2024 Fundraising - $329 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Pyperkub

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:59 pm I love Rip’s coffee cup posts. He usually doesn’t realize he’s also proving many of us right about this administration. Just because someone else did something wrong doesn’t mean you’re vindicated in any way. :lol:
Eh, if Tony Podesta bent the law, especially for manafort, he deserves to pay the price as well. If Mueller comes up with evidence which implicates John Podesta, that goes as well.

However, at this point in time, I think this is mostly about putting Manafort under the microscope, and the right wing is desperate to link John Podesta in any way possible so that they can attack and make their base happy rather than trying to get to the bottom of this, and ensuring it doesn't happen again (as well as isn't an ongoing cover-up).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:50 pm The Trump administration is going to argue a non-disclosure agreement is non-binding? Make my day.
An informant for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is under a gag order that prevents him from testifying before the United States Congress that Russian nuclear officials were involved in fraudulent dealings in 2009 before the Uranium One deal was approved.

Former Attorney General Loretta Lynch blocked the informant from testifying last year and threatened criminal action against him if he were to do so.

In an interview with FOX Business’ Loud Dobbs, Victoria Toensing, the attorney representing the FBI informant, said she has never heard of a criminal penalty for breaching a non-disclosure agreement (NDA).

“If it does and it is unconstitutional and it’s invalid, if it prohibits my client from giving information to the legislature, the executive cannot say to people, ‘Hey, you can’t give information to another body of the government,’” Toensing said.
The former Reagan Justice Department official and former chief counsel of the Senate Intelligence Committee said the impact of her client’s knowledge of the Russians’ ability to use the Clintons’ position of power is significant.

“He can tell what all the Russians were talking about during the time that all these bribery payments were made,” Toensing said on “Lou Dobbs Tonight.”

The House Oversight Committee is investigating the Obama-era Uranium One deal, and Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-Florida) is calling for the Justice Department to remove the NDA that prevents the former FBI informant from testifying.

“We are glad Ron DeSantis is doing it because he is a former federal prosecutor, and he is a go-getter on this and I think he’ll do a great job,” Toensing said.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/201 ... -says.html
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That's called getting an informant to cooperate in an investigation and not torpedo it. The lawyer for the informant is probably playing the Trump administration for a pardon.

But with that precedent, I await your excuses when Trump's people turn on him.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rip

Post by Rip »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:40 am That's called getting an informant to cooperate in an investigation and not torpedo it. The lawyer for the informant is probably playing the Trump administration for a pardon.

But with that precedent, I await your excuses when Trump's people turn on him.
That is done with immunity not NDAs.

It doesn't have anything to do with Trump, unless you are suggesting he had something to do with FusionOne?
— Benjamin Rush
--
Rip

Post by Rip »

Sounds like we'll finally find out.
The Justice Department on Wednesday night released a former FBI informant from a confidentiality agreement, allowing him to testify before Congress about what he witnessed undercover about the Russian nuclear industry’s efforts to win favorable decisions during the Obama administration.

Justice Department spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores confirmed to The Hill a deal had been reached clearing the informant to talk to Congress for the first tie, nearly eight years after he first went undercover for the FBI.

“As of tonight, the Department of Justice has authorized the informant to disclose to the Chairmen and Ranking Members of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary, the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, and the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, as well as one member of each of their staffs, any information or documents he has concerning alleged corruption or bribery involving transactions in the uranium market, including but not limited to anything related to Vadim Mikerin, Rosatom, Tenex, Uranium One, or the Clinton Foundation,” she said.
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3572 ... ify-before
— Benjamin Rush
--
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Looking forward to it.

Can you link it when it happens? I'm not following it closely and you have been my only source for this. I'm sure it will meet your expectations, so there will be no reason to suddenly start ignoring it.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:01 pm Looking forward to it.

Can you link it when it happens? I'm not following it closely and you have been my only source for this. I'm sure it will meet your expectations, so there will be no reason to suddenly start ignoring it.
I'm certain it will absolutely pass muster and not be based on fever dreams from Breitbart and it's ilk. That being said, if there is actual real evidence unlike BENGHAZI!!!!! then bring it on. I'm happy to see justice done.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Whatever this person knew was not enough to bring an indictment so they were either compromised or it was a heap of junk. Either way this person were released to muddy the pool...not to bring transparency. The chance this is a sham is very high.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Well, given that this is the darkest timeline, George H. W. Bush is being accused of sexual assault.
In a now deleted Instagram post published on her verified account Tuesday, actress Heather Lind wrote that she was "disturbed today by a photo I saw of President Barack Obama shaking hands with George H. W. Bush in a gathering of ex-presidents organising aid to states and territories damaged by recent hurricanes."

"I found it disturbing because I recognize the respect ex-presidents are given for having served," Lind wrote. "And I feel pride and reverence toward many of the men in the photo."

Lind did not mention the name of the event where the alleged touching took place, nor did she specify in her post the manner in which she was touched. She said in her caption that she was there with the Bushes to promote a TV show.

"But when I got the chance to meet George H. W. Bush four years ago to promote a historical television show I was working on, he sexually assaulted me while I was posing for a similar photo," the post went on to say. "He didn't shake my hand. He touched me from behind from his wheelchair with his wife Barbara Bush by his side. He told me a dirty joke. And then, all the while being photographed, touched me again."
Bush's apology, given through Jim McGrath, his former spokesman:
"At age 93, President Bush has been confined to a wheelchair for roughly five years, so his arm falls on the lower waist of people with whom he takes pictures," McGrath said. "To try to put people at ease, the president routinely tells the same joke — and on occasion, he has patted women's rears in what he intended to be a good-natured manner. Some have seen it as innocent; others clearly view it as inappropriate. To anyone he has offended, President Bush apologizes most sincerely."
Hodor.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

When the Bush grabs you.

There, someone said it.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Does it make me a bad person to laugh at that?
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No, but there are plenty of actual reasons. :P
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Georgia
A computer server crucial to a lawsuit against Georgia election officials was quietly wiped clean by its custodians just after the suit was filed, The Associated Press has learned.

The server’s data was destroyed July 7 by technicians at the Center for Elections Systems at Kennesaw State University, which runs the state’s election system. The data wipe was revealed in an email — sent last week from an assistant state attorney general to plaintiffs in the case — that was obtained by the AP. More emails obtained in a public records request confirmed the wipe.

The lawsuit, filed by a diverse group of election reform advocates, aims to force Georgia to retire its antiquated and heavily criticized election technology. The server in question, which served as a statewide staging location for key election-related data, made national headlines in June after a security expert disclosed a gaping security hole that wasn’t fixed six months after he reported it to election authorities.

It’s not clear who ordered the server’s data irretrievably erased.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:57 am No, but there are plenty of actual reasons. :P
:wub:
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Good lord is this repugnant. I'm completely ashamed of my country when things like this happen.

The short version is a 10-year girl with cerebral palsy was on way to the hospital for emergency gall bladder surgery. The border patrol stopped it and tried to convince the family to send the girl to a mexican hospital for treatment. The family refused and the border patrol eventually allowed her to continue to hospital for the emergency surgery. However they guarded her room and then detained her when she was discharged. Ridiculous. Unconscionable if this is accurately described. What kind of country do we want to live in?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Trumpism Works Better Without Trump
He sends mean tweets and sometimes blocks his critics from following him. He bashes the press. He gives people demeaning nicknames, like “Peeping Tom.” Scholars say he has authoritarian tendencies. Liberals say he abuses his power. Sometimes fellow Republicans are worried about that too. He is against taking down Confederate monuments, encouraging people to enroll in Obamacare or releasing his tax returns. He is for describing the white nationalist rally in Charlottesville in August as a problem with two sides, constantly bashing his Democratic predecessor and rolling back government regulations whenever possible.

He is … Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:45 pm Good lord is this repugnant. I'm completely ashamed of my country when things like this happen.

The short version is a 10-year girl with cerebral palsy was on way to the hospital for emergency gall bladder surgery. The border patrol stopped it and tried to convince the family to send the girl to a mexican hospital for treatment. The family refused and the border patrol eventually allowed her to continue to hospital for the emergency surgery. However they guarded her room and then detained her when she was discharged. Ridiculous. Unconscionable if this is accurately described. What kind of country do we want to live in?
I unfriended my first person ever on FB over this story last night. An ultra-conservative former work colleague commented that no one is against legal immigration, but that we liberals were all "idiots and morons" because we keep pushing questionable stories that are nothing more than ploys for sympathy and attention.

If someone thinks this is acceptable behavior simply because the person in question might be in the country illegally, then that's someone I don't need to have any interaction with at any level.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

link

Backstory: CNN's Tapper made the 100% accurate comment that "Allahu Akbar" is a phrase of prayer and that it is said my most Muslims many times a day.

On his show, Hannity (along with Propaganda Minister Herr Doktor Gorka) insisted that stating this fact makes him a terrorist ally.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This is for DeVos and Snyder and Trump and corporate Tax Cuts disguised as breaks for the tax payer.

http://michiganradio.org/post/sen-knoll ... t-happened
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:35 pm This is for DeVos and Snyder and Trump and corporate Tax Cuts disguised as breaks for the tax payer.

http://michiganradio.org/post/sen-knoll ... t-happened
That's shameful.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

According to InfoWars, Hitler is still alive, and the American government is covering that fact up.
OWEN SHROYER (GUEST HOST) wrote:Welcome in to The Alex Jones Show folks. It’s amazing, here we are, so much news and the news is so big and the news is so frequent that the biggest news every day becomes a back-page story the next day. The Las Vegas massacre cover-up, nothing. The JFK files being declassified, Hitler still alive. All the history textbooks lied to us. I was lied to my entire life about JFK, knowingly, by my government. I was lied to my entire life about Hitler, knowingly, by my government. And that’s just a nonstory now because you’ve got another radical truck running people down in the streets.
Hodor.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:10 am According to InfoWars, Hitler is still alive, and the American government is covering that fact up.
OWEN SHROYER (GUEST HOST) wrote:Welcome in to The Alex Jones Show folks. It’s amazing, here we are, so much news and the news is so big and the news is so frequent that the biggest news every day becomes a back-page story the next day. The Las Vegas massacre cover-up, nothing. The JFK files being declassified, Hitler still alive. All the history textbooks lied to us. I was lied to my entire life about JFK, knowingly, by my government. I was lied to my entire life about Hitler, knowingly, by my government. And that’s just a nonstory now because you’ve got another radical truck running people down in the streets.
Can't wait to think about this when I invariably pass some ass-hat with an InfoWars sticker on the back of his car during my morning commute. :roll:
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Someone needs to ask Hitler what his secrets to longevity are. Dude is 128!
Black Lives Matter
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I remember the good ol' days of seeing the Weekly World News in the checkout aisle at the grocery store and thinking that it was great satire. But today no one could see it as satire anymore. It's too similar to InfoWars and other nutjob "news" sources that are consumed by millions of people who believe it. I assume Alex Jones and his ilk are just political equivalents of televangelists, playing a part to scam suckers to line their pockets. But it's a sad commentary on the ignorance and gullibility of Americans that they willfully consume this hateful nonsense.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

As a follow up, InfoWars brought Roger Stone on to explain that Shroyer meant that the JFK files showed that Hitler wasn't assassinated in 1945 but escaped to South America and died there (hello Boys from Brazil) some time later. And that liberals are all up in arms because they misinterpreted Shroyer to mean that Hitler was still alive.

Yeah. Sure. That's some nice backtracking there.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Bowe Bergdahl's sentencing in his court martial for desertion came down today. He was sentenced to a dishonorable discharge from the Army, no prison time.

This is in part because Trump couldn't keep his mouth shut about Bergdahl, saying that Bergdahl should be executed.

Naturally, Trump is displeased.

Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If anyone is qualified to know what it's like to be a disgrace to our country and our military, it's him.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Indeed.

I wasn't even aware there was a Bergdahl thread, either. Whoops!
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No worries.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fastest anti-corruption committee in the Middle East:
Saudi Arabia announced the arrest on Saturday night of the prominent billionaire investor Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, plus at least 10 other princes, four ministers and tens of former ministers.
He controls the investment firm Kingdom Holding and is one of the world’s richest men, with major stakes in News Corp, Citigroup, Twitter and many other well-known companies. The prince also controls satellite television networks watched across the Arab world.

The sweeping campaign of arrests appears to be the latest move to consolidate the power of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the favorite son and top adviser of King Salman.
The king had decreed the creation of a powerful new anti-corruption committee, headed by the crown prince, only hours before the committee ordered the arrests.

Al Arabiya said that the anticorruption committee has the right to investigate, arrest, ban from travel, or freeze the assets of anyone it deems corrupt.

The Ritz Carlton hotel in Riyadh, the de facto royal hotel, was evacuated on Saturday, stirring rumors that it would be used to house detained royals. The airport for private planes was closed, arousing speculation that the crown prince was seeking to block rich businessmen from fleeing before more arrests.
But his swift rise has also divided Saudis. Many applaud his vision, crediting him with addressing the economic problems facing the kingdom and laying out a plan to move beyond its dependence on oil.

Others see him as brash, power-hungry and inexperienced, and they resent him for bypassing his elder relatives and concentrating so much power in one branch of the family.
The arrests came a few hours after the king replaced the minister in charge of the Saudi national guard, Prince Mutaib bin Abdullah, who controlled the last of the three Saudi armed forces not yet considered to be under control of the crown prince.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Palace intrigue! At least they aren't poisoners.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm not a business news type, but I can't help noticing that the Saudi purge (which seems to have hit some of the most powerful businessmen in the kingdom) follows on Kushner's secret visit to Riyadh (which seems to have involved neither State nor Defense) and Trump's weird and unpresidential invitation to the pro-Trump Crown Prince to do its Aramco IPO on the New York Stock Exchange.

What are the odds that Trumps are profiting personally here?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Saudi Prince Dies in Helicopter Crash Near Yemen Border

I suppose that's one way to deal with corruption.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:56 am I'm not a business news type, but I can't help noticing that the Saudi purge (which seems to have hit some of the most powerful businessmen in the kingdom) follows on Kushner's secret visit to Riyadh (which seems to have involved neither State nor Defense) and Trump's weird and unpresidential invitation to the pro-Trump Crown Prince to do its Aramco IPO on the New York Stock Exchange.

What are the odds that Trumps are profiting personally here?
Sith Kushner plays a long game in pursuit of power. His daddy in law just likes the pretty sand and the funny horsies with the bumps on their backs.
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

At this moment, Obama is two blocks away from me at the Daley Center - reporting for jury duty. i can only imagine the chaos if gets picked for a jury, but good for him for showing up. I'm sure he could have found a way to get excused without showing up.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wasn't sure where to put this, so it goes here. Alex Jones rants about how Antifa and "the media" gave the Texas shooter permission to kill"
“You got your permission from Antifa and the media to go out—yeah, your mother-in-law is there and there are a bunch of Christians and you hate them and you’re a big leftist Antifa,” Jones said. “And you know what? You’ll kill two birds with one stone. You got permission to be a sack of crap. You’re going to go in there and kill a bunch of people.”
In a sane reality, we would all simply write this off as a lunatic spouting lunatic things. However, when he has the direct ear of Dear Leader and his lunacy continues to gain mainstream credibility as a result? That's just...incredibly troubling.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, it nothing to do with his mental health or domestic family issues :
The man who killed more than 20 people at a small Texas church escaped from a mental health facility five years ago after sneaking guns onto an Air Force base and making threats against commanders, according to a police report.
Officials had said there was a domestic situation involving Kelley, but didn't go into any details.
Kelley had also expressed anger toward his mother-in-law, Martin said.

His grandmother-in-law was killed during the attack, multiple friends of the woman told CNN.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:17 pm At this moment, Obama is two blocks away from me at the Daley Center - reporting for jury duty. i can only imagine the chaos if gets picked for a jury, but good for him for showing up. I'm sure he could have found a way to get excused without showing up.
George W. Bush shows up for jury duty

He didn't make the cut.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Moliere wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:55 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:17 pm At this moment, Obama is two blocks away from me at the Daley Center - reporting for jury duty. i can only imagine the chaos if gets picked for a jury, but good for him for showing up. I'm sure he could have found a way to get excused without showing up.
George W. Bush shows up for jury duty

He didn't make the cut.
I think we need Isgrimnur to research whether any former President has ever actually been selected on a jury.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CSM, 2006
In fact, no modern court has had a sitting president on a jury. Ronald Reagan came the closest when he was summoned in the 1980s by Santa Barbara County, Calif. He was granted a deferment until he was out of office.