Far Cry: Primal

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Far Cry: Primal

Post by Daehawk »

Glad you wised me up on that sling. having a lot of fun with it. The no ammo part is the best. Ive gotten so good I can pick off people with headshots during a big fight while my lion mauls them.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Back to this again. Had a fun time last night. First I was standing up on a hill and down below me a giant moose was being chased by 4 wolves across the field. Out from this chase there were 2 deer laying in the grass resting when the moose went right through the middle of them like a freight train and knocked one of them way up into the air. Looked like an old 3 Stooges skit.

Then later I found that moose alone..no idea where the wolves went ...and tried to take him myself. 6 arrows later I backed up against something as I was shooting and moving backwards and the moose killed me. In one hit it takes all your health and I usually can run and heal around a tree...but this time it knocked ME way up into the air so when I hit the ground it killed me.

Not seen him since. Some say he is still out there knocking helpless animals up into the air.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My game seems broken. I met the new shaman and did his animal dream thing and the quest he gives is to tame the white wolf. This is a must do quest in the game. Well i go to the spot and start it which then leads to a camp of three guys I kill and find a wolf corpse which I examine which THEN leads me to red glowing paw prints to follow. trouble is as I follow them it warns me I am leaving mission area. Ive looked all over the area and cant find anything else to examine and when I did just follow the tracks it failed me.

So now I cant keep going. The tracks lead up up the path yet the game wont let me go there.

FIXED: had to create meat for bait before moving on. Good thing it didn't tell me that. So silly.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I loaded this up, again, recently. I really need to give it a try since I'm sure it will be fun.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I see it's on sale for $20 with this weekend's promotion. Do I get it now or wait until the Summer sale...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hahaha Urki! Funny ass caveman.

Ok time to hunt and tame Bloodfang. Should be a nice pet.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive encountered a slight glitch. I did the hunt for the hero sabertooth Bloodfang. I followed him to his lair but he never went inside so I tamed him outside his cave. He is my pet now and I've done some other quests but the active one that shows in the top left is still saying to hunt and tame Bloodfang in his lair.

Is there some way to clear that?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So the survival aspects of this Far Cry had me interested, but it has always been too expensive. Now it's on sale, but I'm kind of off the whole Survival aspects because of my short time with Conan Exiles.

What are peoples' opinions on this version of Far Cry? Full disclosure: I don't own, have not played, and know nothing about any Far Crys except for the advertising hype.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:49 pm So the survival aspects of this Far Cry had me interested, but it has always been too expensive. Now it's on sale, but I'm kind of off the whole Survival aspects because of my short time with Conan Exiles.

What are peoples' opinions on this version of Far Cry? Full disclosure: I don't own, have not played, and know nothing about any Far Crys except for the advertising hype.
Given your comparisons to Conan Exiles, I'd guess not. ;)

Far Cry isn't a survival series. It's an action series with crafting. The closest I can think of to a 'survival' game is at one point in Primal you can freeze to death until you get warm clothes. I think. It's been a while.

It borrows the Assassin's Creed idea of unlocking points of interest by activating beacons (radio towers, etc), and having an open world in which you can run around and craft upgrades while you work your way through the main quest. This isn't a Skyrim open world, either. It's more straightforward than that. There are points of interest, crafting, hunting and so on, but you won't find side quests all over or build your own house or anything.
They're great action games, though, and my suggestion would be to pick one with a setting that you find appealing and give it a shot (FC3 = jungle islands, FC: Blood Dragon = 80s action flicks, FC4 = Tibet, FC: Primal = prehistoric, FC5 = Montana.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Huh. I got the definite impression it was a survival version of Far Cry, except for buildings. You don't kill stuff, harvest materials, craft weapons and clothing from those materials?

I realize Far Cry is not a survival series. I thought Primal was a sort of diversion from the main theme of these games. Do you really feel that Primal fits into the game series as it has been tightly defined over the 5 games?

