Can't log in

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Grifman

Can't log in

Post by Grifman »

Ok, I can access the site through my iPad but not in my PC using either Chrome or Firefox.

In Chrome I just get a blank page most of the time, but sometimes after refreshing I get sort of a text like page with the forums and descriptions listed.

In Firefox, I get the standard webpage, but it won't let me log in, I get a page that says "the connection was reset" if I try to log in. Anyone have an idea about what my problem is? Thanks.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Rip

Re: Can't log in

Post by Rip »

I would say potentially spyware, or more likely a cookie issue. I would suggest first try deleting OO cookies and seeing if that resolves it.

I just made a fresh batch.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Well, deleting cookies didn't work and had just run Malwarebytes earlier this week. And I don't have a problem with any other sites.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Grifman wrote: In Chrome I just get a blank page most of the time, but sometimes after refreshing I get sort of a text like page with the forums and descriptions listed.

In Firefox, I get the standard webpage, but it won't let me log in, I get a page that says "the connection was reset" if I try to log in. Anyone have an idea about what my problem is? Thanks.
I get those symptoms if I'm on an unreliable connection, like 3g on the train. Or a secured 3rd party one like in a hotel lobby.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ok, weird, it was Avast anti-virus software. I had just installed that yesterday, just uninstalled it and everything is working. Why would that be the problem?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Avast is a nautical term during the Age of Sail. During that time is when the increased encroachment of man into the watery demesnes of the overlords led to conflict. Thus, the overlords (blessed be their rubbery appendages) have rejected those who use Avast from their realms.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Grifman wrote:Ok, weird, it was Avast anti-virus software. I had just installed that yesterday, just uninstalled it and everything is working. Why would that be the problem?
If you have Avast! Webshield enabled, that may be doing it.

Or what ISG said.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT