Top Gun 2 coming?..It is! 2020

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Top Gun 2 coming?..It is! 2020

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:15 pm
I cannot imagine being an actor in this era.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:42 pm I cannot imagine being an actor in this era.
Ian McKellen was not a fan.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:13 pm That's not "a lot of fucking CGI".
Not by that single scene, of course not. But... Military.com
As part of what seemed like an especially well-oiled rollout, producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Tom Cruise gave a brief interview to U.K. movie magazine Empire that appears in the newly released May issue. The article is not available online, but we acquired a copy and have all the new dirt contained therein.

The big news is a quote from Bruckheimer: "The Navy wouldn't let [Tom] fly an F-18, but he flies a P-51 in the movie, and he flies helicopters. He can do just about anything in an airplane."
With that said, I *do* admire the guy for going with LESS CGI than he could get away with.

EDIT: CW "Mover" LeMoine explained back in 2019 how most of the trailer footage was composited or CGI'ed.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
stessier

Post by stessier »

Tom Cruise is nuts, but man is he cool.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote:

Tom Cruise is nuts, but man is he cool.
He also is really good at his job. After a few duds early in his career, he has pretty much made good to great movies for decades. Tho The Mummy was rather bad, just about everything else has been really good, and I tend to think that was more the fact that it was a franchise that he didn't have much control over.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He is weaponized charisma.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I love on-screen Tom Cruise, but all I can see in that screenshot is his center tooth.
naednek

Post by naednek »

McNutt wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:25 am I love on-screen Tom Cruise, but all I can see in that screenshot is his center tooth.
damn you
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Some friends and I went to go see this tonight. It was good fun and exactly what one would expect -
Spoiler:
lots of beautiful shots of fighter jets, shirtless beach football, a moderately ridiculous plot and massive amounts of broitude, complete with the obligatory asshole and mopey emo guy who both redeem themselves.
6 tentacles from me.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

As badly as I want to see this, I think Tom Cruises's scientology evangelism is going to keep me from going. I'm still debating it internally.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:41 am As badly as I want to see this, I think Tom Cruises's scientology evangelism is going to keep me from going. I'm still debating it internally.
Just imagine him standing on a milk crate for every shot.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Eh him being brainwashed by a cult doesn't make me enjoy the movies any more or less. I have to see this in the biggest screen I can find. Going to wait until next weekend as this weekend will be nuts I'm thinking. It's nice that the theatre by me now reserves the seats. Nothing worse that forking out a fortune for tickets to not even be able to sit together or sit in the front row. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:55 am
noxiousdog wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:41 am As badly as I want to see this, I think Tom Cruises's scientology evangelism is going to keep me from going. I'm still debating it internally.
Just imagine him standing on a milk crate for every shot.
They use Apple Boxes
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Octavious wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:10 pm Eh him being brainwashed by a cult doesn't make me enjoy the movies any more or less. I have to see this in the biggest screen I can find. Going to wait until next weekend as this weekend will be nuts I'm thinking. It's nice that the theatre by me now reserves the seats. Nothing worse that forking out a fortune for tickets to not even be able to sit together or sit in the front row. :P
+1. An actor's personal/political/religions opinions don't tend to stop me from enjoying their work if I find it enjoyable.

But I'm seeing the movie on Monday, since I can't wait as long as you!
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya actually I think we're going on Monday. I saw the Imax had plenty of open seats and I'm super excited about seeing this. I really don't get excited about movies anymore so that says something.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

stessier

Post by stessier »

We are going at Noon on Wed (6/1) in IMAX as the kids get out of school on 6/3, so it should be as empty as we're going to get.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Octavious wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:10 pm Eh him being brainwashed by a cult doesn't make me enjoy the movies any more or less. I have to see this in the biggest screen I can find. Going to wait until next weekend as this weekend will be nuts I'm thinking. It's nice that the theatre by me now reserves the seats. Nothing worse that forking out a fortune for tickets to not even be able to sit together or sit in the front row. :P
He's not just a member. He's a major spokesperson and recruiter. There's an argument to be made that he's as bad as Epstein and Weinstein.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I mean, not a good argument.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Why not? There's plenty of sexual abuse documented in the Church of Scientology and Cruise is definitely in the inner circle.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:20 pm Cruise is definitely in the inner circle.
I don't know that to be a fact. He is certainly a cheerleader and recruiter, but I've never heard any stories about him directing the inner workings or benefiting from anything they do (in fairness, I've never really looked). He's always seemed to be a true believer.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It's a stretch to say he's dictating or has a major role in Scientology's handling or encouraging of sexual abuse. So, claiming he's as bad as people who have done the things Epstein and Weinstein have done isn't going to fly unless you bring a whole lot of evidence.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

