Euro Truck Simulator 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

msduncan

Euro Truck Simulator 2

Post by msduncan »

I mean really YK?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
mori

Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2

Post by mori »

msduncan wrote:I mean really YK?
I bought it as well. Try backing that rig up in the assigned parking spot using a keypad and mouse. It took me over 10 minutes. I think there is quite the business building sim there as well. I bought it just to explore the European cities I most likely will never see. Now I have to get out my wheel and peddles that I put away a few years ago when I retired from GPL.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Welcome to the open roads....
Last edited by jztemple2 on Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's definitely a niche game. There's a lot to love though.

You've got RPG elements, economic sim elements, and a realistic driving simulation all rolled into one polished package.

Yes, on the surface driving from point A to point B is "boring." But it's only as boring as you want to make it. Personally I like to really immerse myself in the game. I crank up the radio, I look at the scenery rolling by. It's a relaxing break from shooting things and solving puzzles. But you have to approach it like a real sim. If you just want to screw around and try to wreck cars or whatever, this isn't the game for you. But if you want to pretend that you're a real truck driver building your business and performing a job, you can have a lot of fun.

Also, it's not as easy as it sounds. Driving these things is hard, particularly if you choose to go manual instead of automatic. You've got hills to contend with, traffic, weather. There have been times when I was kind of daydreaming and hit something because I wasn't focusing. Just like in real life, you can go from cruising on auto-pilot to crashing into the side of a telephone pole in the blink of an eye.

Parking is an entire game unto itself. Parking gives you bonus XP, so it's worth doing if you can do it. But man is it tough.

I would reiterate though, the game is as fun as the effort you put into it. It's not meant to challenge you with unexpected obstacles or tell a grand story. It's there to provide a somewhat realistic representation of driving a big truck on highways across Europe. Either you find that mundane and boring, or you look at it as a unique role to play in a PC game and embrace it.

I'd HIGHLY recommend playing the demo if you're on the fence.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Personally I like the EKR Rock Radio station, about one third of the way down the list. They're doing a two hour classics program right now... Currently I listening to the Yardbirds :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I'll have to try that radio station... haven't found one of the sample ones that I really like yet.

I just finally bought my own (cheap) rig, with the help of a bank loan. I did manage to flip my (borrowed) rig on an early run once.. that was fun. And I've gotten numerous tickets for various infractions. I also liked the job where I went on a ferry to England. Long distance, but not much driving. Then I promptly got a ticket for driving on the wrong side of the road once I got there. Whoops.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

There is a certain pleasure using my racing wheel to drive my truck leisurely in France while listening to French radio.

C'est la vie!
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Ok darnit. I tried the demo and now I wish I had purchased it on sale when they had it on the Steam summer sale.

:(
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

msduncan wrote:Ok darnit. I tried the demo and now I wish I had purchased it on sale when they had it on the Steam summer sale.

:(
Check back on the last day (the 22nd?), they bring back some items from earlier in the sale.
mori

Post by mori »

I got tickets for not using my headlights while driving in the rain. Definitely going to have to get my wheel and peddles set up again. Tried using a gamepad and it did not make things much easier. Also want to use a sequential shifter instead of the default stupid automatic. Doubt I will set up my clutch and gated shifter for this sim, even if they still work.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive seen a lot of American truck mods and I hear a rumor of a American Truck Sim....I'd be more interested in that since I actually know the road rules here lol.....anyone heard about a US version?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Daehawk wrote:Ive seen a lot of American truck mods and I hear a rumor of a American Truck Sim....I'd be more interested in that since I actually know the road rules here lol.....anyone heard about a US version?
I've not heard anything, at least not from the same developers, which is SCS Software. Their last true American truck sim was " 18 Wheels Of Steel: American Long Haul", from December of 2007.

They also did "18 WoS: Extreme Trucker" (Sept. 2009) and "Extreme Trucker 2", (Jan. 2011, which was nothing but an expanded version of the former) but those were not true sims, at least in my eyes. Simplistic and very linear.

The last real American (but developed in Russia by SoftLab-Nsk - Igor Belago was lead designer on this one, who I believe also did the first two "Hard Truck" -1998 and 2000 respectively- games pretty much by himself, IIRC) truck sim I can recall was "Rig 'n Roll" (2010), which I had many hours of fun with, in spite of some unfinished-looking areas.

If you do manage to dig up info on a new American truck sim, please do be sure to post it. I have a fondness for these damn things.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Oh, and Daehawk, don't let your lack of knowledge of "rules of the road" scare you off from "Euro Truck Simulator 2". I've never driven in Europe before, and prior to this sim, I was unaware that in a good portion of Europe, people drive on the right-hand side, just like over here.

And where they drive on the left, it quickly becomes obvious, and the worst thing that can happen is a lot of amusing stories to tell.

Euro Truck Sim 2 is SCS's crowning achievement thus far. You need to at least check out the unlimited-time demo, which gives you plenty of an idea of whether you'd like to buy it.

Hell, I spent like 6 hours on the demo exploring, and wondered whether they gave me the entire game by mistake (they had not). I may have been satisfied enough just playing the demo, but loved it so much that I had no problem handing them full retail price.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Rip

Post by Rip »

Crap, I have been doing pretty good about avoiding collisions. The today I was making a hot chemical run from Bratislava to Sczcecin which is single lane highway most of the way.

So I am feeling ballsy and I am tailgating this other truck at 70-90kmph and see a railroad crossing coming up. As soon as I see it I see the gates start down, so I jump on the brakes but my brakes were crap compared to his or my load was much heavier. Anyway I rearended the shit out of him. One of those ones you know is coming but all you can do is watch it slowly transpire.

24% damage to the truck and 7% to my load. Then I had to milk it the remaining distance as there was no where to stop for repairs. Every 50km or so the engine would die.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rip wrote:Crap, I have been doing pretty good about avoiding collisions. The today I was making a hot chemical run from Bratislava to Sczcecin which is single lane highway most of the way.

So I am feeling ballsy and I am tailgating this other truck at 70-90kmph and see a railroad crossing coming up. As soon as I see it I see the gates start down, so I jump on the brakes but my brakes were crap compared to his or my load was much heavier. Anyway I rearended the shit out of him. One of those ones you know is coming but all you can do is watch it slowly transpire.

24% damage to the truck and 7% to my load. Then I had to milk it the remaining distance as there was no where to stop for repairs. Every 50km or so the engine would die.
Kudos for not taking the easy way out and having your truck towed to the nearest repair shop.
Rip

Post by Rip »

jztemple2 wrote:
Rip wrote:Crap, I have been doing pretty good about avoiding collisions. The today I was making a hot chemical run from Bratislava to Sczcecin which is single lane highway most of the way.

Kudos for not taking the easy way out and having your truck towed to the nearest repair shop.
Not unless it totally dies on me. I like to play hardcore, in cab view only, no bypassing the speed limiter, etc.

Speaking of which I love the speed limiter it makes those hills you can get going 100+kmph on all that much more fun. I haven't been playing as much lately but I am at level 22. Only three garages and 10 drivers so far but I am about ready to open another garage.
mori

Post by mori »

I admit I have not played this much since I purchased the game. The whole getting out and setting up the wheel and peddles is too much. Either that or jumping straight into Borderlands 2 or FM13. I was also disappointed in the ability to explore the region. I do not want to drive from one industrial park to another. I want to drive aside the historical landmarks of Europe.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

1. You can hire other drives? They make you money? Do they have wrecks or are they perfect? And can you jump into their cab to see what they are doing or something?

2. Is a wheel needed? I think thats the only thing I never owned. In other driving games I've HATED the back and forth left and right drifting that a keyboard causes.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I keep hoping for an expansion that adds Southern France and Italy. Some Mediterranean driving would be amazing with the coastal highways!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote:1. You can hire other drives? They make you money? Do they have wrecks or are they perfect? And can you jump into their cab to see what they are doing or something?

2. Is a wheel needed? I think thats the only thing I never owned. In other driving games I've HATED the back and forth left and right drifting that a keyboard causes.
You can hire other drivers and they do make you money. They don't have wrecks. You can jump to their vehicles, but I think it cancels their current job . You can't spectate them, instead you check the driver roster and can see if they are working.

You don't need a wheel. I've been using my 360 controller through my PC and it works fine. Of course I'm used to using the 360 controller to drive as I use it on the Xbox 360 driving games as well, but I don't think it would take long for anyone to adapt to driving with it.
Rip

Post by Rip »

jztemple2 wrote:
Daehawk wrote:1. You can hire other drives? They make you money? Do they have wrecks or are they perfect? And can you jump into their cab to see what they are doing or something?

You can hire other drivers and they do make you money. They don't have wrecks. You can jump to their vehicles, but I think it cancels their current job . You can't spectate them, instead you check the driver roster and can see if they are working.

You don't need a wheel. I've been using my 360 controller through my PC and it works fine. Of course I'm used to using the 360 controller to drive as I use it on the Xbox 360 driving games as well, but I don't think it would take long for anyone to adapt to driving with it.
Yea from what I understand they (your drivers) don't even actually get out on the road so you also can't run into them on the road. It is purely simulated runsbased on loads available and driver skills/locations. You have to buy an office in each location you want to have drivers operating out of and buy them a truck.

I had read somewhere (scs blog I think) that they are planning on an online game next. WorldofTrucks if you will. Hopefully that might end up with being able to drive in many countries. That would rock, they could probably simulate CB channels and we could all meetup at a prearracnged truck stop. :wub:
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Just to be a voice of unreason: you don't NEED a wheel (360 controller works well) but the game is about four times more awesome with one! :)
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

baelthazar wrote:Just to be a voice of unreason: you don't NEED a wheel (360 controller works well) but the game is about four times more awesome with one! :)
FWIW, all my hours with this game were spent using keyboard and mouse only, and I still had a blast. I do have a joystick I could use I suppose, but if I go that far, I might as well unbox my old USB MS Sidewinder wheel-and-pedals setup, although it's so old, I'm not at all sure Win7 would even support it.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I use keyboard/mouse too. Was never interested in buying a wheel, and don't know where my controller is at the moment. Easier to just jump in and use the keyboard, for me.

I still like dropping in and running a job or two, but don't do it nearly as much as I used to. Might need to start looking into some mods.
Rip

Post by Rip »

When I played the demo I used the keyboard. But after I bought it tried the 360 controller and it was far easier. Especially after you assign some buttons.

Now I wish I had more buttons.

Hopefully at some point I will pick up a nice Logitech G27 for cheap. I bid a few times on eBay but they always went higher than I was willing to go.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Rip, have you seen the Logitech Driving Force GT? About half the cost of the G27 and more than enough functionality for my sporadic racing and driving. It is technically listed as a PS3 peripheral but it is fully cross-compatible with PC. You don't get a gearbox, but TBH, I wouldn't know what to do with the gearbox!
KDH

Post by KDH »

I assume some of you may be interested in Pavel Sebor of SCS software speaking about ETS2 and the development teams goals and focus

(*crosses fingers and hopes he hasn't forgotten how to link*)

Part-1

Part-2

each part is about an hour, with Pavel doing 99% of the talking ... anything from DLC plans, American Truck Sim, World-of-Trucks, New Car AI, Physics ... and, of course, company structure and the development team's goals and focus

needless to say, you can ignore the chat stream on the left if you'd like to maintain your hopes for human society going forward
Ain't nobody got time for that
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Well, it isn't the Mediterranean but it IS an add-on:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/p ... 2-go-east/" target="_blank
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wouldn't it be nice it they added the smoke particles effects from the tech demo of Spin Tires to ETS2?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That's pretty impressive. I'm imagining what they could do if they could incorporate dynamic weather and temperature, ie rain forming puddles and freezing over in colder places.

Just tried the tech demo. Very impressive:

http://www.spintires.com/" target="_blank

The mud and the water are all very realistic. Impressively modeled fluid dynamics. You drive through water, and the water displaces, and there are even currents. Drove through a river with a lighter truck (they have three in the dev demo) and I was surprised to see that my truck was being pushed around by the current! I couldn't gain enough traction to go forward as I kept being pushed backwards, so I rescued the truck. Then I drove back to the river for a second attempt and made it by compensating my driving angle and getting an upper hand on the river. Again, very impressive. Now I'm imagining an 1insane sequel using this tech. The first 1nsane was quite innovative for its time, including open terrain and realistic vehicle damage.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

It has always amazed me that SCS has always (even now) managed to create these very pretty and complex sims, and still fit them each on one single CD Rom. I think ETS2 was just a 600 MB download.

I was going to joke that adding physics from SpinTires would likely quadruple the size of ETS2. But then I downloaded the tech demo for SpinTires, saw how tiny it was, and am further amazed.

These small companies must be really efficient with their coding or something, because indie games are almost always very tiny compared with their AAA counterparts, and yet manage to get very good graphics and game elements in there.

I realize that indie graphics can't hold a candle to AAA graphics, and that this is where a lot of the bloat comes from, but I can't help but admire how good some of these indie titles can look, even when inside such a small package.
KDH

Post by KDH »

It would appear that ETS2 has updated to version 1.6, bringing with it the Alpha birth of worldoftrucks.com/en
We are happy to announce that World of Trucks web is available for public!

In order to activate the communication between Euro Truck Simulator 2 and World of Trucks your game must be updated to the latest version 1.6.

The most notable 1.6 game features and improvements are:

Photo Studio - includes Photo-mode and Screenshot Manager allowing upload of your best screenshots to World of Trucks
Online profiles - ability to connect your profile to your World of Trucks account
New Iveco Stralis Hi-Way sounds recorded from actual truck
Individual air-horn sounds
Realistic fuel consumption option
Adaptive automatic transmission option
Shorter jobs generation probability increased
License plate changes fixed

To make is easier on our download servers and your nerves, initially we will start by offering just the torrent links before we get download mirrors up and running.

If you are a Steam user, it is much simpler, the game in Windows as well as Linux incarnation will be updated automatically - the new version is immediately available in Steam library.

We hope that you enjoy this alpha and that it will whet your appetite for upcoming updates in the World of Trucks universe!

:horse:

Here is Squirrel's YouTube overview of 1.6 .. with mention of 1.7 coming before oct-31 (pumpkin Volvo), and the new traffic AI in 1.8 (soon'ish) and, finally, the possibility of American Truck Simulator in early 2014
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks for the link. I see GamersGate has this for $8.50....maybe I can catch a sale on it when I have spare cash hahaha. If it was that on Steam I could get it...doh!

Love the truck World thing and seeing stuff about American trucks.

EDIT: Crap..Squirrel said we should log into WoT and register our names before others do...but it wont let people without the game create one. It requires a cd key. Thats silly. Also I thought this was going to be a full new online only truck game. Seems to just be a hang out for ETS2 players.
KDH

Post by KDH »

re: hang out

yes, at this time .. very early alpha

the gamersgate sale does appear to be a STEAM key. I paid $13.60 for it a month or so back, so you'd be stylin' :dance:

:)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya but by my post I mean I dont have cash to buy it but I do have enough on Steam lol. Heck even then im not sure I would...really want ARMA II to go on sale so I can play DayZ.....but this looks so fun.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just logged onto Steam and the 1.6.0 update hasn't occurred for me yet; in fact I see in the Steam forum there's a 1.6.1 update to the update already out. I shall patiently wait...

In the meantime, for those who might want more information on what ETS2 is about, there's a great video called "Trucking Handbook" on YouTube that shows a lot of the features. It also has a great narrator as well :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I know there are mods out for this. Is there no way for owners to mod in stuff other than trucks? Like mod in that smoke particle effect or something?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, turns out I'm a dummy, I wasn't getting the latest 1.6.1 update because the properties for ETS2 in Steam were set at opting into the 1.4.1 beta :roll: . As soon as I opted out of all betas the 1.6.1 update was downloaded and installed.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

"Take your time."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hmmmmm I got my 360 controller working on my PC now. I wonder how this game controls with it? Ill check and see if the demo I played earlier supports the 360 controller and find out I guess :)