Metro LL or Metro 2033

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Cortilian

Metro LL or Metro 2033

Post by Cortilian »

Does is matter which order I play these in? Do they have anything to do with one another? Do I bring a character from one to the other, etc?
TheMix

Re: Metro LL or Metro 2033

Post by TheMix »

Nope. The setting overlaps, of course.

Also no reason not to play them in order. That I can think of.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

It’s a linear storyline. Last Light takes place a year after the events of the first game.

Last Light is the better game, however, and it does do a pretty good job of filling you in on events from the first game, so playing both is not required. If you do play the original, make sure you get the Redux version, which makes it much more playable and fixes some bugs.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you plan to play them both then play them in order. the second one references the first one through out. The info is not needed to play the second one but you would know what is being spoken of and the flashbacks makes sense.

Also I own both the original games but I bought the Redux bundle today on Steam for just $10 total. Better graphics rule :) Although the original graphics were great when I played them.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Ugh. You guys are killing me. :D I'm really trying to resist the Redux versions. At least for right now. Since I likely won't do a replay for months if not years.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Redux brings a lot of the improvements from LL into 2033, along with a host of improvements to both games.

Original 2033 turned away a lot of my friends due to its weird jank. Stuff like inconsistent framerate combined with inconsistent control responsiveness, weird FoV, along with stilted movement were core game aspects that were problematic.

The redux versions improve a helluva lot of that from what I've heard and seen. The graphics were better, but these games were mostly rendering post apocalyptic wastes or dingy tunnels, there's not too much room for improvement.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Im really liking it so far. Good story
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

I've only played Last Light Redux and I loved it. It doesn't have the replay value of a STALKER, but the immersion and gun play is every bit as good. I'm really hoping GOG gets 2033 so I can play that one as well.

I have an i5 4440 / Radeon 6970 system and maxed out 1080p the game runs in the 30-40 fps range, but dropping it down to the next lowest setting gives me 60+ and looks 95% as good.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Grabbed these today, Redux versions. I already had the original 2033 in my backlog. :P
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Grabbed these today, Redux versions. I already had the original 2033 in my backlog. :P
I had both, both never installed :( . Maybe I'll get to the Redux ones by 2033
stessier

Post by stessier »

I had Metro 2033 in my Steam backlog and decided to fire it up. Has anyone beaten this? It really seems like more of a movie than a game - there is very, very little to do. The atmosphere is good but in terms of game play it's pretty boring. I'm almost done with chapter 4 - is there very much left?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Played both of them at least twice each. Just did a replay of both recently. For 2033, on Ranger difficulty. Not sure why I thought that was a good idea.

I never felt like they were boring. Things slow down a bit when you are in the "towns". But there is still plenty to do. While traveling, there always seemed to be plenty of action.

Especially the stuff with the Reds. Crossing the battle lines is always pretty exciting and tense. And the above ground stuff - especially the Library.

So looking at a walkthrough, Chapter 4 starts with Frontline. If you found that boring, then I really doubt you'll think much of the rest of it. The Library is in the next chapter, but I can't predict what you'll think of it. There are only 7 Chapters (and the last one is much shorter).

Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

Maybe it's just not for me. I love Borderlands - this might just be too linear for me. Or maybe I don't know what I'm doing. I like how they integrate the normal HUD type items into the natural game play, but it's also really hard for me to tell when I'm hitting something or which weapon is the best to use for a given situation. I just finished a cart ride through the Nazi lines and my complaint was there is no skill involved and no choices to make. I'm still going to try and finish - maybe my opinion will change.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Huh. What difficulty level are you playing? I probably died more times in Frontline than any other section. Of course, I usually like to try and do stealth kills... which invariably becomes impossible. There are simply too many guys running around that level. I also generally drop down to the bottom; trying to cross the main bridge is generally suicide.

The game offers a lot of different choices in weapons. Which ones you use are really dependent on how you are playing the game. Taking the silenced/scoped pistol is great for stealth. As is the pneumatic rifle (though ammo is generally much harder to find). Semi-auto rifle or shotgun are best if you are planning a frontal assault. The auto shotgun is great for the mutants (though you can burn through the ammo).

I don't recall ever having much trouble telling if I was hitting. But again, that will depend on the weapon and play style. When using the pneumatic rifle, a fully/over pumped shot is pretty much a guaranteed kill. Especially if it's a head shot. So... if the guy doesn't drop, then I missed. :D Same thing for the crossbow (which I don't use as much - I do find it hard to hit with that for some reason). When I use the pistol, it's always head shots. So, again, it's pretty obvious when I miss. If you are using an un-scoped assault rifle for longer shots, then, yeah, I can see how it would be tough to have any idea where the bullets are going.

Also, isn't there a crosshair for your aiming? Did you turn that off? That would definitely make it harder. Playing in Ranger difficulty removes most of the HUD, and I think the crosshair. It was definitely much harder.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its a story game with fighting elements to me. Playing them both twice. Not tried the graphical redo versions.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Metro: Last Light [complete edition] currently free on Steam

note this is NOT the Redux edition, but the original! which i had never acquired. there are some differences between this and the Redux version, and some people do prefer this one.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Says I have it.