gbasden wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:47 am Some friends and I went to go see this tonight. It was good fun and exactly what one would expect -
Spoiler:
lots of beautiful shots of fighter jets, shirtless beach football, a moderately ridiculous plot and massive amounts of broitude, complete with the obligatory asshole and mopey emo guy who both redeem themselves.
6 tentacles from me.
Based on this I have exactly zero interest, and this is from a guy with a Cinemark membership trying to burn his tickets so he can cancel it without losing what he's paid for. Now to wait and see if my wife suggests we go see it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Tom Cruise is the highest level you can achieve in Scientology. He has more money than probably everyone at the church. He's a close friend of the leader. He's a smart guy.

He's had the opportunity and motive to see everything Leah Remini has published. To think he doesn't know everything that is going on is ludicrous.

It's fine if y'all don't care, but don't use ignorance in your evaluation.
Black Lives Matter

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Even if he knows that some people in the church have committed rape or whatnot, I'm saying that knowledge does not make him Jeffrey Epstein. I think of Tom Cruise as an idiot who has no idea what's really going on because he lives in a bubble (provided by Scientology) that we will never understand.

If you're going to argue that he is completely evil like the men you mentioned, then back that argument up and not base it off of assumptions. That's why I say it isn't a good argument.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

With a change of plans I will be going tomorrow. Woo.. Haven't been this excited to see a movie in a long time. I will try to not get raped.

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

McNutt wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:05 pm Even if he knows that some people in the church have committed rape or whatnot, I'm saying that knowledge does not make him Jeffrey Epstein. I think of Tom Cruise as an idiot who has no idea what's really going on because he lives in a bubble (provided by Scientology) that we will never understand.

If you're going to argue that he is completely evil like the men you mentioned, then back that argument up and not base it off of assumptions. That's why I say it isn't a good argument.
If you think Tom Cruise is an idiot, then we are at an impasse. I have never heard him described in that manner by people who know him. So if we can't agree on that basic fact, then the discussion is fruitless.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lots of brilliant people have crackpot beliefs. In fact, intelligence often isolates people and can make them less likely to listen to criticism than 'normal' people.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I don't know if he's an idiot, but I've never heard him really talk about anything other than acting. He seems to be very insulated from the outside world. I think he's a brilliant actor who is dedicated to creating quality films. So let's take his "idiot" label out of the equation.

What are you bringing to the argument to support that he is so mixed in with the activities of the church that he is at the level of Epstein or Weinstein?

Because he's wealthy and is a friend of the leader of Scientology he must be evil? I don't buy that. That's too much of a jump.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:58 pm Tom Cruise is the highest level you can achieve in Scientology. He has more money than probably everyone at the church. He's a close friend of the leader. He's a smart guy.

He's had the opportunity and motive to see everything Leah Remini has published. To think he doesn't know everything that is going on is ludicrous.

It's fine if y'all don't care, but don't use ignorance in your evaluation.
A friend of mine lived in LA for a while. He was (still is but can work remote now) a producer on a popular TV show and was making independent films. We went for a drink at a bar across the street from the Scientology compound. They were having some kind of event and there were conspicuous security officers with MP5 waking around the fence looking menacing. I was like, "look at those guys, what a fucked up cult." My friend freaked out and said I'd have to be quiet, there may be scientology people around and they could wreck his career.

I really hate scientology and fuck Tom Cruise.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Dude, RunningMan9 reads this board, you know.
He won. Period.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

McNutt wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:18 am I don't know if he's an idiot, but I've never heard him really talk about anything other than acting. He seems to be very insulated from the outside world. I think he's a brilliant actor who is dedicated to creating quality films. So let's take his "idiot" label out of the equation.

What are you bringing to the argument to support that he is so mixed in with the activities of the church that he is at the level of Epstein or Weinstein?

