Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

spelk

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm

Post by spelk »

This is out now, over at Matrix games. A Cold war era pausable WEGO wargame, a successor to Flashpoint Campaign: Germany.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/471 ... .Red.Storm" target="_blank

I've just finished my "blow up all the bridges" effort on the "A Time to Dance" scenario...

Here's the stage I got too just at the end of "turn 3"- where I've got the four bridges all blown, the fifth bridge far left needs another turn on it to complete the destruction.

It seemed to go very well in the beginning, I stationed what firepower I could high up with as much cover as possible, and just let them take pot shots at the Russkies over the other side of the river. However, given enough time, they get some engineers up to the front and they created a new bridge and then started rolling their armour across. That's when it got tricky.

My best shout was to pull back into a defensive bundle, centered around the trees and hills and hope to survive what they threw at me. The good thing was that with the bridges out, they had to channel what they had through a small area to get to me, so I just heavily soiled that area with fire.

They eventually forged another bridge in the North, and pushed their way into the town, then flanked Northwards and got to my back quarter.

They didn't manage to secure the 3000 VP's hex on the far left ever! Which I think was partly due to having to run such a bottlenecked gauntlet at their re-made bridge.

In the end though, they pushed north and started to overwhelm me, dropping airstrikes on large stacks of my units (ouchy!). However, I held out, had plans to push hasty recon vehicles back into the VP hexes along the river, but sadly the mission ended and the scores were tallied. I think its the best yet for this scenario, but I still only managed 52%, a Contested Battle result. Two more percent and I would have eeked it over into a Marginal Success.

Now I know they can make their own bridges, I'm going to have to work out how to stop that. :)

I took out 142 of the blighters though!

Here's how it was left. I'd managed to destroy the Northern invasion force, and was about to begin a desperate run back east to take those unguarded VP hexes. A little more time, I might have done it! :)

Very moreish planning and watching it play out, shouting at my hummers "blow the damn bridges NOW!", and my surprise when the Russkies forged the river and started rolling down the roads! Every loss is a blow, taken personally. And when they'd knobbled my only Arty unit, there was a cry of despair! Bloody good jolly japes this is, really enjoying the game! :)
spelk
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm

Post by $iljanus »

I've been following this over at the Matrix forums and as soon as my replacement motherboard comes in I'm going to pick this up. I liked the first game but this version has dismounted infantry and I like the scenario selection and maps. I also believe tactical nukes and chemical weapons are usable in the game. Who doesn't like throwing the occasional nuke or chemicals around? I'm a sucker for a good WW3 wargame and I don't hear much about bugs in the release.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm

Post by Isgrimnur »

Steam -71% $49.99 $14.49
It's almost as if people are the problem.