The Confederate Flag Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: The Confederate Flag Thread

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:28 pm https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... bases.html
As states continue to grapple with the passionate debate over whether to display statues and other tributes to Confederate leaders, Marines have been told the materials won't be tolerated on any of the Corps' installations.

Commandant Gen. David Berger last week instructed top Marine leaders to remove Confederate-related paraphernalia from the service's bases worldwide. The directive is one of several forward-leaning initiatives Berger said he is "prioritizing for immediate execution."

:clap:

It's weird the things I get happy over when I generally try to be mindful and respectful. This is just one of me irrational bugaboos. A symbol of treasonous pride I can't get past. I never saw it when I was kid watching The Dukes of Hazard but then guess I never saw local skin heads with battleflag patches or angry white pickup drivers addicted to guns and beer with whatever it is they have to prove when I was a kid either. (Come to think of it, drunks with guns and something intangible to prove is primarily why I never took on becoming a next generation of hunter after my parents and their parents before them)

Do what you want on your stuff. But thank you Commandant Gen. David Berger for taking it out of the Marines.
I wonder what this means for Virginia Military Institute, which produces a lot of marine officers. Their campus features the museum and archive of their most famous faculty member, Stonewall Jackson.

Obviously a museum is a museum, but it's also a pilgrimage site for Confedaphiles, and I'm sure the gift shop is full of Jackson bullshit.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Between cancelling the Gathering of Juggalos over COVID-19 concerns and now this move regarding the Confederate Flag, I'm officially announcing I will no longer use ICP as a punching bag.
With all the controversy surrounding confederate flags lately (we learned that Nascar banned them), and with the hoopla about the petition to get the Robert E. Lee statue in Richmond, VA replaced with a GWAR Oderus Urungus statue reaching 50,000 signatures – it now looks like Insane Clown Posse were getting some requests to bring back an old shirt of theres.

ICP have announced they will be reprinting their "Fuck Your Rebel Flag" shirts based on the song of the same name off 1992's Carnival of Carnage. "You kept asking so we brought it back!," ICP say on social media.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I can't believe we live in a world where I respect Insane Clown Posse.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Juggalos vs. the Boogaloos.

What a country!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
raydude

Post by raydude »

Holman wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:58 am
LordMortis wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:28 pm https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... bases.html
As states continue to grapple with the passionate debate over whether to display statues and other tributes to Confederate leaders, Marines have been told the materials won't be tolerated on any of the Corps' installations.

Commandant Gen. David Berger last week instructed top Marine leaders to remove Confederate-related paraphernalia from the service's bases worldwide. The directive is one of several forward-leaning initiatives Berger said he is "prioritizing for immediate execution."

:clap:

It's weird the things I get happy over when I generally try to be mindful and respectful. This is just one of me irrational bugaboos. A symbol of treasonous pride I can't get past. I never saw it when I was kid watching The Dukes of Hazard but then guess I never saw local skin heads with battleflag patches or angry white pickup drivers addicted to guns and beer with whatever it is they have to prove when I was a kid either. (Come to think of it, drunks with guns and something intangible to prove is primarily why I never took on becoming a next generation of hunter after my parents and their parents before them)

Do what you want on your stuff. But thank you Commandant Gen. David Berger for taking it out of the Marines.
I wonder what this means for Virginia Military Institute, which produces a lot of marine officers. Their campus features the museum and archive of their most famous faculty member, Stonewall Jackson.

Obviously a museum is a museum, but it's also a pilgrimage site for Confedaphiles, and I'm sure the gift shop is full of Jackson bullshit.
This is just anecdotal, but a colleague from work who graduated from VMI said that whenever the Confedero-philes would come by dressed in their cosplay he and his fellow students made constant fun of them.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Wow! I expected more GOP resistance here (although I believe every No vote was a Republican).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The bill will now go to Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves, a Republican, who has said he would sign it into law.

The legislation -- which cleared the state House in a 91-23 vote and the state Senate with a 37-14 vote -- comes as Mississippi lawmakers have been weighing a change to their flag for weeks amid ongoing racial justice protests across the country. The flag, first adopted in 1894, has red, white and blue stripes with the Confederate battle emblem in the corner.

The bill establishes a commission to develop a new flag design without the Confederate emblem that includes the phrase "In God, We Trust." Mississippi state voters would then vote on the new design this November.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, at least it was fire to frying pan this time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:doh:
Holman

Post by Holman »

MAGA: "Dems started the Klan and Lincoln was a Republican."

Dems: "Yeah, that happened. So we should tear down Confederate statues and dump their racist flag."

MAGA: "But mah heritage!!!"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Secretary of Defense Mark Esper issued a new Defense Department policy Friday that will act as a defacto ban on the display of the Confederate flag.

The new guidance governs the display and depiction of flags on military installations, and while the policy does not specifically mention the Confederate battle flag, it is not listed among the flags permitted to be displayed.
"I am committed to fielding the most powerful military force the world has known by strengthening the bonds of our most valuable resource -- our people. That is why we honor the American flag, which is the principal flag we are authorized and encouraged to display," Esper wrote in the memo, a copy of which has been obtained by CNN.

"The flags we fly must accord with the military imperatives of good order and discipline, treating all our people with dignity and respect, and rejecting divisive symbols," Esper added.
The new guidance applies to public displays or depictions of flags by service members and civilian employees in all Department of Defense workplaces, common access areas, and public areas.

Non-sanctioned flags, such as the confederate battle flag, are not prohibited from being displayed in "museum exhibits, state-issued license plates, grave sites, memorial markers, monuments, educational displays, historical displays, or works of art, where the nature of the display or depiction cannot reasonably be viewed as endorsement of the flag by the Department of Defense," according to a memo on the new policy.

A defense official familiar with the decision told CNN that the decision to not name a specific prohibited flag "was to ensure the department-wide policy would be apolitical and withstand potential free speech political challenges, but that the services are still free to act on other flags."

The official said that the "White House is aware of new policy."
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Would be kind of funny if Mississippi floated this idea for their new flag. :mrgreen:
Enlarge Image
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

em2nought wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:43 pm Would be kind of funny if Mississippi floated this idea for their new flag. :mrgreen:
Enlarge Image
One star for each state Trump will win in the election?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Imagine being more racist than the Mississippi state legislature.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:56 pm
em2nought wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:43 pm Would be kind of funny if Mississippi floated this idea for their new flag. :mrgreen:
Enlarge Image
One star for each state Trump will win in the election?
That's the actual Confederate States Flag, aka stars and bars. The one with the actual "history" that people are supposedly trying to protect.

The one everyone calls the Confederate Flag is a battle flag for the army of North Virginia used during the civil war.

It might be a "clever trick" to try to get it past the Libs but I'm sure most fans of the ANV battle flag wouldn't know what it is either.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

I was watching a episode of Counting Cars on Discovery last week. They were showing the Trans Am of Smoky and the Bandit that Burt Renaldas sold that he had from the movie. I noticed that it had the Confederate flag on the front license plate. I then checked a old trailer for the movie that showed the same license plate coming out of back of the 18 wheeler trunk. I also did a search that found that Amazon is selling the same license plates.

what should we do?

If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That was the Georgia state flag when the show was made.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:49 pm That was the Georgia state flag when the show was made.
Then every thing should be grand fathered in?
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

UsulofDoom wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:01 am
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:49 pm That was the Georgia state flag when the show was made.
Then every thing should be grand fathered in?
Are you referring to Amazon's ban? If so, it's a trickier question than I feel like tackling after midnight, but I'm guessing whatever filter they put in didn't include Georgia state flags, and that the issues with banning a state flag may be thornier than banning the flag of a nation that hasn't existed in over a century.
stessier

Post by stessier »

UsulofDoom wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:35 pm I was watching a episode of Counting Cars on Discovery last week. They were showing the Trans Am of Smoky and the Bandit that Burt Renaldas sold that he had from the movie. I noticed that it had the Confederate flag on the front license plate. I then checked a old trailer for the movie that showed the same license plate coming out of back of the 18 wheeler trunk. I also did a search that found that Amazon is selling the same license plates.

what should we do?

What should ar do about what?

The item on sale? Not buy it.
The show? Watch it if you want while understanding the racist elements that were presented without a second thought.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wonder how many "protestors" would have gotten crushed under that if they brought it down..
Protesters tied ropes around the towering statue and tried to tear it down before being dispersed by police, who used pepper spray on the crowd, estimated to be about 1,000 people.

Police said 12 people were arrested and could face charges. They also reported 18 officers were injured, with some being treated on the scene and others taken to area hospitals.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:13 pm Will Mr. Trump be bothered to mention her name?

Heather Heyer
Heather Heyer was killed Saturday as she pushed back against hatred...
3 years ago today.

Still an absolute tragedy and not even close to how low the nation would be going.

Local news story about where the community is today.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I worry about what will happen when a group of people discover they have absolutely no respect for the police authority hosing them down randomly with pepper spray ... and decide to fight back against being assaulted as a mob.

These cops who walk in and start spraying EVERYONE they see really piss me off. I had to be hit with OC before I could use it at the jail so I could understand how badly it sucked and be able to still function if an inmate got my can away from me and used it on me. Closing my eyes was not an option and the instructor decided to hit me twice with it because the first time I flinched too quickly for his liking. Seeing this complete lack of regard for the harm they're inflicting is disgusting.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If it went that far, people would adapt. They'd develop tools and tactics. We saw it already - improvised decontamination stations, even phalanx formations with shield walls.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If it gets bad enough, some people are even going to remember why the Second Amendment exists.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:18 pm If it gets bad enough, some people are even going to remember why the Second Amendment exists.
Slave patrols?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:40 pm
Max Peck wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:18 pm If it gets bad enough, some people are even going to remember why the Second Amendment exists.
Slave patrols?
You're thinking of the police.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:51 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:40 pm
Slave patrols?
You're thinking of the police.
Same thing. But the "well-regulated militias" of the 2nd Am were Southern slave patrols.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:54 pm
Chaz wrote:I found out last night that main Nazi featured in the Vice doc, Christopher Cantwell, lives less than an hour from me, in Keene, NH. So that's exciting. Yet another reason to want to get out of here.
Alternatively, perhaps you can notify the police if you see him out and about.
Neo-Nazi Christopher Cantwell — who was one of the “Unite the Right” Charlottesville marchers interviewed by Vice.com — released a weepy, rambling video of himself discussing the fact that a warrant was issued for his arrest.

“I called the Charlottesville Police Department,” Cantwell said, “and said, ‘I have been told there’s a warrant out for my arrest. They said they wouldn’t confirm it but that I could find this out I could go to a magistrate or whatever.”
NBC News
Christopher Cantwell, known for his involvement in the violent "Unite the Right" 2017 rally in Virginia, was found guilty Monday in a case related to a rape threat and extortion using the online messaging app Telegram.

Cantwell, 39, was convicted of one count of transmitting extortionate communications and one count of threatening to injure property or reputation, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Hampshire. The jury found him not guilty of a cyberstalking count.

Prosecutors said Cantwell sent a series of threatening messages because he believed members of an online group called the “Bowl Patrol” had been harassing him online. Cantwell sought the leader of the group, someone who went by the name “Vic Mackey,” and harassed an unidentified individual for the information.

Cantwell threatened to “dox” the individual, a practice of posting someone’s personal contact information online, and report the person to child protective services in a number of messages between June 15, 2019, and June 17, 2019, the U.S. attorney's office said.
Prosecutors said they presented evidence during trial that Cantwell followed through on his threats to dox the individual and made a report to child protection authorities in Missouri.
Cantwell, who has been in custody since his arrest in January, is scheduled to be sentenced next year.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Mississippi's new Magnolia state flag, dumping the treason rag.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ABC News
The Virginia Military Institute removed a prominent statue of Confederate Gen. Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson on Monday, a project initiated this fall after allegations of systemic racism roiled the public college.

Around 9:45 a.m., a crane plucked the larger-than-life statue that freshmen were once required to salute off its base and slowly hoisted it to the ground. A small crowd gathered on the mostly empty campus in Lexington where Jackson taught, quietly looking on amid flurries of snow.

