Dungeon World Campaign #2

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

IceBear

Re: Dungeon World Campaign #2

Post by IceBear »

Following the river south for a mile or so, you come across a statue of a polar bear. It is covered in vines and is quite weather scarred. Etched across the side of the statue it reads "And such it came to pass, in the Year 2106, my god Orso was defeated by the forces of the Titans." Below that is the name of the carver - Rurgosh.

In case you are wondering, we started this adventure in the year 2102.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Dar reaches out to Nutaria, seeking the reassurance that she is still present.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

As you reach out to Nutaria it seems like the shadows deepen and the wind through the trees sounds like sinister laughter. You don't sense a response from your goddess
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

OOC: At least we know I survive this mess. :shock:

Rurgosh begins removing all the vines from the statue and cleaning up the area around it.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

Remus West wrote:OOC: At least we know I survive this mess. :shock:

Rurgosh begins removing all the vines from the statue and cleaning up the area around it.
"We need to figure out a way to keep this from happening. What is interesting is I thought we went backwards in time, but we must have gone into the future."

OOC:
Someone with a good Wis want to do a discern realities to see if there are any more clues about. Zordan will aid.
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
BCY4920 - You can suck it Johnny Angel.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Dar finally manages to come to terms with the sudden loss of connection to Nutaria and begins looking around.

First, Dar will make sure we are in no immediate danger from the fire or any approaching threats (animal stampede, 60 ft apes...)

Then, Dar will being examining the statue - touch, feel, etc, looking for any trails around it, any signs of anyone/anything about the immediate area around it. Has someone been here recently, any chance this is not really what it seems like it is, it's hiding something (maybe something buried under/around it or a secret compartment, etc).
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I am bushed so hitting the hay. Roll your Discern Realities and pick your questions. I will answer them (trying to cover your above thoughts as I do) tomorrow
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Discern Realities (Wis): : 2D6+2 = [2, 4]+2 = 8

Not as much reality discerned as I have been recently (still in shock from losing connection with Nutaria I guess).

Guessing this best covers what I was thinking/described with my actions:
What here is not what it appears to be?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rurgosh isn't really discerning much as he is more distraught by the idea of Orso suffering defeat at any time than anything else. He will continue cleaning the statue.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Looking around you don't see any dangerous creatures. The wind is blowing strongly to the south so there should be no danger from the fire for awhile.

Thinking about everything that you have been through you can only surmise that the maze has opened to a pocket dimension showing the (possible?) future.

As you look near the base of the statue you notice a trail mark that you were thinking of teaching Rurgosh for a hidden cache. Digging it up you find a small box with a blood stained note inside.

"They are nearly here...I don't have much time...don't let them get the Hand...the second moon will mark the Titan's return

Goodbye,
Rurgosh "
bb2112
End of Days
Location: Knowledge! It is almost as important as money, luck, and family connections.

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:Looking around you don't see any dangerous creatures. The wind is blowing strongly to the south so there should be no danger from the fire for awhile.

Thinking about everything that you have been through you can only surmise that the maze has opened to a pocket dimension showing the (possible?) future.

As you look near the base of the statue you notice a trail mark that you were thinking of teaching Rurgosh for a hidden cache. Digging it up you find a small box with a blood stained note inside.

"They are nearly here...I don't have much time...don't let them get the Hand...the second moon will mark the Titan's return

Goodbye,
Rurgosh "
OOC:
This is very cool, IB! You tell a great story. I can't wait to see what happens next. :D
That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.
Why would I stab an Oracle? Wait, what am I saying? Why wouldn't I stab an Oracle? - Belkar Bitterleaf
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:Looking around you don't see any dangerous creatures. The wind is blowing strongly to the south so there should be no danger from the fire for awhile.

