[movie]Star Trek Beyond

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Odin

Re: [movie]Star Trek Beyond

Post by Odin »

The problem with Star Trek Into Darkness wasn't that it was too cerebral, it's that it was profoundly stupid in almost every conceivable way. It tried too hard to recreate the end of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, but without any of the actual camaraderie that made old Spock's sacrifice meaningful to the audience. It had a spaceship submerging underwater so the pre-technical natives couldn't see it? Funny, without telescopes it seems like just STAYING IN SPACE would have worked better. It had the whole convoluted "Khan" plot (who for some reason was British this time instead of a Sikh. Which, granted, Montalbán wasn't, either, but at least he wasn't pasty white) which involved about 20 elements that made absolutely no sense. It had the desperate need for Khan's blood to heal Kirk at the end, instead of just getting some from the dozens of other eugenic supermen they had in the cooler. It had tribbles for no apparent reason. Aaargh - that movie is such a HUGE disappointment. Even moreso than the first one, which was also pretty dumb.

I get what they're saying - they believe you can either have a summer blockbuster or you can have a deep, meaningful sci-fi movie, but not both. But they're going so far in the Michael Bay "explosions make everything okay!" direction that it just doesn't even feel like Star Trek anymore. Star Trek II, IV, and VI all had smart, clever stories that weren't too convoluted. They need to try to steer closer to those, in my opinion.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Well said, Odin. You most certainly can have an intellectual movie. You just increase the risk of it not making as much money as if you stick with the sad formula of loud noises, people hanging off cliffs and boobs. Star Trek is no longer about telling great stories. It's about throwing as much action, CGI and old references that it can at the audience.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Paramount held a viewing for critics and it appears that the reception was overwhelmingly positive.

http://movieweb.com/star-trek-beyond-early-reactions/

Many comments say its the closest thing to TOS that they have done so far. Full reviews are not out yet so it will be interesting to see how this translates on RT but it sounds like it will be worth seeing in the theatres.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

JJ says he wont recast Chekov

So wtf man...ST needs a Chekov. I liked Anton but he's gone..pick a new actor. He'll replace the entire Trek cast but when his own dies he wont?..Weirdo. Why does a director have total control of this decision?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Star trek made it for a full third of its run without Chekov, and even then he was only active in a fraction of the episodes. It is great to have him, but I can see not recasting him, at least for a little while.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm OK with them writing a character out if it's done well -- not just "Chekov's grandma is sick so he's off to Russia" or something. It's an alternate timeline, after all. Only the Kirk/Spock/McCoy triumvirate is sacrosanct.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote:So wtf man...ST needs a Chekov. I liked Anton but he's gone..pick a new actor. He'll replace the entire Trek cast but when his own dies he wont?..Weirdo. Why does a director have total control of this decision?
I disagree. They should deal with Chekov's death somehow and it'll become part of the timeline.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Really?..Star Trek with out a Chekov? Would you guys want them to go here..heres our new crew member Bekov? The actor died not the character. I think someone else just has to be Chekov next time.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Chekov wasn't on the 1st season of original Star Trek show at all, somehow they managed... And it was different on a TV show as camera focused on the bridge crew quite a bit. In the movie, there's lots more going on, it doesn't really matter who's sitting at the control panel in the corner, it can be any nameless face, they'll be in camera shot for a few seconds at a time.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote:I'm OK with them writing a character out if it's done well -- not just "Chekov's grandma is sick so he's off to Russia" or something. It's an alternate timeline, after all. Only the Kirk/Spock/McCoy triumvirate is sacrosanct.
But how could they do it well without recasting the role for at least one movie? Presumably they didn't shoot a scene where Chekov dies a dramatic noble death. So it's hard to see how the options aren't: (1) offscreen throwaway line ("Chekov moved to Russia and died in a tragic borscht-related accident"); (2) recasting the role at least temporarily so that Chekov can die a heroic death; or (3) CGI Chekov (who then dies a heroic death). None of those options seem great.

I think it's most likely that Chekov won't be in the next movie, but will be back for appropriate successive movie(s) after that.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Star Trek Kelvin Timeline 5. "Chekov....have you done something with your hair?"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Chekov is a supporting character, easily replaced by another that fits the uniform. No need to do something drastic like kill him off.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote:(3) CGI Chekov (who then dies a heroic death).
They did it with Paul Walker in Fast 7. I haven't seen it, but I heard it was really well done.

Additionally, with what they did with Robert Downey Jr. in Civil War, I really wouldn't put anything past them. That was really amazing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote:
They did it with Paul Walker in Fast 7. I haven't seen it, but I heard it was really well done.
I'm not sure why I sat through that damn film, but I did.

The CGI was odd. It made his head look like it was floating over his neck. It was also really, really sappy.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote:
Additionally, with what they did with Robert Downey Jr. in Civil War, I really wouldn't put anything past them. That was really amazing.
Yeah that was incredible. I didn't even process it as CGI at the time.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:Really?..Star Trek with out a Chekov? Would you guys want them to go here..heres our new crew member Bekov? The actor died not the character. I think someone else just has to be Chekov next time.
Half of the stations on the bridge are already crewed by Ensign Doe. Most of the time the only job Chekov had was to say, "Aye, Captain!" and push a button. That can also be Ensign Doe. Sulu was the same way. They're great characters, who had a few great episodes devoted to them, but the show could (and did) function without them.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

They don't need to have that character filled. Just show some nameless shirt in that seat and concentrate on the others.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

But whos going to get directions to the nuqulear wessels now?
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

They should just slide in Walter Koenig and not say anything or explain it.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bonus points if it turns out he's an undercover psychic investigator.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote:
Kraken wrote:I'm OK with them writing a character out if it's done well -- not just "Chekov's grandma is sick so he's off to Russia" or something. It's an alternate timeline, after all. Only the Kirk/Spock/McCoy triumvirate is sacrosanct.
But how could they do it well without recasting the role for at least one movie? Presumably they didn't shoot a scene where Chekov dies a dramatic noble death. So it's hard to see how the options aren't: (1) offscreen throwaway line ("Chekov moved to Russia and died in a tragic borscht-related accident"); (2) recasting the role at least temporarily so that Chekov can die a heroic death; or (3) CGI Chekov (who then dies a heroic death). None of those options seem great.

I think it's most likely that Chekov won't be in the next movie, but will be back for appropriate successive movie(s) after that.
Easy. They destroy the Enterprise in every movie; poor Chekov doesn't make it out next time. Then launch his coffin onto a genesis planet from the next Enterprise. ST: The Search for Chekov!

He's a minor character, though, so it doesn't matter much one way or the other to me. I'd prefer that they introduce a new character, but fleshing him/her out in an action movie is next to impossible without the TV series background. Maybe the smartest move is to import a character from the new TV series if those two properties can intersect.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

El Guapo wrote:They should just slide in Walter Koenig and not say anything or explain it.
Man.....oh man....dang...uh well...cool.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

McNutt wrote:They don't need to have that character filled. Just show some nameless shirt in that seat and concentrate on the others.
They could introduce Ens. Wesley Crusher?
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scuzz wrote: They could introduce Ens. Wesley Crusher?
Still finding reasons to miss promotion exams after all these years.
Black Lives Matter
geezer

Post by geezer »

hepcat wrote:
I'm not sure why I sat through that damn film...
Because it was FANTASTIC. Duh.
Krillin

Post by Krillin »

How about he gets replaced by a promising new cadet, Ensign Jon Luc Picard!!!

:D
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

Lt. Arex
AjD

Post by AjD »

This has long been one of the problems in translating the 60s show to cinema -- figuring out what to do with all those minor characters!

In a TV show, you can keep the focus on the main characters (Kirk/Spock plus Bones), while still giving the secondaries occasional story arcs in various episodes. That's not possible in a motion picture. As crass as it is to say this, I'll bet it makes things easier, story-wise, for the Star Trek movie producers to keep Chekov's seat empty.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

They will use a Redshirt.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

geezer wrote:
hepcat wrote:
Why do you hate America, hep?

And Japan.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In the Kelvin timeline Shran became disgruntled with his life and went off into space looking for adventure. He found it with Starfleet and became one hell of a weapons and navigation officer. He was a shoe in when Chekov died.

"Welcome aboard Mr Shran. Take the weapons position."

Enlarge Image
WarPig

Post by WarPig »

How long do Andorians live?
"Your test assignment will vary depending on the manner in which you have bent the world to your will." - Cave Johnson
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote:
geezer wrote:
hepcat wrote:
Why do you hate America, hep?

And Japan.

I don't hate America. I just think we should see other countries.
He won. Period.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

This friday's opening of ST-B will be the first Trek movie that I will not be seeing on opening day.

Not in a Trekky mood lately.

I own every series, every episode, every movie from the franchise, just not feeling it on this one.

Probably buy it when it hits bluray.

From those going, let me know how much lens flare there is. :mrgreen:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I hear they'll be filling Chekov's seat with a lens flare in future films.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote:I hear they'll be filling Chekov's seat with a lens flare in future films.
:lol: :clap:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Bravo. The lens flare and spinning camera angles made my wife physically ill and now she refuses to go to ANY space movies.

Thanks, JJ!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We plan to see it in a week or two. Always prefer to avoid opening weekend crowds.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm a Star Trek dork. I'll see it next weekend (rule number one: never attend a summer blockbuster on opening weekend...unless it's a DC superhero film, of course.).
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

JSHAW wrote:From those going, let me know how much lens flare there is. :mrgreen:
Since Abrams isn't even directing, why do you think there will be a lens flare issue?
Hodor.