Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Smoove_B »

I mean, it's happening in Iowa, but it doesn't make me feel good.
An influx of right-wing Christians fleeing liberal states has tilted the already conservative state even further to the right, and faith leaders are worried that their neighbors are being sucked into extremism by the newcomers, reported Religion News Service.

A clash broke out last month at a board meeting for the Post Falls library, where conservatives raged against materials affirming LGBTQ people rather than, as one critic said, books “such as the Bible, such as Christian things, such as American things, such as patriotic things.”

One local activist spoke out against that rising tide of extremism but was shouted down by the conservatives in attendance.

“Those leading this attack on the libraries, both locally and nationally, can be directly linked to patriarchal white Christian nationalism,” said Josiah Mannion, a photographer and member of the newly formed Community Library Network Alliance.

The crowd erupted, with one person telling Mannion to "shut the f*ck up," and board members eventually called the police to calm the audience.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I think we're already at the point where this stuff is going to hurt the ability of Florida colleges to attract out-of-state non-MAGA students.

I also imagine that a non-MAGA people are increasingly going to just like move to Atlanta if they really want warm weather and a decent city.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not to mention businesses. And with the way Florida has gone after Disney, I wouldn't be surprised to see resorts looking for greener (and less climate-dependent) locales.

As to shifting populations, it's a shame we can't coordinate the non-MAGAs fleeing MAGA states into a few battleground states.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:21 pm Not to mention businesses. And with the way Florida has gone after Disney, I wouldn't be surprised to see resorts looking for greener (and less climate-dependent) locales.

As to shifting populations, it's a shame we can't coordinate the non-MAGAs fleeing MAGA states into a few battleground states.
Tell them to all move to Wyoming. Like one blue suburb leaving Miami could turn Wyoming into a blue state. Heck, they could take turns being U.S. senators.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Then again, are there any purple states anymore? Florida, Ohio, (and Iowa, apparently) seem to have taken the red pill in a big way.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:31 pm Then again, are there any purple states anymore? Florida, Ohio, (and Iowa, apparently) seem to have taken the red pill in a big way.
Raises hand. State legislature is red. Overall attitude is Red, but consistently two blue senators. Governor and President go back and forth. Not sure of the history in the house but currently 8 blue to 6 six red, though games are definitely played to make it so while several members quit the GOP and retired.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:45 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:31 pm Then again, are there any purple states anymore? Florida, Ohio, (and Iowa, apparently) seem to have taken the red pill in a big way.
Raises hand. State legislature is red. Overall attitude is Red, but consistently two blue senators. Governor and President go back and forth. Not sure of the history in the house but currently 8 blue to 6 six red, though games are definitely played to make it so while several members quit the GOP and retired.
Also AZ, NV, PA, WI, NH.

VA feels like it was purple for like one election cycle between going from solid red to blue (notwithstanding its current governor).
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, let's take AZ, PA, and WI. That should be good for what, 41 electoral votes? Now, we just need to figure out how to coordinate every anti-MAGA refugee...
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:15 pm I think we're already at the point where this stuff is going to hurt the ability of Florida colleges to attract out-of-state non-MAGA students.

I also imagine that a non-MAGA people are increasingly going to just like move to Atlanta if they really want warm weather and a decent city.
One small anecdote: With my family in Jacksonville, my daughter was thinking about University of Florida or maybe Florida State. It’s not 100% the result of FL culture wars and politics, but that definitely weighed into her decision not to attend either of those schools.

Instead, she’s going to Oregon State next year.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Florida = MAGA-Mecca
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Friends of ours moved back to Austin TX about 12 years ago to raise their child near family. The recently moved back here because their non-binary kid, now a teenager actually, was having a terrible time. Even in Austin. It's been difficult for them here financially/employment-wise but it's been night and day for the kiddo. They aren't considering going back.

With brain-drain, so go economies. Musk can create all the towns in Texas he wants ("Muskow", anyone?) but anti-science, anti-education will be weakness of red states regardless.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:07 pm ("Muskow", anyone?)
Sputemkin villages
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The brilliant thing about Musk's company town is that he can rent out the same house to any number of employees. They'll be living and sleeping in the office anyway.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm putting this here because it's absolutely a policy choice:
In 2021, the U.S. had one of the worst rates of maternal mortality in the country's history, according to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The report found that 1,205 people died of maternal causes in the U.S. in 2021. That represents a 40% increase from the previous year.

These are deaths that take place during pregnancy or within 42 days following delivery, according to the World Health Organization.

The U.S. rate for 2021 was 32.9 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births, which is more than ten times the estimated rates of some other high income countries, including Australia, Austria, Israel, Japan and Spain which all hovered between 2 and 3 deaths per 100,000 in 2020.
Of note:
"We had some forewarning with the increase between 2019 and 2020 that it looked like maternal mortality rates were increasing during this pandemic period," she says. "With the overall COVID deaths that occurred in 2021, there was a shift towards younger people, so those would be in the age groups where people would be more likely to be pregnant or recently pregnant."

She says provisional data suggest the deaths peaked in 2021 and started to go down last year. "So hopefully that's the apex," Hoyert says.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Looks like COVID deaths with maternity.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:24 am Looks like COVID deaths with maternity.
:clap:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The TN governor is pushing to dissolve the committee that investigates child abuse.

You might be wondering why, given that the GOP is famously concerned with powerful people abusing children. But you see, what really offends them is when a child abuse agency releases a report critical of how the state government treats foster children.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yay TN..you go girl. :doh:
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:45 pm You might be wondering why, given that the GOP is famously concerned with powerful people abusing children. But you see, what really offends them is when a child abuse agency releases a report critical of how the state government treats foster children.
Even the ones they intentionally put into foster care.

OHIO is still my go-to state for WTF stories, but Tennessee is trying to take over.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas Tribune
Long entrenched in a continuous string of scandals over child abuse and mistreatment, Texas’ youth prison system is broken beyond repair and should be shut down, according to a state lawmaker.

In a dramatic proposal Thursday, state Rep. James Talarico announced legislation asking his colleagues to close the state’s five juvenile prisons and dismantle the agency that runs them by 2030.

“For more than a century, kids in Texas child prisons have been beaten, raped and even murdered behind bars,” the Round Rock Democrat said at the state Capitol. “The incarceration that we inflict on our kids causes unimaginable trauma, and it leads kids to be more likely to commit crimes in the future.”

But Talarico’s measure to close the youth prisons and channel their funding into local rehabilitative systems isn’t the only drastic option on the table. Other lawmakers, and the Texas Juvenile Justice Department itself, want to address the failing system by building more prisons.
Texas Tribune
More than 100 children have died in Texas since 2020 while in the state’s child welfare system, including two who died from COVID-19 complications, according to a Texas Department of Family and Protective Services report provided to lawmakers Friday.

Forty-four children died in 2020 and 38 in 2021 while they were in the state’s care, according to a DFPS report obtained by The Texas Tribune. The numbers are on par with those reported in previous years. Twenty-two children have died in the first three months of this year, or about half the number of deaths in each of the previous five years.
Most of the deaths listed in the report were attributed to “preexisting medical conditions” or abuse suffered before the children entered the system. The report did not go into detail as to what those conditions included.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:02 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:45 pm You might be wondering why, given that the GOP is famously concerned with powerful people abusing children. But you see, what really offends them is when a child abuse agency releases a report critical of how the state government treats foster children.
Even the ones they intentionally put into foster care.

OHIO is still my go-to state for WTF stories, but Tennessee is trying to take over.
My parents moved out of a nice home in TN to get out of TN because it's going crazy. They moved to Indiana and consider it an upgrade. That's saying somehting.

MYT
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Timely. Currently Tennessee by Stephen Lynch is playing. :)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MAGA’s resident drag queen will now be known as a “costume artist”
Lady Maga is the creation Ryan Woods, a recently sober Salt Lake City native and a member of the Church of Latter-Day Saints.
Now Lady Maga says she’s not a drag queen, but a “costume artist” who is a man who dresses up in women’s clothing, wears makeup, and displays feminine mannerisms.
“As I’ve stated, I now prefer to call myself a costume artist—not a drag queen,” tweeted Lady Maga. “The drag world was a way I could use my talents, but they destroyed their credibility with predatory filth. I’m a performer. I can play any cosplay character. My artistry is about creativity & fun! 🌸

Woods, who is gay, has been doing drag for years but only came up with his MAGA-themed creation in 2019.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Biden seems to suffering through some serious problems with his sense of political calibration. Where is this mythical "common ground"?

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The common ground isn’t anything said on FOX News.

But eventually you realize you aren’t going to find common ground with a bully and have to punch back to get them to stand down.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
stessier

Post by stessier »

Saying common ground exists lets him attack the Speaker for being held captive by the extremists when they aren't able to find any.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:37 am Saying common ground exists lets him attack the Speaker for being held captive by the extremists when they aren't able to find any.
Yeah this seems like normal political rhetoric. You need to include paeans to the common ground and decency to lay the groundwork for fighting not in anger but in sorrow.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I don't think the problem is the "common ground" portion on its own. It's the combo with the both sides framing. While I recognize it is hard for Biden to keep this coalition together, he still needs to at least try. It looks like he's more interested in winning over radicals *that he has no shot of winning over* in favor of alienating people who have showed up for him. It is bad political messaging and allows pundits to point out the obvious asymmetries that indicate Biden is out of touch.

malchior

Post by malchior »

In the 'no shit sherlock' category we have this. Naturally some very serious people in the cult of Reagan have long called this a conspiracy theory and are talking about how this story is a nothingburger. I'm looking at Frum in particular but others are acting the same way.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ugh..takes a long time before the shit gets to the fan dont it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:05 pm In the 'no shit sherlock' category we have this. Naturally some very serious people in the cult of Reagan have long called this a conspiracy theory and are talking about how this story is a nothingburger. I'm looking at Frum in particular but others are acting the same way.

http://web.archive.org/web/202303190133 ... tages.html

:ninja:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wonder why he would do this? Surely there can't be any type of pending legislation for abortion or LGBTQ+ teenagers, CRT or drag shows, right?
For nearly 50 years, State Rep. Francis Thompson has represented his north Louisiana House district as a conservative Democrat, earning the title of the state's longest-serving legislator under that party's banner.

But Thompson said on Friday that he will switch parties and join House Republicans — which would give the GOP 70 House votes if all members vote along party lines, the number needed to override a veto by Democrat Gov. John Bel Edwards. Republicans already hold a supermajority in the Senate.

"Let me be clear — nothing has changed," Thompson said at a press conference Friday at the Louisiana Republican Party headquarters in Baton Rouge. "There are values and principles that I firmly hold onto that guide my decisions. My conservative voting record over the years I have served in the Legislature speaks for itself."
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I usually have problems with Sheriffs (mostly due to being elected based on Culture War BS), but this one deserves kudos!
Man Arrested After Making 'Minecraft' Death Threat To Sheriff
"What a shame" the Sheriff responded, "A 4chan troll has to come out of his room"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
because as you can see in the video recorded by body cameras below, it didn’t take long for police to locate Golden at his mother’s house and arrest him. He’ll now be extradited to Floriday to face “a felony count of writing a threat to kill”.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Tell me again why the mayor of NYC is going to be on a team helping to promote Biden for his presumed 2024 Presidential run? Mayor Adams is an absolute mess. Regarding housing:

@NYCMayor talks about a modern- single room occupancy (SRO) concept. He describes his son who has a stove that he doesn’t think he knows how to turn on. He suggests you don’t need a window in a bedroom. “You don’t need a window when you are sleeping.”
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Who needs "fresh" air or a second egress point in emergencies?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:08 pm Who needs "fresh" air or a second egress point in emergencies?
Yeah it's not like it's a code requirement in the city he runs or anything.
For a bedroom to be considered legal in NYC, it must satisfy the following requirements:
* Be a minimum of 80 square feet
* Have a minimum width of 8 feet in any dimension
* Have a minimum ceiling height of 8 feet
* At least one window measuring no less than twelve square feet
* There cannot be a need to pass through any other bedroom in order to access the bedroom
* Two means of egress, including a window and a door that can be opened from the inside
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

If you're sleeping is not like you need to egress out a window. It's New York, not Moscow.

You must hate NYC .

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The two means of egress can also be a door, a table, and a saw.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Portal gun.
That's my purse! I don't know you!