Home Projects (upkeep/repair/mods/cool sh*t/advice/question)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gilraen

Re: Home Projects (upkeep/repair/mods/cool sh*t/advice/question)

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:49 pm Are mailbox flags all a standard fit? Can I just order any flag from online and put it on? Ive had mine patched with a red solo cup piece cut to fit lol.
Does anyone even still use those?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:49 pm Are mailbox flags all a standard fit? Can I just order any flag from online and put it on? Ive had mine patched with a red solo cup piece cut to fit lol.
Here's a simple Universal Peel and Stick Replacement Mailbox Flag, that requires no tools whatsoever and installs in seconds:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:42 pm Yeah, given what you've said I think anything you can do to keep people out of there is going to be worth cutting down a shrub (at a minimum). If someone actually starts a fire in there, the shrubs are going to be an afterthought...
This is our concern...last time I was there, I actually found one of those supercharged lighters (Torchblue?) at one of the broken in doors. Not sure if they were planning to burn the plywood off or what, but jesus, that would indeed be a nightmare.

As for the shrub, she goes over there at least 2x a week to pick up mail and such, so she would DEFINITELY notice, and she would possibly not speak to me before she dies if I did something like that without asking her. She's VERY big on plants, and shrubs, and gets extremely emotional anytime someone in the past (usually my Dad, previously, but now it's the guy she hires to help keep up the yard) has dug up (accidentally or intentionally) a shrub, bush, flower, etc. Like, she will talk about it for YEARS after.

Hell, she's been complaining for 6 months that her helper guy cleaned out all the "mulch" around her azalea bed that she had been "collecting" for a decade. Note that this is not mulch like you buy in a bag at Lowe's, but simply the leaves, dead sticks, etc etc that naturally fall, and were just raked into the bed.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's the Auburn oak tree method.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Her helper guy already messed up once. Maybe he’ll do it again.

:)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:14 pm Her helper guy already messed up once. Maybe he’ll do it again.

:)
LOL
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I was out just yesterday carefully hand pruning the shrub beside my porch. Today I hear the high decibel wail as they trim it with a gas hedge trimmer. :lol: I had to be very careful trimming plants for my mother also, definitely wasn't allowed to take too much off. :lol:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:12 pm
Here's a simple Universal Peel and Stick Replacement Mailbox Flag, that requires no tools whatsoever and installs in seconds:
Hmmm had no idea it was easy or would have asked a long time ago lol. Thank you.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Hopefully you're not putting anything important in that mailbox with the great big new "come steal my private information flag" just because you can't drive to the post office at the moment. :wink:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Late to the discussion but dealt with this years ago and had some thoughts from that experience that might be useful.
Carpet_pissr wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:59 pmVery, very frustrating, thanks. My mother is the clinical defition of a hoarder (and has two houses, an apartment, and at least three large storage units). She's 83, now requires a walker or at least a couple of canes to get around, and still insists that she's going to "clean up" the house one day and move back in. It will never happen. The house needs probably $60K worth of work, and that does not include cleaning out the stuff that is literally about 1/4 to the ceiling (higher in some places). I would post pics but it's too depressing honestly. Just trust me that it's as bad and much worse than many of the episodes I've seen on the Hoarders TV show.
I was a witness to something of this level (probably worse to be honest) but my ex-girlfriend's father wasn't just a hoarder. He had begun to neglect all maintenance and basic housekeeping. After he died we found he had had been sleeping in an easy chair in the living room near the front door. You had to climb on a mountain of literal garbage to move around every room. I had to walk through most of the house hunched over on loose garbage. Anyway, salvaging anything wasn't worth it and she ended up selling it as-is because the estimates to clean it and repair were more than we could have imagined.

You should prepare yourself for that reality. What you think is $60K of repairs might be a multiple of that with clean up costs. What I found out in that experience is that it is very common to you end up with a severe mold or infestation problem. The former was the case via testing at the time.
3. She refuses to have the MASSIVE tea olive bush cut that hides and darkens the rear entrance to the house (their preferred break in spot because of this reason). The thing is probably as old as me, and literally arches OVER the house at this point. Getting rid of that thing, or at least cutting it WAY back would probably decrease the odds of further break-ins by 30% or more. But cutting it also means she loses her "privacy" and she would be able to see the town homes they built pretty close behind her. Note that she does not live here.
Aren't you at a point where you should just cut it down? The reality is that she is unlikely to return and it's probably the right thing to do for a variety of reasons. It could be replaced with new landscaping in the future as well if the privacy concerns need to be addressed.

Saw the post above. This situation stinks. I'd encourage maybe convincing her then to maybe re-landscape that area for aesthetics while also highlighting the security purpose perhaps.
I thought about an alarm, but again, since no one lives there, it's going to be set off and no one to know, or turn it off. No internet there, so this is challenging as well. I would not want her to be slapped with a "nuisance" citation or worse from the police for letting her alarm just...alarm for hours or whatnot.
Have you considered what may happen if the condition of the house became known to the authorities. The risk that it may be condemned? That was one risk in the above scenario. We were told by the probate attorney to minimize the number of people who see the interior until the sale was completed for this reason. I don't know the law there but there is also potential legal risk if someone gets injured on the properly to consider. We were advised to turn over the property quickly for that reason as well.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As someone that has been an agent of the state in cases like this, I can tell you that there is significant reluctance to condemn a property because in doing so, you're going to need to pay for relocation of people being impacted. Having said that, I don't know the laws in other states and in this situation where someone isn't living there it might work against those constraints and instead make it more likely that they would condemn it - especially over fire or rodent concerns as it relates to neighbors. If bills are being paid (taxes, water/sewer, waste pickup, electricity or gas for heat) then risk is lowered, but not zero.

I have seen things that even now (it's been close to 25 years I think), I will never forget.

So yes, I can confirm much of what malchior has said in terms of cleanups and cost. It's generally always been (1) worse and (2) more expensive than you might initially expect. There's usually no salvage; it's all disposal and as mentioned, they're usually been some type of infrastructure damage associated with whatever was happening as well - water damage, mold, vermin infestations - always something else.

But all of that is a separate issue from the break ins. I still think the best options are to make it a less viable target by installing security doors and window protections *and* an alarm system. Assuming you're the contact person for the local police (i.e. they'd reach out to you directly when the alarm is activated) and you'd be dealing with it. I'd hope securing the doors and windows plus signage would reduce the risk of future break-ins, but it might take one or two more attempts before it's clear that the house is no longer an easy target.

I totally get the bush/shrub thing as my parents have been fighting over a stand of them that block the neighbors for years. They're out of control and need to be significantly cut down but in doing so, you'd then be able to see the neighbor's yard and the mountains of crap they have hoarded all over their property. It's been a landscaping stalemate between them for at least a decade now.

Anyway, I guess if you want to minimize stress to your moms, the security upgrades are the path forward, imho. I know you're in a crap position regardless.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yes, my brother has been pretty steadily mentioning the high possibility of condemnation. County has already cited her for the yard mess (and standing water issues, mosquitoes) at least once.

Cops have been there after one of the break-ins, so I (we, the three kids) are really shocked that some kind of legal/civic action has not been taken to date.

Neighbor lives in a constant state of being pissed at her as you can imagine.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In my experience, the condemnation orders come when utilities aren't being paid and there is usually some type of significant physical defect in the house - usually a hole in the roof. But even that's not a guarantee. I had one situation with an elderly husband and wife where some utilities were cut and they had a hole in the roof that he covered with a tarp. It went on for years and I think ultimately ended with one of them dying and the other being relocated into long-term care by the family. The town (I think) was highly, highly reluctant to get involved and they were essentially camping in their house for 5+ years before action was needed. Property was large and isolated enough that no neighbors were involved.

