Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Political Randomness

Post by LordMortis »

I have both helped and been helped by strangers in split second dangerous situations. I used to have such faith that this is just what it means to a person. Then the 21st century started gaining steam mover time. I still try to do what I can for strangers around me but my faith in them is low.

Heck, over winter on one of my walks, a drunk crippled man was trying to walk home but couldn't find his balance and was collapsed in the snow getting snowed on with pants fallen down to mid thigh. I shouldered him near a mile walk to his home, worried about getting COVID from the long walk with heavy and heavy drunken breathing the whole way but I did it. Got him to his door and then I wouldn't go inside to help him get to wherever he needed to be because at that time I feared the danger of entering his home and whatever could come from that. I spent a week riddled with guilt that I didn't do more and kept walking past his house hoping not to see emergency gathering for having abandoned him. Not split second life saving, but example of both doing what needs to be done, and having reached such a low point in my fellow man that my fight or flight will kick in before cross the last hurdle.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Good to see Justin Amash finally ascend into his inevitable final form - libertarian nutjob.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What is E-Verify?
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:31 pm What is E-Verify?
How an employer can check to see if you're eligible to work in the United States. Voluntary for most jobs, possibly required for others.

Has there been some suggestion that Nazis should be prohibited from jobs? I would support that.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's an online I9. Also a straight line to the Illuminati controlling our precious bodily fluids.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Risk your life for the life of a loved pet who’s life you are responsible for, who know nothing of the dangers of the road and cars.

Vs.

Risk your life for the life of a person you don’t know at all but who should have some understanding of the way roads work.

I’d like to think I would risk my life for both, but I bet that risking it for the dog I’m responsible for may compel me more readily.

Party also because I would weigh the chance that the dog may realize it’s situation and save themselves is lower.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What Is E-Verify? Republicans Push To Expand Controversial Program Limiting Undocumented Workers—Despite Some GOP Pushback
E-Verify is a website operated by the Department of Homeland Security that allows employers to confirm the immigration status of their employees using information from federal I-9 forms, ensuring that an employee is allowed to work under immigration rules.

The system was introduced as a voluntary pilot program in six states in 1996 through the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act, and it was expanded in 2007 to require all federal government agencies to sign up and again in 2009 for companies that receive federal contracts.

E-Verify is already required for either public or private employers in 22 states, including 14 with Republican governors—though it’s been widely criticized by immigration groups and by some congressional Republicans, who argue it could weaken the agricultural industry, which relies heavily on migrant labor.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:00 pm What Is E-Verify? Republicans Push To Expand Controversial Program Limiting Undocumented Workers—Despite Some GOP Pushback
E-Verify is a website operated by the Department of Homeland Security that allows employers to confirm the immigration status of their employees using information from federal I-9 forms, ensuring that an employee is allowed to work under immigration rules.

The system was introduced as a voluntary pilot program in six states in 1996 through the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act, and it was expanded in 2007 to require all federal government agencies to sign up and again in 2009 for companies that receive federal contracts.

E-Verify is already required for either public or private employers in 22 states, including 14 with Republican governors—though it’s been widely criticized by immigration groups and by some congressional Republicans, who argue it could weaken the agricultural industry, which relies heavily on migrant labor.
TBH, I give DeSantis credit for not removing this from the FLA immigration bill. Mandatory eVerify is kind of my litmus test for ANY republican immigration reform. If it's there, they are at least going after the low hanging fruit.

It should be combined with other things, but any Republican who bitches about Immigration and also yanks mandatory eVerify from any legislation is full of hooey.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Agreed. But I’m not convinced it won’t be shooting ourselves in the foot.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote:Agreed. But I’m not convinced it won’t be shooting ourselves in the foot.
Some other things needed are work permits while attempting to legally immigrate, a path to citizenship and minimum wage/ health care enforcement for the companies hiring under the table and threatening workers with deportation if they complain.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Businesses should not have the power to determine whether someone stays or goes.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:04 pm Businesses should not have the power to determine whether someone stays or goes.
Haven't work (and school) visas always worked that way? Or at least for like a hundred years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Look, I feel sorry for her having to deal with a declining mental state in her old age but WHY THE HELL IS SHE STILL IN OFFICE?!?

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, that shit needs to go. I thank her (MOST SINCERELY) for her service but this is totally stupid.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yup. What’s the mechanism if she’s unwilling? Impeachment?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:02 pm Yup. What’s the mechanism if she’s unwilling? Impeachment?
Sen. Dianne Feinstein announced she will not run for reelection in 2024

I mean, the GOP may seem totally OK to impeach her, but probably not, mainly since her seat is an easy (D). They would rather she sat in the hospital, playing Senator, for another year.

We could ask her to step down... that would make more sense... but the "gentlemen" in that position seem to think that's off the table (or they have asked her secretly, and she has told them to suck an egg).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:09 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:02 pm Yup. What’s the mechanism if she’s unwilling? Impeachment?

I mean, the GOP may seem totally OK to impeach her, but probably not, mainly since her seat is an easy (D). They would rather she sat in the hospital, playing Senator, for another year.

We could ask her to step down... that would make more sense... but the "gentlemen" in that position seem to think that's off the table (or they have asked her secretly, and she has told them to suck an egg).
Yeah, the GOP has no reason to push her out. Her replacement is going to be a D, so they'd much rather have a semi-functional and often absent senator in her seat. Theoretically I imagine that Feinstein could be expelled (not sure if anyone has ever been expelled not for misconduct but for diminished capacity), but good luck getting to a majority even with Democrats, given Manchin, Sinema, and "Senate collegiality".

The only possible exit ramps before her term expires in Jan. 2025 are: (1) her staff manages to get her to resign; or (2) some close relative of her initiates some guardianship-type proceeding on the grounds of diminished capacity and then resigns her seat on her behalf (which who knows if that would work, and surely would be an enormous shit-show).
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I was suggesting that the D’s would impeach her, definitely not the R’s! They’re totally ok with the current situation, I’m sure.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:28 pm

I was suggesting that the D’s would impeach her, definitely not the R’s! They’re totally ok with the current situation, I’m sure.
Would the impeachment still have to start in the House?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Above my pay grade. I’m asking from a point of near total ignorance about such things.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:31 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 12:28 pm

Would the impeachment still have to start in the House?
Yes. Only the House can impeach, and only the Senate can convict.

If Democrats were going to force Feinstein out, and they 1,000% are not, I'm assuming that it would be via expulsion not impeachment.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is a situation where you'd hope someone had the humility and sense of self to recognize they're long overdue for retirement. But that moment (likely) passed over a decade ago, so apparently it's a continue to failure situation.

Regardless, you know that she's ill-suited because the GOP isn't saying or doing anything about it. Instead, they'll only take action if there's an active press to have her replaced. Currently she's serving the purpose that fits their agenda.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Could Feinstein be recalled, or is that a state-level official only process? Doubt that would happen either and even if so would take some time, but curious.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

EDIT: Nope
Any attempt by a state to recall a member of Congress is prohibited by the Federal Constitution. A vacancy in the office of U.S. senator or representative can be created only by the incumbent's death or resignation, the expiration of his term, or some direct action of the body (the Senate or the House of Representatives) which is empowered to expel members (Burton v. U.S. 202 US 344, at 369). There is no constitutional authority to hold a special election that would be required to fill a seat in the event a member was recalled. Article I, section 4 of the Federal Constitution relating to the time for holding a regular election and Article XVII of the Amendments on holding a special election only when a vacancy exists combine to preclude an election to replace a member of Congress who had been recalled. Federal constitutional provisions supersede any state recall procedures for these offices.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Philadelphia's primary elections for mayor (and some other offices) happened yesterday. I'm disappointed in the result.

Philadelphia hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1947, so the Democratic primary winner will definitely be the next mayor. She is Cherelle Parker, and she'll be the first woman ever elected to the office. Unfortunately she is also fairly conservative for a Democrat, and she is allied with the political machine that has made meaningful change difficult for as long as I have lived in Philadelphia. The obvious comparison is to NYC's Eric Adams.

My choice was Helen Gym, the most progressive candidate in the field. She tacked left in this race (getting events with Bernie and AOC, for example), which put her into direct competition with a third candidate running in the progressive-but-not-too-progressive lane. Most of all, though, Gym has been a genuine friend of my wife since before Gym ever even ran for city council. She's a person of high intelligence and high integrity, and she would have been a great mayor.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote:

Yeah, the GOP has no reason to push her out. Her replacement is going to be a D, so they'd much rather have a semi-functional and often absent senator in her seat. Theoretically I imagine that Feinstein could be expelled (not sure if anyone has ever been expelled not for misconduct but for diminished capacity), but good luck getting to a majority even with Democrats, given Manchin, Sinema, and "Senate collegiality".

The only possible exit ramps before her term expires in Jan. 2025 are: (1) her staff manages to get her to resign; or (2) some close relative of her initiates some guardianship-type proceeding on the grounds of diminished capacity and then resigns her seat on her behalf (which who knows if that would work, and surely would be an enormous shit-show).
The other factor is that the Republicans have said that, at least regarding her judicial committee appointment, they wouldn't vote to seat the replacement, so the committee would be deadlocked at 50-50.

So resigning/ death/ other are not options.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

On the one hand, why do they keep referring to this dipshit as the "Pentagon leaker" when he had nothing at all to do with the Pentagon aside from wearing a uniform. On the other hand, there had better be consequences for the people who knew he was a loose cannon and didn't take stronger action to shut him down. They had ample opportunities to prevent these leaks from happening, and they let it slide.

Suspected Pentagon leaker was warned multiple times, prosecutors say
The court filing from justice department prosecutors on Wednesday alleged Mr Teixeira's superiors had flagged "concerning actions" around Mr Teixeira's handling of classified information.

It said that on one occasion he was seen taking notes and putting them in his pocket. His superiors then asked him to stop taking notes in any form on classified information, prosecutors said.

A month later, Mr Teixeira's bosses discovered he was "potentially ignoring a cease-and-desist order on deep diving into intelligence" after he went to a classified briefing and posed "very specific questions" about what was discussed. They told him to stop and "focus on his job", the court filing said.

Then, in February 2023, after someone saw the airman viewing intelligence information that was "not related to his primary duty", Mr Teixeira's supervisors were notified, according to the court document. It is unclear if he was disciplined.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

LOL

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Standard dress for all Florida state government employees comes with complimentary white hood.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I see poor ol’ Ann is feeling left out again. Jesus.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Daehawk wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:19 pm Standard dress for all Florida state government employees comes with complimentary white hood.

Enlarge Image
Is she saying Black people don't tip? Is that a common racist slur, or is this just Ann Coulter making up a new one?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Kurth wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:49 am
Daehawk wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:19 pm Standard dress for all Florida state government employees comes with complimentary white hood.

Enlarge Image
Is she saying Black people don't tip? Is that a common racist slur, or is this just Ann Coulter making up a new one?
I just read it as business with decline by 0%. But I'm often naive when people speak in codes.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It’s that “black people don’t tip. “
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:25 am
Kurth wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:49 am

Enlarge Image
I just read it as business with decline by 0%. But I'm often naive when people speak in codes.
That was how I read it when I first saw it. But when I went back and re-read it, that it specifies tips (and not business or some more general terms), it's hard to read it as anything other than "black people don't tip." Which is also a new stereotype to me.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Wow. I thought that was well-known. It might be regional.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:45 am Wow. I thought that was well-known. It might be regional.
Well Boston is famously non-racist.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:47 am
malchior wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:45 am Wow. I thought that was well-known. It might be regional.
LOL. I unfortunately schooled with actual white supremacists in upstate NY (which is way, way, way more racist than most people realize). I was at parties where people would arrive and shout 'White Power' and we'd collectively be like...wtf.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:50 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:47 am
LOL. I unfortunately schooled with actual white supremacists in upstate NY (which is way, way, way more racist than most people realize). I was at parties where people would arrive and shout 'White Power' and we'd collectively be like...wtf.
[Just to be clear that was a joke about Boston's reputation not an assertion of fact]

I am sort of curious to what extent Boston is actually more racist than lots of places vs. just there being tons of racism everywhere.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Boston: "We're racist!"

North Carolina: "Hold my beer."