General Computing Randomness

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

jztemple2

Re: General Computing Randomness

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:59 pm FWIW, the scam usually results in either A) downloading an anti-virus/repair tool that does, in fact, give the scammer full access to her PC, or B) confirming identity via credit card.
I think she's wary enough not to fall for B, but I suspect that because one time she did indeed end up going to tech support for her tax software that did a legitimate version of A, she might fall for a scam version of it. Which is why I had, repeatedly, told her to always talk to me first. But because she is old and proud and don't want to seem unable to deal with problems on her own I know she's end up doing something stupid some day and we'll spend months trying to repair the damage. But then maybe I'm just being paranoid.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You're starting to sound like dbt :D
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:37 pm If the warning can be cleared by closing a browser, it absolutely should be.
Yeah, I've gotten that scary message before and closing the browser is the end of it. However, you have to either know enough to CTL+ALT+DEL and End Task or call jzt.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Might be worth installing something like Noscript on her browser. Might be a bit of a hassle at first, but once you get it comfortably working and know what to enable and disable, it can be a good way to prevent scripts from running on a browser and blocks most malicious stuff. Running a PC without something like that these days can be like walking through a minefield.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:48 pm Might be worth installing something like Noscript on her browser. Might be a bit of a hassle at first, but once you get it comfortably working and know what to enable and disable, it can be a good way to prevent scripts from running on a browser and blocks most malicious stuff. Running a PC without something like that these days can be like walking through a minefield.
NoScript can be a challenge for casual users or those who don’t have the patience to devote some time towards getting it configured properly. Assuming she already uses uBlock Origin, NoScript would likely be superfluous anyway:

uBlock Origin can block JavaScript by default now
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:44 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:37 pm If the warning can be cleared by closing a browser, it absolutely should be.
Yeah, I've gotten that scary message before and closing the browser is the end of it. However, you have to either know enough to CTL+ALT+DEL and End Task or call jzt.
Yep. I've gotten it, and they use every trick in the book to make it hard to close. It isn't as bad as it used to be, as Microsoft has blocked some of the tricks they use, but it can still create click-through warnings that reappear the instant you close them, preventing you from clicking anything else in the browser - including closing it the old-fashioned way. CTRL-Shift-Delete still works, as does simply right clicking it in the taskbar. I assume alt-F4 does, too.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Is there some setting in Chrome I should enable to enhance security against this sort of thing? Right now everything is on the default settings.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They have your phone number now too.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:53 pm They have your phone number now too.
Everybody has our phone number it seems. Thankfully I'm thinking that everyone also assumes that people would use call blocking so we don't get repeat calls. The joke's on them since we use a landline that don't have call blocking.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:35 am
NoScript can be a challenge for casual users or those who don’t have the patience to devote some time towards getting it configured properly. Assuming she already uses uBlock Origin, NoScript would likely be superfluous anyway:

uBlock Origin can block JavaScript by default now
Yeah, admittedly it can be quite a hassle and be quite overwhelming when you first get into it. I tend to take the approach of trying things and seeing what works and what doesn't. Either way, the sentiment is the same. Don't think I could browse without something like it these days. I feel too vulnerable and slow without it.

Oh hey Dae, I was thinking of you when I saw this yesterday. Wanted to post it, but couldn't access the site.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/8/23017 ... sk-station
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I sorta got my voice recognition working...somehow. Not sure how.

I've always had problems getting windows voice recognition to work. Somehow the microphone NEVER have enough volume when I try to turn that on. Somehow this time, it worked. I did have to turn on the microphone with 30 db volume boost. But it worked. And this with the RealTek drivers and regular headset plugged in via the front-panel audio plugs. I even hauled out my old Superlux headphone with my modmic. Though I can be using my podcast mic also.

Oh well, it's not important, just another oddity caused by me moving my PC.

-----

A side effect of going to a 3-monitor setup (which will be fully-active tomorrow when my new monitor cable arrives) is my monitors are now wider than my desk, even with two of the monitors slightly "bent" for surround-ness. :) This does make arranging my desk and my room a bit more of a challenge. As I now have a corner that I'm not sure how to use, other than stick a lamp into that corner connect to a smart switch.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:23 pm

Oh hey Dae, I was thinking of you when I saw this yesterday. Wanted to post it, but couldn't access the site.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/8/23017 ... sk-station
Well thats some dedication for ya lol. Doesn't look the most comfortable but I suppose its better than a chair.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yikes. That's some determined Otaku furniture. This bed is not shareable with anyone... way too constricting. A guaranteed (censored) furniture. And I wouldn't dare use it because I may accidentally kick and send the monitors and the desk surface flying.

Speaking of which... My DisplayPort to DVI cable came in, and I'm now rocking triple monitor.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finding screensavers that works on multiple monitors is actually quite difficult. Here are a few that works for me:

https://www.plane9.com/ -- nice screensaver, but also a music visualizer

Folding @ Home Screen saver -- barely multi-screen, the animated stuff is just in the middle.

Matrix ScreenSaver by Kellysoftware.com -- it works if you manually configure the screen coordinates relative to your main screen. My main screen is in the middle, and all are 1920x1080, so so left-most is -1920, and rightmost is 5760 (3x1920)

Really Slick Screensavers Collection -- works as is without mods on multiple monitors, all of them, but Skyrocket and Hyperspace are the best.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My CPU kept hitting 80s and looking at CPU graph there's a 10-20% load constant. Turns out there's MAGIX's "update notifier" that kept buzzing the network, killed that. THEN Microsoft telemetry wanted 10% of my CPU to send some stats. Gave it to them, and finally the CPU quieted down to... 40's? Clearly, there's not enough cooling capacity inside case... I really need to put my fans in... Or my AIO isn't cooling much.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Had no less than TWO power outages the night before, and last night. Power went out about midnight and didn't come back until like 5AM. The outage was automatically detected by the utility and I didn't have to report it. Only affected like 300 accounts so it didn't register as a blip on the outage map, but it's also very annoying as I'm trying to start my Mass Effect playthrough. :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive woken up in the mornings to emails from my ISP about an outage while I slept. They send one stating its out then one stating its back up. If I was awake neither would do me any good as the NET IS OUT.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:04 pm Ive woken up in the mornings to emails from my ISP about an outage while I slept. They send one stating its out then one stating its back up. If I was awake neither would do me any good as the NET IS OUT.
Nowadays there's this thing called a cell phone, they presumably think one or two of their customers may have one.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My power was just out for 30 minutes. I called to report it finally and 1 min later it was back on..figures. Said something about wind and a limb a locked out substation. The outage map was showing my entire area including the local industrial zone which Im a part of . I figured they'd fix it quick since the industrial area was out as well. I got an alert telling me my cable was out too. Ya no power what does it matter lol.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Chraolic wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:33 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:04 pm Ive woken up in the mornings to emails from my ISP about an outage while I slept. They send one stating its out then one stating its back up. If I was awake neither would do me any good as the NET IS OUT.
Nowadays there's this thing called a cell phone, they presumably think one or two of their customers may have one.
Yeah, but they didn't call him, they emailed him.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Alefroth wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:15 pm Yeah, but they didn't call him, they emailed him.
I check emails on my cell phone all the time, 4G internet has been around for almost fifteen years by now. And considering how many people are working from home nowadays, it's probably pretty important that they send out information about how long any outages are expected to last.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think they sent my phone a text msg. I just use the phone as a phone. Im old school. Sometimes a camera since my real digital camera got old and finicky.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Chraolic wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:26 am
Alefroth wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:15 pm Yeah, but they didn't call him, they emailed him.
I check emails on my cell phone all the time, 4G internet has been around for almost fifteen years by now. And considering how many people are working from home nowadays, it's probably pretty important that they send out information about how long any outages are expected to last.
Thing is, a company that is into providing internet access shouldn't be assuming the people it provides service to will be able to access their email. In a case like that, it should rely more on texts. All too often, the case will that the person will see the emails only after the fact.

I've had my provider do the same thing as Daehawk, only that was in a time when cell phones weren't as widely used as they are today, with the only communication link being email.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The customer would specifically need to go into their account settings and opt in for "notify me via SMS for power outages" or something like that.
Who knows if they have an option to receive a phone call or not. Depends on your local power company I guess.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just had the weirdest thing happen.

So I was playing American Truck Simulator and I have the in-game radio on, playing internet music. I'm thinking it's a bit loud so I reach over to the right hand of the two Altec Lansing speakers I have on my desktop to turn down the volume knob. Only the music doesn't turns down :shock:. I twiddle the knob a bit then, completely confused, press the button to turn off the power to the speakers. The little red light goes off and... the music is still playing. I'm hearing music over speakers that aren't on. Probably doesn't help that it's past midnight and I'm a bit sleepy, but I'm still really confused...

