How is your career going?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: How is your career going?

Post by Isgrimnur »

My boss just quit. No CIO after Friday. This had entered my mind as a personal exit indicator, but I didn't expect it so soon.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:15 pm My boss just quit. No CIO after Friday. This had entered my mind as a personal exit indicator, but I didn't expect it so soon.
Wow, hope they have a transition plan, no CIO causes all kinds of find crap.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They don't. There was C-suite politicking involved with Marketing deliberately flouting security controls and, I imagine, their Chief ensuring that they weren't held to account.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The org has been slimming down over the past year, mostly releasing contract labor, and now they are flattening the management structure. There's a decent chance I won't be a people leader by the end of this year. I am not exactly sad about that prospect.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

My company is the opposite, they keep inserting managers into the mix, with the classic case of having way too many managers and not enough people to do actual work. Managers that played the office politics right for longer than a couple of years get promoted to "director", and another manager gets hired to into their now-open position...with the actual number of people on the team staying the same. So instead of having to explain to one clueless idiot why I need to do something I get to explain it to two of them.
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

Scraper wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:25 am
Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:36 am
Scraper wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:27 am
Eel Snave wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:14 pm So I've been working for an insurance agency for about a year, had my licenses for about four years. Last year I finally had it with working for other people, so for the first time in my life I'm striking out on my own and starting my own business. It's terrifying, but also kind of cool. We'll see how it goes.
Are you opening your own insurance agency and if so what company are you working with for coverage?
Also, please sell me great insurance cheap, because you owe us.

My dad was an exalted insurance salesman (property and casualty) who once won a b&w portable TV when that was a valuable prize. That TV became mine and outlasted Dad. He also won a trip to Hilton Head Island that doesn't count as great because he didn't take us kids. He was successful because (1) he was great at meeting strangers, and (2) he really believed that everyone needs more insurance. You can't sell a product that you don't believe in.
Seriously if you can sell insurance in various states you might be able to pick up some business from the OO community. I'm currently looking for a new agent after mine retired at the end of the year.
It's my own agency, and right now I'm ONLY licensed in Wisconsin. I was licensed in Michigan for a bit, but I have no clients there so it didn't make sense for me to do it anywhere else.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!

Post by Default »

Five months.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm stuck in "wait and see" mode.

On the one hand, I've been told repeatedly my job is safe, and I've even been required to take some mandatory "future of the company" classes that those impacted by the layoffs were not invited to.

On the other hand, they're outsourcing literally everything I do. :think:

So this ends in one of two ways. Worst case is that when they cut over to the outsource company, they say "Just kidding" and let me go after all.

Best case is that my job shifts into a more design/development role rather than support, which would be A-OK with me.

Regardless of the eventual outcome, I leave a retention bonus and 6 months severance on the table if I walk now. So I'm just sitting tight.
dfs

Post by dfs »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:42 am On the one hand, I've been told repeatedly my job is safe, .....
That's shorthand for keep your eyes open.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, and I'm operating under the former assumption. Resume is updated, and I'm banking every dime.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Annual review results: "met expectations" with a 3% raise.

Given this economy that met my expectations. The raise almost matches the government reported inflation rate. :dance:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Moliere wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:02 pm Annual review results: "met expectations" with a 3% raise.

Given this economy that met my expectations. The raise almost matches the government reported inflation rate. :dance:
Same and, given my salary, 3% is a nice bump.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I got 3% too but I expected more than just a CoL increase. /fml
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

gilraen wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:48 pm I got 3% too but I expected more than just a CoL increase. /fml
The only time I have ever received more than 3% is by changing jobs.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Moliere wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:51 pm
gilraen wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:48 pm I got 3% too but I expected more than just a CoL increase. /fml
Yeah, I'm working on that...
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Occasionally working for the government has its benefits. I got 5% this year.
Hodor.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Moliere wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:02 pm Annual review results: "met expectations" with a 3% raise.

What do you mean by ‘given this economy’?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:45 am
Yep, and I hear talk of 7% next year, but I highly doubt that happens.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

3% here too. Seems to be the thing. Bonuses are back as well.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Boss has been indicating how we are short staffed for the last 6 months, how there are opportunities in multiple places and keeps sharing new post listings as well as reminding us of the various job search tools available to us as federal employees. If I didn't know better I'd think he's trying to get rid of us (only 3 of us on the team). :D

In any case, I don't want change, so I'm happy with status quo. I make a good salary, I understand my work and machines under my care and have zero interest in managing people.

Maybe I'll make a move up nearer to retirement to increase my pension, but even that's unlikely, given the increased workload and stress and minimal difference in pension.

Basically in a holding pattern and happy with it. Kids are still at home too. Maybe will look for new challenges when they leave. If they do. :roll:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lassr wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:26 am
pr0ner wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:45 am
Yep, and I hear talk of 7% next year, but I highly doubt that happens.
That would be nuts. Especially with my specific agency pushing for a 9% bump to our special rate table as well.
Hodor.

Post by Default »

Gub'ment jobs do well in economic down times, but lag pretty badly during inflation.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

You guys must suck at your jobs. I got 3.5%, not a paltry 3%.

Bonuses were very good this year, though - paid out well above target.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Moliere wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:51 pm The only time I have ever received more than 3% is by changing jobs.
Probably oversharing, but I was curious about that so I did some digging. I have worked at the same company for 22 years. I got my last promotion in 2011 (prior to that I was at the salary cap for my level for a few years). These are my annual increases since then.
2.25%
3%
1%
0% - not my best year, hated what I was doing and it showed
3.5%
2.5%
5.15%
3%
2.75%
2%
26.04% - this year they did a "market catch-up" and apparently I had a lot of catching up to do.
3%
3%

Other than that one off year I'm a consistent "meets expectations" kind of employee. People that were my peers 10-20 years ago are generally 3-5 levels above me now and I'm good with that.

It has been an interesting career. Only question is whether I can hold on for another 8-15 years.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Our org didn't plan for challenging times. Today is yearly bonus day.

Enlarge Image
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We've been told this year that raises will not be tied to evaluations. So I'm guessing everyone is getting an across the board paltry sum. I think I'm at my salary cap so I probably won't get anything anyway.

My wife works for the school system. She hasn't had a raise in like 10 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Even in 2008 and 2009 when things were particularly bad we got our bonuses. Percentage wise my annual bonus isn't much, around 6.5%, but as a lump sum it's nice.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

YellowKing wrote:We've been told this year that raises will not be tied to evaluations. So I'm guessing everyone is getting an across the board paltry sum. I think I'm at my salary cap so I probably won't get anything anyway.

My wife works for the school system. She hasn't had a raise in like 10 years.
10 years? WTF. NJ certainly doesn't operate that way. That's freaking nuts. :(
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:48 am In any case, I don't want change, so I'm happy with status quo. I make a good salary...have zero interest in managing people.

Basically in a holding pattern and happy with it. Kids are still at home too. Maybe will look for new challenges when they leave. If they do. :roll:
My sentiments exactly.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:49 pm
Moliere wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:51 pm The only time I have ever received more than 3% is by changing jobs.
Probably oversharing, but I was curious about that so I did some digging. I have worked at the same company for 22 years. I got my last promotion in 2011 (prior to that I was at the salary cap for my level for a few years). These are my annual increases since then.
2.25%
3%
1%
0% - not my best year, hated what I was doing and it showed
3.5%
2.5%
5.15%
3%
2.75%
2%
26.04% - this year they did a "market catch-up" and apparently I had a lot of catching up to do.
3%
3%

Other than that one off year I'm a consistent "meets expectations" kind of employee. People that were my peers 10-20 years ago are generally 3-5 levels above me now and I'm good with that.

It has been an interesting career. Only question is whether I can hold on for another 8-15 years.
This is why I don't stay at the same company for more than 5-6 years or in the same position for more than 2-3 years. Anytime I want more than 3% I just leave and get a new job somewhere else. Build the resume, not the career.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am completely happy with my compensation. If I wanted more I'd have to go to some place that would likely create more stress (FAANG) if I could even get a job at one of those companies. I'm seriously considering the opposite, taking a pay cut to take a job with somewhat lower expectations.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

How is your career going?

Post by Zarathud »

My 10% raise upon making partner was completely wiped out by having to pay employer-side Social Security and Health Care. My take home decreased, but I catch up with the year end hold back which depend on making budget.

The firm recognized that I would have been better off as an associate last year, so they made an adjustment. But that gets overridden as my salary and bonuses shift to being entirely determined by what I earn and collect, after required capital contributions. All bonuses are firm profit sharing.

The good news is there is a lot of upside, and the firm recognizes we have to bear the risk to be properly incentivized. But I see where some good people were screwed by clients who didn’t pay big bills. Capitalism at its finest!
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:48 am In any case, I don't want change, so I'm happy with status quo. I make a good salary, I understand my work and machines under my care and have zero interest in managing people.

Maybe I'll make a move up nearer to retirement to increase my pension, but even that's unlikely, given the increased workload and stress and minimal difference in pension.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I'm 4 years into a job with local government and I'm near the top of the salary scale for this position. It's an easy job supporting work that benefits the community with no after hours support and very little stress. The guys on the server/network team have a lot more responsibility and make only a tiny bit more than I do.

I'm content to stay here until i retire with ~18 years of pension credit.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:23 pm I see where some good people were screwed by clients who didn’t pay big bills.
What are the expected payment terms for corporate lawyers? Net 60?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:11 pm I'm seriously considering the opposite, taking a pay cut to take a job with somewhat lower expectations.
I have a lunch meeting with my boss next week to discuss this exact scenario.

There's a quasi-sales job (post-sale integration of our L&D platform) that I've been eyeing that I think would actually be pretty fun and that I'd be really good at. Problem is, it'd be at least a 50% pay cut...probably closer to 65%. That would still be more than enough to get by, but it would (obviously) mean that I wouldn't be growing the nest egg nearly as much as I've been able to over the past decade.

I'm weighing whether lower stress, the piece of mind of not constantly having a quota looming over my head, and the less insane work hours would be worth the huge pay cut. Or if I should just stick it out in this job for another 8-10 years, make as much $$ as I possibly can, then (hopefully) ride off into the sunset.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you make it to the sunset. And you have kids with which to make memories now.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Zarathud wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:23 pm I see where some good people were screwed by clients who didn’t pay big bills.
What are the expected payment terms for corporate lawyers? Net 60?
Depends on your relationship and assets. We ask for 30 days, some clients regularly delay it past 90 days. Sometimes payment timing is negotiated as part of the engagement. If I’m calling to get paid, I may stop doing work as it’s wasting time.

Not everyone is aggressive in collecting, and sometimes we recognize the client needs to win or settle a transaction to afford to pay. I’m lucky that I learn whether my clients can pay (and where) as part of the work, but some people have money because they don’t pay bills quickly. So my clients pay slow but do pay most of their bill. But they never owe me a million dollars.

With bad times and bad clients, the lawyers are asked to do a lot of work and left unpaid. That’s why Trump doesn’t have the best lawyers.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

In four years we would have the option of moving someplace smaller/cheaper. The kids will be out of high school and my wife's parents are talking about moving to assisted living so our roots will loosen significantly. I know I can live way more cheaply. I am not 100% certain my wife can. Also it would be 3.5 years after that before I could touch my 401k without penalty.

Damn career thread turning into a lack of a career thread. I guess we are getting old.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter

Post by Default »

Hard to believe, isn't it?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

As someone who is a former career poster, all I gotta say is as long as you don't get hurt, when you can manage to not work and stress every day, it's friggen awesome. You just have to temper your expectations on having and going things. As someone not particularly tied to things and looks at doing things in terms of hours needed to work to do them, the trade off for me has been so worth it so far... Short of getting hurt. That sucked and continues to suck.

My only regret is not getting jumping ship to a house in a better neighborhood, circa 2009. When I was one of the very few not to walk away from their mortgage around here. Being stuck in R&P redacted land was not something I could foresee when I felt an obligation to stick it out, but I lacked the energy to work enough to essentially start home ownership over once property values shot up out disproportionately with this area dropping so far behind.