SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

The Meal

Re: SPACE - random thread about space stuff

Post by The Meal »

Do we feel more confident or less confident for future missions if it just works or if something for improvement is discovered. I mean, it depends on what gets found, but just working in early stages scares the crap out of me.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
raydude

Post by raydude »

The Meal wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:15 am Do we feel more confident or less confident for future missions if it just works or if something for improvement is discovered. I mean, it depends on what gets found, but just working in early stages scares the crap out of me.
I like to think that with today's technology, we're able to put many more sensors in more places on a rocket - especially in areas that could cause catastrophic failure. So even if we as the outside observer see something that just works, the actual engineers going over the sensor data will find stuff that could lead to catastrophic failure (and therefore fix it) or see something that requires additional monitoring and therefore additional sensors or testing.

In this sense, I think failure happens more times than we see. We just don't see it because it's not catastrophic failure.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

raydude wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:37 am In this sense, I think failure happens more times than we see. We just don't see it because it's not catastrophic failure.
Very true. Unlike most other vehicles, you don't recover much of new rockets. And even if you do recover the parts, you need to know what happened during the flight, not just what you can see afterwards. On the Space Shuttle Columbia there was a lot of DFI, Developmental Flight Instrumentation, that wasn't on the other ships, so for the first flights it was possible to see a lot of what happened to all the bits and pieces.

After the loss of Columbia, the DFI recorder was recovered mostly intact which allowed a very detailed look at that failure.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Uh-oh: Boeing delays 1st Starliner astronaut mission again, targets July 21 liftoff
The first crewed flight of Boeing's Starliner astronaut taxi has been pushed back several additional months, with liftoff now targeted for July 21 at the earliest.

Last month, Boeing and NASA said that Starliner's astronaut debut, a mission to the International Space Station (ISS) called Crew Flight Test (CFT), was on track to launch in April.

That timeline was pushed back a bit last week, when NASA officials said that CFT will lift off after Ax-2, a private flight to the orbiting lab operated by Houston company Axiom Space that's tentatively targeted for early May.

But a spring liftoff for CFT is now off the table, agency officials announced today (March 29).

"We've deliberated and decided that the best launch attempt is no earlier than July 21 for CFT," Steve Stich, manager of NASA's Commercial Crew Program, said during a press conference today.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

No mention of the Artemis moon roadtrip crew announcement yesterday?

In other news, Starship orbital test is approaching...

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:57 am No mention of the Artemis moon roadtrip crew announcement yesterday?
To me astronauts were the folks we reluctantly let fly our Space Shuttles and hoped they didn't break anything :wink:

And that next mission seems pretty far off, compared with what is going on here at the Cape and in Boca Chica.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:09 am To me astronauts were the folks we reluctantly let fly our Space Shuttles and hoped they didn't break anything :wink:
Should have made them automated, then. :P
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We'll just have ChatGPT fly the things from now on.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This is what would happen if scientists found an asteroid heading to Earth
Scientists have explained what would happen if an asteroid was on a collision course with Earth to emphasize the need for planetary defense. The hypothetical asteroid scenario illustrates how an asteroid threat might evolve over several years and the potential devastation such a strike could cause.

The team led by the manager of NASA's Near Earth Object (NEO) Program Office Paul Chodas presented the exercise at the 8th Planetary Defence Conference in Vienna, Austria on Monday, April 4.

The hypothetical situation laid out by Chodas begins on January 10, 2023, with the discovery of a new asteroid that receives the name 2023 PDC. The object is initially designated a "potentially hazardous asteroid" (PHA), which NASA defines as any asteroid that intersects Earth's orbit at a distance from the planet of around 4.6 million miles (7.4 million kilometers) or less and that has a magnitude of 22.0 when discovered, which is only a little brighter than the faintest stars visible to the Hubble Space Telescope.
I think this, however, is the more likely situation:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Starship into final preps for launch targeting second half of April

Enlarge Image
Ship 24 and Booster 7 – now returned to a full-stack stance – are waiting to attempt their historic test flight. While a launch date remains fluid, hopes remain high that the vehicle could rise out of Starbase in the second half of April.

Numerous prelaunch objectives have already been achieved before the approval of a launch license from the FAA, with final processing flow items lined up ahead of the launch attempt.
Holman

Post by Holman »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:16 pm I think this, however, is the more likely situation:
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Don't Look Up scenario is certainly how Americans would respond (or fail to respond). The rational responsible faction would be just one among several. You'd have your science deniers and your anti-nukers, and the usual grifters taking advantage of everyone else and throwing shade. International cooperation amongst the spacefaring nations would be unlikely, since in the near future only the US and China will have the capability to respond -- Russia's space program barely extends beyond servicing the ISS, and JAXA and the ESA only play supporting roles. Americans would wait to know precisely where the impact will occur, because if it's over China or Russia...well, that would be a shame, but who are we to interfere with God's will? :wink:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Zoom in on Mars like never before with this epic 3D map of the Red Planet
If you're the kind of person who can spend hours upon hours clicking around Google Earth, there's a new toy for you. NASA has just released the most detailed 3D map of Mars ever made.

Created by the Bruce Murray Laboratory for Planetary Visualization at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, the interactive Global CTX Mosaic of Mars map is a mosaic created from images taken by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter — more specifically, its black-and-white Context Camera.

The team developed the map over a period of six years, stitching together some 110,000 Mars images. Most of the images were organized using a computer algorithm, but 13,000 were added to the map manually by researchers.
Direct link to the viewer
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Get ready for a rare hybrid solar eclipse on April 20
On April 20, parts of the Pacific and Indian Ocean regions will experience a rare type of event called a hybrid solar eclipse.

Hybrid solar eclipses shift from total to annular as the moon's shadow races over Earth; in some places, the moon completely blots out the sun, whereas in others a ring of light is visible around the edge of our natural satellite. These eclipses are quite rare, occurring just a few times every century — and one will grace our planet's skies less than two weeks from now.

While not observable from the U.S., the hybrid eclipse will be visible from western Australia, East Timor, and eastern Indonesia beginning at 21:36 EDT on April 19 (0136 GMT on April 20) and ending at 2:59 a.m. EDT (0659 GMT) on the following day, according to In the Sky. (It will be April 20 in those regions where the eclipse is visible.)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

SpaceX's Starship looks amazing stacked for launch in these photos
SpaceX has shared some amazing photos of its giant Starship vehicle stacked for launch at the company's Starbase facility in South Texas.

The coming liftoff is a big one — the first-ever orbital test flight of a Starship vehicle.

"Starship fully stacked at Starbase. The team is working towards a launch rehearsal next week followed by Starship's first integrated flight test ~week later pending regulatory approval," SpaceX said via Twitter on Thursday (opens in new tab) (April 6), where it shared three images of the huge stainless-steel rocket.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm in the path, and already have my eclipse glasses.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:15 pm I'm in the path, and already have my eclipse glasses.
If the path of totality did not cross your home, I would question the simulation.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Apparently this came out three years ago and I don't know if it was posted, so I'll post it now

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who aren't able to make the journey, here's a look at the SpaceX Boca Chica facility as seen in American Truck Simulator.

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Very nice! :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Showing off the Falcon Heavy a week ahead of its planned launch on April 18th

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Something from SpaceX, their Starship Flight Test pre-launch timeline, flight profile and timeline.
The first integrated flight test of Starship is trending towards the third week of April, pending regulatory approval.

This will be the first flight test of a fully integrated Starship and Super Heavy rocket, a fully reusable transportation system designed to carry both crew and cargo to Earth orbit, help humanity return to the Moon, and travel to Mars and beyond. With a test such as this, success is measured by how much we can learn, which will inform and improve the probability of success in the future as SpaceX rapidly advances development of Starship.

To date, the SpaceX team has completed multiple sub-orbital flight tests of Starship’s upper stage from Starbase, successfully demonstrating an unprecedented approach to controlled flight. These flight tests helped validate the vehicle’s design, proving Starship can fly through the subsonic phase of entry before re-lighting its engines and flipping itself to a vertical configuration for landing.

In addition to the testing of Starship’s upper stage, the team has conducted numerous tests of the Super Heavy rocket, which include the increasingly complex static fires that led to a full-duration 31 Raptor engine test – the largest number of simultaneous rocket engine ignitions in history. The team has also constructed the world’s tallest rocket launch and catch tower. At 146 meters, or nearly 500 feet tall, the launch and catch tower is designed to support vehicle integration, launch, and catch of the Super Heavy rocket booster. For the first flight test, the team will not attempt a vertical landing of Starship or a catch of the Super Heavy booster.

A live webcast of the flight test will begin ~45 minutes before liftoff. As is the case with all developmental testing, this schedule is dynamic and likely to change, so be sure to stay tuned to our social media channels for updates.

As we venture into new territory, we continue to appreciate all of the support and encouragement we have received from those who share our vision of a future where humanity is out exploring among the stars!
Note that at T-0,
00:00:00 Excitement Guaranteed
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And if things go well, SpaceX will eventually...

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

:pop:
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

So if they're not trying for a vertical Starship landing or booster capture, what is the end game for this launch? Or is it not trying for a JOINED landing? They just gonna crash 'em into the ocean?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hyena wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:58 am So if they're not trying for a vertical Starship landing or booster capture, what is the end game for this launch? Or is it not trying for a JOINED landing? They just gonna crash 'em into the ocean?
See the diagram above, but yes both parts will be doing a water landing. I don't know if they will try for a controlled descent but I would think that likely.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:02 pm
Hyena wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:58 am So if they're not trying for a vertical Starship landing or booster capture, what is the end game for this launch? Or is it not trying for a JOINED landing? They just gonna crash 'em into the ocean?
See the diagram above, but yes both parts will be doing a water landing. I don't know if they will try for a controlled descent but I would think that likely.
That's the scuttlebutt I've heard. They're likely to treat it as though it was a landing so that they can get as much useful data as possible. If all goes well, they'll have much more confidence next time that they can try for an actual landing with minimal (acceptable?) risk of a RUD on their shiny new launch pad.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:24 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:02 pm
That's the scuttlebutt I've heard. They're likely to treat it as though it was a landing so that they can get as much useful data as possible. If all goes well, they'll have much more confidence next time that they can try for an actual landing with minimal (acceptable?) risk of a RUD on their shiny new launch pad.
Thanks for the answers, I've been pretty pumped about this stuff. I watch the launches when I can, but I'm a teacher so don't have a lot of free time during the day...I find space and all things related to be absolutely fascinating. If I wasn't allergic to math I would have LOVED to be an astronomer or scientist.

So instead I coach football and soccer.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

ESA will launch Juice in a few hours.
The European Space Agency (Esa) is set to launch a satellite to the planet Jupiter, one of the organisation's most ambitious missions ever.

The satellite will leave Earth on Thursday on an eight-year journey to reach the giant planet's major moons.

There's good evidence that these icy worlds - Callisto, Europa and Ganymede - hold oceans of liquid water at depth.

The Esa mission aims to establish whether the moons might also have the conditions needed to sustain life.
Eight years is a long time when you're 66...well, one more reason to keep hanging on. :wink:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Inside the 3D-printed box where four humans will pretend they're living on Mars
Starting this June, four volunteers will spend a year pretending to live on the red planet inside the Mars Dune Alpha habitat
Charlie Scudder in Houston, Texas
Wed 12 Apr 2023 03.30 EDT
Last modified on Wed 12 Apr 2023 16.31 EDT

Red sand shifts under the boots of the crew members. In the distance, it appears that a rocky mountain range is rising out of the Martian horizon. A thin layer of red dust coats the solar panels and equipment necessary for the year-long mission.

This landscape isn’t actually 145m miles away. We are in a corner of the Nasa Johnson Space Center in Houston, in a large white warehouse right next to the disc golf course and on the tram route for tourists and school groups.

But starting this June, four volunteer test subjects will spend a year locked inside, pretending to live on Mars.

Nasa researchers say they’re doing everything they can to make it as realistic as possible so they can learn the impact that a year in isolation with limited resources has on human health.

“As we move from low Earth orbit, from moon to Mars, we’re going to have a lot more resource restrictions than we have on the International Space Station and we’re going to be a lot further from Earth or any help from Earth,” said Dr Grace Douglas, the principal investigator for the Crew Health Performance Exploration Analog, or Chapea for short.
Sounds like they'll sidestep the closed-ecosystem aspect that brought down the Biosphere 2 experiment.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:37 pm Eight years is a long time when you're 66...well, one more reason to keep hanging on. :wink:
I turn 70 this year, but I'll put the arrival date on my calendar... just in case :wink:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:42 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:37 pm Eight years is a long time when you're 66...well, one more reason to keep hanging on. :wink:
I turn 70 this year, but I'll put the arrival date on my calendar... just in case :wink:
Missing out on the future of space exploration is one of my main gripes about mortality. There isn't much else in the world that makes me feel good about the future. I was born 6 months before the Space Age started and I deserve to see how it all turns out. :wink:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

:coffee:

:pop: :pop: :horse:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Launch license acquired...

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

SIX POPCORNS!

The bounds of reality are bending! :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

National Weather Service forecast for Brownsville, TX (right next to Boca Chica) for Monday through Wednesday. Might be a bit windy.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 80. East wind 6 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Tuesday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 82. Breezy, with a south southeast wind 13 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph.

Wednesday
Partly sunny, with a high near 84. Breezy, with a south southeast wind 10 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Thursday........Hurricane Bella.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

How to watch SpaceX's 1st Starship space launch live online for free on April 17
When SpaceX attempts to launch its Starship, the world's biggest rocket, for the first time on April 17, the world will be watching and you can, too, with a free webcast from the private spaceflight company.

SpaceX's first Starship test flight is currently set to launch from the company's Starbase facility near Boca Chica Village in South Texas no earlier than Monday, April 17. Liftoff is targeted for 8 a.m. EDT (7 a.m. CDT/1200 GMT) at the start of a launch window that runs for 150 minutes (through 10:30 a.m. EDT/1430 GMT). SpaceX's webcast is scheduled to begin 45 minutes before liftoff, making its start at 7:15 a.m. EDT (1115 GMT). You can watch it live above and on the Space.com homepage at start time, or watch it directly from SpaceX's webcast and its YouTube channel.
8 am EDT is too early for me to get up :sleeping-sleeping: but since I'm not taking a morning walk on Monday and we won't be leaving for lunch till about 10:30 am EDT, at least I can check in on the second half of the launch window.

UPDATE: See the image, is it too late to go to the designated viewing zone for mariners?
Enlarge Image