Fast Food Foofaraw

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Fast Food Foofaraw

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

"My Mother's Gravy" - title of something (the band you're going to start? your sex tape?)

Yeah, it's definitely not that runny. It usually plops out of the container as clumps of a curdled semi-solid. Still, it has that distinct taste that goes down good on a plate of fries (ketchup optional, maybe some black pepper) when you're in a gross mood. Maybe this gravy isn't even the normal gravy? I'm thinking I'll have to try it again. Really needs some veg or something though. And it's obvious KFC has about run out of ideas. :lol:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I had a small Philly cheesesteak sub, some fries, and an iced tea from Charlie's Philly Steaks at the mall food court today because the Verizon store took so long to sell us a smartphone that morning bled past lunchtime. The fries were good; the sandwich, passable; the tea tasted like soda. Four tentacles up. If you must eat at a mall, it might as well be this.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The last time I was in a mall was actually to eat, maybe six or seven years ago. My closest mall has an Olga's. Olga's is fantastic food.

https://www.olgas.com/

Snackers and almond cheese is food fit for a 19 years old. So good and sooo bad for you.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Sudy wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:27 am "My Mother's Gravy" - title of something (the band you're going to start? your sex tape?)
Something I need to try to replicate since my mom is no longer available. :(

Gosh, I haven't been to a real mall in at least a decade, probably closer to fifteen years. :think: I get my thrills at thrift stores now, and no way I'm paying $13.00 for a KFC sandwich. :o
Stop funding for NPR
mori

Post by mori »

Sudy wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:22 pm
mori wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:55 pm I did the Arby's Diablo Sandwich Dare the other day. It is spicy and it will be the spiciest thing from a fast food chain you will get but if you can eat a jalapeno you can eat this sandwich and fries. My problem was it did not taste very good and the sauce was too sweet.
Missed you around here man, hope you're doing well.

I wish I had an Arby's nearby....
I am doing well. Hope all is well with you. What have I missed around here?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

mori wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:36 pm I am doing well. Hope all is well with you. What have I missed around here?
Nothing much. Hepcat shaved his head, ILB bought a Cardinal's jersey, and ISG amazed us all when he discovered his IQ was 7. And in an ironic turn of events, Daehawk received a professorship at Tennessee State. We're just not sure the professorship is in a subject recognized anywhere beyond the deep south.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Just call me Tommy Westphall.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hope I got my own parking spot this time.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Today was simple sandwich day for me. 1 slice bread, slap mayo on it, add thin slice cheap turkey, top with cheese. Throw in toaster oven. On point! Open faced toasted turkey cheese. Melt in your mouth.

Only thing it could have used was a fresh tomato from the garden. But its the middle of winter so thats not an option.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:15 pm Only thing it could have used was a fresh tomato from the garden. But its the middle of winter so thats not an option.
My tomatoes never turned red this year, I've a bunch of green ones quite frozen still on the quite dead vine.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:49 am
Daehawk wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:15 pm Only thing it could have used was a fresh tomato from the garden. But its the middle of winter so thats not an option.
My tomatoes never turned red this year, I've a bunch of green ones quite frozen still on the quite dead vine.
Last year was my worst gardening year ever thanks to drought and tired soil. I'm not even going to plant anything this spring.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:41 am Last year was my worst gardening year ever thanks to drought and tired soil. I'm not even going to plant anything this spring.
My problem too I think. I'm not sure what to do. I have stuff that will arise regardless of intervention (strawberries especially, they have run amok and we still haven't used all of the ones I froze last spring). MiL is here and could, I suppose, clear out the 20 metric shit-tons of weeds from my garden area -- the boxes have been rotting and collapsing though, and she needs to be careful not to step on a rusty nail (I had the pleasure 2 years ago). However, we will be gone for a month, mid-June to mid-July -- I already have to hire someone to care for the lawn; I'd also have to hire someone to care for the garden.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If we expected to stay in this house I'd shrink the garden's footprint and install raised beds. But the foggy crystal ball says we'll be house-hunting in the spring/summer and ideally moving in the summer/winter. If we move out west, as currently planned, I'll be spending a lot of weekends out there. A neglected garden is worse than no garden at all. So this will be my first summer in 30 years without gardening.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Speedway gas station personal pizza. My God these things are good. Always have been but I haven't had one in a couple years and they are even better. SO good.

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

When did dill pickles replace bacon as the thing that everything has to taste like?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Dude, I was so pissed off. I tried those and they're just pickle flavoured. Same old BK garbage nuggs.

There are a couple fast food chains here that do fabulous deep fried pickles. I was excited because I thought BK had mashed chicken and pickles together.

In other news, Ontario finally got Mexican pizzas back. Limited time I presume. So... They're good. But not as great as nostalgia would lead one to believe IMO. Love that red sauce though.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That pizza is back here to. And its supposed to be permanent again.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not for America's Hat
Taco Bell’s signature Mexican Pizza can be found at participating locations nationwide from February 6 through April 2, 2023.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

You've gotta eat it fresh before it gets soggy. It takes about 90 seconds.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:02 pm Not for America's Hat
That reminds me of the opening of The Fisher King in which Jeff Bridges's girlfriend has drawn the US as a reclining man and Florida is the penis.

Edit: Tried to find a capture on Google but honestly didn't want to delve too deep on "Florida penis" searches.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:02 pm Not for America's Hat
Taco Bell’s signature Mexican Pizza can be found at participating locations nationwide from February 6 through April 2, 2023.
Well thats not fair. Wonder what the reason is?

I wish they'd bring back the smothered burrito. That thing was perfect.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I'm annoyed that Taco Bell here doesn't open until 9am these days. Their breakfast was my favorite fast food breakfast, and I always used to stop at Taco Bell on the way to the ski slopes. Tried getting some last Monday, and they were still closed. I understand that they have a hard time staffing but I'd imagine they are completely giving up on the breakfast crowd with these hours. Who is going to stop there on their way to work if they aren't even open during normal morning rush hour?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Where do you live?

Taco bell here is 8am - 2am
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Denver metro area. There are still a few around town that open at 7am, but most don't open until 9 or 10.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Our TB's vary by location. I believe most of them close for an hour, presumably for cleaning. Like they are 05:00 to 04:00. Of course this is contingent both on if they want to run that way and if they can/are willing to schedule the help. I can't imagine if they aren't selling any breakfasts that they are eager to open at 05:00 and pay a staff and keep the kitchen running. In my bar days and before they started breakfast, the 03:00 Taco Bell run for the Taco Pizza meal was the best ever.

Edit: Checked google and it lists hours all over the place. The one closest to me seems to have longest hours: 06:00 to 03:00. I guess the 4 AM thing is gone but for how long. ???
Last edited by LordMortis on Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The only Taco Bell locations around here are as part of the food court in the nearest mall, and I doubt they feature everything a standalone location would.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

One of our best malls had a great food court when it opened and for years afterwards..Taco Bell, Arbys, Krystal, lots of big names. But slowly over time it lost all the big chain places except a couple like Chick Fil A and such. One of our favs was Sarku Japan. Yummy. More lower tier places or places I have never heard of moved in along with soem mom and pop style places. And its not a dead mall at all..it is thriving actually...A Dave & Busters has become an anchor and The Cheesecake Factory in outside and such with lots of folk in the mall. So not sure why the food court changed so much....maybe rent costs.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:39 pm So not sure why the food court changed so much....maybe rent costs.
or maybe it's this :lol:
https://www.tiktok.com/@daleygrindpodca ... lang=he-IL
Stop funding for NPR
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Are stupid people protected by discrimation laws? Is there a legal definition of stupid?

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:39 pm So not sure why the food court changed so much....maybe rent costs.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that malls just aren't the draw they once were. Many malls have become skeletons and have had to adapt to offering different kinds of services such as office space for businesses.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And while there are types of shops that still open up in some malls, other types of business don't go out of their way to put franchises in. It's to risky. They'd rather claim the corner of a parking lot somewhere and open a full restaurant.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:15 pm
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that malls just aren't the draw they once were. Many malls have become skeletons and have had to adapt to offering different kinds of services such as office space for businesses.
Perhaps at others but as I posted this mall is still a thriving 2 story mall. Was the largest in TN..its only been surpassed by West Town Mall in Knoxville due to them adding on. Though the stores aren't what they were its not filled with mom & pop stores and they are only missing one anchor and that was lately. Im sure it will be refilled. its owned by CBL who built it and many malls . Its their baby and flagship mall..their HQ is here.

Man its been open 36 years. Went near the first day. I recall Arbys left within a few years. I think the big reason the chains left if they had or built stores right outside the mall. Didn't want to leech money off themselves. Whats funny is the entire area was a big farm against the main highway. After the mall came the entire place for miles built up all around it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Which is why I added my bit. Malls aren't a safe bet for food places anymore. Some may have enough traffic, but that changes so quickly that they're bad risks.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:07 pm
Perhaps at others but as I posted this mall is still a thriving 2 story mall.
Is it really though? It may look it on the surface, but could really be having difficulties. I'd point out the disappearance of those chain franchises as a likely clue. Also anchor stores really aren't the big draw they used to be, with many of them having closed. Once our downtown mall lost its anchor store, it struggled ever since and was never able to attract another solid anchor store since, and that was in the 90's. And whenever a big store opens anymore, it's usually a standalone store not connected to any mall.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks crowded to me on the news tonight.

You can check it out...Hamilton Place Mall, Chattanooga TN

The other 2 mains malls have died. Well Hamilton Place was largely responsible for that too.

The worst thing about it is influx of bad crowds from downtown...mostly young people from the inner city...they come in and have gang fights and a couple shootings and robberies...all within the last few years. Sad really . Was always safe when we were going. But times change and people and places expand to outlying areas that were once far enough out to be safe.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Our local regional mall is doing OK by reinventing itself. One of the anchor locations that died is turning into lab space -- life sciences are still booming here and everyone wants a piece of that. The mall offers excellent highway access and amenities like their food court. The town's NIMBY contingent is mobilizing against a proposed housing development at the edge of the mall's vast underused parking lots. The project would create about 300 units. A quarter of them would be senior housing, another (possibly overlapping) quarter would be affordable housing, and the remaining half would be market rate, which around here means about $2,500/mo for a 1BR apartment. It makes a lot of sense, but our single-family housing neighborhoods don't cotton to allowing hive living within eyesight, and more high-earning young people would threaten the conservatives in charge.

The mall itself is 90% leased, and they're trying to keep it that way. 300 apartments in the parking lot would definitely help with that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Of the two original malls in Chattanooga one died and closed in about 1991. It reinvented itself into a business park and is still that. Its neat to look at vids of it and see parts I recognize that me and my wife walked for years. The other mall is on the other side of town and its still open but its been pretty dead and unsafe in my eyes for about 15 years. We ate there with my sister who worked for the police dept around 2011 and as we walk in some woman is walking out carrying as many clothes from Sears as she could stealing them. My sister alerted police and they came and got her but the mall did nothing..

Our little mall here was WONDERFUL but for some reason they built a new bigger mall on the north end in 1992 I think it was...closed our little down then this new mall never had much business. Everyone disliked it and it wasn't more than 5 years before stores started leaving. Its been a mom & pop crap place for decades. They finally tore down the old K-mart attached to it and built a trip mall..which is thriving for some reason. And added a big theater..God knows why I guess as we dont.

But Hamilton Place just down the road still rocks and always has. Me and my wife lived there really lol..all through the 90s and part of the 00s until life made us change our lives around. I haven't been since she passed and will never go back. Its like a shrine to my memories now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont be fooled by the pics of Taco Bells Enchirito. That thing is SMALL. Its a ripoff at its $4 price. It should be on the $1 menu. Imagine it half the size of what it appears to be in pics and thats it. About like a old $1 beef burrito but slightly smaller and covered in sauce and some cheese. Tasted great though. I could have probably eaten it in 2 big bites if I was really hungry. 3 at the most.