Gun Politics

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: Gun Politics

Post by Jaymann »

Parker Molloy
@ParkerMolloy

Not sure Ben thought this one through. We do specifically name knives after what they’re for. Butter knife, steak knife, carving knife, paring knife, and yes, hunting knife.

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Those aren’t legal distinctions, though. Whenever we DO start legally classifying knives, we run into the same problems we do with guns. (Looking at you, Nee York)
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Little Raven wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:56 pm Those aren’t legal distinctions, though. Whenever we DO start legally classifying knives, we run into the same problems we do with guns. (Looking at you, Nee York)
We do legally classify knives.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

noxiousdog wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:22 pm We do legally classify knives.
Yes, but we do not legally define what is a butter knife vs a hunting knife.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Seriously, what the everloving fuck is wrong with these people? Mom charged after shooting her 5-year-old son while trying to target loose dog
A mother has been charged after accidentally shooting her 5-year-old son while trying to shoot a dog that was running across the street in north Houston, according to Houston police.

According to neighbors, Vargas, her son, and another family member were riding bikes down the street when a dog ran out.

In Ring doorbell video obtained by ABC13, you can see Bruno running out with the owner following immediately behind. The owner can be seen telling the dog to come back in the house. The dog roams out onto the street, and less than a second later, multiple shots rang out. Gunshots were then followed by extended screaming by the little boy's parents.

Vargas's 5-year-old son was rushed to the hospital in stable condition with non-life-threating wounds, police say.
Good thing Texas is loosening the restrictions on carrying weapons. :roll:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm telling you, this summer is going to be...special.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Call me an asshole but I don't think anyone should be allowed to carry without at least 20 hours of training minimum (10 classroom, 10 range) from a high quality instructor.

Anyone screaming about how this is a financial barrier to "constitutional rights" need to propose a way that such training is provided timely and for free by the government rather than saying it shouldn't be required. With rights come responsibilities.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
naednek

Post by naednek »

https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-worl ... 17308.html

U.S. judge overturns California’s ban on assault weapons
A federal judge Friday overturned California’s three-decade-old ban on assault weapons, ruling that it violates the constitutional right to bear arms.

U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez of San Diego ruled that the state’s definition of illegal military-style rifles unlawfully deprives law-abiding Californians of weapons commonly allowed in most other states and by the U.S. Supreme Court.

“Under no level of heightened scrutiny can the law survive," Benitez said. He issued a permanent injunction against enforcement of the law but stayed it for 30 days to give state Attorney General Rob Bonta time to appeal.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
Texans can carry handguns without a license or training starting Sept. 1, after Gov. Greg Abbott on Wednesday signed the permitless carry bill into law.

House Bill 1927 eliminates the requirement for Texas residents to obtain a license to carry handguns if they’re not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a gun.
But, you know, we need to turn our thermostats up because the grid failure in January didn't result in any greater oversight.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
Today, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed a bill into law that takes the first two steps against National Firearms Act (NFA) restrictions on firearm sound suppressors.

Rep. Tom Oliverson (R-Cypress) filed House Bill 957 (HB957) on Jan. 4. The legislation repeals Texas code criminalizing owning a firearm “silencer,” more accurately referred to as a sound “suppressor” – outside of Federal regulations. It also bans the state from enforcing any federal restrictions on suppressors that don’t exist under the laws of the state.

On May 4, the Texas House passed HB957 by a vote of 95-51. 14 Democrats joined 81 Republicans in voting yes. The full Senate passed it by a party-line vote of 18-13. With Abbott’s signature, the new law goes into effect on Sept. 1.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Missouri was put on notice:
The Justice Department is warning Missouri officials that the state can’t ignore federal law, after the governor signed a bill last week that bans police from enforcing federal gun rules.

In a letter sent Wednesday night and obtained by The Associated Press, Justice officials said the U.S. Constitution’s Supremacy Clause outweighs the measure that Gov. Mike Parson signed into law Saturday. The new rules penalize local police departments if their officers enforce federal gun laws.

Six states have passed legislation removing or weakening concealed-carry permit requirements this year, most recently Texas, where Republican Gov. Greg Abbott signed a bill Wednesday. About 20 states now allow people to carry concealed weapons without a license. At least three other states have passed legislation banning police from enforcing federal gun laws, a preemptive shot at any new measures passed by Democrats.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:57 amThe Justice Department is warning Missouri officials that the state can’t ignore federal law, after the governor signed a bill last week that bans police from enforcing federal gun rules.
Of course they can. States do it all the time - just look at marijuana laws, or sanctuary cities.

States can't stop Federal officials from doing their jobs, but they're under no obligation to do their jobs for them.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Little Raven wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:07 am
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:57 amThe Justice Department is warning Missouri officials that the state can’t ignore federal law, after the governor signed a bill last week that bans police from enforcing federal gun rules.
Of course they can. States do it all the time - just look at marijuana laws, or sanctuary cities.

States can't stop Federal officials from doing their jobs, but they're under no obligation to do it for them.
I agree and DOJ is at best being inconsistent here. There is a faint hint of a strategy here, if someone wanted to give marijuana and safe harbor laws legitimacy then an excellent vehicle for that job is to bring a case like this to the now Conservative judiciary.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Im sure the BATFE would be happy to oblige by stepping up presence/enforcement in these states.

It's also funny that these states had problems with local municipalities not enforcing federal immigration law or assisting ICE. Seems like the same thing in principle.

Much like requiring ID to exercise [explicit] constitutional right to vote but fighting ID requirement to exercise [assumed] constitutional right to carry.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:18 am Im sure the BATFE would be happy to oblige by stepping up presence/enforcement in these states.

It's also funny that these states had problems with local municipalities not enforcing federal immigration law or assisting ICE. Seems like the same thing in principle.

Much like requiring ID to exercise [explicit] constitutional right to vote but fighting ID requirement to exercise [assumed] constitutional right to carry.
Yeah the analysis of everything happening breaks down if you try to apply principles, facts, good governance ideals, the law, or norms.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Seems like one of those instances where you can "both sides" it pretty easily and accurately.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Wow......talk about clueless.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Strong statement but is a giant "gotcha" really the best use of all those resources?
stimpy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:02 am Wow......talk about clueless.......
The recording was at what was supposed to be a rehearsal so it's not quite as clueless as they make it out to be. Their agents or whoever set up the engagement should probably be fired though.

Keene is also some low hanging fruit. But hey, makes great headlines and retweets.
He co-chairs the Constitution Project's "Liberty & Security" initiative with David Cole of the ACLU that has since 9/11 critiqued government security and surveillance measures in terms of their impact on individual privacy and constitutional rights.

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:26 am
stimpy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:02 am Wow......talk about clueless.......
The recording was at what was supposed to be a rehearsal so it's not quite as clueless as they make it out to be. Their agents or whoever set up the engagement should probably be fired though.
I found it funny that the people that set this up even say that if the speakers (or their handlers) would have done a background check, they would have found that the school didnt even exist. How do you accept a speaking engagement and not do any research on the place you'll be speaking to?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Is there any high school in the USA that has a graduating class that’s over 3,000 kids?

Edit : looks like there is technically 1 or 2 private high schools that boast a population over 40,000 kids (!) , so.... I guess maybe those two could generate this sized graduating class.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:56 am Is there any high school in the USA that has a graduating class that’s over 3,000 kids?
I don't think there is any HS in the US with more than 9K kids so it's doubtful.

But remember, this is a visualization exercise, not an actual number of kids set to graduate who died this year. A kid killed 9 years ago who would have been graduating age this year or a kid killed this year who wasn't in high school are both counted.

A powerful statement and stark image but not exactly as portrayed.

Don't get me wrong, even assuming a 75% graduating rate that's still larger than nearly all HS classes and graduating HS isn't a marker of a person's worth anyway.

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Given the last year, it's likely some graduation ceremonies include those not just those who graduate this year, but also include some who graduated last year (if only ceremonially)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:04 am graduating HS isn't a marker of a person's worth anyway.
No, but it is a cultural touchstone, at least in the US, and a common statement regarding those who won't be around to see it, either the child or parent.

(says the guy without kids to the father.)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:04 am
Unagi wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:56 am Is there any high school in the USA that has a graduating class that’s over 3,000 kids?
I don't think there is any HS in the US with more than 9K kids so it's doubtful.

But remember, this is a visualization exercise, not an actual number of kids set to graduate who died this year. A kid killed 9 years ago who would have been graduating age this year or a kid killed this year who wasn't in high school are both counted.

A powerful statement and stark image but not exactly as portrayed.

Don't get me wrong, even assuming a 75% graduating rate that's still larger than nearly all HS classes and graduating HS isn't a marker of a person's worth anyway.
Yeah.

I was actually trying to point out that even just thinking about the size of the graduating class, they should have realized this wasn’t a real school.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

MA is not a state that tolerates would-be militias brandishing weapons, so I'm glad this ended peacefully (if ambiguously).
A cadre of armed men from a militia group called the Rise of the Moors shut down a highway outside of Boston for more than nine hours on Saturday morning after allegedly refusing to comply with police orders and taking off into the woods with guns.

The group says on their website that they’re “Moorish Americans dedicated to educating new Moors and influencing our Elders.” In YouTube videos of the incident, they claimed they were only trying to travel peacefully to their “private land” to camp and “train” on Saturday. CBS Boston reported that they were headed from Rhode Island to Maine.

According to Massachusetts State Police, a trooper saw two cars on the side of the I-95 at about 1:30 a.m. with hazard lights on, attempting to add gas to their tanks.

When the officer stopped to assist, they noticed the men were wearing military gear and had a lot of guns. The trooper asked for driver’s licenses and gun licenses but the men allegedly refused to provide any, and refused to put down their weapons. The trooper called for backup but some of the men fled, police said.
Things could have gone very wrong at that point.
By Saturday afternoon, following a sweep of the woods and a nine-hour standoff that police called “highly dynamic and evolving,” all 11 members had been taken into custody without injury, and the highway had been reopened.

In a press conference after the incident ended, Mason said the State Police will work with the District Attorney’s Office and “appropriate charges” will be brought against the 11 men.

“You can imagine, 11 armed individuals standing with long guns slung on an interstate highway at two in the morning certainly raises concerns and is not consistent with the firearms laws that we have here in Massachusetts,” he said.

He said the men did not have gun licenses on them. Either way, he said, Massachusetts does not allow unloaded or loaded guns to be carried on an interstate highway.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I left the air force from northern Maine I skipped Massachusetts and went thru Vermont and New Hampshire to avoid Mass's stupid and crappy gun laws.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:54 pm When I left the air force from northern Maine I skipped Massachusetts and went thru Vermont and New Hampshire to avoid Mass's stupid and crappy gun laws.
We thank you for your detour. Our laws are stupid and crappy if you want to carry a gun for no particular reason. The rest of us would prefer fewer people doing that. Oh look: MA has the fewest gun deaths per capita in the country. So maybe not so stupid.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

+1. I grew up with guns. I spent most of my working life in jobs with guns. I get the love of guns, and I share it. I get the desire to own them and to collect them. I get the passion and love for the freedom to have guns and use them.

But I've come to recognize that it comes with a cost, and the cost is innocent lives. Lots of them.

I'm not willing to pay that cost.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:04 am

I graduated with about 1,600. Enough that you could only have three people at the ceremony and they broke it in two ceremonies at the Chrysler Arena. Since then they added a whole nother building to the campus. It looks like they are down to about 6,000 students since the coming of school of choice system opened up taxes funding private education. I have no idea what they peaked at.

https://wdet.org/posts/2019/04/29/88126 ... xperience/

I'll say one thing thing for having a high school campus where you knew a very very small portion of the staff and student body. College was pretty much the same thing. Only you spent less time in the class room and more time directing your own studies.

On topic, our security guards carried guns. :D And I remember one kid did bring a gun to school once. I have no idea how they de-escalated the situation nor what happened to him after expulsion.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:02 am
dbt1949 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:54 pm When I left the air force from northern Maine I skipped Massachusetts and went thru Vermont and New Hampshire to avoid Mass's stupid and crappy gun laws.
We thank you for your detour. Our laws are stupid and crappy if you want to carry a gun for no particular reason. The rest of us would prefer fewer people doing that. Oh look: MA has the fewest gun deaths per capita in the country. So maybe not so stupid.
I didn't want to carry a gun in your state. Just drive thru it. But it worked out best for both of us. Vermont and New Hampshire were much prettier.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LordMortis wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:20 am
On topic, our security guards carried guns. :D And I remember one kid did bring a gun to school once. I have no idea how they de-escalated the situation nor what happened to him after expulsion.
There were plenty of guns at my school. They didn't carry them into the building, but if you'd emptied all the cars and trucks in the lot, you'd have been ready for Red Dawn. They weren't supposed to, but nobody went looking unless you gave them a reason.

That's why I personally parked about a block off campus. I occasionally gave them reasons.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The trouble is that those Rhode Island militia guys didn't know or care about the state laws they were traveling thru. Whether I like them or not they were the law and those idiots should have known them.
Personally I keep track of all the laws that might pertain to me in the neighboring states.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:58 am The trouble is that those Rhode Island militia guys didn't know or care about the state laws they were traveling thru. Whether I like them or not they were the law and those idiots should have known them.
Personally I keep track of all the laws that might pertain to me in the neighboring states.
If it's unloaded, cased and locked and in the trunk, you're usually OK, except maybe parts of NJ and NY. You still may get arrested but FOPA protects from prosecution if you are legal.

However, when you get out of the car for roadside assistance, probably not a good idea to strap on the long guns without consulting the lawbook.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Also, declaring that any laws do not apply to them, then running off into the woods when that doesn't result in their immediately being acknowledged as having large penises is kind of stupid.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:58 am The trouble is that those Rhode Island militia guys didn't know or care about the state laws they were traveling thru. Whether I like them or not they were the law and those idiots should have known them.
That's the thing. These guys (Moorish sovereign citizens) literally believe US and state laws do not apply to them. They assert that they are a separate nation and have a treaty of independence from the USA.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Aren't Moops Muslim?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The term Moop is an exonym first used by Christian Europeans to designate the Muslim inhabitants of the Maghreb, the Iberian Peninsula, Sicily and Malta during the Middle Ages. The Moops initially were the indigenous Maghrebine Berbers. The name was later also applied to Arabs and Arabized Iberians.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:11 am
If it's unloaded, cased and locked and in the trunk, you're usually OK, except maybe parts of NJ and NY. You still may get arrested but FOPA protects from prosecution if you are legal.

However, when you get out of the car for roadside assistance, probably not a good idea to strap on the long guns without consulting the lawbook.

Back in the mid 70s when I got out of the air force Mass had just passed a law saying (if I remember right) that you had to notify the state if you carried firearms thru their state. You might have had to have written permission but I don't remember.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:24 am
That's the thing. These guys (Moorish sovereign citizens) literally believe US and state laws do not apply to them. They assert that they are a separate nation and have a treaty of independence from the USA.
The whole sovereign citizen thing ridiculous. It's like telling the IRS that income tax is illegal.

MYT