Not sure how your mom feels about the neighbor, but maybe that's the path forward - if she wants to be a "good neighbor" or she can understand why it's important to do things (like trim shrubs) to be a good neighbor. If she hates them or doesn't care, obviously that's not going to help. :)
Maybe next year, maybe no go

Post by Default »

One of the people in my ADHD support group has a mother who is a hoarder. She says you can barely open the apartment door to get in, and the place is a deathtrap. Mom refuses help.
The two children live in one bedroom apartments, and don't make enough to get an apartment big enough to move their resistant Mom in to.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:38 am Property was large and isolated enough that no neighbors were involved.
That's the key. No one will care (at least not for a long time) if a house in the middle of nowhere is a breeding ground for pests of both human and animal variety. But this is not the case here: there are (brand-new?) town homes close by. So it's a matter of how long before someone does a double-take on a semi-abandoned house that appears to be attracting crime in the area and lowering others' property values.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Bathroom remodel project has begun.
I just dropped $10k on deposits and materials.

Work will begin early to mid February with an expected completion time of 1.5 weeks from start to finish.

(Insert Money Pit two weeks gif here)

I'll get some before shots so we can post the after ones when it's completed.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Good luck my fellow Brian.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Brian wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:45 pm Bathroom remodel project has begun.
I just dropped $10k on deposits and materials.
I might be able to build an entire house in Laos for that much dinero. :think:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We only have one bathroom. We'd have to move out if it were out of commission for more than a few hours. And I need 45 minutes of quality time there every morning, so the contractors can't start until 9 a.m.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:34 am We only have one bathroom. We'd have to move out if it were out of commission for more than a few hours. And I need 45 minutes of quality time there every morning, so the contractors can't start until 9 a.m.
My neighbors have one bathroom. When they redid a number of years ago, they would apparently come over to our house (not our house at the time). Fortunately they had a pretty good relationship with those owners!

We're actually supposed to start work on our basement re-finishing in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to getting that done so that we have usable space down there again.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:19 pm Good luck my fellow Brian.
Thanks. I look forward to being able to access a shower without having to go up multiple sets of stairs.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:34 am We only have one bathroom. We'd have to move out if it were out of commission for more than a few hours. And I need 45 minutes of quality time there every morning, so the contractors can't start until 9 a.m.
You and my oldest sister, but it's for different purposes. IMO she never comes out of that bathroom any better looking than when she entered.
When she visited I used to keep an empty Brawndo bottle handy. :lol:
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

em2nought wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:23 am Hopefully you're not putting anything important in that mailbox with the great big new "come steal my private information flag" just because you can't drive to the post office at the moment. :wink:
The mailbox door on the mailbox at the new house won't stay closed. I frequently come home at lunch to find it hanging open with our mail inside. :|

I don't really see a good way to "tighten" it or adjust it in any way so I may just replace the whole thing with one that locks.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pest Control comes out Monday to start work on evicting the unwanted furry residents from the attic.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Exodor wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:03 pm
em2nought wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:23 am Hopefully you're not putting anything important in that mailbox with the great big new "come steal my private information flag" just because you can't drive to the post office at the moment. :wink:
The mailbox door on the mailbox at the new house won't stay closed. I frequently come home at lunch to find it hanging open with our mail inside. :|

I don't really see a good way to "tighten" it or adjust it in any way so I may just replace the whole thing with one that locks.
Believe it or not I have successfully used velcro on mine for about 10 years. it doesn't exactly latch on to it, but it provide just enough "catch" and space filler I guess, to form a decent (not great) fit when it gets slammed by the mail carrier. It was there when I moved in in 2013, and it's still on there!
telcta

Post by telcta »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:37 pm Pest Control comes out Monday to start work on evicting the unwanted furry residents from the attic.
Mind if I ask how they go about doing this? We have a fairly new condo and have mice in the attic and have no idea where they’re coming from. I think the condo assoc should pay for this because we have no mice anywhere in the condo other than the attic and think they’re coming from the exterior wall or the flashing from the roof. The whole attic is blown in insulation and we started seeing holes and have been catching field mice at least two or three times a week.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

3 or more visits to bait and trap, and seal holes.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:50 pm

Believe it or not I have successfully used velcro on mine for about 10 years. it doesn't exactly latch on to it, but it provide just enough "catch" and space filler I guess, to form a decent (not great) fit when it gets slammed by the mail carrier. It was there when I moved in in 2013, and it's still on there!
Either this or if the door is metal you could just bend it's edges inward ever so slightly so they drag against the sides of the box more.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone know why a pvc coupler wont glue and set? The freezing temps busted a pvp pipe from my well last weekend. My friend brought me some of his glue and primer he had not using it. We went and got the right pipe for it. The two fittings on each side are still good so we just got the pvc pipe to fit into them that fits between them.

The first try I let the primer dry because we thought that was the righth way. then I added glue, stuck them together and twisted. Waited 15 min and turned the pump on and they both sides poped apart and blew water everywhere. So let them stop drippign and dried them then did it again but this time I added the glue and fitted them while the primer was wet. Figured it would set better chem,ically..it said on the cans of glue to do this.

I waited half and hour. It help for less than 1 min. I actually had house water running and got a bucket partly filled before one end popped off. Im not sure if the other end is glued or not. Bet it isn't.

My only open now it to wait until next week after the rains and try again. Im thinking I need to sandpaper all of it before primer and glue because both sides are completly slick and smooth. Maybe that would work. Or that and buy new glue while I can.

Other than that I wait until after next weekend when I have a little money and call my plumber out to see if he can glue two sides together where I cant seem to.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

How old are his chemicals?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:49 pm Anyone know why a pvc coupler wont glue and set? The freezing temps busted a pvp pipe from my well last weekend. My friend brought me some of his glue and primer he had not using it. We went and got the right pipe for it. The two fittings on each side are still good so we just got the pvc pipe to fit into them that fits between them.

The first try I let the primer dry because we thought that was the righth way. then I added glue, stuck them together and twisted. Waited 15 min and turned the pump on and they both sides poped apart and blew water everywhere. So let them stop drippign and dried them then did it again but this time I added the glue and fitted them while the primer was wet. Figured it would set better chem,ically..it said on the cans of glue to do this.

I waited half and hour. It help for less than 1 min. I actually had house water running and got a bucket partly filled before one end popped off. Im not sure if the other end is glued or not. Bet it isn't.

My only open now it to wait until next week after the rains and try again. Im thinking I need to sandpaper all of it before primer and glue because both sides are completly slick and smooth. Maybe that would work. Or that and buy new glue while I can.

Other than that I wait until after next weekend when I have a little money and call my plumber out to see if he can glue two sides together where I cant seem to.
Gluing PVC Pipe? Follow These 7 Dos and Don'ts - Bob Vila
bobvila.com wrote:Speed and accuracy count when gluing PVC pipe, so avoid mishaps with this guide to creating an airtight connection with fast-acting cement.

Pipe made of polyvinyl chloride, commonly called PVC, is used in a variety of residential applications, from plumbing systems to a host of cool craft projects (such as DIY racks, organizers, and even furniture). Joining a pipe to a pipe fitting requires specially formulated primer and cement—no ordinary adhesive but a chemical solvent that melts the surface of the PVC and then quickly re-hardens to fuse the pieces together. The result is an airtight, leak-proof bond similar to what you get with welding metal.

The process involves applying primer to the outside of the pipe and the inside of the fitting, which cleans and preps the PVC. After about 10 seconds, you next apply cement to the same areas, then insert the pipe snugly into the fitting and allow the cement to set.

Simple as that sounds, gluing PVC pipe is easy to mess up, and if you make a mistake, there’s no going back—you’ll have to cut out the pipe and start over. So heed this list of dos and don’ts to ensure success on your PVC projects.

DON’T use the wrong type of cement.
There are different kinds of cements (and primers) on the market formulated for various types of plastic piping. Read labels carefully and be sure to select cement made specifically for PVC. Be aware that one type of pipe cement you may see on the shelf is designed for CPVC (chlorinated polyvinyl chloride) pipe, which is similar in name but not an acceptable substitute. Popular manufacturers of PVC cement include Weld-On (view on Amazon), Oatey (view on Amazon), Gorilla (view on Amazon) and more.

DO work fast.
After you apply the primer, you only have about 10 seconds before you need to apply the cement. After that, you will immediately insert the pipe into the fitting. Proceed quickly when gluing PVC pipe; if the cement begins drying before you’re ready, reapply it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:01 pm How old are his chemicals?
A few months and he has had them stored in a work bin inside his home.

Ill read those rules . Think Ill try one more time tonight and let it set overnight. Tomorrow is storms and 2" of rain so wont be working on it tomorrow at all.

Im getting mixed info online as to sanding it. 80% say dont sand . So Im guessing thats the correct way. Good as I dont have sandpaper anyways. Maybe the glue is bad. But Ill also hurry more as I was taking longer than 10 seconds. More like 20-40 between priming and glueing and then setting. Also Ill let it sit over night.

If I can get water back that solves many other issues like showers, dish washing, and clothes as I can hand wash again.

EDIT: Also its the right glue and primer. Its the oatsy stuff or whatever and its both for pvc and they other type whatever it is..like cpv cpv or something. Im using pvp piping.

Both piece had no burrs are anything either. But there is water present in the pipes. Last time it was dripping out and I use paper towels to dry it baest as I could but right as I went to fit it dripped again.

EDIT2: Also before I plug the pump back in ..or the fuses...I open the kitchen and tub faucets wide open and the toiler is also set to fill...so the only pressure on it is my water heater perhaps. I could open its emergeny drain too ...maybe then no pressure in system and it could blow out the air good then once water is running slowly turn each off after a bit. ...but really it should hold anyways. Maybe the over night set will work.

If I get to it. Im give out ..Im out of energy these days and tired when i wake up then all day. Its as if my heart is weak now days. It pounds when I do anything at all. Plus my rotator cuff right shoulder is now messed up and in pain and its weak to use. Old age sucks. dying young would have sucked too.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

cpvc glue can be used on pvc, but pvc glue can't be used on cpvc. cpvc pipe is the beige pipe & fittings, pvc is the white pipe & fittings.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mines white.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Pay special attention these bits from those rules:
After you apply the primer, you only have about 10 seconds before you need to apply the cement. After that, you will immediately insert the pipe into the fitting. Proceed quickly when gluing PVC pipe; if the cement begins drying before you’re ready, reapply it.
After holding the pipe in place for 30 seconds, give it at least 20 minutes before handling it further so the cement can set properly. Refer to the product’s instructions for how long the glue needs to cure before you can use it for your project, usually within 24 hours.
If you were applying pressure after 15 minutes, you weren't even to the point where you should have been handling it, and 30 minutes was barely past the point at which you can move it, let alone put stress on it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I let it sit overnight this time. It held...with a small leak..it has a dribbling leak from one of the ends. Under pressure the eleak doesn't increase.

I was able to fill up all my jugs and buckets and flush the toilet a few times. I even filled the tub up to give me a safty line. I then yanked the fuse. Cant leave it powered with a small leak and if it totally came apart while Im sleeping it would be another mess.

I then turned it back on later and ran more water then yanked it again. The pipes are still under pressure from the water in them for now. Ill just plug the pump back in each time I really need it then unlpug it afterwards until I can get a pro to look at it. Annoying but workable. Better than no water. Just dont know when ill hahve money for the pro. They yanked my food stamps and I am scrimping by on whatever I have until next weekend. I cant go to the food banks with no car still. And I I have to finish paying my property taxes..$150 next month. Gonna be close end of next month as is.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I thought your car was working after the new battery.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It worked exactly one time. I made a trip to town with like 5 or 6 stops no problem. Next time I went out to go someplace it would do the same old start and die.

Yesterday I went to show my friend what it was doing and it worked on the very first start. I shut it off and recranked to only have it fail again over and over.

Im thinking if I let it sit a weeek agai nand if it starts the first try and seems good I can go to town but only places i can leave it running. If I klill it I wont get home. Might not anyways.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Take the battery out until you're ready to try it. You're going to ruin it.

Post by Default »

Cabinet magnets and some epoxy. Also, should be a tab(if metal) that you can bend up.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken