[TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: [TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Post by hepcat »

Are we ABSOLUTELY sure Picard season 2 wasn't intended as a comedy? I'm just tossing that out there. I would love to watch it again...but with a laugh track.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:48 pm Are we ABSOLUTELY sure Picard season 2 wasn't intended as a comedy? I'm just tossing that out there. I would love to watch it again...but with a laugh track.
Oh man the internet absolutely needs to make that happen.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:04 am
hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:48 pm Are we ABSOLUTELY sure Picard season 2 wasn't intended as a comedy? I'm just tossing that out there. I would love to watch it again...but with a laugh track.
Oh man the internet absolutely needs to make that happen.
Yackety Sax ftw. Somebody make that generative AI do this.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Go here and either turn on the auto lol, or just hit one of the laugh track buttons when appropriate…which is like…always.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is awesome.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, in other words, he built a torture device?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No offense intended, but God I hated that theme song. It was the yacht rock Star Trek.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Why? Oh, god, why?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Lmao you guys. I couldn't agree more.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:34 am This is awesome.

It is awesome...if you were a Gul questioning a Federation officer about how many light fixtures were in the room.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I loved it at least,
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The mechanics behind it are cool, I admit. But it’s like listening to a song written by a band that makes Air Supply sound like Marilyn Manson.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, it's technically impressive, but I think I'd have been more impressed if he had chosen to do any of the other Trek themes.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oof, the first review of the third season of Picard that I’ve seen is not kind.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:30 am Oof, the first review of the third season of Picard that I’ve seen is not kind.
The review is about what I expected. However, based on the comments on that article I am finally starting to get an idea about what audience they are shooting for.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:30 am Oof, the first review of the third season of Picard that I’ve seen is not kind.
Wait...you mean they didn't suddenly figure out how to write a decent show right after filming a Star Trek character eating car batteries in a 21st century Los Angeles parking lot??
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I do quite like the introduction of a talking pug named Mr. Tribbles though.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Oof. I'll no doubt watch it the next time I subscribe to Paramount+, but I sure won't subscribe just to watch it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Not really much of a surprise at this point, is it? Great trailers, lousy direction. We've already been burned twice, so what's stopping them from burning us thrice? The sad thing is, TNG fans have deserved far better than this. If the first two seasons are any indication, the writers and showrunners have shown that they haven't been up to the task. A better situation would have given us a show with better writing, subtlety and tack. At this point, Stewart didn't go along with things because he personally thought it was great, but because they were waving cash around to convince him they were doing great things.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

This is rather promising, but I still remain highly skeptical:

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Akiva Goldsman, is that you?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Basically I'm only going to watch Picard season 3 if the consensus here is that the season is good.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m going to watch it because it’s either going to be good or a train wreck. And I find both fun to watch.
Covfefe!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I recently finished watching Strange New Worlds, and I have to say the finale is one of the best Star Trek episodes in a long, long time, IMO. There are two other standout episodes (the two Gorn episodes, although the Gorn in All Those Who Wander are so different from the one's we've seen before that I wonder if they shouldn't have just made it a new race), with the rest being enjoyable, but more average. Also I think the cast has better chemistry together than most Trek shows.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I liked making the Gorn the mysterious big bad, but I wasn’t a fan of the Aliens/Gorn episode.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Strangely, while I'd like to watch SNW, I'm not able to. Trek shows here are available via broadcast and on Crave. I get access to Crave via the DVR, and not through an app due to tech issues. But somehow, while I'm able to get every other Trek on Crave, SNW is missing for me. I've looked everywhere and the way everything is organized via their on-demand is terribly confusing. It's strangely missing from what's available for me.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Welp, Picard season 3 is off to a shaky start.
Spoiler:
Every season doesn’t have to start with “the federation has some bad people in it, don’t let them know I sent you a secret message”, you know. How many goddamn times are we going to go to that well before we realize someone has been pissing in it for the last 10 years?
All I wanted was a good story. Just one good story. But nooooo, that’s too much to ask. :(
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hate seeing them older because Im older too along with them. Its great to still have them doing their thing though and some of it being Star Trek still.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, so far I'm liking it. I find it's already a better start than either season 1 or 2. But even season 2 took a tease approach, so we'll see if they redeem themselves.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

We'll see where it goes but I'm not getting great vibes. It still feels like Picard (the series), and not in any good way. But I wasn't expecting anything beyond that (just hoping for it). Still, it's great to see members of the old cast.

Spoiler:
- This season begins like the first one, maybe the second? I forget. "I have to get a ship." Geez Jean-Luc, maybe it's time to invest in your own? You'd think senior Starfleet personnel, even retired, would have easier access to ships. At least small/transport vessels. Though it makes sense that not every Federation citizen has their own. How does one become a ship-owner in the Federation, where they've evolved beyond currency? (Or is that only Earth? Obviously latinum exists elsewhere in the quadrant.) It's amazing how little we've seen of the lives of average citizens in the previous series/movies. It results in all the cities feeling more like something out of Star Wars/Blade Runner/etc.

- Surprised to see they didn't kill off Varis (no, not him). (Off-screen, like her hubby after season one? :roll:) Thought for sure she'd be disappeared so we could see Picard macking on Crusher again. I'm sure we might by season's end.

- Crusher just disappeared 20 years ago? I mean sure, but you'd think more of the crew would have stayed in touch. But I guess that's often how it works after retirement or moving on to a new career/field.

- Is he Picard's son, or isn't he? Who gives a shit. Is his name David? Jack? :roll:

- Captain Shaw is a real jerk. I know we've seen other hardasses in positions of authority in the Federation, but how does this guy make captain? And Seven may be frustrated/disillusioned, but essentially hijacking the Titan? Wouldn't she qualify for a lengthy prison sentence? Loyalty and suspension of disbelief and all that, but I'm constantly surprised by how often Starfleet crews are willing to potentially throw their careers/lives away by following their captain on some damn fool idealistic crusade. But I know it would be a boring universe otherwise.

- It may be a cheap nostalgia/gravitas play, but I looooove the implementation of the various classic trek scores. It makes the experience feel incredibly cinematic. I've heard the TMP/TNG theme enough for a lifetime, but it feels right to hear it here even if this series can't possibly live up to TNG's legacy. The First Contact theme always brings a tear to my eye. What was the very last piece of music, over the black-background credits? It's reminiscent of the TOS films but I couldn't place it. At first I was thinking Search for Spock.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, I've always said that this series felt more like movie Picard than TNG Picard, and I think that's where the tonal shift comes from. But I can see they're trying here to get back to those sensibilities of TNG. What comes off feeling off is that it's still taking place in a rather grim version of Starfleet that's seen in most modern Trek. All the people in power are so cynical and unwilling to help. We've seen it in Season 1 too, where the Admiral yells at Picard. Then the crews have no choice but to become a rogue crew. It's a big galaxy, but for some reason everyone has turned their backs on them?? Where are the Allies?

But I do agree that this largely feels like it's treading the same ground as Season 1. It should have been Season 1, in fact.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, I actually enjoyed episode 2. Go figure. It felt like classic TNG at times….well, at least far more so than previous seasons.
Spoiler:
Plus I rather liked Worf’s entrance, even if it was a bit hackneyed.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, just watched episode 2, it's pretty great so far. My main criticism would be the dark bridges or overall dark lighting everywhere. It's like they took one look at DS9 or Yesterday's Enterprise and figured everything had to be dark. In Yesterday's Enterprise, they were a militarized version of the future, and so it made sense in that context. But as Captain Shaw pointed out, they are on an exploration vessel! They also make sense for Klingon vessels but it's clearly not Klingon and lit about the same way as the Shrike. Would it kill anyone to add a bit of colour?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wil Wheaton turns 51 this year.

Jonathan Frakes was 35 when he started playing Riker

Patrick Stewart was 47 when he started as Picard

So Wheaton is now 16 years old than Riker and 4 years older than Picard. And he doesn't seem either one at all.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Have they thrown Allison Pill out an airlock yet?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yes, she's not in this season.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:50 am Yes, she's not in this season.
Then I might be back in.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I'm super late to this thread. I just signed up for Paramount + for the first time and started watching Discovery. I'm currently on Season 3. So far I really like the series. The production values and action have been dramatically ramped up from past series. So far each season has felt like a much more fleshed out Star Trek movie. I'm waiting to finish Season 4 before I start in on Strange New Worlds and Picard. Perhaps the one thing I don't like and don't really understand is the changed look of the Klingons. Why did they do that? I also don't really like when they have long scenes where they speak Klingon, it's too jarring.

I will say that I really enjoyed the season with Pike and Spock and I look forward to watching their show.
FTE
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm watching this finally. I know it is good when the action starts with the former ship's doctor in a desperate shootout. (Sorry if I'm spoiling the very first scene!).

Even better when she has a pump action laser rifle. I guess you need to charge it with a quick pump to generate the energy to disintegrate an adversary. The future is so retro!

Edit: I posted too quick. It also has a helpful feature that blares out that you are out of ammo. I need to buckle in - it appears this show is going down a rabbit hole of dumb quickly.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:07 am I'm watching this finally. I know it is good when the action starts with the former ship's doctor in a desperate shootout. (Sorry if I'm spoiling the very first scene!).

Even better when she has a pump action laser rifle. I guess you need to charge it with a quick pump to generate the energy to disintegrate an adversary. The future is so retro!

Edit: I posted too quick. It also has a helpful feature that blares out that you are out of ammo. I need to buckle in - it appears this show is going down a rabbit hole of dumb quickly.
Is that Picard season 3?
Black Lives Matter.