Dead or Alive Ultimate???

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

portnoy

Dead or Alive Ultimate???

Post by portnoy »

I haven't seen any chatter about this title, I am a little excited about the prospect of beating the crap (or more truthfully, getting the crap kicked out of me) out of someone across the country.
But, I am a little worried about lag, so I will wait for the reviews to start pouring in.
It is Tecmo, and after all of the effort that they have poured in Ninja Gaiden I hope that they support the fighting game just as well.
Slow morning at work, so I am rambling.
Devil

Post by Devil »

IN!
TheMissingLink

Post by TheMissingLink »

It got an 8.8 from Gamespot...watched the video review...it was what I expected, I guess. I don't know if I'm going to purchase it or not. It just doesn't seem deep enough...Greg Kasavin brought up a point in the review...he stated that people can just pick up the controller and execute an impressive combo and also newbies can pick the controller up and mash their way to victory over experienced players.

I remember getting my Xbox at Christmas and playing DoA3 for days to perfect my skills...only to have a friend come over, who's almost notorious for mashing during fighting games, mash the buttons, and whoop my ass. Marvel vs Capcom 2, on the other hand, is a different story. There's no way a newbie could beat an experienced player. I guess that's what I'm ultimately looking for.

Then again, it is a fighting game...and if the online is smooth for players...who knows.
Member of the GG UT2k4 9000 Frag Club
Member of the GG UT2k4 Triple Digit Suicide Club
TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

Post by denoginizer »

TheMissingLink wrote:newbies can pick the controller up and mash their way to victory over experienced players.
That sounds like my kind of fighting game. :wink: I have never been good at them. I tried to play Capcom vs SNK online a while back and got my clock cleaned pretty consistantly. But I am looking forward to this one.
XBLive Tags:
denoginizer
bigpunisherJT
portnoy

Post by portnoy »

:D

I will be picking up my copy later today, I've never really been sold on 2d fighters in the last few generations of consoles, I always feel like I am trying to recapture some sort of 8-bit feeling.

I am hoping that I will able to squeeze some online time tonight with the game, but at the same time GTA is also beckoning, and well, less than 2 weeks til Halo, damn, I am not going to be able to graduate this term!
denoginizer

Post by denoginizer »

I was in EB today and was told it won't be in until Thursday. Unfortunate since I have today off. I just read some things about the online virtual arcade stuff. I'm looking forward to this one more and more.
XBLive Tags:
denoginizer
bigpunisherJT
Fellow

Post by Fellow »

Still have this sucker pre-ordered, and will most likely be getting it sometime next week. Which means I'll have about a week's worth of playtime, before Halo 2 arrives. Which means I'll have about a week's worth of playtime, before Half-Life 2 arrives. Which means I'll have about a week's worth of playtime, before Vampire Bloodlines and World of Warcraft arrive.
GuidoTKP

Post by GuidoTKP »

TheMissingLink wrote:It got an 8.8 from Gamespot...watched the video review...it was what I expected, I guess. I don't know if I'm going to purchase it or not. It just doesn't seem deep enough...Greg Kasavin brought up a point in the review...he stated that people can just pick up the controller and execute an impressive combo and also newbies can pick the controller up and mash their way to victory over experienced players.

I remember getting my Xbox at Christmas and playing DoA3 for days to perfect my skills...only to have a friend come over, who's almost notorious for mashing during fighting games, mash the buttons, and whoop my ass. Marvel vs Capcom 2, on the other hand, is a different story. There's no way a newbie could beat an experienced player. I guess that's what I'm ultimately looking for.

Then again, it is a fighting game...and if the online is smooth for players...who knows.
I've played DOA pretty heavily since the Dreamcast days. It and Soul Calibur are my favorite fighters. While you can have some measure of success button mashing against an experienced player, the better player will win pretty consistantly. Newbs just go nuts on offense. You can counter their silly asses to death. This game is by no means Tekken, but I consider that a good thing. Think of it more like a shooter, in the sense that the mechanics are simple, but the player with the faster reflexes and better understanding of the mechanics of the game will usually be the winner.
"All I can ever think of when I see BBT is, "that guy f***ed Angelina Jolie? Seriously?" Then I wonder if Angelina ever wakes up in the middle of the night to find Brad Pitt in the shower, huddled in a corner furiously scrubbing at his d*** and going, 'I can't get the smell of Billy Bob off of this thing.' Then I try to think of something, anything, else." --Brian

"Would you go up to a girl in a bar and say 'Pardon me, miss, but before I spend a lot of time chatting you up, and buying you drinks, I'd like to know if you do anal. Because if not, that's a deal-breaker for me.'"
-- Mr. Fed
TheMissingLink

Post by TheMissingLink »

Went in to purchase it - but alas, stupid eastern WA state doesn't have it yet. :(
Member of the GG UT2k4 9000 Frag Club
Member of the GG UT2k4 Triple Digit Suicide Club
TheMissingLink on PSN
portnoy

Post by portnoy »

I have had my copy less than a day, and aside from DOA 1 Ultimate being a near throwaway disk (aside from nostalgia) I love this game. It's been a long time since I have enjoyed a fighting game, and well, I am looking forward to online play.

I joined a room and watched a match while chatting occurred with others, looked flawless and lagless, I think that I would probably prefer just a 2 person room, and only the chatter between the fighters, but perhaps with a lot of actual friends and not some random folks it might be cool to have a large group.