Canada 2015-22 and Beyond: New Hope or Phantom Menace?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Canada 2015-22 and Beyond: New Hope or Phantom Menace?

Post by malchior »

This whole TUPOC thing is so strange. It's like the Freedom Convoy went to ground as a bizarro cult that is trying to merchandise kitsch items while spouting hippie platitudes.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

When is ‘The’ ever included in an acronym like that?

TUSOA - The United States of America
TJPF - The Judean People’s Front
TPFOJ - The Peoples Front of Judea

Just seemed really odd to my eye.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They wanted the Tupac Shakur tie in.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Unagi wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:42 pm When is ‘The’ ever included in an acronym like that?

TUSOA - The United States of America
TJPF - The Judean People’s Front
TPFOJ - The Peoples Front of Judea

Just seemed really odd to my eye.
The Canadian right wing is not good at acronyms. That's why, for a brief but shining moment back when the Reform party was in the process of swallowing the Progressive Conservative party, we had the Canadian Conservative Reform Alliance party.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Nice.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I remember when that happened. It was announced, then it took about a day before they realized the kind of jokes they were setting themselves up for and quickly found a new name for themselves.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

malchior wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:39 pm This whole TUPOC thing is so strange. It's like the Freedom Convoy went to ground as a bizarro cult that is trying to merchandise kitsch items while spouting hippie platitudes.
I don't know about the hippie platitudes, but other than that you don't seem to be far off.

Enlarge Image

Apparently they may not be as well-funded as they present themselves.

Deal to buy St. Brigid's fell apart after TUPC failed to make $100K in deposits: court documents
The court documents said McDonald, along with three others who own various properties around the church, entered into an agreement to sell them to TUPC on June 13.

A sale agreement dated June 8 — signed electronically by the owners and Komer — shows the site was to be sold for $5.95 million. That came with a series of deposits, starting with $5,000, which were set to increase over time.

McDonald's affidavit shows a second payment of $10,000 was supposed to be made 14 days later, then a payment of $30,000 at 30 days and one for $60,000 at the 45-day mark.

When all conditions were waived, which was set to happen within 120 days of the offer being accepted, a fifth deposit of $200,000 was to be paid.

McDonald writes that the initial $5,000 was paid, but as time went on, TUPC twice asked for the payment dates to be pushed back until the second, third and fourth payments — totalling $100,000 — were all due on Aug. 10.

When that date passed and the funds had not been deposited, the owners decided to terminate the agreement to buy the properties, according to the court documents.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:58 pm
malchior wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:39 pm This whole TUPOC thing is so strange. It's like the Freedom Convoy went to ground as a bizarro cult that is trying to merchandise kitsch items while spouting hippie platitudes.
I don't know about the hippie platitudes, but other than that you don't seem to be far off.
Their website has a lot of talk about fostering community spirit and openness. Pretty weird for people who shut down a capital.
By providing such a shared space in the community, we hold space for a wide variety of voices to be heard, not just those that have the budgets for their own exclusive high-visibility spaces. Many people and organizations from coast-to-coast, north to south, and within and around Ottawa have expressed their support for The Embassy of The United People of Canada in Ottawa. We look forward to being a great addition to Ottawa, with our vision for such a vibrant and inclusive community space!

"Community Conversations provide a safe space in which people come together for thoughtful discussion and dialogue about big visions and shared values — past, present, and future. Today, more than ever, we need this kind of dialogue."
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, there seems to be no indication that they've actually attempted to do any of that.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

In Canada fears of 'dangerous' politics mounting
Online threats, racist or misogynistic insults, public harassment and outright physical intimidation are just some of the behaviours that officials warn are changing the face of Canadian politics.

The issue was highlighted last weekend, when a man was filmed launching an expletive-laden verbal assault at Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland.

The incident - which was posted to social media - shows a man shouting at her as she approached a lift in Grande Prairie's city hall during a visit to Alberta.

The man is seen calling her a "traitor" and using various profanities as he tells her to leave the western province. Police have since confirmed they are looking into the incident.

It comes after other public incidents, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau being pelted by gravel by anti-vaccine mandate protesters during the last federal election and NDP leader Jagmeet Singh being verbally harassed outside an event earlier this year.
Somehow this never seems to happen to right-wing politicians. It's a mystery.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yahoo
The Ontario government has introduced legislation that will prevent education workers in the province from going on strike. Despite this though, CUPE members are taking a stand and vow to be off the job to protest on Friday, November 4, 2022. The legislation from the Ontario government is sparking outrage amongst parents, teachers and politicians, who are concerned about living wages and workers’ rights.
It comes after The Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE), the union representing 55,000 education workers in the province, gave a five days strike notice on Sunday if a deal wasn’t reached with the government by Friday. CUPE's decision to go ahead puts pressure on the Ontario government to change their terms.
Robert Drummond, professor emeritus at York University’s Department of Politics, says the Ford government is intent on maintaining a tight budget system that doesn’t involve public sector wage increases on a high level, despite currently showing a budget surplus.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

1) Mismanage public health care into the ground.
2) "Fix" the problem by privatizing health care.
n) Profit!

Ontario expanding number and range of surgeries offered at for-profit clinics
Ontario is significantly expanding the number and range of medical procedures performed in privately run clinics as the province deals with a surgical backlog made worse by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The change will be introduced over three phases. The first will see surgical and diagnostic clinics in Ottawa, Kitchener-Waterloo and Windsor perform an additional 14,000 cataract operations each year, representing about 25 per cent of the province's current wait list for the procedure.

Next, more private clinics will be able to offer MRI and CT imaging, as well as colonoscopies and endoscopies.

"These procedures will be non-urgent, low-risk and minimally invasive and, in addition to shortening wait times, will allow hospitals to focus their efforts and resources on more complex and high-risk surgeries," the province said in a news release.

The government intends that by 2024, the third phase will see hip and knee replacements performed at for-profit clinics.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Will be interesting to see how they handle the knee and hips. Assuming bundles, and that may be cost effective.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:02 pm 1) Mismanage public health care into the ground.
2) "Fix" the problem by privatizing health care.
n) Profit!

Ontario expanding number and range of surgeries offered at for-profit clinics
Next, more private clinics will be able to offer MRI and CT imaging, as well as colonoscopies and endoscopies.

"These procedures will be non-urgent, low-risk and minimally invasive and, in addition to shortening wait times, will allow hospitals to focus their efforts and resources on more complex and high-risk surgeries," the province said in a news release.
I respectfully submit that colonoscopies are not minimally invasive.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

From the perspective that they are taking advantage of an existing hole rather than making a new one, I think it is justified. From the perspective "you are shoving what? where?"... well, yeah.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Fireball wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:23 pm Justin Trudeau is sorta hot, for a politician. As I'll have to see pictures of the Canadian PM from time to time, I ask that Canada please elect him.
Prime Canadian beef is back on the menu. Justin Trudeau and Sophie Grégoire Trudeau announce separation
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:38 pm
Fireball wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:23 pm Justin Trudeau is sorta hot, for a politician. As I'll have to see pictures of the Canadian PM from time to time, I ask that Canada please elect him.
Prime Canadian beef is back on the menu. Justin Trudeau and Sophie Grégoire Trudeau announce separation
Darn it, a few years too late, as I'm now a married man myself.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Congrats Fireball. Enjoy wedded bliss. :wink:
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Seriously Canada?

FSWC is appalled that Canada’s Parliament gave a standing ovation to a Ukrainian veteran who served in a Nazi military unit during the Second World War implicated in the mass murder of Jews and others.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

From other reporting, it sounds like whoever decided this was a good idea did so on the basis that he was a Ukrainian who fought for Ukrainian independence against the Soviet Union. I suppose nobody thought to connect the dots as to how, exactly, that would work in practice, or how it looks even if he wasn't directly complicit in crimes against humanity.
Rota then looks up to the gallery and introduces a World War Two veteran of Ukrainian descent. The now-98-year-old, Rota says, fought for Ukrainian independence against Russia many years ago.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:56 pm From other reporting, it sounds like whoever decided this was a good idea did so on the basis that he was a Ukrainian who fought for Ukrainian independence against the Soviet Union. I suppose nobody thought to connect the dots as to how, exactly, that would work in practice, or how it looks even if he wasn't directly complicit in crimes against humanity.
Rota then looks up to the gallery and introduces a World War Two veteran of Ukrainian descent. The now-98-year-old, Rota says, fought for Ukrainian independence against Russia many years ago.
Oh, THOSE Nazis? (SMH)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

More info from the CBC:

House Speaker apologizes for honouring Ukrainian who fought in Nazi unit in WW II
Speaker of the House Anthony Rota apologized Sunday for honouring a man who fought in a Nazi unit during the Second World War.

Rota was responding to condemnation from Jewish groups and others stemming from a moment during Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy's visit to Parliament on Friday. During the visit, Rota said Yaroslav Hunka was "a Ukrainian hero, a Canadian hero, and we thank him for all his service."

Those gathered in the House responded with applause and a standing ovation.

"I have subsequently become aware of more information which causes me to regret my decision to [honour Hunka]. I wish to make clear that no one, including fellow parliamentarians and the Ukraine delegation, was aware of my intention or of my remarks before I delivered them," Rota said.

"I particularly want to extend my deepest apologies to Jewish communities in Canada and around the world," he added.

Rota said he accepted "full responsibility" for his actions.
Dominique Arel, chair of Ukrainian studies at the University of Ottawa, told CBC News on Sunday that the division Hunka was part of had attracted thousands of Ukrainian volunteers, many joining with hopes they could achieve Ukrainian independence.

Only Germans from Germany itself were able to fight in the German army, Arel explained, so non-German volunteers who believed in Nazi aims or sought to use Nazi power for their own ends were organized into SS divisions.

"We have the issue of symbolism here, the optics of serving in a military unit whose logo is that of arguably the greatest criminal organization in the 20th century ... So obviously the optics are not good."

Arel said it was difficult to determine whether specific groups of a division had committed any atrocities, though he did say that by the time Hunka's division would have reached the Eastern Front in 1944 after training in Germany, Nazi operations related to the Holocaust in the area would have already concluded.

Arel said there was an extremely "complex, if not somewhat dark legacy" left by Ukrainian nationalist movements at the time of the Second World War that sometimes adhered to far-right ideologies and collaborated with the Nazis against the Soviet Union.

"For them, the ultimate evil was Moscow occupation," Arel said.

"They were ready to fight for what they believed to be their own independence. That's the take-away from between today and then. But the association with the SS and the constant use of symbolism to this day, that is highly problematic."

In 1985, then-prime minister Brian Mulroney called for a royal commission to examine whether Canada had become a haven for war criminals.

The Deschênes Commission found there were about 600 former members of the Waffen-SS Galicia Division living in Canada at the time. But Justice Jules Deschênes said membership in the division did not itself constitute a war crime.

Arel said the commission had found there was no evidence the division was implicated in atrocities specifically against Jews, though the division was implicated in later attacks on Polish civilians.
One would hope that we soon have a new Speaker in Parliament.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Diverting funds from hospitals to private for-profit clinics and paying more per procedure will surely fix the problems with Ontario's overtaxed healthcare system.

Doug Ford government paying for-profit clinic more than hospitals for OHIP-covered surgeries, documents show
Premier Doug Ford's government gives a for-profit clinic more funding to perform certain OHIP-covered surgeries than it gives Ontario's public hospitals to perform the same operations, CBC News has learned.

Ontario's government has never before made public the rates it pays a private clinic in Toronto to perform thousands of outpatient day surgeries each year.

Through a freedom of information request, CBC News obtained documents that reveal those funding rates for the first time. You can see one of those documents for yourself at the bottom of this story.

Four senior officials who work in different parts of Ontario's hospital system reviewed the documents, and all four say the rates being paid to the privately-owned Don Mills Surgical Unit Ltd. are noticeably higher than what the province provides public hospitals for the same procedures.

That discrepancy raises questions about the government's imminent plans to expand the volume and scope of surgeries performed outside of hospitals, including the potentially lucrative field of hip and knee replacements.

Ford and his health minister have pitched this expansion as a cost-efficient way to get more surgeries done and reduce wait times.

However, many health-care professionals are concerned that outsourcing more surgeries to privately run for-profit clinics would merely shift resources from Ontario's hospitals and boost clinic owners' revenues, without actually shortening wait lists.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:19 pm Diverting funds from hospitals to private for-profit clinics and paying more per procedure will surely fix the problems with Ontario's overtaxed healthcare system.

Yep. He should be out on this alone. Add in the green space debacle and I think I've had my fill of the guy.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This should make for a good Netflix thriller sometime soon.

Trial of former RCMP official accused of leaking secrets moves to closing arguments today
The jury will hear closing arguments today in the trial of a former senior RCMP intelligence official accused of offering top-secret information to police targets for money.

Cameron Ortis has pleaded not guilty in Ontario Superior Court to six charges, including four counts under the Security of Information Act — the law that's meant to guard Canada's secrets.

The Crown alleges the former civilian member used his position within the RCMP — leading an intelligence unit that had access to Canadian and allied intelligence — to attempt to sell secrets to individuals on the RCMP's radar.

Ortis is accused of leaking special operational information to Phantom Secure CEO Vincent Ramos — who sold encrypted cellphones to organized crime members — and Salim Henareh and Muhammad Ashraf, two men police suspected of being agents of an international money-laundering network with ties to terrorists.

He's also accused of trying to leak information to Farzam Mehdizadeh. One RCMP witness told Ortis's trial he believes Mehdizadeh worked with "the most important money launderers in the world."

Ortis, however, has told the court he never intended to sell information to anyone — that he was actually working on a secret mission from a foreign agency. Ortis said the plan was to lure criminals to an encrypted email service to allow authorities to collect intelligence about them. The email service has called Ortis's claims "completely false."
As I understand it, his defence seems to be that he had the authority to set up a sting operation based on intelligence from a foreign partner, but couldn't tell anyone about it because the foreign partner tipped him off to a mole, and he can't disclose details about the foreign partner interaction because it's classified. So classified that even the rest of the RCMP and Canadian intelligence community can't know about it, apparently. Good luck with that...

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's a good day for Dow Chemical.

Judge says Ottawa listing plastic items as toxic was 'unreasonable and unconstitutional'
A Federal Court judge has ruled that a federal government decision to list plastic items as toxic was "unreasonable and unconstitutional."

In a ruling released Thursday, Justice Angela Furlanetto wrote that the category of plastic manufactured items was too broad to be given a blanket toxicity label under federal law.

"There is no reasonable apprehension that all listed [plastic manufactured items] are harmful," Furlanetto wrote.

The case was brought forward by a group of major industrial players in plastics, including Dow Chemical, Imperial Oil and Nova Chemicals. They argued that Ottawa failed to demonstrate it had enough scientific evidence to justify the regulations.

Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Danielle Smith posted this news as "another win for Alberta."
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.