Just bought gas for under $3

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Just bought gas for under $3

Post by Kraken »

I just set a new record at $5.43 for premium. My nephew says regular is going for $7+ in L.A. He paid $85 to fill up his too-big vehicle today.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Last I saw (2-3 weeks ago) ours was around $4.35 a gallon.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looking at the fuel finder map...

REG - $4.15
MID - $4.45
PREM - $4.75
Diesel - $5.09
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We just completed a 1,200 mi opening half of a road trip and compared the cost of Tesla's recently bumped Supercharging vs gas. Came out to about $2.65/gal equivalent if we had been driving a 25 mpg SUV instead. So still not bad relative to gas.

Wanted to do the calc after hearing co-workers bitching about expected Memorial Day road trip costs and realizing I hadn't done the math lately. ($135 in Supercharging costs for 1,275 mi, at 383 Wh/mi for the X.) Assuming 25 mpg (a high estimate for a comparable 7-seat SUV), that'd be 51 gallons of gas. $2.65/gal would eat the same cost as our charges.

Caveat: of course home charging is a fraction of these costs.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Shame Tesla couldn't use solar to power their chargers and give charging away free. That would really boost their sales.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Had to wait in line for gas at the Speedway like it was a Costco. That's probably not a good sign. Good thing I don't drive much any more.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I think I hit a record for filling my car up - $53. I drive a 2005 Toyota Corolla, so I'm used to getting out of there for around $35 on a bad day.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm just about at that point where I'm going to punch two leg holes through the floor of my Honda Civic and Fred Flintstone this MF around town.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its $4.13 here. The marinas are even worse. News was showing $5.99 per gallon at the docks.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

News this morning: "Gas prices went up 5 cents a gallon overnight."

Local discount gas station: Jacks prices 45 cents a gallon. :evil:
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I've got about a quarter of a tank left in my car right now. The trip odometer for this tank just hit 1000 miles and I'm supposedly getting 130.4 mpg. I may be able to stretch this tank through the summer if I can keep trips under 20 miles and keep the battery charged!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
naednek

Post by naednek »

you guys are cute, Here in California we are around $6.40 a gallon. My costco is about 50 cents cheaper, but I'm still paying around $90 to fill up.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Went home for lunch yesterday and gas was $4.99
On the way back to work 30 minutes later? $5.55
And we havent even hit the "summer blend" months yet!!
Things are going great!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well a day ago it was $4.13 here. Today its $4.39 By the time my check comes Friday Ill have to pay $5. That will take any savings I had planned...again. Always something.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Paid $5.20 for regular at a Delta Sonic in Oswego. That's 20 cents cheaper than E-88 at the Casey's near me. Still, higher than it was yesterday by a good 30 cents.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Between gas prices and Biden's low approval Im very worried about the midterms. People forget who started bad prices and who took them over and such. Its the here and now they count. Once the GOP take it all then nothing will get done until a new Pres.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:04 pm Between gas prices and Biden's low approval Im very worried about the midterms. People forget who started bad prices and who took them over and such. Its the here and now they count.
Here's a helpful refresher courtesy of the Washington Post, which provides a date-by-date timeline showing precisely "what the top economic officials in the White House and the Federal Reserve were saying and doing about the problems as they developed, and how they fell behind:"

U.S. policymakers misjudged inflation threat until it was too late
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

$4.47 is what Ill be paying today. So instead of like $25 to fill it'll be like $50...so dont think Ill fill it..though I need it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:44 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:04 pm Between gas prices and Biden's low approval Im very worried about the midterms. People forget who started bad prices and who took them over and such. Its the here and now they count.
Here's a helpful refresher courtesy of the Washington Post, which provides a date-by-date timeline showing precisely "what the top economic officials in the White House and the Federal Reserve were saying and doing about the problems as they developed, and how they fell behind:"

It's paywalled but the timeline is pretty well known.

Oddly enough in all cases, things are opposite of what they seem as Powell was Trump guy. Out of control Inflation, already due after non existent interest rates and QE going back to overstaying its need decade ago was going to be a known the moment we decided (correctly, IMO) in 2020 to infuse trillions of dollars into the system to make it easier for people to stay at home in 2020. This paying the piper. It sucks. Maybe payment can be done better than it is being done now (I'm not that smart to understand), but it has to happen. The problems we are feeling today began under Obama's fed and Congress and then were sent into overdrive under Trump's fed and Congress. We're paying for give aways that persisted (unnecessarily IMO) in 2012 and then actually accelerated (way out of line in None Dare Call IT QE) in 2017.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

We won’t finish paying until crypto has cratered. All that money is going into a nonproductive hole.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Luckily, miners don't have the clout to get a bailout.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:08 am We won’t finish paying until crypto has cratered. All that money is going into a nonproductive hole.
That's an interesting take that sounds reasonable in a conversational way and yet I don't understand it. I'd like that walkthrough for dummies.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

When rich people pour their investment money into something that is based on ‘nothing’ but the game of investing, it undermines the true engine of the economy.
Certainly kills the idea of ‘let rich people have their money so they can invest in more business, which helps all of us’
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:09 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:44 pm

It's paywalled but the timeline is pretty well known.
Not if you use the Bypass Paywalls Clean add-on/extension -- here's the Firefox version, and here's the Chrome version.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I try to respect advertising revenue generation. If pay-walling is that important to them then I don't tend to go around them. I do tend dislike google showing top searches that are paywalled. I need to go to a better search engine one day. One where it's easy to curate top rated searches I don't want to see. I remember the halcyon days when google had the perfect link for everything you searched for within the first three hits. Now you have scroll through their top things wholly unrelated to your search to get to a half page that may or may not contain the links you are looking for.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

$40 got me 3/4th a tank...about 9 gal.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Just paid 4.95... This is starting to actually hurt now. Thankfully my wife recently got a decent raise which will pretty much totally offset this nonsense for now. We get to the heating season and I have to pay 5 dollars a gallon? Pain... Lots of pain...
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Everywhere was past the $5 mark on my morning walk today. In a week it went from $4.39 findable if you took the time to look to $5.09 being ubiquitous. Glad I don't drive much any more, though gas going up drives everything else up. So it's coming for me soon.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

For a long time I was kind of mad gas prices went down right after I bought a BEV. Now of course they are skyrocketing and... I don't drive anywhere. Anybody want a REALLY low mileage Model 3? Not quite 17k miles in FOUR YEARS!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:09 pmNot quite 17k miles in FOUR YEARS!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Even mowing gas hurts me. Its time to fill up after the next mow so Im hoping it comes down by then. That will be like 4 weeks away.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:43 pm Even mowing gas hurts me. Its time to fill up after the next mow so Im hoping it comes down by then. That will be like 4 weeks away.
Battery powered mower FTW.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You should probably be mowing more frequently.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's going to keep going up -- or, at best, stay high -- for as long as the war in Ukraine lasts. The EU has agreed to halt Russian tanker deliveries by the end of the year. That means they're going to be buying elsewhere. China and India get discounted Russian oil, while the rest of the world competes for non-Russian oil.

Opening Iran's taps could provide some welcome relief, but that agreement is hung up on our refusal to take the Revolutionary Guard off the terrorism watchlist. Biden is being pressured to go hat-in-hand to Saudi Arabia but is resisting.

What I don't understand -- and maybe this is too political for this thread -- is why the administration doesn't use the Defense Production Act to force US oil companies to reopen closed wells.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some alien looking from the outside in would wonder why the US doesn't take over all world supply . Boy wouldn't that be a pickle.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:50 pm It's going to keep going up -- or, at best, stay high -- for as long as the war in Ukraine lasts. The EU has agreed to halt Russian tanker deliveries by the end of the year. That means they're going to be buying elsewhere. China and India get discounted Russian oil, while the rest of the world competes for non-Russian oil.

Opening Iran's taps could provide some welcome relief, but that agreement is hung up on our refusal to take the Revolutionary Guard off the terrorism watchlist. Biden is being pressured to go hat-in-hand to Saudi Arabia but is resisting.

What I don't understand -- and maybe this is too political for this thread -- is why the administration doesn't use the Defense Production Act to force US oil companies to reopen closed wells.
The world wide economic pressure to put a bullet in Putin’s head must be off the charts by now.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well, for the non oil-selling part of the world.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:48 pm You should probably be mowing more frequently.
I fill a two gallon gas can once a year, mowing my lawn once a week. No idea how many feet but it takes shy of an hour to mow. Of course I have shorter mowing season but my mower seems to sip gas. I'm sure it's a gotta be a cup or less (maybe a lot less) every mow.
Kraken wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:50 pm It's going to keep going up -- or, at best, stay high -- for as long as the war in Ukraine lasts. The EU has agreed to halt Russian tanker deliveries by the end of the year. That means they're going to be buying elsewhere. China and India get discounted Russian oil, while the rest of the world competes for non-Russian oil.

Last new report I saw said the India is buying every last drop of oil having the tankers go dark and then re-emerge with new ID selling oil to... everyone, US inclusive.

Also what I hear is that we don't have a production problem so much as we (the US) have refining and logistics problems that we're not working on. Energy don't want to invest capital. Energy investors consider capital investment verboten at this time and want returns instead. This is why opening the reserves hasn't even contributing to denting the price. So, all I can do is use less plastics and drive less.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:44 pm Also what I hear is that we don't have a production problem so much as we (the US) have refining and logistics problems that we're not working on.
We're in hurricane season now. I can only imagine what's going to happen to prices if one rips through production platforms in the Gulf over the next 4 months.
Maybe next year, maybe no go