Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

em2nought

Re: Fast Food Foofaraw

Post by em2nought »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:48 pm
em2nought wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:00 am
hepcat wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:56 am
em2nought wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:55 am It's already bad enough knowing that third world countries have better Coke than we do with their sugar cane Coke while we get High Fructose Corn Syrup crap. Rant over. :doh:
You have only yourself to blame for that.
You're like my little forum puppy dog. :lol: My next post might be in the "major purchase" thread if you want to hang out there and wait for it. :lol:
Is it going to be a home soda fountain?
Ah, my other forum puppy dog chimes in. :wink: Home soda fountain? I don't get it?
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's not really fast food info, but on the news this morning I heard that a hedge fund just purchased the Bennigans franchise rights and are planning on bringing it back "in a big way".

If this results in my having easy access to Monte Cristos once again....well...

He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hungry for fun?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You know you're driving out here to eat with me if they reopen closer to Chicago.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Their Canadian Burger was the Bomb Yo, like 20 years ago.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You're dead to me.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sorry. If I went there after 20 years of not going there. The first thing I'd look for is the Canadian burger to see if it stands up to my memory. The Monte Cristo would have to come at another time.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm sorry, I'm not the kid from The Sixth Sense.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill shove this in here....Danny Boy Chicken
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:20 pm I'm sorry, I'm not the kid from The Sixth Sense.
:lol: :clap:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Another whacky food idea. Oversized bacon, cheese and onion tater tots served with avocado hot sauce. Of course theres malt vinegar on the table if you want it.

This stems from many years ago the Krystal place in our mall being replaced by Boardwalk Fries. They had an item of fries named boardwalk fries. Turned out to be fries with vinegar on them and instead of ketchup you ate mustard on them. I really liked it. So much so that every now and then i still have my fries or tater tots that way.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Oh, the gluttony for Veteran's Day. :doh: Got my restaurant quota in for the rest of the year. LOL

I discovered the wonder that is Bennigan's Monte Cristo just shortly before they disappeared. Yeah, I didn't get out much and I'm a cheap charlie. I hope they do come back.

And in the same vein Sweet Baby Ray had a wonderful raspberry chipotle bbq sauce that disappeared too.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:17 pm Another whacky food idea. Oversized bacon, cheese and onion tater tots served with avocado hot sauce. Of course theres malt vinegar on the table if you want it.

This stems from many years ago the Krystal place in our mall being replaced by Boardwalk Fries. They had an item of fries named boardwalk fries. Turned out to be fries with vinegar on them and instead of ketchup you ate mustard on them. I really liked it. So much so that every now and then i still have my fries or tater tots that way.
Have you not tried French Fries with mayo?
That’s huge in the Netherlands (and elsewhere in Europe)
It’s not bad. I have to imagine it was created with you in mind.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Funny you mention , yes. I find them just ok and only eat a few that way its Im eating them the boardwalk way. Sounds funny coming from me as i love mayo so much.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Lots of people in the US eat fries with mayo. It's just that they mix the mayo with some ketchup and call it fry sauce.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

So I tried this and it's actually pretty good:

KFC Gravy Lover's Sandwich
Enlarge Image

I mean it's way too heavy and salty and needs some veg to cut the richness, but the cutlet's thick AF and was fairly juicy. I don't think they built it right though as the bun was stuck to the contents with cheese so I had to dump the gravy over the top. KFC's gravy is kind of glutch (it may be a little different in Canada), though it did go well with this combination. Based on the pics/articles I've seen online they don't always seem to be made with the same ingredients though. Some have lettuce and regular mayo, while others have some other kind of mayo. I'm not even sure what mine had on it, though there definitely wasn't any lettuce. My KFC is so disorganized they seem to make sandwiches different every time.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:10 am Lots of people in the US eat fries with mayo. It's just that they mix the mayo with some ketchup and call it fry sauce.
We do? I will eat fries with ketchup, with mayo, with mustard, with ranch, with chili, with cheese, with chili and cheese, with au jous, with gravy, with egg yolk, and will even mix mustard and ketchup, but I don't mix mayo with anything. I've never seen mayo ketchup mixture so maybe it's regional in the US? I've also surprisingly never vinegar. That I should try one day.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Russian dressing is mayo + ketchup + horseradish. Thousand Island is mayo + ketchup + relish. Each can be gussied up with other ingredients, but those are the basics.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I don't normally put vinegar on fries, but the exception is malt vinegar. If I'm at a fish & chips place, it's going on my fries.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:38 pm Russian dressing is mayo + ketchup + horseradish. Thousand Island is mayo + ketchup + relish. Each can be gussied up with other ingredients, but those are the basics.
Do regions of the US put them on fries? I am not aware of this. Ranch? Yes. Other dressings, never seen.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:38 pm I don't normally put vinegar on fries, but the exception is malt vinegar. If I'm at a fish & chips place, it's going on my fries.
Same here. Fish as well. Soak it in.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:54 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:38 pm Russian dressing is mayo + ketchup + horseradish. Thousand Island is mayo + ketchup + relish. Each can be gussied up with other ingredients, but those are the basics.
Do regions of the US put them on fries? I am not aware of this. Ranch? Yes. Other dressings, never seen.
Not AFAIK. I just meant to point out that mayo + ketchup is a common combo that you've certainly had before, sans fries. Myself, I like yellow mustard on my fries.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LordMortis wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:09 pm
Max Peck wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:10 am Lots of people in the US eat fries with mayo. It's just that they mix the mayo with some ketchup and call it fry sauce.
We do? I will eat fries with ketchup, with mayo, with mustard, with ranch, with chili, with cheese, with chili and cheese, with au jous, with gravy, with egg yolk, and will even mix mustard and ketchup, but I don't mix mayo with anything. I've never seen mayo ketchup mixture so maybe it's regional in the US? I've also surprisingly never vinegar. That I should try one day.
Fry sauce.
In the United States
Although sauce composed of a mixture of equal parts ketchup and mayonnaise appears in a New Orleans cookbook published in 1900, fry sauce was popularized in Utah. It may have first appeared there in 1955 at Stan's Drive-In, which was then a franchise of Arctic Circle. Another possible origin for fry sauce was the "pink sauce" served in 1941 at Don Carlos Barbecue in Salt Lake City. In his essay on Utah fry sauce, Michael P. Christensen noted that fry sauce "functions as a cultural identifier for Utahns."  The Arctic Circle chain still serves fry sauce in its western United States restaurants.

In April 2018, Heinz announced the release of "Mayochup", a mixture of the two sauces, because 500,000+ users voted "yes" in a Twitter poll asking Americans if they wanted to see it in stores. A number of Twitter users responded that such a mixture already existed as "fry sauce" and "fancy sauce". The sauce arrived at U.S. retailers' shelves in September 2018.

Several fast food chains have individually branded variants of fry sauce using a mayonnaise and ketchup base, including Zaxby's, Raising Cane's, and Freddy's.

The sauce is also closely related to Yum Yum sauce, which is popular in Japanese steakhouses in America.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Several fast food chains have individually branded variants of fry sauce using a mayonnaise and ketchup base, including Zaxby's, Raising Cane's, and Freddy's.
Who?

Fry sauce... TIL... And no thank you...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk right now

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman

Post by Holman »

I might puke.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That is gross :)

I make my own with mayo, worchestershire, soy, and a few other items. Makes a great salad dressing too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

According to tonights taste test, tater tots are good with french onion dip.

I was unfortunately unable to procure a ham portion that I wanted. So not testing of sauces with ham this month. Maybe next. Those things are expensive. Or at least more than I was thinking.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:38 pm I don't normally put vinegar on fries, but the exception is malt vinegar. If I'm at a fish & chips place, it's going on my fries.
In the Philippines, they sell Octopus-flavored potato chips that come with a small cup of vinegar in the bag.

I think I fed those to Archinerd once.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think I've heard of those, just not with the vinegar. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to try them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:43 am I think I've heard of those, just not with the vinegar. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to try them.
The whole snack aisle in the Philippines is based on a dare. How do you feel about squid jerkyfied in BBQ sauce (packaged individually, of course). Or squid freeze dried, shredded, and pressed into crackers that look similar to Triscuits? (I know I fed both of those to Archinerd, who can confirm their existence). Oh, and seaweed flavored Pringles, of course. One thing I had that was surprisingly good was beef and potatoes flavored potato chips. They actually tasted like beef and potatoes.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I enjoy both seaweed and squid (depending on the presentation) , so it isn't a huge stretch.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:08 pm
Rumpy wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:43 am I think I've heard of those, just not with the vinegar. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to try them.
The whole snack aisle in the Philippines is based on a dare. How do you feel about squid jerkyfied in BBQ sauce (packaged individually, of course). Or squid freeze dried, shredded, and pressed into crackers that look similar to Triscuits? (I know I fed both of those to Archinerd, who can confirm their existence). Oh, and seaweed flavored Pringles, of course. One thing I had that was surprisingly good was beef and potatoes flavored potato chips. They actually tasted like beef and potatoes.
I'm not even a big fan of seafood in the first place. That has a lot to do with the fact that I haven't grown up in a place where it can be bought fresh. But my Dad on the other hand, who was born in San Fran, loves seafood of all kind.

As for chips, Canada's got quite a fun variety. I remember getting some Old Dutch roasted chicken & stuffing chips and they were amazing. Taste just like the real thing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Give me scallops or give me shrimp. I like most seafood, but not cephalopods. The overlords will not be kind to you when they rise.
mori

Post by mori »

I did the Arby's Diablo Sandwich Dare the other day. It is spicy and it will be the spiciest thing from a fast food chain you will get but if you can eat a jalapeno you can eat this sandwich and fries. My problem was it did not taste very good and the sauce was too sweet.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

mori wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:55 pm I did the Arby's Diablo Sandwich Dare the other day. It is spicy and it will be the spiciest thing from a fast food chain you will get but if you can eat a jalapeno you can eat this sandwich and fries. My problem was it did not taste very good and the sauce was too sweet.
Missed you around here man, hope you're doing well.

I wish I had an Arby's nearby....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Sudy wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:47 pm So I tried this and it's actually pretty good:

KFC Gravy Lover's Sandwich
Enlarge Image
That gravy looks horrid. :lol: If it's not my mother's gravy, I don't want it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's probably chocolate pudding for the photo shoot.