I like your complete lack of irony when listing Montana as a possible setting someone might like.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:05 pmYou don't kill stuff, harvest materials, craft weapons and clothing from those materials?
Yep. Kill three prehistoric wolves to upgrade your quiver, find one rock and one wood to craft arrows, that sort of thing. Far Cry 3/4/presumably 5? Kill three modern wolves to upgrade your ammo pouch (you have to buy the ammo, though - no .45 rounds from rocks and sticks.)
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:05 pmI thought Primal was a sort of diversion from the main theme of these games. Do you really feel that Primal fits into the game series as it has been tightly defined over the 5 games?
Only in theme. Smaller world, vehicles are animals, more melee attacks, and so forth. Minor tweaks, but otherwise it is the same game. It's more of the same. If you like what that thing is, then more can be good. Hell, Easter eggs even put it in the same timeline.
Spoiler:
Actually suggesting that it took place after Blood Dragon, but you can't take too much canon from Easter eggs.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:05 pm I like your complete lack of irony when listing Montana as a possible setting someone might like.
Hey, I visited Montana about a year ago and enjoyed it! Take the trolley tour in Butte, then have lunch in the vault of the Metals Sports Bar and Grill. Then spend the afternoon on a boat tour of the Gates of the Mountains.

You're welcome :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:19 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:05 pmYou don't kill stuff, harvest materials, craft weapons and clothing from those materials?
Yep. Kill three prehistoric wolves to upgrade your quiver, find one rock and one wood to craft arrows, that sort of thing. Far Cry 3/4/presumably 5? Kill three modern wolves to upgrade your ammo pouch (you have to buy the ammo, though - no .45 rounds from rocks and sticks.)
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:05 pmI thought Primal was a sort of diversion from the main theme of these games. Do you really feel that Primal fits into the game series as it has been tightly defined over the 5 games?
Only in theme. Smaller world, vehicles are animals, more melee attacks, and so forth. Minor tweaks, but otherwise it is the same game. It's more of the same. If you like what that thing is, then more can be good. Hell, Easter eggs even put it in the same timeline.
Spoiler:
Actually suggesting that it took place after Blood Dragon, but you can't take too much canon from Easter eggs.
Ok, thanks. I had no idea there was crafting in the Far Cry series.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:25 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:05 pm I like your complete lack of irony when listing Montana as a possible setting someone might like.
Hey, I visited Montana about a year ago and enjoyed it! Take the trolley tour in Butte, then have lunch in the vault of the Metals Sports Bar and Grill. Then spend the afternoon on a boat tour of the Gates of the Mountains.

You're welcome :D
But the cults man, the cults.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

FWIW, there is a survival difficulty mode that was added to Primal post-launch. Whether or not this qualifies it as a survival game is left as an exercise for the reader.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Neat. Reading through the patch notes, I'd say that turns it into a survival game, for sure. Whether it makes it more fun or not, I have no idea.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The game committed the unforgivable sin of having a boss fight with stages and there isn't any auto saving at certain points. I didn't realize that was a thing anymore. :grund:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:17 pm The game committed the unforgivable sin of having a boss fight with stages and there isn't any auto saving at certain points. I didn't realize that was a thing anymore. :grund:
Oh, good to know. I've been holding off getting it and now I'll pass.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The only one I remember having trouble with was the one that took place inside some sort of cave.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was a fun game. Loved it. never did finish it. Came close.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:23 pm Oh, good to know. I've been holding off getting it and now I'll pass.
I dropped it to easy mode and was more patient. Wasn't a problem the second time.
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:16 pmThe only one I remember having trouble with was the one that took place inside some sort of cave.
That's not the one I'm referring to, but that one is next (and it should be my game end). However, I'm thinking with it on Easy now it shouldn't be a problem.

The game is beautiful. And I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Even with that awful boss fight, I'd still recommend it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Huh. Didn't expect that - the game doesn't end when you defeat both of the main game bosses. It only ends when you beat them *and* finish all the quests associated with various characters in the game. That's...odd.

Regardless, I'll do that and put a pin in this one. There's no way I would have finished if not for lowering the difficulty, that's for sure. When I did that, it wasn't a problem at all. I don't think these types of games lend themselves to "boss fights" and I think it's an unfortunate choice they made to go that route. Dealing with waves of minions while dodging boss attacks can be fun, but I didn't enjoy it in this game, probably because of heavy tilt toward melee. Even with a cave bear or a sabre tooth tiger, it just wasn't fun.

Much more enjoyable was taking camps or bonfires. Forcing me to take on bosses head-on when I'd been a sneaky-pete the whole game is my complaint (I guess). And to be clear, I'm all leveled up - defense, ammo, weapon damage -- and I still needed to lower it to easy mode.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If you haven't yet, read up on the theory that Primal is the sequel to Far Cry: Blood Dragon. Assuming you've played BD, of course.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, that's interesting. I knew that some of the games were connected (loosely) based on the character overlap, but I didn't realize (1) the theory that connects them all and (2) that Blood Dragon could be a prequel to all of them.

I just watched a few Youtube videos and they certainly made the case. I did indeed play Blood Dragon and didn't remember the plot specifics, but it sure does seem like Primal is the world that could have been created from that story's events.

That's crazy!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who might still be interested in getting it but have been waiting for that sale, Green Man Gaming has the game on sale for 65%, $17.57 USD. Maybe time to pull the trigger?

Or get it on Steam for 60% off, $19.99 USD.
Jag

Post by Jag »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:02 pm For those who might still be interested in getting it but have been waiting for that sale, Green Man Gaming has the game on sale for 65%, $17.57 USD. Maybe time to pull the trigger?

Or get it on Steam for 60% off, $19.99 USD.
Was thinking about waiting on a lower FC5 price over Primal. Getting FC fatigue but heard that FC5 is really more of the same.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I reinstalled. It seems to have kept my place unlike Dragon Age did..or did not. I dont know how tough it will be getting back into it. Had to reassign KB keys. Not sure how that will mess me up getting back to it.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Picked it up on the Ubi sale with a bunch of other games. (you get another 20% off if you have 100 Ubi coins) Having fun with it so far!
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

On sale at the Epic store for $5. That was the price point I'd been waiting for. Fun game. I've played a few hours and already gotten my money's worth :D
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Gryndyl wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:28 am On sale at the Epic store for $5. That was the price point I'd been waiting for. Fun game. I've played a few hours and already gotten my money's worth :D
At 50 hours in I'm 66% complete. I really enjoy the world. Having said that, I don't think I will 100% the game and am starting to beeline towards story completion.

I highly recommend playing in Survivor mode. The base mode felt too easy. You mow everything down. I played about 3 hours on regular and then restarted in Survivor mode on hard. It really isn't that difficult but it adds stamina and make it more challenging. I'm glad I made the change.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have no desire to clean up the collectibles and rescue/hunt/etc. missions, so I'm calling this one done.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mines still sitting on the hard drive. Not touched it since my wife died. I had it installed and had played it before I lost her. My character is still there where he was. Ive totally forgot how to play Im sure. Im so close to completing it..or I was. I was taking a break from it when my life changed. Ive left it alone. But I want to finish it and remove it. Will try to do it this year I think. The only areas left are the super hard ones. And with me forgetting the controls or what I was doing it makes it hard to jump back in lol.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

For the battle against the priestess, I hit her with a few arrows, but most of the damage came from my owl. All three bomb types caused direct damage, and I was more than happy to reload and send him back out.

Once she came out to fight, I still hid and kept up the rain of bees and fire. And then finished her off with two spear throws.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:15 pm For the battle against the priestess, I hit her with a few arrows, but most of the damage came from my owl. All three bomb types caused direct damage, and I was more than happy to reload and send him back out.

Once she came out to fight, I still hid and kept up the rain of bees and fire. And then finished her off with two spear throws.
I have no idea what most of that means, but it's in my backlog to play. So I'm going to file this information away. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The owl and the black leopard are great friends.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:15 pm Once she came out to fight, I still hid and kept up the rain of bees and fire. And then finished her off with two spear throws.
An excellent out of context quote that has useful information no matter the occasion.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:43 am The owl and the black leopard are great friends.
One of my favorite things to do in the game was collect the rare animal companions. I think I only lack like one or two animals total. I remember this game getting a bad rap from the die hard FC folk. I mean I loved all the FC games and I didn't give this one any grief. I loved it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:43 am The owl and the black leopard are great friends.
The owl is absurdly powerful - you can take over most outposts using the owl without ever firing a shot or stepping foot inside using the owl (in the spoilers for those who don't want the how-to.) I actually had to stop using it - it was making the game boring.
Spoiler:
The owl can drop 'berserk bombs' that cause the enemy to fight each other. Start by hiding outside of the camp and using the owl to drop one on the sentries. Wait. Drop another where the enemies are now clustered. Wait. Now everyone's dead, and you never left your hidin' bush.