Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:46 pm Yeah, I gave up at some point. Not only was it insanely difficult but it was also very much a grind (as I recall). I honestly felt like it was a letdown after beating the base game.
The worst is the level scaling. You never feel powerful enough to take something on because of it. When it comes to the rest of the enemies, it's fine, but when you're dealing with something that deals massive crits, it becomes a massive problem, and it becomes one of the worst parts of the game to me.

Honestly, while I've enjoyed Odyssey, I feel I much preferred Origins. Bayek was a more interesting well-rounded character who loved helping people and people loved him. and it felt more like a complete game, with a better story.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Somethings been wrong with Team Fortress 2 all day. I cant get it to load and run. I tries and pops up the screen when it finds a server...but the 3 loading bar pips are all that ever load..nothing else loads past that..usually it continues to load ..but nada. And the only way out it to reboot. Not sure whats going on.

I even deleted it and reinstalled.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:51 pm I even deleted it and reinstalled.
Just to be clear, when you keep saying you 'deleted' games, you actually uninstalled them correctly, right? You didn't go in and literally just delete the install directory?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:25 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:51 pm I even deleted it and reinstalled.
Just to be clear, when you keep saying you 'deleted' games, you actually uninstalled them correctly, right? You didn't go in and literally just delete the install directory?
Right. I used Steam to uninstall it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had hoped so, but you keep using the word 'delete' rather than 'uninstall' when you have problems with games, and I wanted to be sure (to be fair, I have occasionally heard other people use the words interchangeably, but usually not people with a knowledge of tech.)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Reminds me of my Dad who's come to an age of using the words File and Folder interchangeably when referring to a folder on a computer, leading to hilarious moments in confusion when talking to me about doing something to either of them. I'm like, well, what do you want me to do exactly?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:41 am Reminds me of my Dad who's come to an age of using the words File and Folder interchangeably when referring to a folder on a computer, leading to hilarious moments in confusion when talking to me about doing something to either of them. I'm like, well, what do you want me to do exactly?
Well, the Folder (or Directory) on your computer actually is just a type of File. They aren't interchangeable, but as long as he just calls them all Files, he's fine.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its been long enough that I want a sequel to that Mad Max game we got after the movie came out. Make it a thunder dome city hub instanced MMO lol. Customized cars and engines for open world mayhem with an arena in the city hub for pvp 1v1 fights under the dome. Garages instead of guilds. Gas instead of coin. Vroom vroom.

On a serious note though Id like a Mad Max 2 game .
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, it just becomes difficult when he tries to refer to something in particular when it's something else entirely.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It goes right along with, "I installed it on my desktop."

That's the icon.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh yeah, that one.... :twisted: :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Strong Bad Voice: <deleted!>
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:34 pm Oh yeah, that one.... :twisted: :D
I've found that one and "uninstalled = deleted" go hand in hand (you can see where this is going.)

I had a LAN friend once who was always out of hard drive space when it came time to install a new game. I'd ask if he had uninstalled the games we weren't playing anymore, and he always told me he had. Then, one time when he mentioned that he'd installed something to his desktop, I actually questioned him (just like I did Daehawk) about what, exactly he meant when he said that he 'deleted old games.'

Sure enough, he was 'uninstalling' them by deleting the shortcut off of his desktop. :grund:
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, and technically I could see why they would think so, especially if they perhaps used a Mac in the past, as Macs have had icon-based installation and deletion where you could simply drag icons over to the trash to uninstall them. If that's the case, I could see why there'd be confusion that on Windows it doesn't work that way.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

All you had to do was follow the damn train, CJ! Narrated by the voice of Thomas & Friends from the point of view of the Engine. This parody is hilarious! Probably the best thing I've seen in a long time. There are also cameos!

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was watching an old battle from the original Battlestar Galactica. Still would love a game based on it where you controlled only the Galactica and could upgrade it and your Vipers and run missions. Sorta like the old Star Wolves game was. Maybe mix it with Nexus The Jupiter Incident. I really would love a mothership sim where I simply upgrade it and control everything but the ship handle fights and such while I send out fighters. on down time research new tech and send out scouting and mining teams.

Or like Nexus allow me to have a capital ship but as the game goes on I get a better one on occasion and move up in tech. Sorta like a Babylon 5 game and have a Small cap ship then a better one on up to a Omega Destroyer or Warlock. And you could be different races so could play their sides too.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Carrier Command/Carrier Command 2 are a lot like that, except I don't think they have anything in the way of research and tech upgrades. And they aren't space games, obviously.

There's always Battlecruiser 3000 and it's descendants... :shifty:

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

:angry-boxing: :animals-dogrun: :violence-snipersmiley:

Theres no emoji making the sign of the cross.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:11 pm Was watching an old battle from the original Battlestar Galactica. Still would love a game based on it where you controlled only the Galactica and could upgrade it and your Vipers and run missions.
So what's wrong with Deadlock? Too big of a scope? Too much strategy in your survival game?

My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its turn based. Tried it..cant get into it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:27 pm Its turn based. Tried it..cant get into it.
Maybe add that to your description of your dream game, because honestly - it would seem like Deadlock is a nice fit.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Unagi wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:04 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:27 pm Its turn based. Tried it..cant get into it.
Maybe add that to your description of your dream game, because honestly - it would seem like Deadlock is a nice fit.
It would be. Its so close. Seems Im stuck with older games like Nexus and Star Wolves.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I recently stumbled onto the best Japanese Hentai game I've ever played, hands down. I liked it so much I even found the one obscure website that sells the English version and paid $50 for it, despite having a hacked version that played just fine (Honestly didn't know it had been released in English when I downloaded the hacked game which, BTW, is the normal way I get Japanese games that aren't released here). Problem is the subject matter is so politically incorrect I can't post about it here (though it was a major release in Japan) and my few friends who are also perverts like myself aren't into Anime or Manga, to put it mildly. So I just play it and keep my enthusiasm to myself. :oops: :mrgreen: :P
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Apollo wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:34 pm I recently stumbled onto the best Japanese Hentai game I've ever played, hands down. I liked it so much I even found the one obscure website that sells the English version and paid $50 for it, despite having a hacked version that played just fine (Honestly didn't know it had been released in English when I downloaded the hacked game which, BTW, is the normal way I get Japanese games that aren't released here). Problem is the subject matter is so politically incorrect I can't post about it here (though it was a major release in Japan) and my few friends who are also perverts like myself aren't into Anime or Manga, to put it mildly. So I just play it and keep my enthusiasm to myself. :oops: :mrgreen: :P
Hands down.... where?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Apollo wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:34 pm I recently stumbled onto the best Japanese Hentai game I've ever played, hands down. I liked it so much I even found the one obscure website that sells the English version and paid $50 for it, despite having a hacked version that played just fine (Honestly didn't know it had been released in English when I downloaded the hacked game which, BTW, is the normal way I get Japanese games that aren't released here). Problem is the subject matter is so politically incorrect I can't post about it here (though it was a major release in Japan) and my few friends who are also perverts like myself aren't into Anime or Manga, to put it mildly. So I just play it and keep my enthusiasm to myself. :oops: :mrgreen: :P
Well, not exactly 'to yourself'.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Sending you a PM as I am curious. Also, do you follow sydsnap on YouTube? She reviews Japanese sexy stuff.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Hipolito wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:25 am Sending you a PM as I am curious. Also, do you follow sydsnap on YouTube? She reviews Japanese sexy stuff.
Yes, Sydsnap is actually one of the few video bloggers I follow on youtube and instagram. Sydsnap, her husband gigguk, and their pals cdawgva, and joey the anime man are where I get pretty much all my anime/manga information, though I mainly watch them for entertainment rather than info.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This goes here NOW! ...JB...woooooooooooooo!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

D&D's oldest rival is making a comeback thanks to the developer of Sniper Elite

Rebellion has acquired Tunnels & Trolls, history's second ever tabletop role-playing game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From PC Gamer, Vice City turns 20 on PC—here's our original 93% review from 2003
In 2003, I didn't appreciate how good Ray Liotta was in the role of Tommy Vercetti, Vice City's loudmouth protagonist. I did think he was hilarious, but only looking back do I realize how different, and how natural, his performance was compared to the Command & Conquer cutscenes I grew up on. Even 20 years later, Liotta's performance runs circles around the likes of Crime Boss: Rockay City.

Former PC Gamer reviewer Alec Meer didn't quite agree with me, calling Liotta a "so-so" actor (Goodfellas, Alec!? Cop Land?? C'mon!). But context is key. In the early 2000s Liotta was certainly on a streak of so-so movies, and it was really his stand-out performance in 2019's Marriage Story that reinvigorated his career. Meer goes on to highlight the "legendary" Dennis Hopper, also in Vice City, and I think it's safe to say Liotta has since entered that canon, too.

Liotta will always be best-known for Goodfellas, except among a very specific audience—teenagers who played videogames in the early 2000s. Even if Vice City is an unabashed knock-off of Scarface, it was the clear start of Rockstar's ambition to tell Hollywood-caliber mobster stories using real Hollywood actors. No wonder it scored a rare 93% in PC Gamer.

Here's our original review, published in the July 2003 UK issue of PC Gamer magazine.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bit of Battlefront goodness. I remember playing this mission. Was fun. Didn't agree with how her story ended.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Here's some real soldiers playing "Ready or Not" the modern SWAT shooter. Dang, these guys are keeping it real.

My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I used to love tactical games. I made an attempt to get back into them a couple of years ago, but the tactical shooter community drove me away. Every forum, every chat was like being in an extremist militia meeting. They rhetoric, the bigotry, the conspiracy theories, the Trumpisms - it was packed with it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:34 am I used to love tactical games. I made an attempt to get back into them a couple of years ago, but the tactical shooter community drove me away. Every forum, every chat was like being in an extremist militia meeting. They rhetoric, the bigotry, the conspiracy theories, the Trumpisms - it was packed with it.
I feel the same way about many in those communities, but I like the tactical games so I only play solo and minimize any social contact. I have many happy hours in Door Kickers 1 & 2 and have figured out which Discord channel are useful for me and which to stay away from.

Unfortunately, unlike DK and DK2, many of these games are really tailored for coop play :(
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:15 am Was in the mood for a JRPG yesterday this week. The new Star Ocean: The Divine Force was getting decent reviews (around 75%) and I thought it might be kinda cool. Yeesh...I really should have known better.

It's a poor man's version of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 where instead of great characters in an interesting world, you get a cast made up entirely of creepy looking porcelain dolls. The world is large but completely lifeless. Feels like you're running through a model. It uses what I assume is an complex action RPG combat system. I can only assume because it's explained solely - and very poorly - through a series of massive text dumps. So far, I've just been button mashing and hoping for the best. Enemies have been completely generic and boring. They may have some unique attacks or abilities, but the combat moves so quickly that I really can't even tell what I'm doing. I'm simply running around attacking whatever the camera happens to lock onto. Every other system in the game (leveling, improving stats, etc) is also done via text dumps, often with multiple complex systems dumped on you back-to-back. And did I mention that the UI uses the smallest font imaginable? Seriously, SO tiny with no option to increase it (not just my bad eyes, this is a common complaint in nearly every review). The music sucks, the voice acting is merely ok, and the entire premise - which looked like it could be really cool (sci-fi/fantasy mash-up where a space traveler is marooned on a low-tech planet) - is just completely uninteresting.

I thought this might be a throwback to the PS2 JRPG days, but I hate pretty much everything about this game through 4 hours. Feels like I would have been better off just throwing $60 in the trash. Oh well.
I just finished Star Ocean up this morning and my initial thoughts were exactly like yours. BUT I forced myself to keep playing because I had just spent $45 on the game. Gradually the game, it's combat and even its characters grew on me. Don't get me wrong this is no game of the year contender, but I don't regret playing through it's roughly 30 hour main campaign.

The combat does get a bit more strategic as the game goes along, but it never gets as good as Xenoblade 1-3 or even the last Tales game.
FTE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:07 am
Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:34 am I used to love tactical games. I made an attempt to get back into them a couple of years ago, but the tactical shooter community drove me away. Every forum, every chat was like being in an extremist militia meeting. They rhetoric, the bigotry, the conspiracy theories, the Trumpisms - it was packed with it.
I feel the same way about many in those communities, but I like the tactical games so I only play solo and minimize any social contact. I have many happy hours in Door Kickers 1 & 2 and have figured out which Discord channel are useful for me and which to stay away from.

Unfortunately, unlike DK and DK2, many of these games are really tailored for coop play :(
Exactly. Most tactical games (by which - my bad - I mostly meant tactical shooters in the vein of the classic Rainbow Six/SWAT titles) are multiplayer only, or so multiplayer focused that they'd might as well be.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Man I remember the day... playing Ghost Recon with the GG (GT?) folks. Pretty much the last time I played any kind of team based tactical shooter outside of a round or two of PUBG a few years back.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:28 pm Man I remember the day... playing Ghost Recon with the GG (GT?) folks. Pretty much the last time I played any kind of team based tactical shooter outside of a round or two of PUBG a few years back.
I used to have a dedicated server set up for Ghost Recon. I'm pretty sure the GG board used it too.
FTE