Euro Truck Simulator 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2

Post by Smoove_B »

What type of sick bastard puts negotiating a European traffic circle with an 18 wheeler as part of the tutorial? I think I drove a quarter of a mile and wracked up $2,000 in damages to the truck. OUTTA MY WAY!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I really love the new truck sounds in the new patch. They feel more atmospheric, more like you're driving an actual truck. Quite an improvement on the originals, in my opinion.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Played a few hours today. Got a speeding ticket, cursed at people passing me on the highway, made really terrible turns and generally disregarded safety to deliver wood pulp as fast as possible. It was a surprisingly good time. :D
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Smoove_B wrote:It was a surprisingly good time. :D
Who knew, right? lol
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Seriously. I need to look into this radio thing. If I can listen to a podcast or a audio book? This will go to a whole new level. :D
Rip

Post by Rip »

Smoove_B wrote:Seriously. I need to look into this radio thing. If I can listen to a podcast or a audio book? This will go to a whole new level. :D
Radio stations are awesome. I live listening to European stations as I drive across Europe. I just wish I spoke more languages.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The radio stations are easily the best part. I found some British stations that were freaking amazing. I haven't played this in a while, but I might load it up this week for a bit.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: Patch today .. 85MB

Euro Truck Simulator 2 goes 64-bit: 1.16 update now live
Cobbled-Together patch notes:

New large truck dealer / showroom
Truck fixes: shadows in Scania R, Scania Streamline, Volvo FH16 2012, Renault Magnum 2009 + sideskirts; mirror in MAN TGX, Renault Premium holes and collision
Paintjob fixes: Raven for DAF, MAN, Heavy Duty
Cargo: removed Christmas Gifts, fixed car transporter, fixed helicopter texture and straps
Reduced stalling: bigger memory pool in 64-bit builds, better memory handling, delayed shadow loading, random look selection, sound accessories
Improved memory management on 32-bit OS
Fixed free roam check in the Careerist achievement
Map fixes
Truck dealer: fixed floating truck dealer in Glasgow, fixed entrance gap, top of surrounding wall placed higher, added missing interior wall, fixed entrance retarder, prefab pedestal height
Fixed wrong directions near Salzburg
Truck dealer: deleted locator
re: American Truck (January 26)

Inside SCS Software and 1 hour with American Truck Simulator (aka: Squirrel goes to Prague)
Ain't nobody got time for that
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I just uploaded a short video clip showing me picking up a cargo in Rostock, this is using the new 64bit executable. To appreciate the detail, adjust your settings to 1080p and go full screen. And it's still not as pretty as it was in-game, due to my using Windows MovieMaker to trim down the clip.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Normally I don't go for mods, but I was looking for something a little different to change things up. I downloaded a mod for a Kensworth K100. What a beauty. This thing is a beast! If you like your trucks to sound throaty, then you'll like this. It has a whole new set of sounds. It's even too loud, to a point. But it drives beautifully. Take a look at this bad boy:

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
wanderingoutlaw

Post by wanderingoutlaw »

jztemple2 wrote:I just uploaded a short video clip showing me picking up a cargo in Rostock, this is using the new 64bit executable. To appreciate the detail, adjust your settings to 1080p and go full screen. And it's still not as pretty as it was in-game, due to my using Windows MovieMaker to trim down the clip.
I guess delivering Christmas presents is a yearlong job. I thought that cargo would have disappeared when the Christmas Gifts event ended a couple of weeks ago.

Have you noticed any performance difference with the 64 bit? I haven't noticed any difference.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

wanderingoutlaw wrote:Have you noticed any performance difference with the 64 bit? I haven't noticed any difference.
No, but I was getting a rock solid 60 fps before, so I don't think I would have seen anything. Also make sure you are getting to the 64bit executable; the desktop shortcut might still be launching the 32bit one. The way to make sure you use the right executable is to launch from your Steam Library; you should get a pop-up with all the different launch options.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Latest update on the SCS Software Blog, Scandinavia reveal
As we are getting closer to the finish line on ETS2 Scandinavia DLC, it's time to show you more of what we have in store for you. Here is a small scale map to reveal the destination cities we are putting into this world expansion. This little map doesn't tell the whole story - the highways, roads and city streets are now a much more detailed system than what we currently have in the older parts of our ETS2 universe.

We have dedicated a lot of time and attention to recreating Scandinavian sights and landmarks in order to make the scenery more vibrant and lifelike. We tried hard to distill the looks and sights of the region to stay true to its spirit, and in the process created a lot of new assets to make driving more varied and the exploration more interesting.

The scenery is additionally supplemented with new delivery types and unique locations such as Scania and Volvo Trucks factories. Since ferry transport plays important role in this area, Scandinavia DLC also will feature numerous ports and deliveries aimed at supporting those locations.
Also on the blog, a map of the new DLC area and some pretty pics.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just a bit of fun, a short YouTube video showing me switching from low beams to high beams.
wanderingoutlaw

jztemple2 wrote:Latest update on the SCS Software Blog, Scandinavia reveal
Thanks for posting the link; I must have checked their blog yesterday before they posted the map and pics. I need to finish exploring the roads and cities I can visit (in the base game + going east expansion) before thinking about buying and installing Scandinavia.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I haven't gotten any of their other DLCs, but I'm already thinking of getting this due to the amount of detail they've putting in. It looks impressive. They've designed the truck factories like Scania and Volvo, and you'll be able to pick up specific and unique jobs for them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Experimenting again with truck mods. This time, it's a Kamaz. I have to say, Russian modders make some good trucks. I think by the same guy who made the Kensworth K100. Quite a few neat details about this truck. The key in the ignition turns when you start the truck. When you change gears, you hear the air release. The gear shifter moves as gears change. There's even an option in the customization screen to add exhaust fumes. On the whole, it's the cheapest truck available at around 35,000 euros at the base price, though that does come at a price as, hilariously enough it features the slowest engine in the entire game at 230hp with the base engine, though it comes with many different hp variations and it goes up fairly high. It's a fun truck to drive.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rumpy wrote:Experimenting again with truck mods. This time, it's a Kamaz.
Do you have a link? This looks interesting.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, can't quite remember the link, but I think it's this one:

http://ets2.lt/en/kamaz-5410-4/

The truck should be found in the Renault dealer. Should be noted that I think the download leads to a newer version of the truck anyway, called the Kamaz HQ Remake 2.0, but I've kept it pretty basic on my end with the configuration.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Loving the new rendering changes. Sunsets are now more dramatic, complete with light shafts:

Also, I'm liking some of the other changes too. The throttle response and gear changes seem to be more realistic in that there's a bit of a delay in the response. Some have complained about that, but I find it more immersive as you wouldn't expect a big heavy truck to respond right away to gear changes.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The game is so detailed you cant help but be entertained with it. Makes me want a wheel though. Im very much looking forward to the US trucks game.

Video of American Truck Simulator alpha version

I wish they could add the smoke effects from Spin Tires into it like in the following video. Ive wanted the smoke and mud from Spin Tires in my online tank games..but not yet. Shame it would be perfect.

Spin Tires truck and smoke

Also some mods. A HD Textures one. And a Graphics one.

Realistic Physics anyone?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
wanderingoutlaw

I've been enjoying the beta for ETS2. I don't mind the gearing shifts, but I did have to readjust my braking slider with the beta as I wrecked a few times since the brake time was much longer.

I hope they bring the moon back. Even without the moon, though, the night time is now too light. Whereas, it was too dark (with the moon) before.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Has anyone picked up the Scandinavia DLC yet? I'll see if I can hold out to the Steam Summer Sale.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, continuing in my quest for older trucks, I found this rather interesting one. It's an FSC Star 200C, another russian truck, and it's got the sound and feel of an old truck. 150HP! Better for smaller loads, but it's doable with the bigger ones too. I just took one of the bigger loads in the base game and it slowly chugged along and it really did feel heavy. There's just something about this truck that makes it fun to drive, if you like challenges. It's got quite a bit of charm.

Can be downloaded here:
http://ets2downloads.com/trucks/fsc-star-200
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Very cool truck! It's been a while since I tried one with such low horsepower, it might be the way to spice up an ETS2 session.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that's what I've found myself doing as I don't have any of the DLCs just yet, though next sale I'll see about getting the Scandinavian DLC and maybe Going East. It provides a little bit of a challenge and keeps it interesting. This particular truck is really slow at getting going with heavy loads. I've found myself having to gun it to make the chunnel ramps, and even then it barely made it. Just crept by about at 7kph before it made it over. Oh and this truck drinks fuel like there's no tomorrow. I've had to stop at nearly every gas station on the way just to make sure I'd have enough fuel on my latest haul. Of course, it doesn't help that it has a 150liter tank. :lol:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rip

Post by Rip »

I'm holding out for the US version.

I didn't get the game on steam so I haven't messed with DLC.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Since the last update, it seems the AI has gotten dumb again. I'm usually quite careful, but I've gotten into some collisions with cars ramming right into me, with my blinkers on. One such example when I was making a turn with my view facing the turning direction, when a car comes at me from my blind spot. A few other times with cars ramming me right from behind and sideways when I've had the right of way.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Next entry into the Euro Truck Museum of Antiques is a 1980's Volvo F10. This is probably one of my favourite trucks that I've downloaded. It's an awesome truck, and a serious workhorse, or several horses if you get my drift. It pulls like nobody's business, even at just 480hp as it has an enormous amount of torque. It also has tons of configuration, including engines up to 1000hp, but I was honestly surprised at how good the 480hp engine was, and there are also different transmissions and chassis available. Shares the same sounds as the K100, I think.

Now the bad: Unfortunately the steering on this truck feels a little broken. Maybe it has something to do with recent physics changes, but it seems to pivot instead of feeling like you're actually steering, and the suspension feels too stiff. I've also encountered a problem where the chassis was too long to attach to a trailer. Also, despite all the options, there doesn't seem to be an option to remove the decoration from the truck.

Other than that though, great truck that's fun to drive. I recommend it:

Volvo F10 8x4
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

So I've just come back from a 25 day road trip, leaving central Florida for spots in Kansas, Colorado and Utah. About seven thousand miles on the road. I get back and after tucking the wife away, I can have some time on the computer. Steam has updated a bunch of games, so I try this and that and just can't find one I'm interested in. So I fire up ETS2, tune in the EKR Rock Stream where they have some Stevie Nicks and Boston and drive around central Germany. Funny way to relax I guess :wink:
Last edited by jztemple2 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Normann

Post by Normann »

Such a great game.

A few months ago I bought the Oculus Rift DK2 (sold it eventually) and played this and other titles. ETS 2 was awesome with the Rift. It was low resolution and all but it was amazing. I know it will be time before VR will be able to run this high res on a mainstream computer but it was a great sneak peak.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New entry on the SCS Software blog: It's all about the Tyres/Tires
Today we would like to introduce one of the features that you can expect with the upcoming Euro Truck Simulator 2 update 1.22 - Tyre grades. We have already mentioned that we are looking into it in one of our earlier blogs. We are happy that it finally came to its fruition.

Inspired by actual European regulations, we tried to adapt reality to fit our game. All tyres are now graded based on three parameters: fuel efficiency, wet grip, and noise levels. The game takes tyre properties into account, so real life tyre grades correspond with in-game behaviour. Of course by long wear or damage, tyre quality may degrade.

We will now also support different tyre sizes. In the original game, we referred to a tyre (back then actually the whole wheel) just by its name. We are now enriching the simulation to include support for alternate tyre sizes, so the size is added to the naming convention.

While revisiting the tyres, we thought that it would be cool to add support for what we see in the tuning and modding community - tyre coloring. Stock tyres just sport the standard rubber look of course, but for additional tuning effect, the colour of designated parts of a tyre (like the manufacturer names or logos) can be altered. The in-game support is quite comfortable, allowing to choose the particular colour with a comfortable colour picker widget.

We are about to enter internal testing phase of this feature. As usual, before the final release, you can expect a round of Steam open betas - for those of you ready to help us out with community QA, or just cannot wait but experience any new features as soon as possible.

Oh, there is also a new original manufacturer-branded DLC coming, which will greatly expand your tyre choice ;).
Holman

Post by Holman »

Does anyone know a release date for American Truck Simulator? Reading up on ETS2 has made me interested in the next one of it's imminent.

Also, how do these games play with mouse a keyboard? Is a PC steering wheel strictly necessary?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My XBox controller suits my needs just fine.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I use an X360 controller and it works great.
wanderingoutlaw

Holman wrote:Does anyone know a release date for American Truck Simulator? Reading up on ETS2 has made me interested in the next one of it's imminent.

Also, how do these games play with mouse a keyboard? Is a PC steering wheel strictly necessary?
I play with just mouse and keyboard with no problems.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Thanks, all.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Some excellent news for modders and those who use mods, SCS Blender Tools - Full Set!
Today we would like to announce the release of SCS Blender Tools version 1.0.

After some two years of hard work, the alternate toolchain for modders now comes with pretty much the same power and flexibility as our internal Maya-based set of tools. It now supports complete creation of any type of items: trucks, ambient AI vehicles, models, prefabs with support of all possible locators including AI traffic lines, you name it.

Up until now, modders were able to pull off some incredible things, thanks to reverse-engineering our formats and creating powerful tools on their own. It is always exciting for us to see so many great mods that have been released, and yet more are still appearing. Admittedly, we are coming quite late to the party now; three years after ETS2 was released. So why did we even bother?

First of all, we really believe that our Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator games have a lot of longevity in them. We definitely plan to improve and enhance them for many years, and with the World of Trucks connecting them eventually under one umbrella, there are still huge opportunities for new exciting mods to appear.

However, even more importantly, we would like to explore new opportunities with User-Generated Content. It is a great inspiration for many game developers to see what Valve is doing with their games like Counter Strike: GO, Team Fortress 2 or Dota 2. Their ability to cooperate with fan community and to integrate UGC is fabulous.

With upcoming support through Steam Workshop - yes, here is a little pre-annoucement right here! ;) - we would love to find a way to invite the best mod content creators to offer their creations through an official channel, or possibly even to pursue a business model that would allow for it to become a part of the standard game content. But to even start thinking about it, we need to make sure that such user content is authored and maintained through a standard tool, a tool which we have under control, which we can update whenever needed, a tool we ourselves are comfortable using. Modders know that our game formats are sometimes changing when we need to make room for a new feature, requiring re-touching and re-exporting of older models. Waiting until (and if) a 3rd party tool support catches up with our changed formats is simply out of question for content that should be working immediately after we update our game. So just to open the gate for officially supported mods, we do need a set of official and well-supported tools.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Not much going on here since American Truck Simulator has been grabbing the news, but there's something new coming to ETS2; Vive la France!
It's time to start showing you more stuff from the various new things we have in the pipeline. We are not a one-project-at-a-time company any more, there are several new cool things under development in our labs now!

Euro Truck Simulator 2 map team is hard at work on a new major DLC expansion for the game. We are expanding the little bit of France we have in the game now to cover the whole country. This also includes a lot of touches to the existing areas (total overhaul of Paris region for example). The changed parts of the world will of course still be accessible in the base game, even if they are upgraded visually.

Here is a couple of appetizer images from a more rural part of the world. It's work in progress still (you will notice some placeholders for new trees and shrubs in some of the shots)...
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

jztemple2 wrote:Not much going on here since American Truck Simulator has been grabbing the news, but there's something new coming to ETS2; Vive la France!
It's time to start showing you more stuff from the various new things we have in the pipeline. We are not a one-project-at-a-time company any more, there are several new cool things under development in our labs now!

Euro Truck Simulator 2 map team is hard at work on a new major DLC expansion for the game. We are expanding the little bit of France we have in the game now to cover the whole country. This also includes a lot of touches to the existing areas (total overhaul of Paris region for example). The changed parts of the world will of course still be accessible in the base game, even if they are upgraded visually.

Here is a couple of appetizer images from a more rural part of the world. It's work in progress still (you will notice some placeholders for new trees and shrubs in some of the shots)...
That's nice. I thought it odd that Spain and most of France were omitted.