After some contemplation it occurs to me that the music isn't coming from the two speakers, it's coming from the back of my monitor :roll:. Eighteen months ago I got a new monitor with one of those newfangled cables that connected to my video card. Never occurred to me that the monitor has speakers built into the back and that the audio signal is coming through that newfangled video cable without needing a separate mini-stereo cable plugged into the port on the motherboard and going to my speakers. Eighteen freaking months. Sheesh :?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Have you join AARP yet sir? I have. :)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:37 am Never occurred to me that the monitor has speakers built into the back and that the audio signal is coming through that newfangled video cable without needing a separate mini-stereo cable plugged into the port on the motherboard and going to my speakers. Eighteen freaking months. Sheesh :?
Actually noticed that a few months back, when I found an extra sound card in my listing... Acer X240... which was my monitor... Must conclude video card's HDMI output for sound to a monitor that outputs sound = sound card. Ended up disabling a bunch of stuff.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got a weird problem with Ccleaner. Not worried about it just annoying and thought Id post to see if others had it. Ccleaner updated itself last week and ever since when I exit something like a game it will pop up. No warnings just opens itself on my desktop and I have to close it. Just annoying as heck.

Oh and when i close it if I open my little hot tray at the bottom that has icons of whats running there will be 3 copies of Ccleaner and they will each one disappear one after the other.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Weird Kickstarter item: ceramic keycaps. KS Special price: 113 keyset for $129 with the catch that these last forever (ceramic can't be "worn" unlike plastic though PBT is a lot more wear-resistant than plain ABS). The keys weigh more (about 3.5 grams each) whereas a regular keycap weights 0.7 grams, so they included a 70 gram switch for the spacebar.
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Makes sense to me. They switched to ceramic bezels on dive watches for the same reason, resistance to scratching and fading makes them easier to read for a longer time, and they look very nice too. They are kind of a fingerprint magnet, however, so that might not be so ideal for a keyboard.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If they could do black with symbol cutouts they'd be more popular. Most people use exactly that on backlit keyboards.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:47 am If they could do black with symbol cutouts they'd be more popular. Most people use exactly that on backlit keyboards.
They do have black as one of the options, but not that many symbols. It *is* backlit compatible though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:56 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:47 am If they could do black with symbol cutouts they'd be more popular. Most people use exactly that on backlit keyboards.
They do have black as one of the options, but not that many symbols. It *is* backlit compatible though.
Backlight compatible (the caps glow) isn't the same as cutout (the caps are opaque, but the symbols glow.) My current keyboard is actually a hybrid - the bottoms of the caps are translucent white, but the tops are opaque with cutouts, similar to this:

Enlarge Image
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

They claim to have legible legends, not just blank caps, on cerakey.com
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

DJ Mixers seem to be REALLY cheap nowadays. I'm finding some as low as $20 that lets you setup a decent podcast / DJ / streaming setup.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:23 am Got a weird problem with Ccleaner. Not worried about it just annoying and thought Id post to see if others had it. Ccleaner updated itself last week and ever since when I exit something like a game it will pop up. No warnings just opens itself on my desktop and I have to close it. Just annoying as heck.

Oh and when i close it if I open my little hot tray at the bottom that has icons of whats running there will be 3 copies of Ccleaner and they will each one disappear one after the other.
CCleaner was sold a while back and apparently is now very questionable. I would avoid based on what I read, but most here are more informed about such things than me.

IMO it was great for many many years. I guess I should have somehow supported it more than I did so they didn't have to sell to the jackals.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, CCleaner is a no-go now. They started collecting data, bundling in third-party software, and once even distributed a virus. Some antivirus now regards CCleaner as malware.

FWIW, they were bought by Avast, the same company behind Avast Antivirus and AVG, and who just bought Norton. This is a company who has been caught using their antivirus to collect user data to sell to advertisers, including, according to reports, every website you visit (including in private mode.)

So, yeah - uninstall that crap.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is there a replacer for Ccleaner that works like it? ,.....other than the simple microsoft uninstall. I'd like the registry cleaner and broken file cleaner ability.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

For registry and file cleaner, I've been using WinTools...I don't even know how long, probably since the days of Windows 2000. It's always worked great. Honestly, I have no idea what their privacy practices are these days, I haven't looked.

For uninstalls, I've used Revo Uninstaller for software that wouldn't uninstall cleanly. Like, where it gets corrupted, and you can't properly reinstall or update it without nuking it from orbit first. That's where Revo shines - it will do an uninstall about as full/clean as you can get.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks.

Revo looks like it pay to use other than a free 30 days. Wintools looks good though.

EDIT: Spoke too soon..Wintools is also 21 days free.