so I'm getting caught up on this thread. Plan on buying Oculus Quest 2 unless there are better suggestions. Skyrim seems like a must purchase. Any other quick mentions before I peruse this thread?
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Read my conversations with RM9 on the last few pages. Skyrim is fine, but note that it is a mess out of the box. See Fus on Wabbajack to get it working. Beyond that, what do you want out of VR, and do you have a good 5Ghz wireless connection where you will be playing?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:21 pm Read my conversations with RM9 on the last few pages. Skyrim is fine, but note that it is a mess out of the box. See Fus on Wabbajack to get it working. Beyond that, what do you want out of VR, and do you have a good 5Ghz wireless connection where you will be playing?
No idea what i want to play, just want to try it. And yes, my 5g router is 5 ft from my computer.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Okay, I'm back... maybe

Spent the last 2 years on Fallout 76. In all my years of gaming I was never a Multi-player guy. I dabbled, but man, I love the fallout franchise and I so I just got totally immersed in fallout 76. And then Black Friday came, and all the ducks aligned. I finally had my VR ready gig and finally a VR device came out that was perfect to test on . . . Oculus Quest 2. At 300 buck (256 gig), it would be like buying a game boy.

Short story, It great

Never expected VR to be an exercise alternate but yeah, it is.

I warm up with either:
VZfit(uses google maps and exercise all over the world0
HoloVR(mostly animated locations but the troglodyte mine is a must for any RPG gamer)
HitVR(dance section that makes me less lame)

And then straight to The thrill of the Fight (only at 3 rounds for now)
This one program alone is probably worth the price of the Oculus
this is real boxing with a real workout
yeah the opponents are animated but this in not a Mike Tyson Knockout game, this is you in the ring with some guy swinging at you
If I had the stamina I would do this all day.
(in my perfect world I live in a kung fun monastery and practice all day . . . namaste......)

and then cool down with some Beat Saber (100 dollar bill ya'll)
took me a while to get this, but spectacular fun and you know the saying, dance like no one can see you
well, swing your light saber to the beat with your VR glasses and no one can see you

At night I mediate before bed with Maloka
after each meditation session you get a little prize to decorate your island

I haven't lost my gamer cred. I got the VR version of Fallout 4. (its hard) The steam version of Subnautica also runs in VR (a beautiful game even more beautiful in VR) . And I also got the VR version of Skyrim (havent played yet). Working toward loading up NO Mans Sky but I got to spend some time on Cyberpunk and Elex2 (of which I only have about 15 min in each).

My go to games in VR are:
Talos Principle VR (the best game ever made IMO)
and Aircar (it's free)
AKA: Dajjer
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:02 pm You're preaching to the choir!
Thank you,

gotta do a little cut and paste.
AKA: Dajjer
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

D.A.Lewis wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:16 pm and Aircar (it's free)
While we're on that (and I loved Aircar), there was a thread where I touched on a ton of other free VR games.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Finished (I think) setting up Skyrim VR again. This time with an ENB! My first time trying that.

I used a Wabbajack setup. 194 mods. Way more than I've ever used in the past.

I spent a good part of the last couple of days going through them. Some are easy, but... damn... there are 3-4 that add spells and magic stuff. Not sure how I'm ever going to remember what's what. Think I'll just skip magic with the next character. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:55 pm Finished (I think) setting up Skyrim VR again. This time with an ENB! My first time trying that.

I spent a good part of the last couple of days going through them. Some are easy, but... damn... there are 3-4 that add spells and magic stuff. Not sure how I'm ever going to remember what's what. Think I'll just skip magic with the next character. :D
Which Wabbajack did you use? I went with FUS for my own install (that I need to get back to...)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:11 pm
TheMix wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:55 pm Finished (I think) setting up Skyrim VR again. This time with an ENB! My first time trying that.

Which Wabbajack did you use? I went with FUS for my own install (that I need to get back to...)
FUS. It ended up being the only viable one. When I fired up the program, 2 of the other ones I was looking at both came up as "under construction". I did go with the full Cangar option. I think I only turned off one or two.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I also used FUS. I went with the full FUS ROH DAH install, but removed a number of optionals.

