Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Pyperkub

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:46 pm So, I have not once heard the Ohio train derailment mentioned on CNBC but they just mentioned a derailment not too far from where I live (two towns away). Even the local news talking about the wreckage right now makes a spotlight of the Ohio derailment.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/train- ... police-say
"We are also in touch with the relevant federal authorities, including the EPA," she said. "At this time no one is aware of the release of any hazardous materials, the car carrying hazardous material has been put upright and is being removed from the area of the other derailed cars, and EPA is dispatching a team to ensure public safety.

MORE: Upset Ohio residents pack town hall meeting seeking answers over train derailment

The derailment happened nearly two weeks after a train went off the tracks on Ohio, in the city in East Palestine. The incident sent toxic chemicals into the air, prompting concerns of contamination in the immediate area.
Ohio Train was apparently on fire long before the derailment:

The National Transportation Safety Board obtained a doorbell video of the Norfolk Southern train before it derailed in East Palestine, Ohio. It shows the wheel bearing on one of the cars in the final stage of overheating.

It was overheating for more than 20 miles.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:04 pm Alex Jones refused to participate for years, while he concealed, destroyed and denied evidence. The judge found him liable, and now it’s only about the damages.

And the plaintiff’s lawyer just got enough evidence to destroy Alex Jones. And anyone who texted him.

His defense attorney has been trying to get a mistrial, and now is going to see Alex referred for perjury. Alex has been talking about the trial on air despite instructions to STFU, and the judge is holding requests for sanctions until the end. Alex has been warned multiple times for lying and telling mistruths under oath.

He’s tried to file bankruptcy then talked about it being to avoid the damages (fraud) on air. I assume the texts and emails are similarly damning.

He’s lost, going to have to pay, and get dinged for more penalties by the judge. And there are three more trials upcoming. Goddamn amateur.
His Bankruptcy Assets may be rather interesting...
In the section of the bankruptcy statement that asks Jones to identify property he owns or controls for somebody else, the right-wing conspiracy theorist described the items he has in limited detail.

“Holding firearms for certain January 6th participants to be provided,” the entry says.

The filing does not state why Jones, who participated in the Stop the Steal rally that preceded the attack on the Capitol, is holding the weapons for the rioters or where they are located.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Apparently Paxton news goes here

https://apnews.com/article/politics-dis ... f8a77401f4
DALLAS (AP) — Justice Department officials in Washington have taken over the corruption investigation into Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, removing the case from the hands of the federal prosecutors in Texas who’d long been leading the probe.

The move was disclosed in a statement by state prosecutors handling their own case against Paxton. It’s the latest development in the federal investigation into the attorney general, who came under FBI scrutiny in 2020 after his own top deputies accused him of bribery and abusing his office to help one of his campaign contributors, who also employed a woman with whom Paxton acknowledged having had an extramarital affair.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (Dem, California) has just got to retire. She's just not who she was and shouldn't end her career passed out at the wheel.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Unagi wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:22 am Sen. Dianne Feinstein (Dem, California) has just got to retire. She's just not who she was and shouldn't end her career passed out at the wheel.
I think she will, if she can even last 2 more years. Her attempt at a take back was more a confirmation of retirement necessity.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:21 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:22 am Sen. Dianne Feinstein (Dem, California) has just got to retire. She's just not who she was and shouldn't end her career passed out at the wheel.
I think she will, if she can even last 2 more years. Her attempt at a take back was more a confirmation of retirement necessity.
It's not clear that it was a takeback as much as further indications of mental confusion.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I try to treat myself to one food place a month when my check comes each month. So for a week Id planned to visit this little burger and icecream place near me my dad took me to as a child and me and my wife would go to. Its only 6 more days.

So I looked up reviews as its been a while and wanted to look at the menu and pricing to make sure Id be ready. Well guess I wont be going there ever again.

Someone said they fly a Trump flag at the place now. The owner then got on and did a rant about how 'Libs' are ruining the country and claiming they do all the bad stuff thats actually the Gop's doing. Said he'd pay for all of them to leave the country if they'd renounce their citizenship first.

Then another complained of the service...nothing political. The owner called them just another Karen.

And on and on with that owner. So fuck them. Guess that place is forever ruined to me. Just evil and dumb. I mean thats your business place. Guess they dont give a rats ass or are too dumb and evil to know better.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They should fully embrace the ignorance and serve Trump steaks and Trump water. Use paper towels for napkins and write their menu with a sharpie. Have a TV on the wall showing an endless loop of gorilla videos.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He should open up an Orange Judas.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:50 pm They should fully embrace the ignorance and serve Trump steaks and Trump water. Use paper towels for napkins and write their menu with a sharpie. Have a TV on the wall showing an endless loop of gorilla videos.
And bottomless cups of fresh-brewed covfefe.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:41 pm
Someone said they fly a Trump flag at the place now. The owner then got on and did a rant about how 'Libs' are ruining the country and claiming they do all the bad stuff thats actually the Gop's doing. Said he'd pay for all of them to leave the country if they'd renounce their citizenship first.

Here's your chance to get out of the country.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So the head of the RR company from the crash in Palestine, OH was on CNBC talking about how everything was being shipped out to clean.

https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news/ea ... palestine/

By clean they mean
The wastewater is being sent to Texas Molecular, which injects hazardous waste into the ground for disposal.
The Michigan "disposal site" is right between the Huron River and Bellville Lake... and not too far from me and very close to Remus West. I wonder how U.S. Ecology Wayne Disposal actually disposes of the soil. Hopefully, not the same way we recycle.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Did you know they used to use Vinyl Chloride as an aerosol inhalational anaesthetic ? Im sure that didn't go well.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:50 pm So the head of the RR company from the crash in Palestine, OH was on CNBC talking about how everything was being shipped out to clean.

https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news/ea ... palestine/

By clean they mean
The wastewater is being sent to Texas Molecular, which injects hazardous waste into the ground for disposal.
The Michigan "disposal site" is right between the Huron River and Bellville Lake... and not too far from me and very close to Remus West. I wonder how U.S. Ecology Wayne Disposal actually disposes of the soil. Hopefully, not the same way we recycle.
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/loc ... ne-county/

I guess working with government officials to make sure things are safe for decades to come means different things to the railroad than it does to me.

Wayne County Executive Warren Evans held a news conference Friday alongside U.S. Representatives Debbie Dingell and Rashida Tlaib about hazardous materials sent to Michigan.

After the train derailment in East Palestine, Ohio, tons of contaminated dirt needed somewhere to go. That somewhere was US Ecology, a waste disposal company in Van Buren Township specializing in hazardous waste.

The elected officials said its delivery blindsided them.

“Wayne County government not knowing that they’re coming, (or) which way they’re coming (or) how safe the trucks are that are coming is something that has us all very, very irritated,” said Evans.
The contaminated soil was delivered to a site in Belleville. At the same time, the contaminated wastewater was delivered to a deep well liquid injection site in Romulus.

Caught off guard by its arrival, officials questioned whether the facilities would handle the materials safely and whether they would pose any health or environmental concerns.
:x :x :x :x :x
According to Dingell, the train company Norfolk Southern initially decided to send the materials to Wayne County. She said the EPA has since taken over the Ohio derailment site and that the agency will collaborate with Michigan officials moving forward.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:23 am Turns out Walgreens exaggerated the whole thing. Perhaps because their financials were soft. And the media went along with the story for the clicks. This is what I think through when I hear about moral panics about shoplifting, needles and feces, and why I have low trust in media stories that have a subjective, data-lite approach. We are constantly being manipulated for profits.

NY Times
Hey, it's not just us - it's lawmakers in Virginia too:
Lawmakers passed a bill making it a Class 3 felony to steal more than $5,000 worth of retail from one or more stores over the course of 90 days. The law received bipartisan support in both chambers and has the full support of Governor Glenn Youngkin.

"It particularly hits our small business owners and retail shop owners," Virginia Attorney General Jason Miyares told FOX 5. "Many times they are the first to get there in the morning and the last to leave at night and they've had such a cost of doing business that has skyrocketed simply by retail theft that some of them have had to close their doors. So it was a message we were hearing loud and clear from retailers."
The Walgreens story is mentioned, but it doesn't matter.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

*Cough* Bullshit *Cough*
The Carolina law took effect December 1, but Miyares said they have seen evidence of a drop in larceny-related crimes in border towns in North Carolina compared to Virginia.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems like every time Manchin votes he just proves he is a changeling pretending to be a Democrat.

Also TN shot down medical marijuana again. Blamed it on it hurting vets. Shrug. I never expect them to pass it so Im chill.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:30 am Seems like every time Manchin votes he just proves he is a changeling pretending to be a Democrat.

Also TN shot down medical marijuana again. Blamed it on it hurting vets. Shrug. I never expect them to pass it so Im chill.
How WV elected a Dem in the first place is beyond me. If TN somehow elected one, s/he would be at least as bad. But I'm curious how legalizing medicinal weed hurts vets. That's a leap I can't even.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:30 am Seems like every time Manchin votes he just proves he is a changeling pretending to be a Democrat.

I read something somewhere once that highlighted the apathy in TN being the driving reason they have such total trash leadership. None of you can be bothered to actually give a shit was the bottom line. Not about this specific thing, just about anything. And the rest of us suffer for it. You all are chill.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

GOP + TN = Tennessee lawmaker apologizes after proposing ‘hanging by tree’ as execution method

Another day another pos.
Rep. Paul Sherrell said he “used very poor judgment” when showing support for HB1245, introduced by Rep. Dennis Powers. The bill would offer death row inmates the opportunity to die by firing squad.

At the state Criminal Justice Committee session on Tuesday, Sherrell said the bill was a “very good idea” and suggested adding an amendment that would include an option for “hanging by a tree.”

Sherrell walked back on those comments on Wednesday.
I do like how his WIKI starts......
Paul Sherrell (born March 28, 1959) is a bigoted and racist politician. He is a Republican representing District 43 in the Tennessee House of Representatives.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It didn't stay that way for long. Begun, the editing war has.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas Tribune: Ken Paxton’s whistleblowers ask Texas Supreme Court to take up their case as $3.3 million settlement in jeopardy
Attorneys for four former employees who sued after they were fired by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton asked the state Supreme Court on Wednesday to take up their whistleblower case again, worried that their $3.3 million settlement agreement may be falling apart.

The move comes after the former employees claim Paxton’s team would not agree to a deadline to finalize legislative approval of the settlement. The two sides had agreed to put the case on pause while they sought the approval of the payments from the Legislature.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is hospitalized after falling

The old boy simply tripped and ended up in the hospital. You know you're officially old when that happens.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Good thing he wasn't near any windows. I hear those things are dangerous.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thoughts and prayers.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:48 am Thoughts and prayers.
That made me choke on my cola I swear..damnit hahahaha.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

BTW, I checked and in 2021 the Kentucky legislature (over the democratic governor's veto) passed a law requiring the governor to pick a Senate replacement from a list of three people provided by the leaders of the party that the outgoing Senator belonged to.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And gov can only stall for three weeks.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

They don't gotta burn the books they just remove 'em

At the [Oklahoma] Capitol:
SB397 would make *all* libraries remove material with “a prurient interest in sex.”

This includes school and public libraries and it means for *all* ages.

A committee of community members (separate from school boards and library boards) would determine what material is allowed.

Note: the Senate gallery is full of elementary school kids.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not only that, it requires that every piece of media in every library be categorized by age. And in a public library, anything not specifically designated as being for under 16 years of age must be removed from public areas and placed into an area only accessible to staff.

In other words, once they clear out anything that would make a Victorian blush, anything left that isn't in the children's or young adult sections of the library would have to be under lock and key, and only accessible by request.

We're insane. We're completely effing insane. Maybe we really do need climate change - I'm not sure modern societies deserve to continue.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:44 pm I'd say it was a good run, but...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If you can't burn 'em, lock 'em up.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:38 pm We're insane. We're completely effing insane. Maybe we really do need climate change - I'm not sure modern societies deserve to continue.
Is the Oaklahoma legislature really representative of the whole of modern society?

And if this is deserving of a restart, we're just the latest in a long line of societies deserving of a wipe over the past few millennia.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

The trouble is that the red states all move legislatively in herds. Once these fascist book bans get rolling they'll spread to 20 or so states over the next year or two along with the rest of the fascist garbage they are working on in their little 'laboratories of fascism'.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:02 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:38 pm We're insane. We're completely effing insane. Maybe we really do need climate change - I'm not sure modern societies deserve to continue.
Is the Oaklahoma legislature really representative of the whole of modern society?

And if this is deserving of a restart, we're just the latest in a long line of societies deserving of a wipe over the past few millennia.

To the first, somewhat, sadly.

As to the rest, it was hyperbole, not a serious segue into supervillainy.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:12 pm The trouble is that the red states all move legislatively in herds. Once these fascist book bans get rolling they'll spread to 20 or so states over the next year or two along with the rest of the fascist garbage they are working on in their little 'laboratories of fascism'.
Speaking of moving and herds, isn’t that really the way this sorts itself out in the long run? How far do these red states have to go before people have second thoughts about moving there or remaining there? I know that doesn’t help the people who are stuck there, but, over time, the popularity of these measures should, to some extent, be observed in the success of the state in attracting new residents and businesses or in retaining the ones that are already there.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:13 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:12 pm The trouble is that the red states all move legislatively in herds. Once these fascist book bans get rolling they'll spread to 20 or so states over the next year or two along with the rest of the fascist garbage they are working on in their little 'laboratories of fascism'.
Speaking of moving and herds, isn’t that really the way this sorts itself out in the long run? How far do these red states have to go before people have second thoughts about moving there or remaining there? I know that doesn’t help the people who are stuck there, but, over time, the popularity of these measures should, to some extent, be observed in the success of the state in attracting new residents and businesses or in retaining the ones that are already there.
Gotta keep those voters ignorant and compliant. Don't want them getting unsanctioned ideas.

I grew up in a red city in a purple state, and it wasn't until I was a teen that I realized things weren't like that everywhere. Once I learned that, I couldn't wait to move away.

Unfortunately for your observation, people are migrating TO those red states. Well, maybe not to OK, but FL sure is growing and they're leading the downhill charge.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I had a weird dream where I was playing a video game and Florida Man was the villain. I was fighting a series of pitched battles to keep him from getting to a castle. The criteria was once he got in the castle you could never get him out.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:31 pm
Gotta keep those voters ignorant and compliant. Don't want them getting unsanctioned ideas.

I grew up in a red city in a purple state, and it wasn't until I was a teen that I realized things weren't like that everywhere. Once I learned that, I couldn't wait to move away.

Unfortunately for your observation, people are migrating TO those red states. Well, maybe not to OK, but FL sure is growing and they're leading the downhill charge.
Anecdotally, I hear of women refusing to college in red states because of the current Supreme Court and its rulings. Fewer women will = fewer men will = fewer students, in general. I guess one way to keep them ignorant would be by shooing out all those who want modern medical care, but not a great way to keep people generally in state.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:06 am
Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:31 pm

Anecdotally, I hear of women refusing to college in red states because of the current Supreme Court and its rulings. Fewer women = will fewer men = will fewer students, in general. I guess one way to keep them ignorant would be by shooing out all those who want modern medical care, but not a great way to keep people generally in state.
That’s kind of my point: Sure, people are still moving to FL. My family is in Jacksonville and moved there in 2015. But back then, FL looked a lot more purple, and it didn’t have an opportunistic culture war zealot as governor. And even now, with three kids in public school, their lives are not really impacted by all of the Desantis bullshit.

How much book banning and “Don’t Say Gay” shit has to happen before people stop seeing FL as a place they want to be? Alternatively, if some people see those as features and not bugs and are further incentivized to move to FL, how long before FL becomes a big version of Oklahoma, a place no one is clamoring to move to?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