Pictures and Videos for R&P

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Pictures and Videos for R&P

Post by Smoove_B »

Is the GOP back to having a competition to see who can say the most idiotic thing?

"They were one of the most woke banks" -- James Comer on SVB Bank
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

It'd be fun in a perfect world to watch them try to stretch this idiocy to every problem that crops up. Unfortunately so many truly dumb people lap it up.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

All banks of any size do that. It's good PR. Is JPM woke too?
JPMorgan Chase is committed to helping our clients navigate the challenges and capitalize on the long-term economic opportunities and environmental benefits of progressing toward a low-carbon world. We are applying our capital, data, expertise and other resources to help address climate change and promote long-term, innovative solutions for a more sustainable future.
https://www.jpmorganchase.com/impact/sustainability

Normally I'd say politicians probably know that and are just playing the game but in the case of Magic The Gathering there's a high chance she has no idea.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

"...hedged with less regulation because of my leadership under Donald J Trump and continued to believe that money would be free forever based on their experience because of my leadership under Donald J Trump wherein we established None Dare Call It QE wherein we encouraged inflationary pressures that would be cashed in on with the coming of COVID. Due to the need to preserve the wealth of "Libertarian" job creators, we are going to plead for Biden allow the democrats and Fed to bail out Private Equity and Venture Capitalist investors who largely donate to conservative political groups and then blame them for the cause and any move to any resolution."
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:26 am All banks of any size do that. It's good PR. Is JPM woke too?
JPMorgan Chase is committed to helping our clients navigate the challenges and capitalize on the long-term economic opportunities and environmental benefits of progressing toward a low-carbon world. We are applying our capital, data, expertise and other resources to help address climate change and promote long-term, innovative solutions for a more sustainable future.
https://www.jpmorganchase.com/impact/sustainability

Normally I'd say politicians probably know that and are just playing the game but in the case of Magic The Gathering there's a high chance she has no idea.
I don’t know why, but I can’t stop laughing at calling MGT “Magic The Gathering.” Too funny. :lol:
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:26 am All banks corporations of any size do that. It's good PR. Is JPM Fox News Corp woke too?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I know that no one is surprised

Tucker Carlson is blaming the failure of Silicon Valley Bank on diversity:

"The Obama administration imposed diversity, equity, and inclusion standards on the entire financial sector. And that's one of the main reasons our big banks are now increasingly incompetent."
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When that douchenozzle finally falls, he's going to fall hard. Or be elected President. One or the other.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Enlarge Image
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:23 pm I know that no one is surprised

Tucker Carlson is blaming the failure of Silicon Valley Bank on diversity:

"The Obama administration imposed diversity, equity, and inclusion standards on the entire financial sector. And that's one of the main reasons our big banks are now increasingly incompetent."
2018 rollback votes.

But it was some toothless ESG/DEI virtue signaling that did it in. Sure.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Again asking, when is the President going to give him a medal?

malchior

Post by malchior »

WTAF. I have no words. A judge put a child in cuffs for no reason to teach her a "lesson"?! Over and over we get signals that there is something drastically wrong with this country.

Slate
You might think that any American judge would be severely penalized for tormenting an innocent child in open court, but you would be wrong. Federal judges, protected by life tenure, can mistreat people in their courtrooms, including spectators, with near impunity and little fear of meaningful punishment. That is just what happened last month in San Diego, when senior Federal District Judge Roger Benitez committed what can only be described as a blatant act of child abuse.

When Mario Puente brought his 13-year-old daughter to Benitez’s courtroom, he hoped that her visible support might help him persuade the judge that he was committed to turning his life around, rather than being returned to prison for violating his parole on drug charges. Benitez, a George W. Bush appointee, was indeed moved by the girl’s presence, but in a stunningly inhumane direction. Before the hearing was over, the teenager found herself weeping in handcuffs at the judge’s command, even though she had done nothing more than sit quietly in the spectators’ section while her father attempted to talk himself out of more prison time.

Almost any other professional—teacher, social worker, security guard—would be quickly suspended for such behavior, and probably fired. But Benitez has life tenure as a federal district judge, which makes him nearly free from serious consequences. He cannot be sued for damages, because he has judicial immunity for conduct on the bench. And he cannot be removed from office other than by impeachment in the House of Representatives and conviction in the Senate.

The Code of Conduct for United States Judges requires judges to be “respectful, and courteous to litigants, jurors, witnesses, lawyers, and others with whom the judge deals in an official capacity,” but it has no provisions for enforcement.

The only conceivable recourse against Benitez is under the relatively toothless Judicial Conduct and Disability Act of 1980. To his credit, Chief Judge Dana Sabraw, of the Southern District of California, has initiated a complaint under the act, but that can lead, at most, to a private or public censure—and perhaps a temporary interruption of newly assigned cases—leaving Benitez free to continue his bullying ways.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'm sure the House with their newfound concern for the safety of children will write up articles of impeachment.

I wonder if the marshal can be held accountable.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:29 pm Again asking, when is the President going to give him a medal?

santos is the total embodiment of modern america! As a proven liar and as a Jew-ish gay drag queen immigrant who is also on entrepreneur and a criminal, and who hates gays, drag queens and immigrants he is the perfect for president in 2024. He is an amazing tissue of lies bridge builder to take this country forward in hypocritical unity. And he was definitely born here unlike Obama.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

To hypocritical unity and beyond!

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Twice in one week.

A TREASURE!
malchior

Post by malchior »

MAGA is talking about Civil War. This clip does a good job thinking that through.

YouTube alt in the spoiler link
Spoiler:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman

Post by Holman »

"This is indoctrinating kids into socializm!!" in 3, 2, 1...
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:47 pm "This is indoctrinating kids into socializm!!" in 3, 2, 1...
"My kids got free lunch even though I pack them something much healthier. What a waste of my tax player dollars. You know they put Coke machines in line for kids to drink with their free lunch."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That is much too mild and well reasoned. It'll be something more like, "First they make school food mandatory, then they plan to lace the food with COVID vaccines, the woke mind virus, puberty blockers, and fluoride!"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:45 pm That is much too mild and well reasoned. It'll be something more like, "First they make school food mandatory, then they plan to lace the food with COVID vaccines, the woke mind virus, puberty blockers, and fluoride!"
Is that before or after they accuse him of being a groomer?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Here is an excellent interview with Sam Harris on Lex Fridman's podcast. Early on Lex asks Sam if he can emphasize with those who think our whole system is corrupt and we needed Florida Man to shake things up. His answer is very much in line with my thinking.

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm a huge fan of Sam Harris. There have been a few times where he's gone a little bit beyond 'my position' on a thing or two... but for so many things this guy has been a great source of 'very much in line with my thinking'.

edit: oh wow, that's 4.5 hours :shock: :D
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, can you point us to a specific time?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:36 pm Yeah, can you point us to a specific time?
Like I said, it's early on, maybe 5 minutes in. But the whole thing is varied and fascinating. I left it on for a soundtrack while gaming.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

16:35
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:16 pm16:35
Thanks. That would be better in the voice of Beau of the Fifth Column. Event though I agree with them, these guys are somniferous.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

malchior wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:10 pm MAGA is talking about Civil War. This clip does a good job thinking that through.
The scary part is that we are learning just how many military and police officers are maga. That civil war is looking a lot less civil.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:31 am
malchior wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:10 pm MAGA is talking about Civil War. This clip does a good job thinking that through.
The scary part is that we are learning just how many military and police officers are maga. That civil war is looking a lot less civil.
Thr MAGA fantasy is total Civil War. That most likely doesn't happen. If there is some kind of successful movement, it will be on limited fronts and aside from battles on social media, most Americans won't be directly involved. Flare-ups will be dealt with easily.

It's why they're testing attacks on infrastructure (see power station attacks). They want to sow larger unrest to try to tie up government resources. The plan is more along the lines of Turner Diary shit than actual organized suscession.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd expect to see more domestic terrorism rather than all-out war. We'll look less like The Blue and the Grey, and more like the UK during The Troubles.

And to be honest, it's one advantage to being stuck in an all-red, zero-relevance village. As long as I don't put up any blue signs, of course.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:47 am Thr MAGA fantasy is total Civil War. That most likely doesn't happen. If there is some kind of successful movement, it will be on limited fronts and aside from battles on social media, most Americans won't be directly involved. Flare-ups will be dealt with easily.

It's why they're testing attacks on infrastructure (see power station attacks). They want to sow larger unrest to try to tie up government resources. The plan is more along the lines of Turner Diary shit than actual organized suscession.
Sure, but the video implied a very short conflict between military vs redneck survivalists. What happens when (some) cops and (some) military side with maga in the video's scenario?

We already know what will happen when judges side with maga.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:15 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:47 am Thr MAGA fantasy is total Civil War. That most likely doesn't happen. If there is some kind of successful movement, it will be on limited fronts and aside from battles on social media, most Americans won't be directly involved. Flare-ups will be dealt with easily.

Sure, but the video implied a very short conflict between military vs redneck survivalists. What happens when (some) cops and (some) military side with maga in the video's scenario?

We already know what will happen when judges side with maga.
Cops generally aren't better trained or better armed than your standard gun nut. Their presence may add some confusion but it's not going be a huge tactical boost. Maybe if they steal the keys to the MRAP and some SWAT gear but even then, not game changing.

If individuals in the military mutiny and fight against the government? Same thing.

In order for it to be effective, it would have to be very widespread to overcome the checks in place. Don't really see that happening but if it did, yeah, that's a problem.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:23 pm Cops generally aren't better trained or better armed than your standard gun nut.
And their training is different. Most of their training is for small, contained situations with the priority (in theory) being to defuse rather than overcome. Applying that training, beyond simple weapon operation - to pitched battle, where you have extended firefights with long range combatants from multiple positions - would take a lot of adjustment. It could actually work against them as often as for them. Hell, if there is any organization, the best place for most beat cops would be the sweeping up afterwards - going house to house, clearing out stragglers.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...and remember some of us socialist types have military training and expertise in things that could make things interesting when the time comes.

Well, if you ignore the fact I don't own any guns and haven't touched C4 in a couple decades and would likely be bunkering down with my family hoping nobody notices us.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

stessier wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:02 am Seems to be a talking point.

Their good buddy Peter Thiel ripped all his money out possibly precipitating the collapse… and the bank lobbied republicans to get the laws changed that allowed them to get into trouble in 2018 but it’sall Bidens fault of course.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:57 pm Their good buddy Peter Thiel ripped all his money out possibly precipitating the collapse… and the bank lobbied republicans to get the laws changed that allowed them to get into trouble in 2018 but it’sall Bidens fault of course.
That. "Libertarian" conservatism is so far off the rails. He also encouraged all his "libertarian" conservative buddies to do the same. All these people who relied on SVB when they "founders". That doesn't excuse all the other irresponsible depositors and doesn't mean the gov't shouldn't step in but there needs to be a long hard look at everything[/] and the "wokeness" of the bank doesn't even register.