Because he's wealthy and is a friend of the leader of Scientology he must be evil? I don't buy that. That's too much of a jump.
He's the highest level of Scientology. Like being in the Pope's inner circle.
It is widely believed the last time he saw his daughter was 2012 because Katie Holmes wanted her protected from the church.
wiki wrote: In addition to promoting various programs that introduce people to Scientology, Cruise has campaigned for Scientology to be recognized as a religion in Europe. In 2005, the Council of Paris revealed that Cruise had lobbied French Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy and Senate President Jean-Claude Gaudin. They described him as a militant spokesman for Scientology, and barred any further dealings with him.[100][101] He also lobbied British Prime Minister Tony Blair to recognize the church as a tax-exempt nonprofit organization in the United Kingdom.

Cruise also personally lobbied Bush administration officials on Scientology. In 2003, he convinced Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage and Vice Presidential Chief of Staff Scooter Libby to oppose the non-recognition of Scientology in Germany. In 2004, he met Secretary of Education Rod Paige about endorsing Scientologist education methods as part of No Child Left Behind. Former Scientologist Paul Haggis also claimed that Cruise attempted to convert celebrities such as James Packer, Victoria and David Beckham, Jada Pinkett and Will Smith, and Steven Spielberg to Scientology.[97]

Cruise co-founded and raised donations for Downtown Medical to offer New York City 9/11 rescue workers detoxification therapy based on the works of L. Ron Hubbard. This drew criticism from the medical profession[102] and from firefighters.[103] For such activities, Scientology leader David Miscavige created the Scientology Freedom Medal of Valor and awarded it to Cruise in late 2004.[104]

Cruise's ex-girlfriend Nazanin Boniadi later compared the Church's auditioning of women to date Cruise and experiences with him to "white slavery."[126]
He's an outspoken advocate who lobbies the highest level of government and recruits heavily.

What would you call a friend of Epstein's who benefits from his behavior, and lobbies on his behalf, simply because he "believes" it's all legit?
Black Lives Matter

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I liked your quote about his ex girlfriend comparing the church (cult) to white slavery. That's the kind of thing I was asking for.

As for everything else, he is friends with the church's leader. He's at the highest level, but I honestly don't know what that means. Isn't that just a title given to people who have contributed the most?

Don't get me wrong, I think Scientology is really terrible (sorry, RM9). I think it is a cult and I think Cruise is about as deep as you can get. But, does that mean he's under the spell of the cult or that he is controlling the cult? I don't know that answer. I also don't know what heinous activities that rise to the level of Epstein Cruise condones. It's all speculation.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

A++++++++++++++. Didn't get raped and it is in fact better than the original. Dolby Cinema with the kickers in the seats was bloody nuts.

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

McNutt wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:34 pm I liked your quote about his ex girlfriend comparing the church (cult) to white slavery. That's the kind of thing I was asking for.

As for everything else, he is friends with the church's leader. He's at the highest level, but I honestly don't know what that means. Isn't that just a title given to people who have contributed the most?

Don't get me wrong, I think Scientology is really terrible (sorry, RM9). I think it is a cult and I think Cruise is about as deep as you can get. But, does that mean he's under the spell of the cult or that he is controlling the cult? I don't know that answer. I also don't know what heinous activities that rise to the level of Epstein Cruise condones. It's all speculation.
No. Cults and religions don't put you in the inner circle for being a big donor.

It's not really speculation. There are plenty of people that have left the church and talked.

I was in your position a week ago. My lady refused to see it and told me why. I found the supporting evidence. Its out there if you care.
Black Lives Matter

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Hepcat, will you be seeing this in 4D? I would LOVE to read your AAR.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'll skip this one, and not just because I despise Scientology and all that.

Airplanes are awesome, but propaganda is gross, and (from the previews I've seen) the movie features a lot of stunt-flying that would actually get you reprimanded.

If there are any good realistic air-combat scenes, I'm sure they'll show up on YouTube eventually.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not sure why they went with all the silly stuff. Other than him buzzing the tower I dont recall anything but serious flying in the first one..
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri May 27, 2022 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

His call-sign was Maverick.

‘Serious Flying’ wasn’t how he got the call-sign, he flew by his own rules.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If you are going into Top Gun expecting proper flight manuvers you will be solery disappointed. If you want to feel like you on a rollercoaster of awesome nonsense I can't think of anything better. It felt like a theme park ride.