Push Polls

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

WAW

Push Polls

Post by WAW »

Wow I just got push polled. Very ugly the longer I listened. Its was for a local DA race. They stopped just short of calling him a n****r. And this is from the Dems. :x Do these things work?
You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back!
WW
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Ask McCain.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

Probably sound ignorant here, but what's a push poll? Just a recorded message about a candidate?

Local politics can be nastier than national ones... the one for the district representative in my area has been an all out smear campaign from everything I've read about it.
WAW

Post by WAW »

Faldarian wrote:Probably sound ignorant here, but what's a push poll? Just a recorded message about a candidate?

Local politics can be nastier than national ones... the one for the district representative in my area has been an all out smear campaign from everything I've read about it.
A push poll starts out like a poll. Say "Would vote for Bob Jones" . Then it gets ugly "Would vote for Bob Jones even if he suports white slavery" and "Did you know Bob Jones hates children"goes on from there mostly to associate the candidate with bad things.
You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back!
WW
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

WAW wrote: A push poll starts out like a poll. Say "Would vote for Bob Jones" . Then it gets ugly "Would vote for Bob Jones even if he suports white slavery" and "Did you know Bob Jones hates children"goes on from there mostly to associate the candidate with bad things.
Ugh...thanks for the info.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

A Republican is using a push poll against a friend of mine down here in Texas. Calling up Democrats and asking "Does the fact that --- ----- is a lesbian make you more or less likely to vote for her?"

Of course, she's not a lesbian, just a single, unmarried woman. But this jerk is as slimy as they come. Perfect candidate for the modern Texas Republican Party (where the leadership is pretty damn slimy, though many rank and file Republicans are good folks).
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

I thought Push Polls were illegal.
Guess I was wrong!
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Unless you can prove libel, it's protected as free speech.
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Fireball1244 wrote:Unless you can prove libel, it's protected as free speech.
Aren't public figures pretty much fair game?
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Not if what you're saying is blatantly untrue, no.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Fireball1244 wrote:Not if what you're saying is blatantly untrue, no.
But you have to be able to prove it is untrue....
What about Cheney saying he'd never met John Edwards? That was an attack on his character, and it was false. However, I don't think it was illegal, slander or libel.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Last edited by Defiant on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

Nade wrote:
Eduardo X wrote:
Fireball1244 wrote:Unless you can prove libel, it's protected as free speech.
Aren't public figures pretty much fair game?
They can still sue for libel, it's just harder to prove:
The same liberal rule applies to both categories: To prevail in a libel case against you, in addition to showing that your statement is untrue and caused significant harm, a public official or a public figure must also prove "malice" -- that you acted in reckless disregard to the facts known to you and with intent to harm.
http://www.writing-world.com/rights/libel.shtml
The college paper I used to edit got sued and lost for libel, but that was 3 years before I become editor. I did nothing wrong, although I did get some people angry....
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude