Pictures and Videos for R&P

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Pictures and Videos for R&P

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

FLORIDA MAN MAKES AN ANNOUNCEMENT
See page 26.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:48 pm Major Announcement

https://truthsocial.com/@realDonaldTrum ... 9948693200
Locking down that 4-8 year old male demographic.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

For those of us that refuse to visit the site, what’s the big news?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:41 pm For those of us that refuse to visit the site, what’s the big news?
I feel dirty. I clicked. I guess someone will tell us tomorrow.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump wants people to watch him masturbate to a picture of himself....again.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:41 pm For those of us that refuse to visit the site, what’s the big news?
“America needs a superhero,” Mr Trump says in the footage before an animated image of him wearing a superhero outfit with the letter “T” on his chest appears as beams of lights stream from his eyes
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 45250.html
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:07 pm
“America needs a superhero,” Mr Trump says in the footage before an animated image of him wearing a superhero outfit with the letter “T” on his chest appears as beams of lights stream from his eyes
So the superhero America needs is... Homelander?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:44 pm
Lol... yeah, that was the first time I'd ever visited. And I clicked through from Twitter! Dear god, where's the shower?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I clicked, too, but didn't play the video.

I don't really get the reasoning behind announcing that you're going to make an announcement (as the NSF did about the fusion breakthrough). I guess it's to build up buzz? It's like releasing a teaser for a trailer.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 45250.html
LOL omg, so Hepcat was just seriously reporting the news.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:49 pm
I clicked, too, but didn't play the video.

I don't really get the reasoning behind announcing that you're going to make an announcement (as the NSF did about the fusion breakthrough). I guess it's to build up buzz? It's like releasing a teaser for a trailer.
I would say if you are an organization that normally doesn't share big news, one would want to alert the press that they will want to cover 'this'....

And of course, no brainer - for Trump, he demanded that his message had better get a lot of eyes and someone in that position is scrambling to do just that.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:12 pm
One honestly needs to consider how there was a "The Boys" community that felt backstabbed when they were forced to acknowledge that he was going to be a bad guy.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Holman wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:12 pm
Or maybe Hancock?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Evergreen

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

And it's not the first time.

Maybe they need to hire someone just to check that they aren't accidentally publishing swastika crossword puzzles?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For Trump....little kid he is

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image

The Peztival of Lights.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

88 Across, Group once led by Darth Sidious:: Sith
88 Down, Mecca Resident:: Saudi
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

8 across: Merci
8 down: Mains

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:59 am
I have now seen that about a hundred times. I've read feedback from people that do crosswords regularly and it seems that the rotational symmetry involved in their design results in patterns similar to this all the time. Some people are under the impression that 1: it's intentional, and 2: there should be someone assigned specifically to check all crossword puzzles for unintentional Rorschach imagery.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:39 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:59 am
I have now seen that about a hundred times. I've read feedback from people that do crosswords regularly and it seems that the rotational symmetry involved in their design results in patterns similar to this all the time. Some people are under the impression that 1: it's intentional, and 2: there should be someone assigned specifically to check all crossword puzzles for unintentional Rorschach imagery.
I get all that, but you’d think that maybe someone involved in the process would have looked at it and said “hey, wait a minute”.

Because it’s really damn obvious.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I am confident that Will Shortz is not a Nazi.

Nevertheless, it's an embarrassing blunder, especially since it has happened before (to similar outcry).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think the fact that people are legitimately wondering if it's a genuine attempt to include Nazi symbology somewhere in 2022 is more telling than anything else.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm usually pretty quick to notice patterns, and I didn't see it until someone pointed it out (mostly because it is a negative space representation.)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:39 pm I'm usually pretty quick to notice patterns, and I didn't see it until someone pointed it out (mostly because it is a negative space representation.)
I'm often seeing patterns that aren't there so I recognized it right away and assumed it was nothing.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:39 pm there should be someone assigned specifically to check all crossword puzzles for unintentional Rorschach imagery.
Honestly, is that such a horrible thing? That someone just looks at the puzzle and tries to see if there is something wrong with it?
I saw the pattern immediately - before I read the text, so personally - it stood out to me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Someone to look for anything that vaguely resembles any of hundreds of hate symbols? For something that happens by accident once every (apparently) three or four years? It is absurd.

The symbology has been so abused lately that we've become incapable of 1) accepting that random patterns will eventually create certain symbols without malicious intent, and 2) accepting that something random and accidental that reminds of us of something bad is so horrible that extreme measures must be taken to prevent it.

There is a difference between ignoring hate/harm (which we did, and which we have been rightly chastised for) and seeing hate/harm in everything. I think the better answer might be to step back and look at our response and see if we've begun to overcompensate for past wrongs.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Don't forget it was also published on the first day of Hanukkah.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:45 pm Someone to look for anything that vaguely resembles any of hundreds of hate symbols? For something that happens by accident once every (apparently) three or four years? It is absurd.

The symbology has been so abused lately that we've become incapable of 1) accepting that random patterns will eventually create certain symbols without malicious intent, and 2) accepting that something random and accidental that reminds of us of something bad is so horrible that extreme measures must be taken to prevent it.

There is a difference between ignoring hate/harm (which we did, and which we have been rightly chastised for) and seeing hate/harm in everything. I think the better answer might be to step back and look at our response and see if we've begun to overcompensate for past wrongs.
All this, except the very last sentence maybe. Not sure ‘overcompensating’ is what’s happening (but certainly could be, and something in that vein if not).

This is definitely in the trenches of culturism though.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I wasn't being serious when I suggested hiring someone who's only job is to check that the daily crossword wasn't a swastika. But I don't think having the editor who approves the crossword puzzle take an added step of checking to make sure the grid of the crossword puzzle doesn't have hate symbols is an "extreme measure". Honestly, it's a step that would normally be so completely obvious that I wouldn't have thought it needed explicitly stating.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Defiant wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:31 pm I wasn't being serious when I suggested hiring someone who's only job is to check that the daily crossword wasn't a swastika. But I don't think having the editor who approves the crossword puzzle take an added step of checking to make sure the grid of the crossword puzzle doesn't have hate symbols is an "extreme measure". Honestly, it's a step that would normally be so completely obvious that I wouldn't have thought it needed explicitly stating.
There is undoubtedly an editor who has that responsibility. They either failed or didn't care. Did it make print or just online?

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or they didn't recognize the symbol. Again, it's negative space - many people (including me) see the black pattern, not the white. Even now, knowing it's there, I have to unfocus my eyes and squint to see it. And the problem with an editor looking at it and checking for 'hate symbols' is that, as I linked to earlier, there are hundreds of hate symbols, more every day, far too many to be able to recognize them all in abstract representations without dedicating an employee to just that.

If you want a potentially practical answer, write a computer program to check for patterns.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:44 pm If you want a potentially practical answer, write a computer program to check for patterns.
Or - hear me out - we could stop tolerating Nazi-adjacent shitbags in 2022 and take care of them like we did in the 1940s.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:44 pm Again, it's negative space - many people (including me) see the black pattern, not the white. Even now, knowing it's there, I have to unfocus my eyes and squint to see it.
But you are not a paid editor. Let's ask Kraken. ;)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:44 pm Or they didn't recognize the symbol. Again, it's negative space - many people (including me) see the black pattern, not the white. Even now, knowing it's there, I have to unfocus my eyes and squint to see it.
It's an editor's job. Maybe you and I wouldn't see it but it's not our job.
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:44 pm And the problem with an editor looking at it and checking for 'hate symbols' is that, as I linked to earlier, there are hundreds of hate symbols, more every day, far too many to be able to recognize them all in abstract representations without dedicating an employee to just that.
And if they missed the obscure Tibetan rock-tree symbol that has been co-opted by the Oklahoma City chapter of the Aryan Nation, probably not a big deal. After all, that's the point of fringe symbology.
Instead they missed the world's most recognizable and potent symbol of hate, ever.
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:44 pm If you want a potentially practical answer, write a computer program to check for patterns.
Until then, human editors have the job.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:05 pm
Or - hear me out - we could stop tolerating Nazi-adjacent shitbags in 2022 and take care of them like we did in the 1940s.
The NYT crossword was an intentional act by Nazis? New York by Christmas?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:35 pm The NYT crossword was an intentional act by Nazis? New York by Christmas?
No. As stated earlier, the fact that we even need to consider intentions in 2022 that a symbol used by a group that was defeated and dismantled 77 years ago is part of the problem. In an alternative timeline this wouldn't even be a thing.