Mage VR (didn't like it)
Locational Damage (something I read, don't remember what)
Drop on Death (immersive, but I don't want to pixel hunt in the grass)
Populated Caves, etc. Legendary (with the other changes, I felt that this would be too many enemies.)
Forgotten Magic Redone (I like more spells, but I felt like there were a few too many)
Whichever it was that added the hand effect for spellcasting. It was very cool, but I wanted to play Elder Scrolls, and whenever I'd cast a spell, I'd feel like Doctor Strange.

I added ten or fifteen of my own on top, very carefully researched and planned to be either thin cosmetic or localized changes so as to not interfere with the core install.

I haven't played in several months, and I wasn't that far in, so I'll likely restart in order to make it easier to fully update it. When I was messing around, I discovered - in my opinion - that archery was awesome, magic was awesome, two-handed sucked, one-handed was just OK, and that one-handed-and-shield was bad (mostly because I have enough real world sword-and-shield experience to have muscle memory, and the way they mount the shield is awful - it's like a giant buckler, and it really messes with me.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I went back and forth on where to put this, but I'll toss it in here because.

For those who use PSVR (which I don't have), this may be of some interest:

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:17 am I also used FUS. I went with the full FUS ROH DAH install, but removed a number of optionals.

Mage VR (didn't like it)
Locational Damage (something I read, don't remember what)
Drop on Death (immersive, but I don't want to pixel hunt in the grass)
Populated Caves, etc. Legendary (with the other changes, I felt that this would be too many enemies.)
Forgotten Magic Redone (I like more spells, but I felt like there were a few too many)
Whichever it was that added the hand effect for spellcasting. It was very cool, but I wanted to play Elder Scrolls, and whenever I'd cast a spell, I'd feel like Doctor Strange.

I added ten or fifteen of my own on top, very carefully researched and planned to be either thin cosmetic or localized changes so as to not interfere with the core install.

I haven't played in several months, and I wasn't that far in, so I'll likely restart in order to make it easier to fully update it. When I was messing around, I discovered - in my opinion - that archery was awesome, magic was awesome, two-handed sucked, one-handed was just OK, and that one-handed-and-shield was bad (mostly because I have enough real world sword-and-shield experience to have muscle memory, and the way they mount the shield is awful - it's like a giant buckler, and it really messes with me.)
- I haven't disabled MageVR. But I'm also not a fan. I feel like there is another mod now that requires it. Or something. I'll probably just ignore most of it.
- I haven't played enough to have to deal with the locational damage one. But there weren't any warnings. Maybe somethings been updated?
- You can configure Drop On Death. I haven't decided how I want to use it. When stuff is outside of the body, I get the nice informational details (specifically the value/weight ratio). But I'll probably just configure it so that only weapons drop. I mean... why would gems drop? Or gold? Or scrolls? That's just silly.
- I haven't run anything yet. So we'll see how I feel about having more things in them. :)
- I didn't see a Forgotten Magic Redone mod. So it's likely been changed. That said, there are a LOT of magic mods. Well, several at any rate. That add spells. It feels a bit overwhelming. But I'm going to leave it alone for now and see how I feel once I've played some.
- I kind of like the effects. But I can see your point. It definitely looks like Dr. Strange. At least so far with my one fire spell.

They added a melee mod, or two, that modify blocking. And I know the documentation mentioned being able to adjust the position so that shields display differently. Maybe that would help you?

If/when I start playing, I'm going to go with an arcane archer and see how it goes. But I was really setting it up for gilraen. I played a bunch when I first got it. So the question now is how ready am I to play more?

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Maybe on the shields. Part of the problem for me was that blocking (as I recall) required a button press, while all of my instincts are about positioning. It was like I was constantly fighting myself. It'd be like a driving game that reversed the gas and brake pedals.

They adapted the PC/console controls to VR instead of creating VR controls. VR games are controlled by the player's actions, not button presses. That's the biggest problem with Skyrim VR (and Fallout 4 VR.) They were extremely lazy and put the monitor/controller gameplay elements into VR instead of creating VR gameplay elements. Admittedly, they were ported fairly early in the adoption of VR, and a lot of the core concepts of game interaction in VR hadn't been polished - or even figured out yet - but their way of doing things just didn't work right, and they weren't willing to take the time (and money) to get them there.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Well, I know that they added "timed blocks" that have better results. I don't recall it saying you had to push a button. But I was skimming. It was a lot of reading. A LOT!

Black Lives Matter