LGBT issues thread (was Supreme Court to hear same-sex marriage cases)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: LGBT issues thread (was Supreme Court to hear same-sex marriage cases)

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:46 pm A buddy of mine's former high school staged a mass walkout today in protest.
Has he expressed a view on it?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

With the United States we have today and the way they treat anyone they find different, if Putin stated a war like he has with Ukraine and said he did it because the United States is hurting men, women, and children, would America really be able to say to they dont hurt men, woman, and children? I think not.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Isgrimnur wrote:Has he expressed a view on it?
Oh yeah, he's VERY progressive. He was applauding them.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:49 pm
Isgrimnur wrote:Has he expressed a view on it?
Oh yeah, he's VERY progressive. He was applauding them.
Well, yeah. Back when he went there he could say gay.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Guardian
A federal judge has ruled that a former Kentucky clerk violated the constitutional rights of two same-sex couples after she wouldn’t issue them marriage licenses – a refusal that sparked international attention and briefly landed her in jail in 2015.

The US district judge, David Bunning, issued the ruling on Friday in two longstanding lawsuits involving Kim Davis, the former clerk of Rowan county, and two same-sex couples. A jury trial will still need to decide on any damages.

Bunning reasoned that Davis “cannot use her own constitutional rights as a shield to violate the constitutional rights of others while performing her duties as an elected official”.

“It is readily apparent that Obergefell recognizes Plaintiffs’ 14th-amendment right to marry,” the judge wrote, referencing the landmark same-sex marriage Obergefell v Hodges decision from 2015. “It is also readily apparent that Davis made a conscious decision to violate plaintiffs’ right.”
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thought we'd heard the last of that dumbass woman.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'd definitely vote for Perlman!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

The letter is probably just satire, but it's still fun.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Oopsie.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Ross Douthat wades into dangerous waters.

He argues that where you stand in the resurgent LGBT culture wars depends on how you view stats like the following: 20% or so of gen Z youth identify today as LGBT (taken from a Gallup survey).

One camp thinks that's great. More people able to be true to themselves. Just like left-handedness became much more prevalent, once we stopped trying to stomp it out, it's natural and wonderful to see such a precipitous rise in LGBT identification.

Another camp thinks we shouldn't make too much out of these types of surveys/trends. Kids being kids. They're going to experiment, and that's fine. But we also shouldn't freak out and "treat it as a definitive revelation about human nature or try to build new curriculums or impose certain rules atop a fluid and uncertain situation. Tolerance is essential; ideological enthusiasm is unnecessary."

Not surprisingly, the third camp is scared to death. The rise of LGBT-identifying youth is a contagion that threatens the fabric of our society. "Don't Say Gay!"

Douthat doesn't stake an explicit claim on which camp he sits in, although I think the piece makes it pretty clear. His parting shot:
But of course this is also a theory of conflict- avoidance, shading into cowardice. So to end more straightforwardly, I will make a prediction: Within not too short a span of time, not only conservatives but most liberals will recognize that we have been running an experiment on trans-identifying youth without good or certain evidence, inspired by ideological motives rather than scientific rigor, in a way that future generations will regard as a grave medical-political scandal.
I don't agree with everything Douthat says here, but I think it's an interesting piece and worth reading.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
malchior

Post by malchior »

I liked this piece. A lot of his recent pieces haven't really been all that insightful IMO. I think he dissects the issue precisely enough to be useful at the very least. He doesn't dock this into a model of the larger culture which I'd personally ding him on. However, FWIW I think his parting shot is on-target. He wisely avoids getting more explicit or declarative because that'd be a distraction but also a narrow road into "TERF" territory as far as purists are concerned.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The sooner society considers it no big deal, the sooner it will be no big deal. Yes, I am a genius, I know.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:12 pm The sooner society considers it no big deal, the sooner it will be no big deal. Yes, I am a genius, I know.
Count me firmly as being already in the no big deal category. I wish it was more prevalent.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

gbasden wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:38 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:12 pm The sooner society considers it no big deal, the sooner it will be no big deal. Yes, I am a genius, I know.
Count me firmly as being already in the no big deal category. I wish it was more prevalent.
My eyes opened when one of my friends from high school told me he was gay in college, so I've been there a long time. I found trans confusing until I had a friend transition. That was probably 20 years ago at this point. After that I decided that my tiny sliver of experience was no match for the world and I was in no position to judge someone based on anything that didn't cause harm to others.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is Democrat Ian Mackey. He is with the Missouri State House. He has 3K followers. Can you retweet and follow him to help grow another great Democrat at the state level where things are critical to get done?

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

(Is there a better place to put this? I am not sure where to put it...)

This is just the most awesome thing to listen to. And she is looking over at the Senator in question while saying this

State Senator Mallory McMorrow tells it like it is.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What in the actual F? Can we seriously rescue people from Florida?

NEW: The Florida Department of Health just issued guidelines telling doctors to medically de-transition all transgender youth and banned them from social transition treatment, including “name, pronoun, and clothing changes.”
The memo is in the tweet thread.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:17 pm (Is there a better place to put this? I am not sure where to put it...)

This is just the most awesome thing to listen to. And she is looking over at the Senator in question while saying this

State Senator Mallory McMorrow tells it like it is.

Hope she's right. I feel my state is in shambles and the firewall against us collapsing are the shrunken in numbers republicans with integrity whom are being chased out while they still control the legislature through existing gerrymandering structure. I hope my feelings are divorced from reality. On my morning walk today, I saw a bit graffiti that is despicable, right across the street from a "Fuck Biden" flag. The straight pipe bearing truck next door has its blue line flag proudly decaled on its bed. And I live in consistently D but narrowly so district.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:23 am What in the actual F? Can we seriously rescue people from Florida?

NEW: The Florida Department of Health just issued guidelines telling doctors to medically de-transition all transgender youth and banned them from social transition treatment, including “name, pronoun, and clothing changes.”
The memo is in the tweet thread.
That's...

Wow. It's just so over the top. It's a half step short of a state-run conversion camp.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

This is what they've dreamed of: using the power of government to erase rather than recognize the rights of people who don't fit the straight white right-wing Christian vision of identity and social hierarchy.

In the 1990s and the early 2000s the walls of social oppression seemed to be falling. Now we're seeing them hoisted back up, and in every dimension: race, sex, gender, and identity.

There's already talk of rescinding not just abortion and gay marriage but contraception and interracial marriage, for God's sake.

If you think that's hyperbole, you don't know who we're dealing with.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

These are the same assholes who cry freedom over the inconvenience of wearing a mask. But if it’s their enemy, there is no freedom or separation of church and state.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:50 pm This is what they've dreamed of: using the power of government to erase rather than recognize the rights of people who don't fit the straight white right-wing Christian vision of identity and social hierarchy.

In the 1990s and the early 2000s the walls of social oppression seemed to be falling. Now we're seeing them hoisted back up, and in every dimension: race, sex, gender, and identity.

There's already talk of rescinding not just abortion and gay marriage but contraception and interracial marriage, for God's sake.

Banning interracial marriage has always confused me because of the full spectrum of skin color. Where exactly do they draw the line and who is the Racism Czar?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:01 am
Holman wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:50 pm This is what they've dreamed of: using the power of government to erase rather than recognize the rights of people who don't fit the straight white right-wing Christian vision of identity and social hierarchy.

Banning interracial marriage has always confused me because of the full spectrum of skin color. Where exactly do they draw the line and who is the Racism Czar?
I'm sure they would leave it up to whichever most-bigoted official issues marriage licenses.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kentucky births those .
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Up next, North Carolina:
Following the lead of other Republican-led states, North Carolina lawmakers proposed a bill Tuesday that would ban teaching about gender or sexuality in early elementary school grades, and could force school employees to out LGBTQ students to their parents.

The bill faces the potential of a veto from Gov. Roy Cooper, a Democrat, but it could lead lawmakers to stake out positions ahead of the November elections on what they would do if voters give them more control.

In addition to banning teachers of students up through third grade from teaching about LGBTQ issues, the bill would also require that if students in any grade tell teachers or counselors about issues related to their gender or sexuality — or about anything else related to their “mental, emotional or physical health or well-being” — then school employees would not be allowed to keep it a secret if the parents asked.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

JFC Ohio!

Yesterday we passed a bill in the Ohio house allowing ANYONE to question ANY child athlete’s gender and require them to have a physician write a statement based on 3 things: Their INTERNAL and external reproductive anatomy 2. Their normal endogenously produced testosterone levels and 3. Their genetic make-up ...Any child who might appear “too masculine” or “too feminine” can be questioned and required to prove their gender with invasive, sensitive tests and exams. Or perhaps any child who simply performs too well. Could this happen in the middle of a football game when the star quarterback is about to throw a touchdown? Is there to be a “gender challenge” flag?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Find out where state legislators work out or golf or country club sauna and file an investigation on them too. The law's the law.

They're not child athletes? Let them prove it. We already know that "birth certificates" and other documentation don't count, so drop those pasty white shorts.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Conservative's ongoing obsession with the genitalia of high school athletes is suuuuuuuper creepy.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:06 pm JFC Ohio!
It's getting hard to keep track. Can't we just "JFC Red States!" and save energy?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lest anyone think the Tweeter supports this nonsense:

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We're all turning into our grandparents now, believing any tweet we see. :lol:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm confused. It's all true. I probably should have added the clarification that she was against it, but the actual legislation has been proposed:
House Republican lawmakers in Ohio passed a bill at 11:15 p.m. Wednesday night that would ban transgender girls and women from participating in high school and college athletics. It also comes with a "verification process" of checking the genitals of those "accused" of being trans.

The 'Save Women's Sports Act,' or House Bill 61, wasn't supposed to be on the schedule for legislators originally. However, at the last minute, Republican representatives added the language to a completely different bill.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:50 pm I'm confused. It's all true. I probably should have added the clarification that she was against it, but the actual legislation has been proposed:
House Republican lawmakers in Ohio passed a bill at 11:15 p.m. Wednesday night that would ban transgender girls and women from participating in high school and college athletics. It also comes with a "verification process" of checking the genitals of those "accused" of being trans.

The 'Save Women's Sports Act,' or House Bill 61, wasn't supposed to be on the schedule for legislators originally. However, at the last minute, Republican representatives added the language to a completely different bill.
More her mistake in not having anything in the first tweet to indicate her position on it. First tweets matter!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:50 pm I'm confused. It's all true. I probably should have added the clarification that she was against it,
Ah, got it. :D
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Does anyone find it surreal that Cawthorn is being investigated for insider trading/ethics violations for the pump and dump of Let's Go Brandon tokens? AKA LGBT coin?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Finally, a politician in TX going after the one thing that's really causing harm to kids - gu...sorry, drag shows:
Texas state Rep. Brian Slaton, a Republican who represents a district outside of Dallas, announced Monday that he will introduce a bill in the Texas House of Representatives in the coming days that would ban children from drag shows.

Slaton says his move is a reaction to a local drag show in Dallas that allowed children to attend.

The legislation would protect "kids from drag shows and other inappropriate displays," according to a news release by Slaton.

“The events of this past weekend were horrifying and show a disturbing trend in which perverted adults are obsessed with sexualizing young children,” Slaton said in the release. “As a father of two young children, I would never take my children to a drag show and I know Speaker Dade Phelan and the rest of my Republican colleagues wouldn’t either. Protecting our own children isn’t enough, and our responsibility as lawmakers extends to the sexualization that is happening across Texas.”

The release also stated that Slaton would continue "his fight" to have gender-affirming health care considered "child abuse" in the state.
Gotta protect those kids.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Parent’s rights. If I want my daughters to listen to Showtunes and slightly raunchy Disney songs sung by a drag queen, I should be able to. Or take them to the pride parade. My punishment is not having as much fun.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Defiant

Post by Defiant »