Goodbye,
Rurgosh "
"So now we have the Eye, some blood, and we can't let "them" get the Hand. I can only assume "them" is the blacksmith and his cult. We should probably get moving. Who knows how time works in this pocket dimension versus our own and I have a bad feeling the cult is going to be after us when they figure out we have Titan blood."
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I'd assume the worst and figure they talked to the sage and thus know we have blood or they took the blood we left with him and have it themselves already. I will set aside my mourning for now as we must move quickly. I think it time to favor speed over caution. Lets get moving.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Hurrying along the river for a few more miles, you come to...nothing. It's like the river and the world vanish. It looks like the jungle continues to the south east, which is the way back towards the maze exit (I might have my directions mixed up, but basically the world stops existing which is why you never saw the river before). Looking to the north you feel that if you rush, you could get to the exit before the fire cuts you off. Zordan, while still low on fire, has recovered enough to run so you do. Several hours later you can see the exit back to the maze, but eight of the insectoid creatures with the bluish exoskeleton are guarding it while eyeing the approaching fire nervously.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Rurgosh casts magic weapon on his hammer and growls "No time for niceties. An illusion of the fire approaching them in front of us to cover our charge and lets go through them to home. I will alter this future and right the evil committed to Orso here."

magic weapon while charging the insectoid things.: 2D6 + 2 = [3, 2]+2 = 7

As he was defeated here it makes sense to the story that I lose the spell upon casting it.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Orso charges towards the insectoids and as he does so several throwing discs are launched in his direction. If you wish to try to avoid them, please roll Defy Danger (I would guess Dex unless you can describe a different way in which you avoid them). If you choose not to avoid, you may immediately attack them, but if you do try to avoid them it'll interrupt your charge.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:Orso charges towards the insectoids and as he does so several throwing discs are launched in his direction. If you wish to try to avoid them, please roll Defy Danger (I would guess Dex unless you can describe a different way in which you avoid them). If you choose not to avoid, you may immediately attack them, but if you do try to avoid them it'll interrupt your charge.
No waiting to see if my compatriot follows along with my idea by casting the illusion I suggested?

Defy Danger throwing thingy dex based: 2D6 = [1, 2] = 3

Ow.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Sorry I read your previous post too quickly and misread the illusion part. Let's roll back time until Madmarcus chimes in
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Does Zordan have the ability to shoot fire again or is he still recovering? For that matter, can Zordan fight?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:Does Zordan have the ability to shoot fire again or is he still recovering? For that matter, can Zordan fight?
You have recovered from feeling drained so you can fight but you'll need a nights rest before your fire is at a level that you can shoot it any distance. Right now you can make sparks
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

IceBear wrote:
bb2112 wrote:Does Zordan have the ability to shoot fire again or is he still recovering? For that matter, can Zordan fight?
You have recovered from feeling drained so you can fight but you'll need a nights rest before your fire is at a level that you can shoot it any distance. Right now you can make sparks
Maybe you should sit this one out Sparkky. :P

Dar will start firing arrows at the one furthest away from Rurgosh's line of attack (that I still have a clear shot at, not the one standing in back using his 7 buddies for cover...), as soon as Rurgosh begins his charge (after the illusion is cast/attempted (whatever is the appropriate term here). Shadow will charge my target at the same time as Rurgosh charges.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Zenn7 wrote:
IceBear wrote:
Maybe you should sit this one out Sparkky. :P

Dar will start firing arrows at the one furthest away from Rurgosh's line of attack (that I still have a clear shot at, not the one standing in back using his 7 buddies for cover...), as soon as Rurgosh begins his charge (after the illusion is cast/attempted (whatever is the appropriate term here). Shadow will charge my target at the same time as Rurgosh charges.
You just don't want to see me burn any more of your forest. Besides, if we are relying on the Dwarf to be our front line fighter we are all in trouble. I'm betting he doesn't even make it to melee.

Zordan will call on the Form of the Dragon. I want to surprise them by leaping on them unexpectedly and dodge their long range weapons as I come in if I don't. Probably will need a separate roll for that. I will assume Dex, but if I'm wrong I can always reroll. I will put everything in spoiler tags just in case.

Form of the Dragon:
Spoiler:
Form of the Dragon: 2D6+2 = [5, 5]+2 = 12

Success!
Eternal Dragon: +1 Armor
Dragons Wings: I will leap over the Dwarf and attack the right flank trying to avoid their long range weapons as I go
Piercing Claws: Pierce 3
For the surprise and dodge:
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

You're getting ahead. We're still waiting for Madmarcus. You can keep your 12 roll for the Form of the Dragon, but rather than list everything you're doing with your 3 hold now, just describe what you do (when it's time) and mention when you use a hold. Something like:

I rush after the dwarf and as we approach the illusionary wall of fire, I channel my dragon's blood to grow wings and leap over the fire (1 hold).

Remember it's a momentary thing so I wouldn't describe spending a hold to grow armor until you actually get hit by something. If I say a disc is thrown at you, it would make sense to say then that you grow the armor then. Heck, given how there aren't rounds I'm cool with you getting hit and I roll damage and you say, I spend a hold to reduce it by 1 more with my armor. Just not spending it all at once gives you more options to spend your blaze as the fiction develops.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Sorry. Somehow going on summer break gives me less time for reading and posting. The illusion of fire sounds perfect (and easy to believe) so Ere goes with it. He motions everyone to stay hidden in the brush for a momment while he concentrates. First a few illusionary sparks/embers drifting down on the brush and then a rapid whoosh into a line of flames moving towards the insectoids.

Smoke (literally) and mirrors: 2D6+2 = [4, 3]+2 = 9

Is easy to believe and Makes them believe they are about to be overrun by a rapidly approaching wall of flames
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

and now we charge, staying behind the illusionary wall of flame.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Ok, other than the 12 for Zordan's Form of the Dragon I'm not holding anyone to the rolls that they made as here's what happens when the wall of fire appears.
The insectoids let out a cry of panic, and then they use their powerful legs to leap back from the approaching wall of fire and using two of their arms drive spikes into the wall of the structure where the maze opening is. They are 20ft up the wall now and see the dwarf and dragonborn rushing towards them behind the fire so with their free arms start pulling throwing discs from pouches and hurl them at the two attackers.
What's everyone doing? There are weapons being thrown at two of you.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Dodge the thrown weapons while continuing towards the maze opening.

"Leave them behind if they don't want to block us. We will have better odds should they follow us into the maze."

Dodge thrown weapons : 2D6 = [3, 5] = 8

Not sure what happens on a 7-9 here.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Rurgosh dodges a dozen or so thrown discs when one of the insectoids leaps from the wall and with a massive kick to Rurgosh's chest knocks him 10ft back into the fire. As Rurgosh stands, unburnt, the creatures narrow their eyes cunningly and drop to the ground. They branish two headed spears in two of their hands while their other hands pull out more throwing discs.

(You successfully dodged their attacks at a cost of revealing the illusion to them).

We'll wait for others now.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

IceBear wrote:Rurgosh dodges a dozen or so thrown discs when one of the insectoids leaps from the wall and with a massive kick to Rurgosh's chest knocks him 10ft back into the fire. As Rurgosh stands, unburnt, the creatures narrow their eyes cunningly and drop to the ground. They branish two headed spears in two of their hands while their other hands pull out more throwing discs.

(You successfully dodged their attacks at a cost of revealing the illusion to them).

We'll wait for others now.
What if I roll around screaming in the fire as though it hurts? :ninja:
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

In a face to face game, I might allow that (as it would be a quick back and forth) but here all I can answer is, "Then you should have rolled a 10+" (otherwise I open the door for a lot of retcons and the pace is slow enough as it is)
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Charge the one the leapt at the dwarf aiming to cut him down in passing on the way to the maze entrance. BTW, this will be a time when I chose to do stun damage.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

Dodge and charge.

I was wrong. Rurgosh did make it into melee with the insectoids.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:Charge the one the leapt at the dwarf aiming to cut him down in passing on the way to the maze entrance. BTW, this will be a time when I chose to do stun damage.
Probably the easiest thing to do is to say before you roll hack and slash if you're doing normal or stun damage.

So, there's one standing near Rurgosh and the rest are on the ground in front of the cave entrance now.

Something to notice - these creatures are tall (9ft or so) and are using long weapons. They also look to be skilled fighters. The point is they can probably attack you before you can attack them in normal circumstances. So describe how you attack them as odds are I will be asking for Defy Danger rolls before you can attack to avoid their attacks while you get close enough to attack
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:Dodge and charge.

Roll your Defy Danger-Dex and then see above (as a FYI, using a blaze to grow wings and leap over it I would see as a way to avoid its attack. At least the first time...they seem quite intelligent and adaptable
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

IceBear wrote:
Madmarcus wrote:Charge the one the leapt at the dwarf aiming to cut him down in passing on the way to the maze entrance. BTW, this will be a time when I chose to do stun damage.
Probably the easiest thing to do is to say before you roll hack and slash if you're doing normal or stun damage.

So, there's one standing near Rurgosh and the rest are on the ground in front of the cave entrance now.

Something to notice - these creatures are tall (9ft or so) and are using long weapons. They also look to be skilled fighters. The point is they can probably attack you before you can attack them in normal circumstances. So describe how you attack them as odds are I will be asking for Defy Danger rolls before you can attack to avoid their attacks while you get close enough to attack
I wasn't clear, sorry. Ere is choosing to do stun damage during this fight in an attempt to take them out of the fight quicker. Since they are tall this takes the form of attacking their legs to get them off balance followed up by blows to the head or chest (thorax - whatever, aiming to knock the wind out of them since something that big has to have lungs).

While he is still missing his shield Ere uses he momentum and armor to push through and get inside the creatures attack to make is own.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Madmarcus wrote:
IceBear wrote:

I wasn't clear, sorry. Ere is choosing to do stun damage during this fight in an attempt to take them out of the fight quicker. Since they are tall this takes the form of attacking their legs to get them off balance followed up by blows to the head or chest (thorax - whatever, aiming to knock the wind out of them since something that big has to have lungs).

While he is still missing his shield Ere uses he momentum and armor to push through and get inside the creatures attack to make is own.
I understand. Not sure if you and Zordan might be coordinating here as there's one target you can reach right now. So if he attacks first (and fictionally he was closest) then it might be distracted by him so you wouldn't need to make a Defy Danger - Dex roll. If you are going after the other ones instead they will throw their weapons at you while you rush towards them and then brace for your charge.
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

IceBear wrote:

IceBear wrote:

Roll your Defy Danger-Dex and then see above (as a FYI, using a blaze to grow wings and leap over it I would see as a way to avoid its attack. At least the first time...they seem quite intelligent and adaptable
I will attempt to leap over the one in front and go right to attacking the ones behind it. I yell to the human, "Don't stun it, kill it! We have too many to contend with," as I leap over it waiving my arms trying to distract it for the Human. Using 1 blaze.

Defy Danger-Dex
Spoiler:
Defy Danger: 2D6+1 = [2, 2]+1 = 5 There is my experience point. :roll:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

In this situation I'm not sure what Omar's tiny legs and dagger can do besides hide behind a tree. Omar looks to the group for advice and if anyone needs assistance.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

bb2112 wrote:
IceBear wrote:

IceBear wrote:

I will attempt to leap over the one in front and go right to attacking the ones behind it. I yell to the human, "Don't stun it, kill it! We have too many to contend with," as I leap over it waiving my arms trying to distract it for the Human. Using 1 blaze.

Defy Danger-Dex
Spoiler:
Defy Danger: 2D6+1 = [2, 2]+1 = 5 There is my experience point. :roll:
That's for the thrown weapons right?

As you rush towards the insectoid near Rurgosh you have given too much attention to it and are struck by 5 of the throwing discs.

Thrown discs: 1D8+4 = [1]+4 = 5

You currently have 2 armor but can increase it by 1 more if you want to spend a blaze.

You then leap over your target, sprouting your wings and land behind it. You can attack it with a hack and slash (you can use a blaze for your claw at this time). If you do so Ere can attack without needing to avoid the spear thrust
bb2112
End of Days

Post by bb2112 »

So are the other guys on the ground or still on the wall? I wanted to engage the ones on the ground behind this one. I guess that is not one of my choices. I will attack the one n front of me. At least then Ere can get a free attack. Also I spend the blaze on the armor and the last one on piercing claws.

Hack and slash:
Spoiler: