Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Blackhawk »

Game publicity: "Cash sales will only apply to things that don't directly affect gameplay, and those can all be earned in-game, too!"
Game reality: Earning the items is so absurdly complex, difficult, or time consuming that if you don't pay cash, you won't get them. And while they don't have stats or mechanics attached to them, they often come with advantages nonetheless (like being less visible to your opponents.)

Game publicity: "We have premium currency packs as low as $1.99!"
Game reality: The currency sells in sets of 250, 500, or 1000. The cosmetics cost 350, 600, and 1200.

Making money is fine. Offering extras for sale is fine. Quietly manipulating your customers, playing psychological tricks on them, or reducing the value of the initial purchase in a manner that isn't clear before purchase is shitty.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks to my online friend I found out today that the guy who was responsible for an old Half Life mod I loved to play.....Natural Selection.....also formed the company that made Subnautica...a game I love.
Unknown Worlds was formed in May 2001 by Charlie Cleveland and began life as a group of developers responsible for the development of the high-profile free mod for Half-Life, Natural Selection. The success of Natural Selection convinced Cleveland to start work on a commercial sequel to the game: Natural Selection 2. Soon after, Cleveland founded Unknown Worlds Entertainment as a commercial computer games studio.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I am apparently the only gamer who does not enjoy playing a sneaky character in Skyrim.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Every time. Every. Time.

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

</nods knowingly>

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Seems in every Fallout game I end up as a sniper of some sort, even Fallout Tactics. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:37 pm Part of the reason that Epic is paying a half a billion dollar fine is that they deliberately designed the UI so that it was easy to misclick and accidentally purchase something with no confirmation step...
The industry parlance is "dark UX patterns"
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:16 pm Every time. Every. Time.

Enlarge Image
That’s what I tried this time since, despite the running joke, I’d never actually done it before. I found it to be incredibly boring and far more difficult than every other class live played. I’m apparently doing something entirely wrong...I'll post in the actual Skyrim thread and see if I can figure out what that is.

Oh well, back to the Skyrim board game instead.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I thought about sitting down and playing something on the PS4 (something I haven't done in months) while I still have a few months left on my PS+ Extra (or whatever it's called) sub.

I'm having the hardest time finding things that aren't either open world or open ended. I don't want to invest 80 hours in a game right now!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't touched my PS4 in years. I love it but I just got old so when Im in bed instead of playing a console I go to sleep now. Who woulda ever thought Id do that lol. A bed for sleeping..bah. Sure sign Im old.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:05 pm I thought about sitting down and playing something on the PS4 (something I haven't done in months) while I still have a few months left on my PS+ Extra (or whatever it's called) sub.

I'm having the hardest time finding things that aren't either open world or open ended. I don't want to invest 80 hours in a game right now!
Hades or Dead Cells (if the trappings of a Metroidvania within a Rogue-lite progression system would be more your cuppa) both play superbly in small doses.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After a YT video of a guy that owns a laundry mat show his machines and how much he makes vs what he pays I want to play a laundrymat sim game. Buy an old building in an area, fix it up, put in washing machines and dryers. Set prices. Maybe add things to draw more customers and money like some arcade machines or a tv and places to sit. Snack and soda machines.Bathrooms. Might be fun.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:32 pm After a YT video of a guy that owns a laundry mat show his machines and how much he makes vs what he pays I want to play a laundrymat sim game. Buy an old building in an area, fix it up, put in washing machines and dryers. Set prices. Maybe add things to draw more customers and money like some arcade machines or a tv and places to sit. Snack and soda machines.Bathrooms. Might be fun.
Arcade Paradise:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So close lol. Needs better graphics and more sim to it.

Arcade Paradise seems interesting. Ill put it on my waitlist.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

awwww that video is worrisome. Why change the story now. The zone was caused by Chernobyl. Leave it at that..dont embellish it. Also so many American English accents and maybe some British. What happened to the Russians and the Eastern European folk? This worries me it will be released as a typical same old shooter. Leave it alone...just new maps & graphics..you dont have to reinvent it all.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's the inevitable catch-22 that developers face.

If they reinvent it, people will be angry that they're not being completely true to the original. But if they don't reinvent it, people will complain that it doesn't bring anything new to the table and is out of date. Getting the balance right is tricky, and they usually err in favor of the latter group (those that want something new.) They represent the current audience, while the other group represents the previous audience. And staying in business long enough to talk about STALKER 3 requires that they appeal to the current audience.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I didn't interpret that opening bit about the "noosphere" as meaning that the researchers had caused the Zone, but that they had been studying it and had made a fundamental discovery that has perhaps reshaped it. Given that this is being framed as a sequel to the original games, building on the existing canon instead of retconning it would make more sense, but I would guess we'll see what's up as they build up to the release next year (assuming it isn't further delayed, which is not something I'd take for granted).

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Then again they got to Stalker..what is it actually...4?....by not changing the stuff.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone played Wreckfest? I looked up good looking racing games and it came up amid all the real serious stuff. It looks fun for me. Not too serious, lots of damage modeling, and looks goof.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:36 pm Anyone played Wreckfest? I looked up good looking racing games and it came up amid all the real serious stuff. It looks fun for me. Not too serious, lots of damage modeling, and looks goof.
it's good and i absolutely recommend it. bought it during early access development, that's how much i trust the developer (Bugbear, who did the first two and a half FlatOut games.)

original thread here: http://octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewt ... t#p2941608
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

::nudges Blackhawk for the 2023 finished games thread::

;)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i can say the exclusive title in The Zachtronics Solitaire Collection (Fortune's Foundation) is the most brutal solitaire game i've ever played

https://zachtronics.itch.io/the-zachtro ... collection

https://www.gog.com/en/game/the_zachtro ... collection

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:57 am i can say the exclusive title in The Zachtronics Solitaire Collection (Fortune's Foundation) is the most brutal solitaire game i've ever played

https://zachtronics.itch.io/the-zachtro ... collection

https://www.gog.com/en/game/the_zachtro ... collection

UPDATE: took a couple dozen attempts, but i won my first game in Fortune's Foundation. you need to look ahead several cards up the stack and make good use of your swap space (and definitely do not squander free columns at the beginning and mid-game)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Anyone (beside me) own/play World of Guns: Gun Disassembly?

I got the full access pass a while ago and it is a fun diversion from other games or when I need a break from other things, to disassemble and reassemble their various firearms. Anyway, the full access pass is on sale for the next 45 hours or so for 60% off.

UPDATE: Don't let that item on the main site, "Depots Update: 21 Apr, 2020 (988 days ago)", bother you. The devs are constantly adding new weapons to the sim, in fact they use an in-game voting system to ask for preferences.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I think I tried that Gun Disassembly game for one or two guns, then moved onto something else.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:58 pm Anyone (beside me) own/play World of Guns: Gun Disassembly?
Is there something to it besides disassembly/reassembly? Is there some sort of management/business sim behind it?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:04 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:58 pm Anyone (beside me) own/play World of Guns: Gun Disassembly?
Is there something to it besides disassembly/reassembly? Is there some sort of management/business sim behind it?
Nope, although the details of the mechanisms can be seen through cutaway and x-ray modes, plus slow motion, etc. You can download the basic game for free and give it a look.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I made it through 57 straight races of coming in first in Candy Crush. Now that my streak is broken and I don't have a constant source of free boosts, I can't win nuthin. Time to just hoard their gifts I guess until I can make another play at winning streaks. Though it seems like the difficulty went off the deep end somewhere around level 800.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:21 pm I made it through 57 straight races of coming in first in Candy Crush.
substitute 'solitaire' for Candy Crush and you've just described a typical day for my retired mother
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:02 am
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:21 pm I made it through 57 straight races of coming in first in Candy Crush.
substitute 'solitaire' for Candy Crush and you've just described a typical day for my retired mother
A race takes something shy of an hour if you complete every puzzle on the first try. So that's gonna be some three months of giving the game an hour, sometimes two about half the days of the week. I find it both relaxes me and tries to keep me sharp. At least sharper than I'd otherwise be. Not sure what will happen now that the game has hit a point where I'm not nearly x steps ahead to figure out a way forward any more.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

As a Canadian taxpayer, I'm not even mad.

Anarchist Fallout Mod Claims To Be Funded By The Government
The Canadian government has apparently used taxpayer money to pay for an anarchist Fallout mod. And not just once or twice, but four times. I have so many questions, mainly: “What does it take to get rejected from a Canadian arts grant?”

Nous Aurons is an overhaul mod that turns Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel into a post-apocalyptic world of anarchist communes. In most Fallout campaigns, you’re just trying not to get shanked while collecting some bottle caps. This mod tries to turn all of that on its head. Nous Aurons portrays a “utopia” where people organize themselves along the “shared values” of “anti-domination, direct democracy, freedom, and autonomy.”
But it still feels incredibly odd that the Canadian government would be funding a project that is explicitly in favor of a world where liberal democracy doesn’t exist (and is in fact undesirable). How did the mod’s creators manage to secure “support” not only from the Quebec Council of Arts and Letters and Canada Council for the Arts? Kotaku reached out to the creators to ask if the funding assessors knew about the anarchy component, but did not receive a response by the time of publication.

According to the lead developer Hugo Nadeau, he was able to obtain government funding multiple times by submitting an English and a French version of the game to each organization.

“They gave me money, so all the rest was up to me to organize.” Nadeau wrote in the official Discord server. “So I did a bunch of exhibitions [...], live performances […] and finally online game sessions.” He added that these exhibitions were a requirement for receiving funding.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't get why the anarchist component is an issue. Like is he actively advocating overthrowing the government? You're free to be an actual anarchist in Canada if you're not planning criminal acts. Kotaku has been an embarrassing low-effort rag for a long time, if not always.

I'm more worried about the effects Call of Duty has on people, but the evils of the military industrial complex are full endorsed by our nations for whatever bizzare reason.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, it's just a click-bait take to frame it as some sort of ironic paradox or whatever. It's also old news -- I took a look at the mod, and it was released in 2017 (although it appears that he is still maintaining it, so maybe the grants were given more recently than that, I didn't bother looking into it).

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Manifold Garden - Portal-like puzzle game with Descent-style view shifting. this wins the prize for 'first non-VR game to give me motion sickness'

it's even a prominently pinned topic in the game's Steam forum:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/473950/d ... 840781755/
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

EA app Origin app.....It appears EA is going through changes again and is trying to shift everything from the old Origin launcher to a new EA app launcher. Should I just delete my Origin stuff and install the EA app? Has anyone done this or tried it?
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I read that they were doing this, but since I so rarely use anything in Origin, I haven't looked at or tried migrating. And despite having a few decent games on that account, I suspect I won't get to it anytime soon. Hopefully it'll work smoothly for you.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well figured I might as well get it over with. Also felt Id keep Origin installed until I made sure the new EA launcher worked like it should. ANd I have Star Wars Squadrons installed. The EA was a bully. One of its first moves was to uninstall Origin. Poof gone. Oh well. Once that was gone it installed fine. Seems to work fine. But my Squadrons game shortcut was accessible. Gave me and excuse to uninstall the game for a bit. Also had forgotten my pw so had to be emailed a link to make a new one. Wee.

Seems its replaced Origin ok so far.