Fast Food Foofaraw

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

em2nought

Re: Fast Food Foofaraw

Post by em2nought »

Things could be worse. In their infinite wisdom they could be putting kale on everything. :lol:

...and we start Veteran's Day free meals pig fest 2023 with a Denny's Original Grand Slam. I'm not a keen everyday breakfast guy like my dad was :wub:, but I like breakfast once a month or so. Smallest link sausages I've even seen, but cute. Pretty expensive tea $4.06 with tax. They've got these funky syrup bottles with rubber tips that you're supposed to put your finger on to dispense syrup. I think they plan to save on syrup that way as it barely comes out. I just pulled that stopper out and a second later their bottle was one third empty, and I had just the right amount of syrup. :lol: Gave the waitress $10 to cover the tea and tip as I like to share the wealth with the waitress when my meal is free. Thanks Denny's.
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

em2nought wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:28 am Gave the waitress $10 to cover the tea and tip as I like to share the wealth with the waitress when my meal is free. Thanks Denny's.
As you should. One should always tip on the service for the value of the of what was provided, not what was paid. That said, I'm none too happy that norms have switched from 15 to 18 to 20% as the floor for tipping, so I rarely eat out. I still consider the minimum tip $2 per head on the cheapest of low service meals but I don't care for the pressure of tipping 20% lows when a cheap burger and fries is already up to $20 and you see your server 3 times. Once for the order, once for drop off, and once for "how is everything, here is your check". I don't begrudge them the way they do things, I just don't eat out so much any more. I can't warrant $25 for the privilege of having a burger and fries prepared by someone else while relax.

I don't even do carryout hardly at all any more because they have ingrained large tips into the receipts on that. If I'm supposed to be paying the line prep people 15% for making my food, what are they getting paid? If I tipped for delivery and I supposed to pay for delivery, tip the driver 10% and then tip the prep 15% on top of that?

I eat at home via groceries, pretty much exclusively since the before times. Until I tested for TB I might do a restaurant once a month with my parents, which was about spending time with them, not about eating out.

I do still love my Lee's and tip the prep people a buck or two every time I get it. Which is a few times a year. It's the only fast food I can remember getting in a don't know when.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:22 am I’m just glad chipotle ciabatta isn’t the whole trend anymore.
Never was a fan. That and cilantro.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Man, Cody's Roadhouse is packed. Looks like God's waiting room. I'll have to try for my free sirloin after they all go to bed at eight or so. :lol:
LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:26 am
em2nought wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:28 am Gave the waitress $10 to cover the tea and tip as I like to share the wealth with the waitress when my meal is free. Thanks Denny's.
As you should. One should always tip on the service for the value of the of what was provided, not what was paid.
I figure the meal would have been max $12 or $13 so a $6 tip is around 50%. I only tip that high on Veteran's Day when I'm eating free. :wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive loved Doritos since i was a child. Still do. But I can no longer eat them due to not being able to chew them. And they dont break up and get soft like potato chips. These kinda form flakes and stay painful to try and eat.

If I waste money on them all I can do is lick off the cheese powder which is why i love them.

Does anyone know if theres a cheese powder that taste like this you can buy by itself in stores?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My first cat loved Doritos. I would eat all of a chip except one point, and then give that to him. Somehow he managed to chew it without molars. He was a white cat and always ended up with an orange mouth after sharing a bag of Doritos with me. Now I don't eat them because they're like 15-20 calories per chip, but they still rank as my favorite crunchy-salty.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:06 pm Ive loved Doritos since i was a child. Still do. But I can no longer eat them due to not being able to chew them. And they dont break up and get soft like potato chips. These kinda form flakes and stay painful to try and eat.

If I waste money on them all I can do is lick off the cheese powder which is why i love them.

Does anyone know if theres a cheese powder that taste like this you can buy by itself in stores?
There's popcorn cheese powder. Maybe that?
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If it tastes like Doritos.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I only ever have spicy nacho Doritos. The popcorn cheese is just cheese. You'd need to add some spice if that is your intention.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Dorito Popcorn Seasoning: 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast, ¼ tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp onion powder, ¼ tsp cumin, ¼ tsp paprika, ¼ tsp chili powder, ¼ tsp salt.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Jeez, my Burger King food sucked today. Coke was so watered down I had to drink Dr. Pepper, cheese not even slightly melted on the double cheeseburger which I swear looks smaller in diameter than last time I had one and mostly tasted of salt. Fries tasted old and blah. I didn't buy a $0.50 vanilla cone because I didn't want to give them even another dime or even feel just a little bit good about my meal. It had been quite awhile since I ate anything there other than a vanilla cone. It's going to be even longer until the next time I visit. :roll:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It sounds like you went to Burger King.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:42 pm It sounds like you went to Burger King.
The parking lots for all the other fast food joints were overflowing with those crazy black friday shoppers. :lol:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:20 pm
Dorito Popcorn Seasoning: 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast, ¼ tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp onion powder, ¼ tsp cumin, ¼ tsp paprika, ¼ tsp chili powder, ¼ tsp salt.
Someone also said it had dried red bell pepper. You can see it on the chip they say. Im not sure.

As for BK mine is pretty dang good. But I have had many hamburgers from places where the cheese is not melted a bit. If Im there i make them fix it..that seems unsafe when a supposedly safe temp patty cant melt cheese.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:21 pm If it tastes like Doritos.
Howzabout this: Get you some Doritos. Put them in a strong plastic bag, like a gallon freezer bag. Pulverize them with a hammer or rolling pin. Voila! Dorito dust.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kraken wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:53 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:21 pm If it tastes like Doritos.
Howzabout this: Get you some Doritos. Put them in a strong plastic bag, like a gallon freezer bag. Pulverize them with a hammer or rolling pin. Voila! Dorito dust.
Ive thought about a blender or food processor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote:
Someone also said it had dried red bell pepper. You can see it on the chip they say. Im not sure.
That’s what paprika is.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh?..dang.

I found a site that sells Doritos seasoning and Cheetos and such. But when i look at the company that actually makes the season i cant find it listed .

Anyways heres the site.

https://www.casadulceusa.com/

Its in texas. It even shows the products on the front page if you scroll down.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just noticed theres no cheese in this.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:49 pm
I found a site that sells Doritos seasoning and Cheetos and such. But when i look at the company that actually makes the season i cant find it listed .
It was the only result when searching for 'Doritos.' Here.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:55 pm
I just noticed theres no cheese in this.
Or monosodium glutamate.

The nutritional yeast gives it cheesiness.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:17 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:49 pm
It was the only result when searching for 'Doritos.' Here.
Maybe its real. Sure looks like an April fool joke.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Do we have a normal food thread or does this cover it all?

I was looking for jalapeno goat cheese. I missed getting any thing year at my local farmers market. While looking I came across this......

Enlarge Image

never heard of such a thing but sounds delicious! Any lucky folk tried it or something like it? Maybe Kasey?....Also Kasey if you're in here do you have a recommendation for good fermented foods like kraut and kimchi ?

EDIT: DOH! ..anyone know a good brand of goat cheese that isn't expensive..you know..something even i can afford...like $10. Also I need the kraut for my stomach ailments. Its a great stomach healer and anti sick food.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm not Kasey, but I love kimchi. The one I buy most often is Seoul vegan variety (it often has shrimp paste in it). Looks like it might be available at Target. I turn to sauerkraut and kimchi as satisfying, low-cal, late-night snacks. Sauerkraut and cultured foods in general are having a bit of a renaissance, so you should be able to find varieties with all sorts of additions. Curtido is another one I like. There is the added bonus of sauerkraut being really easy to make yourself, and kimchi nearly so.
Last edited by Alefroth on Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:56 pm
I was looking for jalapeno goat cheese.
Daehawk wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:25 am From some of the stuff you folks eat Id think you were pregnant.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whats weird about jalapeno goat cheese? its pretty normal and amazing. theres a local couple here that run a goat dairy and she makes goat cheese products. One is jalapeno. i had never had that in my life until a year ot two ago. its SO good.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That post I keep using is the gift that keeps on giving. :lol:
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I'd go for jalapeno goat cheese. Aldi has some fairly inexpensive goat cheese. Plain, honey, or garlic & herb. I like the honey flavored one the best. Goat cheese is supposedly better for you than regular cheese. I think Aldi's is $2.49 for a 4 ounce package. They have a few other packages that are a little more expensive but sound good, the one with cranberry sounds tempting.

https://www.aldi.us/en/products/dairy-e ... ted-varie/

https://www.aldi.us/en/products/dairy-e ... ssortment/

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cool we have an Aldi. Other side of town. ill need my car back first.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks to that grocery deliver mistake I not only got my normal kraft singles but also kraft white american singles. Never had it before. I like it. has a unique taste to it i cant really describe because I dont think ive had that flavor before. Cool a new food discovery Id never make if I was buying it as Id not take the chance on wasting $5.

From what I read it should taste the same but it doesn't.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:24 am Thanks to that grocery deliver mistake I not only got my normal kraft singles but also kraft white american singles. Never had it before. I like it. has a unique taste to it i cant really describe because I dont think ive had that flavor before. Cool a new food discovery Id never make if I was buying it as Id not take the chance on wasting $5.

I've never thought it tastes the same. I use White American with steak ums. White American I'll also occasionally eat just a slice by itself.

Saw a review of Little Caesar's Detroit deep dish and now I'm jonesing for some pizza. Not that it's that great, but it doesn't look bad and it's cheap enough at $8.99
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im thinking the white would go good on Philly cheese with some Cheez Whiz...if they still sell that around here.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

em2nought wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:41 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:24 am Thanks to that grocery deliver mistake I not only got my normal kraft singles but also kraft white american singles. Never had it before. I like it. has a unique taste to it i cant really describe because I dont think ive had that flavor before. Cool a new food discovery Id never make if I was buying it as Id not take the chance on wasting $5.

I've never thought it tastes the same. I use White American with steak ums. White American I'll also occasionally eat just a slice by itself.

Saw a review of Little Caesar's Detroit deep dish and now I'm jonesing for some pizza. Not that it's that great, but it doesn't look bad and it's cheap enough at $8.99
Their deep dish is actually really good.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:55 pm
em2nought wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:41 pm

Their deep dish is actually really good.
It's by no means the best Detroit deep dish, but it is pretty good and it's a really good value. Similar volume better pizzas around here run about $16. Similar volume snobby pizzas are over $20. Also, last I remember you could get LC's deep dish supreme for about $12 and a similar supreme most other places is about $25. Again, LC isn't even close to as good, but it's a great pizza for the price. $12 for a good pizza is good. $25 for a better pizza is a very rare treat.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, I have no baseline to compared it against, and I don't even think any of our local chains offer that kind of pizza, but do agree it's a great value for what it is. I think it's actually a step up from their usual fare, and I hope they keep it around.

We have a local woodfired outlet, but at around $30 for a large pizza that wasn't all that (for a family of 3), it's not something that we'll ever return to.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Thanks for the positive feedback on Little Caesar's Detroit Deep Dish, now I'm definitely going to have to try it. :dance:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Pizza! Pizza!

Its not all bread?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

em2nought wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:00 am Thanks for the positive feedback on Little Caesar's Detroit Deep Dish, now I'm definitely going to have to try it. :dance:
Uno's makes a great Detroit-style pizza too, speaking as someone else with no frame of reference. I spent the first 20 years of my life in Michigan and never heard of Detroit pizza until recently. A small pizza costs $15+ at Uno but I can only eat two pieces and it has six, so that's a dinner and two lunches. I don't think I've ever seen a Little Kaiser's around here, but if you have access to Uno it's worth trying.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:03 am Pizza! Pizza!

Its not all bread?
It's a a lot dough, which is not a cheap part of the pizza. That dough is cooked awesome. That's why the corner pieces are premium. All bread should be so good.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:03 am Pizza! Pizza!
Oh god, if anything, they're worse than Little Caesars. And if that causes confusion, let me explain. In Canada, we have a chain called Pizza Pizza. And for that very reason, Little Caesars in Canada was not allowed to use the 'Pizza Pizza" slogan, and in fact Little Caesars was taken to court over it decades ago. But Pizza Pizza takes the crown for the worst pizza in Canada. Little Caesars is actually a bit of a step up in that regard.
Wikipedia wrote:Unaffiliated American pizza chain Little Caesars does not use its "Pizza! Pizza!" slogan in Canada due to Pizza Pizza's slogan registered as a trademark. Instead, Little Caesars uses "Two Pizzas!", "Hot 'N' Ready!" or "Delivery! Delivery!", "Quality! Quality!" and other two-word combinations.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti