New mouse time

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

New mouse time

Post by Daehawk »

I think I cursed / jinxed myself the other day when I praised my mouse as being so great and all. Now the right button is barely working out of the blue. Sometimes works most times doesn't. If I press REALLY hard it will work. I need it to loot and look around and about everything in my games. I took it apart and cleaned all the fur out of it but it didn't help the button. helped the wheel though :)

Ive used all kinds of pc mice in my time from the old ball mice to this darkfield sensor mouse. My wife says one too many temper tantrums has broken it. She's probably right. Ive really really loved my last few mice....all by Logitech. Guessing at the names Id say mx700 mx1000 and this one a Performance MX. All are cordless which I love. And all are Logitech which Ive grown to dislike except for their mice.

Ive not even looked online other than checked my old thread on laptop and mouse. But it was no help as the replies had to do wit ha small mouse for laptop use.

So suggestions? My criteria are ....

Prefer cordless but will look at corded
Nothing silly like RAT or those mice you put weights in or transform
no cheap crappy ones
must have at least 5 or 6 buttons
must have 2 thumb buttons for back and forward

I dont care for fancy glowing lights. If it has it ok if not ok. I suppose I could spend up to $80 but would prefer the range of $25 - $60

Ok off to look around. Also Im right handed.

Here are some pics of my current mouse for an idea. I find it SO very comfortable . I rest my wrist/back palm on my mouse pad and use only my fingers / fingertips on the mouse itself.

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Re: New mouse time

Post by Daehawk »

Wife reminded me of two things that are important.

I use my first and middle finger for buttons so Im not sure those mice with the wide scroll wheel area would work for me. Maybe someone could comment?

And since I like wireless it would need to be cord rechargeable and not the type you have to switch batteries in or charge in a external charger.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't really have specific suggestions, as I haven't used a cordless mouse or keyboard in years. I have a desktop PC - my mouse doesn't need to 'travel', plus I use a mouse bungee so my cord is never in the way. I do, however, like Logitech mice (I have a G9X right now and love it.) I've heard good things about Corsair, but wouldn't touch Razer with a 10-foot mousepad.

Have you considered going to their sites and plugging in your criteria? Find one you like, google a few reviews.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The one above is the one I have. I never take the charging cord off of it, though, as I got tired of having to plug it in at random times and keep track of where the cord ended up. If it's still available, I'd replace it with the same one in a heartbeat.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

While I can't fault the Razer dislike, that is sadly what I currently have. :D

Seriously, I haven't had any issues in a while. So maybe (crosses fingers) Razer has finally hired someone competent to write their drivers. I have a Hex:

I really like the 6 buttons on the side. Works especially well for FPS games with limited weapon options. I even get some use out of it for WoW (when I played) for the most common abilities. For something like Borderlands, it really helps.

Edit: Found a smaller image.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote:While I can't fault the Razer dislike, that is sadly what I currently have. :D

Seriously, I haven't had any issues in a while. So maybe (crosses fingers) Razer has finally hired someone competent to write their drivers. I have a Hex:
For me it was quality control + customer support. I had a Razer Imperator go bad under warranty (bad switch, known issue for that model.) I sent it back out of my own pocket. They sent me a refurbished mouse as a replacement. It had the exact same problem out of the box (clicking once resulted in two or three clicks.) I sent it back, and it was replaced with a different mouse with a different known issue. That's three bad mice in a row. When I wrote them back the third time, the accused me of fraud, saying I was trying to rip them off, and told me that this replacement would be my last, regardless of the warranty.

The final replacement worked, at least for the few months it took me to save up to buy a non-Razer mouse. I stuck it in a drawer and chose to never do business with Razer again.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Not even a little surprised. I have a few that I picked up on Woot sales to try. The biggest issues I've had were with the software. I don't recall any issues with the hardware. But it does seem like they are really more interested in new functionality than in supporting what they've got.

I've used a number of Logitech mice too. Never had any issues (again that I recall).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just woke up. I didn't know I could input my wants into a site to get hardware rec. I did think about getting the same mouse. New though is $100. I got on eBay and looked and can get them there for about $30 used in great shape or $50 new in box. SO I may go that route since I love this one so much. Im going to check Corsair and Steel too. I found 2 cool ones but price or style turned me off. A G602 and a G502 PROTEUS CORE. The 602 is wireless but you cant recharge it. You switch batteries or recharge it outside the mouse. Nope. And I cant recall whats wrong with the G502 right now other than price.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Here are the main three ways people like to grip their mice.

Green indicates where you actually contact the mouse.
Daehawk wrote:I rest my wrist/back palm on my mouse pad and use only my fingers / fingertips on the mouse itself.
This describes the fingertip grip, which is what I use as well. With the fingertip grip, you have better fine movement but you can't cover as much total surface area. You benefit from having a mouse with very high DPI so that you can set your mouse to very high sensitivity, and you benefit from having as light a mouse as possible, so that it's easier to make those fine movements with your fingertips.

I highly recommend you check out the Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex.

I switched to this earlier this year after using a heavier multibuttoned gaming mouse for years, and I couldn't be happier with it. This was one of the lightest gaming mice I could find, and the change in weight from my old mouse was instantly noticeable and appreciated.

This is corded, and I know you said you like cordless, but the battery in cordless mice adds a lot of weight. Your choice if that's a dealbreaker, but the cloth braided cord on this mouse is so thin and light I barely notice it.

It also may be a bit low on buttons for your wants. In addition to the standard left/right buttons, there are two thumb buttons on the left and an easy clicking scroll wheel. The button just below the scroll wheel lets you swap on the fly between different DPI sensitivities.

FWIW, you can also completely customize the color the mouse glows, or have the light change in color and brightness with a few different patterns.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I also use a fingertip grip, and it is why I have the G9X. With the thinner case and the weights removed, it is perfect (although that Daedalus Apex looks pretty nice as well.) I like corded. I like the faster response times (even if wireless mice are getting pretty close these days), the light weight, and never having to charge it. My mouse never leaves my desk, so wireless range isn't really a plus, and with a mouse bungee, the cord never 'tugs' on the mouse.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I use a plain old Logitech MX518. I liked it and I hate switching mice so I bought an extra to have on reserve. Haven't had to go to the back-up yet.

The design is 10 years old but it works for me.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

I'm a palm gripper and I use an MX518 as well and I love it. It's still going strong after six years, so I'll probably go with another Logitech when it finally dies. There are so many choices in gaming mice these days it's ridiculous, though.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

BooTx wrote:I'm a palm gripper and I use an MX518 as well and I love it. It's still going strong after six years, so I'll probably go with another Logitech when it finally dies. There are so many choices in gaming mice these days it's ridiculous, though.
I think mine's been going just about as long. I've opened it to clean it once when the wheel got sketchy but other than that no problems.

I'm right in the middle between fingertip style and palm gripper style.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yep fingertip. Honestly not sure how anyone could use the claw way. Ill look into that 303 and 518. The Apex looks cool. The 518 is almost a copy of my old MX700 wireless mouse. It was my first wireless and sold me on them.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk wrote:Honestly not sure how anyone could use the claw way.
It's not for me but supposedly if you're super L337 the claw grip is faster and gives more precision. Your fingers can click faster in that position due to something something yadda yadda and you can get that .02ms advantage in Counter-Strike.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok out of the recs for new mice that G303 has got my eye. Its not a bad price either at $50. But first Im going to try to find one like mine to simply replace it. I found one last night new in box for $40 but this morning it was sold doh. Too slow. I have had mine many years and I hate to just change to a new style without first trying to just replace mine. Failing that the G303 seems the one. Its not fancy or wide and its clean looking with the same buttons I have now. Thanks.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I spent over a hundred bucks on a Razer MMO mouse, returned it, and got a different asymmetrical razer mouse, which I've since fallen in love with. It's not perfect, but it's solid and works great.

Taipan I think it's called.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Taipan looks symmetrical to me.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

The Corsair Vengeance M65 is the ONLY excellent mouse I've found in 10 years. The one I have is actually the original M60. The one thing I wish it had but doesn't is wireless, but I can live without it, and it's so strong in every other aspect, that being wired doesn't bother me at all. Three years of use, and still works like new.

I had always gone to Logitech for wireless before, since I have never had a single problem with Logitech's wirelessness. But the double-click issue hit 4 of my Logitechs in a row over 4 years, so I gave up on Logitech altogether. And yes I know that the "double-click when single-click is intended" is apparently a problem exclusive to me and very few others, but I've owned my Corsair for 3 years now, and have never had that problem with it. Where Logitech excelled though, was the wireless connection was always solid on all of their mice I've owned, the response was fantastic, and the comfort level on their higher-end models was excellent. The old G7 would still be my favorite mouse if they hadn't all (Three G7s and one G700) had that problem.

At that point, I considered Razer, but read about too many instances of double-clicking with them too.

I've used a few mid-range Microsoft mice as well over the last 20 years, but the buttons have always felt slightly "mushy" to me, and the comfort was not good overall. They just always felt a bit cheap.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had that double click bug too once. I think I even got my mouse replaced if I remember right. Then THAT mouse did it too. I just put up wit hit and after a while it quit all on it's own and never returned. No idea what happened.

On that Corsair Vengeance M65 doesn't that sniper button get in the way of holding it on the thumb side?
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Daehawk wrote: On that Corsair Vengeance M65 doesn't that sniper button get in the way of holding it on the thumb side?
Nope. It's actually mounted slightly ahead of where my thumb normally is. You have to consciously move your thumb just slightly forward to use it. And as a sniper button, it actually works really well, right out of the box. No set-up needed. It makes fine-tuning your shot so easy (by reducing the DPI as long as you hold the button), it almost feels like cheating. And since I play a lot of sniper-type games, it's a natural for me. The two narrow buttons on the left side default as the back and forward buttons for my browser, as I think they do on most mice. The DPI buttons just below the scroll wheel are placed perfectly. Out of the way, and yet found quickly and instinctively.

But even if you never use the button at all (I imagine you could program it to do something else), it never gets in the way.

Some of the fancier models of the M65 allow all kinds of color customization for the lights, but I don't need any of that, and just bought the plain version with the (mild) blue lights. I also have the Corsair Vengeance K90 keyboard, also with the blue backlighting, as I don't like all that fancy multi-colored backlighting. That keyboard is no longer available I see, but a new version is the K95 RGB. Kind of expensive, but I love the keyboard as well. That model does have al the fancy lighting stuff, but they make several other models too.

I can't remember if my local Best Buy had one on display last time I was up there, but if a store in your area has one set up, I recommend giving it a try. Overall, it's the most comfortable and reliable mouse I've ever owned. The one complaint I keep seeing about it is that the customization software can be confusing. That could be true I guess, but I wouldn't know because I've never tried to use it. I just plugged it in, and it does everything I need it to right out of the box.

Here's a review.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks Ill look into it. As for our Best Buy its a dead store really. It used to be a nice big full store. Last time I went it was half gone with little merchandise and absolutely no displays to test out items. I doubt Ill ever go back. It was pretty sad. Seems brick and mortar stores for electronics are a dead end.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The double click problem was what started my drama with Razer (and it is defective switches, not a software problem.) I've never had a problem with Logitech, though. That said, I do own a Corsair mechanical keyboard, and absolutely love it. It is the best gaming keyboard I've ever had, and by far. I'm happy enough with it that, should my current mouse fail, I'd probably try a Corsair instead.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just want to run this button problem past you all to confirm its a bad switch. Thats my opinion.

It seems to only do it when i have to hold the right button down for any period of time. That seems to be why it only fails in Dragon Age Inquisition. Other games its ok but in those I simply click for the most part. In DAI I do a lot of running around and hold right is my driving button if you will. If I click its fine, a quick click and drag and it may be ok or may not. But to hold down it will fail...unless I either hold it down with super force or I barely hold it down. If I barely am applying pressure to the right button it works pretty good with only random failure. When it does fail it seems to think Ive let it go. It has a good feel to it and has the normal click sound. I also took it apart and cleaned it. So all I can figure is the switch has started to go.

That seem right to you all? Could it somehow have a dust fleck in it? Not sure my options other than to buy a new mouse and keep this one as backup.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I've never used a mouse that way (extended holding down of a button), but yeah, that would fit the criteria of a failing switch.

That would be my first guess anyway, since all my research has shown that to be a significant problem in a large number of major mouse brands.

Google "failing mouse switch" for instance.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Taipan looks symmetrical to me.
It is. That's a typo in my original comment. I needed a symmetrical mouse because I'm left handed. Well, not "needed" but it's rare that I buy a left handed mouse.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Weight customization is not that silly. My Logitech G500 has weights, and it's not even top of the line. it does affect the "feel" of the mouse on the right surface.

Having thumb buttons (as a rightie) spoiled me. I can't stand the regular mice nowadays.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Somehow I just saw this thread and I'm at my wit's end with a Razor Deathadder that double clicks like crazy. This is a $60+ mouse and it's lasted a year. I have a $10 Microsoft laser mouse (I think it's 5+ years old) that is still working and this piece of crap gives up after a year? After reading what others have written here, I'll never buy a Razor product again.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Take the mouse apart and blow some air in the switch area. It may just be dust.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I take apart my case ~6 months and blow out the dust, and I've tried it with the mouse. After seeing this thread and searching online, I'm absolutely convinced it's a crap hardware issue.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

People said that about a lot of **** of any manufacturer. I've heard tons of stories about how Logitech stuff is crap (several of them here) but all of their stuff that I have are working fine.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Well, I don't think I've ever said that Logitech is crap, but they did a real nice job of chasing me away from their mice. Although their warranty support was stellar. They just kept sending me one free mouse after another, until they each started double-clicking after 6 months or so, and I eventually just gave up.

I'm still happily using other Logitech products however. For instance, these old Z4 speakers still kick ass! I've been more than pleased with them ever since I bought them many years ago. I mean, they rival my big living room stereo system. Well not really, but man, for $80 computer speakers, they really do kick ass!

And so I see naturally, they had to quit making them. :(
Logitech Z4.
They do offer a "newer model", the Z523, but it doesn't have the handy separate volume and bass control and mic input and headphone jack and power switch pod that the Z4 had. And I haven't tried them, so I can't say if they have the same astounding clarity at loud volumes that the Z4 had.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I slowly trudge forward in accessories. For the longest time I felt like crap speakers were all I needed because I didn't care about music in games, and then a set of good speakers turned my head around. I didn't care about keyboards, because they all type the same, and then a nice one changed my mind. I didn't care about mice, and now I'm searching for the right one.

My $20 "GE" wireless mouse has crapped out on me - skipping, lagging, only intermittently right-clicking - and got bad enough that I was hammering it on the desk sometimes in frustration and gripping it until the plastic creaked and groaned with stress. Right-clicking to slow time and aim at an Uruk's head? I think NOT, good sir! HaHA! A backup mouse solves the issue for now, but I miss having a 'better' mouse and figure it's time to get an actually nice mouse.

After reading through this thread, I'm pretty much sold on the Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex, and was looking for additional feedback from anyone who might have used it for a while. I do a wide range of games, not many shooters, but a few. I want a good all-around mouse that's light. I'm not set on wireless, but like the freedom of it. I'm pretty sure I'm a Fingertip guy, only palming when I get frustrated.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Paingod wrote:After reading through this thread, I'm pretty much sold on the Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex, and was looking for additional feedback from anyone who might have used it for a while. I do a wide range of games, not many shooters, but a few. I want a good all-around mouse that's light. I'm not set on wireless, but like the freedom of it. I'm pretty sure I'm a Fingertip guy, only palming when I get frustrated.
I've had the G303 for about 15 months now and I love it. My previous mouse was nice and had more thumb buttons but it was just too heavy, especially since I use the fingertip grip. The low weight of the G303 is just what I wanted, and I've been perfectly happy with the feel of the click, comfort, precision for fine movements, all that jazz.

It does have a cord though, but anything wireless is bound to be heavier. I think this cord is quite light and flexible (cloth braided) so it's about as unobtrusive as a mouse cord could be.

FWIW, if this mouse got stolen I'd go right out and buy the exact same model again.
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

BooTx wrote:I'm a palm gripper and I use an MX518 as well and I love it. It's still going strong after six years, so I'll probably go with another Logitech when it finally dies. There are so many choices in gaming mice these days it's ridiculous, though.
Well about a year after this post I happened upon a Razer Deathadder and a Logitech G602 on clearance for $20 apiece, so I took them home. I sold the G602 for $40 because I'm not terribly interested in a wireless mouse, but I kept the Deathadder.

I really like the grip, the accuracy, and the buttons, but the mouse wheel is just not very good. It squeaked a little at first and that's since tapered off, but it's still just not very accurate. It often finds itself right on the cusp of clicking one way or the other so even just resting my finger on it is enough to trigger it. It needs to be less spongy and more clicky.

But it's not a deal breaker, so I'll keep using it. My MX518 is actually still working perfectly, but the rubber material on the grip is starting to deteriorate.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I've got a Logitech G500 that developed the iffy LMB click thing, so I'm in the market too. I was looking at the Razer Deathadder, but the Logitech G602 is on sale for something like $37, so I strongly hinted that it would make a good Christmas present. I don't really need cordless, but it's nice to have, and I like all the thumb buttons.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The thumb buttons are great. I had it since the good old MX512 and when it started going glitchy I got the G500S which also had it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Amazon has the Logitech G502 Proteus Core . Its only $39.99 right now. Over half off.

I found that deal by watching Paul's Black Friday hardware deals video

Enlarge Image

Advanced optical gaming sensor (PMW3366): Logitech's most accurate and responsive optical sensor precisely translates hand movements onscreen
Tunable weight and balance: Repositionable 3.6G weights for superior fit and feel
RGB customizable lighting: Match your style and environment with up to 16.8 million colors
Easy-to-program Logitech Gaming Software: Customize lighting, surface tuning, button macros and more
Comfortable shape: Textured grips and convenient button layout for extended gaming sessions
Customizable controls: 11 programmable buttons and adjustable hyper-fast scroll wheel for fast, accurate maneuvers
On-the-fly DPI Switching: Make the right moves in any game situation with up to 5 DPI settings from 200 to 12,000 DPI (Some profile settings require Logitech Gaming Software available at logitech.com/downloads
Compatibility: Works with Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8 or Windows 7
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Daehawk wrote:Amazon has the Logitech G502 Proteus Core . Its only $39.99 right now.
Provided that it's a great mouse, that's a pretty good deal. But man, I just cannot stand the severe angular looks of it. Too radical of a design. Kind of reminds me of those hideous angular desktop cases that are now apparently so popular. A t least I've been seeing those cases touted on websites all over the place, so I'm assuming they're popular.

I much prefer a nice plain-looking and comfortable mouse with the features I need and nothing more. And the same goes for my desktop cases. A nice rectangle with maybe some subtle design cues and enhancements to make it look slightly interesting, but not overpowering.

Which makes me a total hypocrite, considering that my 6-year-old Dell finally gave up the ghost last night, and I replaced it with a rig I bought at Best Buy (it was an emergency and I couldn't wait! I was just getting into Dishonored 2 when it died) that really pushes the limits of what I'll tolerate in extreme design. It's not at all subtle, but it's not too bad, and it's growing on me. I'll probably post a thread about it as soon as my shame lessens.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

wonderpug wrote:
Paingod wrote:After reading through this thread, I'm pretty much sold on the Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex, and was looking for additional feedback from anyone who might have used it for a while. I do a wide range of games, not many shooters, but a few. I want a good all-around mouse that's light. I'm not set on wireless, but like the freedom of it. I'm pretty sure I'm a Fingertip guy, only palming when I get frustrated.
I've had the G303 for about 15 months now and I love it. My previous mouse was nice and had more thumb buttons but it was just too heavy, especially since I use the fingertip grip. The low weight of the G303 is just what I wanted, and I've been perfectly happy with the feel of the click, comfort, precision for fine movements, all that jazz.

It does have a cord though, but anything wireless is bound to be heavier. I think this cord is quite light and flexible (cloth braided) so it's about as unobtrusive as a mouse cord could be.
I received this for Christmas, and it's been great!

As for the other, I looked it over but agree with Giles - it's too angular for my tastes. I prefer a more rounded/organic feel instead of hard edges. Despite going back to a cable, I'm happy with what I have. Very happy. The cable is light and flexible and I don't even notice it. The mouse itself is light and responsive, and I like the DPI switch on top.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.