The statue was the latest in a long list of Confederate tributes to be removed across the U.S. in the aftermath of the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis and the racial justice movement that followed. The college, which had resisted calls to remove the Jackson statue over the summer, changed course in October after The Washington Post published a story that described an “atmosphere of hostility and cultural insensitivity” at VMI, the oldest state-supported military college in the U.S.
The Post’s story, which detailed incidents such as lynching threats and a white professor reminiscing in class about her father’s Ku Klux Klan membership, led to the ouster of former superintendent retired Army Gen. J.H. Binford Peay III and prompted state officials to commit to hiring an outside firm to investigate the students’ allegations.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jennifer Taub Retweeted
Ralph Northam
@GovernorVA

Last night, Virginia removed its statue of Robert E. Lee from the U.S. Capitol.

This is an important step forward—it is past time we tell our story with images of perseverance, diversity, and inclusion.
I'm surprised it lasted this long.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:12 pm
Jennifer Taub Retweeted
Ralph Northam
@GovernorVA

Last night, Virginia removed its statue of Robert E. Lee from the U.S. Capitol.

This is an important step forward—it is past time we tell our story with images of perseverance, diversity, and inclusion.
I'm surprised it lasted this long.
Wonder who got to take it home and put it on their plantation estate.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alabama
Fort Rucker will be renamed after an Alabama man who earned the Medal of Honor and served in World War II, Korea and Vietnam, ABC News is reporting.

Rucker, named for Col. Edmund Rucker, a brigade commander in the Confederate Army during the Civil War, will be renamed for Michael Novosel Sr. Novosel, who lived in Enterprise, was a military aviator for more than 40 years and received the highest military honor for his service in Vietnam. He died in 2006.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Defense One
The recommended new base names are:
  • Fort Benning, Ga., to become Fort Moore after Hal Moore, a retired lieutenant general, and Julia Moore. Hal received the Distinguished Service Cross for actions during the Vietnam War; and his wife Julia changed how the military notifies family members of casualties to deliver the news in a more compassionate way.
  • Fort Bragg, N.C., to become Fort Liberty after the founding principles of the nation, and the 82nd Airborne Division’s song that goes “We’re all-American [and] proud to be, for we are the soldiers of liberty.”
  • Fort Gordon, Ga., to become Fort Eisenhower after President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who served as supreme commander of the allied expeditionary force in Europe during World War II before becoming president.
  • Fort A.P. Hill, Va., to become Fort Walker after Dr. Mary Walker, who volunteered as a civilian to be a doctor for troops during the Civil War because she was not allowed to join the military as a woman.
  • Fort Hood, Texas, to become Fort Cavazos after Richard Cavazos, a Texan who received the Distinguished Service Cross during the Korean War.
  • Fort Lee, Va., to become Fort Gregg-Adams after two Army logisticians. Arthur Gregg enlisted to work on supply logistics in Germany during World War II, applied to officer candidate school when the military was desegregated, and retired as a lieutenant general. Lt. Col. Charity Adams joined the military after the attack on Pearl Harbor and led a postal battalion in Europe during the war.
  • Fort Pickett, Va., to become Fort Barfoot after 2nd Lt. Van T. Barfoot, who received the Medal of Honor for actions during World War II.
  • Fort Polk, La., to become Fort Johnson for Sgt. William Henry Johnson, who received the Medal of Honor for fighting Germans first with grenades, then with bullets, then with the butt of his rifle before resorting to a knife during World War I.
  • Fort Rucker, Ala., to become Fort Novosel for Chief Warrant Officer 4 Michael Novosel Sr., who earned the Medal of Honor during Vietnam for flying an aircraft through enemy fire to save 29 men.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ugh on "Fort Liberty." Sounds like a MAGA-compound.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

With the 82nd, I can see the choice, but yeah, on its own, not a great sound during these fine days.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I suspect it'll be a decade before anyone starts calling Fort Hood "Fort Cavazos." But that's ok - it'll be around for a long while.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."