Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

Post by El Guapo »

Personally I just need someone to PM me if the consensus goes from "completely unplayable on the XBox One" to "potentially worth playing on the XBox One." Though my current understanding is that that's going to happen quarter to never.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Well for $25 bucks I figured I’d give this a whirl. Hope it doesn’t suck too badly but it seems that the big patch brought it to a playable state. :D
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It already was in a playable state. What it lacked was polish. Hopefully this double patch provides just that.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There is a free trial (5 hours playtime) for PS5/Xbox Series X|S, availble until 15 March.

Love It or Burn It
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:36 pm It already was in a playable state. What it lacked was polish. Hopefully this double patch provides just that.
I thought the console version had a few more issues than the PC version pre patch but regardless it seems that the new PS5 version has had favorable reviews so I'm a happy consumer. :)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah, you didn't specify platform. I assumed (wrongly) that you were referring to the PC version.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:43 am Ah, you didn't specify platform. I assumed (wrongly) that you were referring to the PC version.
No worries! These days my shooters and big open world stuff are being played on my PlayStation and I forget to make the distinction.
Black lives matter!

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I played about 2 hours on the PS5 this morning and so far so good. I didn't notice any bugs, the game ran really smooth (On the Ray Tracing 30fps option) and it looks pretty good.

Now I just need to figure out good settings for the aim controls because I can't aim for shit in this game for some reason.
FTE
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Downloaded the (58Gb!) demo last night for the PS5. Only played for about an hour but looks really good and runs smoothly in performance mood. But damn did I make one ugly character.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Scraper wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:48 am I played about 2 hours on the PS5 this morning and so far so good. I didn't notice any bugs, the game ran really smooth (On the Ray Tracing 30fps option) and it looks pretty good.

Now I just need to figure out good settings for the aim controls because I can't aim for shit in this game for some reason.
My aim is pretty shite too. I'd expect that if I were some young gangbanger fresh off the street but I thought I was supposed to be a little seasoned at this sort of thing. Does your character get better with experience or is it just "floaty"? I'm also spoiled by how melee with a sword is handled in Ghost of Tsushima. It's rather in elegant in this game. It seems like an interesting world to play in though and it's early in the game for me so I'm still interested in seeing how it all works out...at least until Horizon Forbidden West unlocks!
Black lives matter!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its strange that a company that made the Witcher series which is all swords didn't do swords good.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Last summer I bought a dirt cheap eBay PS4 copy of Cyberpunk in anticipation of the free PS5 upgrade. Downloading now. :horse:
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:14 am Its strange that a company that made the Witcher series which is all swords didn't do swords good.
I don’t know if it’s that they didn’t do it well or due to swords being the primary weapon of choice, the Ghost of Tsushima developers really had to make sword combat top notch so it just stands out. Also, it’s been a while but for all I know the swordplay in The Witcher could also have been similar.

My character doesn’t necessarily need to be a katana wielding cyberpunk but I hope she learns to shoot better as the game goes on…
Black lives matter!

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

A katana-wielding cyberpunk can be very combat-effective, even if the swordplay itself isn't as elegant as in a game that focuses on it. As with firearms, it's largely a matter of putting together the right build and acquiring or crafting good gear.

I'm starting to get the itch for another play-through. I put in about 290 hours across 2 runs last year, but I think I have at least one more in me.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's also first person, which is a whole different beast when it comes to swordplay. Much of the Witcher's swordplay is based on situational awareness and movement that is lacking in first person, and the swords, while iconic for cyberpunk (whether the protagonist is a Hiro or not), aren't the primary focus.

Speaking of which, I just launched my playthrough this morning. I was 25-30 hours in right after release when I stopped to wait for the 'polish' patches. A couple of months ago I started looking, and it seemed like the smart choice was to wait for 1.5 to be released (and 1.5 contains 1.4 as well, so it's a double patch.) So, I spent an hour and a half on character creation. A lot of that was relearning just what the stats are, how the character builds work, and how I want to play. The rest of the time was spent customizing my vagina.

I'm going with a quick character, cybernetics, hacking, pistols, possibly some sniping.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:54 pm I was 25-30 hours in right after release when I stopped to wait for the 'polish' patches.
I was wondering why my character was suddenly unable to change a light bulb!
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently there has been a lot of nerfing, er, combat rebalancing that wasn't explicitly documented in the patch notes.

Undocumented balance changes
  • The maximum number of mod slots you can have across all clothing items was reduced from 20 to 9
  • Legendary mods now require legendary pieces of clothing to be equipped
  • Every mod is now tied to a specific category of clothing (i.e. Deadeye crit mod can only be equipped in eyewear gear)
  • Your default crit damage has been reduced from 100% to 50% and every point in Reflexes now gives 0.25% crit chance instead of 1%
  • Crit chance and crit damage of legendary weapons has been significantly reduced across the board
  • Stat requirements on some of the best legendary weapons have been increased (i.e. Comrade's Hammer now requires 10 body instead of 6 to use properly)
  • Legendary armadillo mods now give 75 armor per mod instead of 270
  • Evasion has been replaced with Mitigation. It is governed by 2 stats, similar to crit chance and crit damage. You have mitigation chance and mitigation amount, for example you can have a 10% chance to mitigate 50% of damage on hit.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That should help with the balance issues, especially in the late game. From what I understand the late game could easily become like 'story mode' on the hardest difficulty.

They've also apparently tweaked the economy so that you can eventually afford good stuff without having to endlessly grind the scrap-craft-sell cycle.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I've played about 3 hours of this now and it may not be for me. The game world and even the UI is so busy that I can't take it. There is too much going on, it makes me feel claustrophobic. I should clarify that I don't particularly enjoy going to cities, I much more prefer the country. So this game represents a super city and all the things I can't stand about cities. I'm really thinking about dropping it at just 3 hours. I know this is an unusual complaint, but it's how I feel. And I play games to relax, not to get anxiety.
FTE
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scraper wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:15 pm I've played about 3 hours of this now and it may not be for me. The game world and even the UI is so busy that I can't take it. There is too much going on, it makes me feel claustrophobic. I should clarify that I don't particularly enjoy going to cities, I much more prefer the country. So this game represents a super city and all the things I can't stand about cities. I'm really thinking about dropping it at just 3 hours. I know this is an unusual complaint, but it's how I feel. And I play games to relax, not to get anxiety.
It's understandable. Cyberpunk usually takes place in overcrowded dystopias, all of the worst elements of urban life brought to extremes, from sense-overwhelming advertising to crowded, dirty streets, to cramped rooms. It's supposed to feel claustrophobic and oppressive. It's part of the feel of the genre. Hell, almost any genre that ends with -punk is going to feature some form of that.

I can certainly understand somebody not enjoying that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've started a game now that the upgrades are out, and the game is amazing looking on the X Box Series X. The streets are bustling with activity now. I mean, NPCs still drive into walls at times, and some still enjoy walking a 5 foot straight line back and forth all day for no apparent reason, but for the most part it feels more alive overall.

I did have one crash. But I suspect the issue is that the quick resume isn't as solid on this one.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I started over on PC with the 1.5 patch and it locked the whole computer up within 10 minutes. I think I'm done with this game.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oof, looks like we need a patch for the patch.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’ll be curious to see how future games from this dev are titled in threads, and the connotation. I suspect if ‘from the makers of’ is included, it might be more of a warning.

“Victorian Thrashers” from the makers of Cyberpunk 2077

:D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Wouldn't "From the makers of Cyberpunk 2077" and "From the makers of Witcher 3" cancel each other out?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:23 am Wouldn't "From the makers of Cyberpunk 2077" and "From the makers of Witcher 3" cancel each other out?
Truth
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

How much key staff churn does it take before "from the makers of..." is no longer relevant?

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:50 am How much key staff churn does it take before "from the makers of..." is no longer relevant?
Pfft. Next thing you'll be telling me that Call of Duty isn't put out by the same people as Pitfall!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I am again surprised by how different the experiences are between myself and some others who are playing or have played the game. I played on a PC uber-rig and aside from a few minor visual glitches the game looked and ran great and I went through the whole story (and two of the endings) without any significant issues. I still wonder if it was an issue with the devs not testing on a wide enough variety of rigs and platforms.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:07 am I’ll be curious to see how future games from this dev are titled in threads, and the connotation. I suspect if ‘from the makers of’ is included, it might be more of a warning.

“Victorian Thrashers” from the makers of Cyberpunk 2077

:D
“Amish Buggy Gang” from the makers of Victorian Thrashers. Will Ezekiel be lured by the life of the English and build upon his business supplying drugs, alcohol and dance mixes to Rumspringa parties or will the love of Rebekah be strong enough to bring him back to the simple Amish life?
The sun shining on the fields of wheat with 4K HDR is amazing! -IGN
Black lives matter!

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:10 amPfft. Next thing you'll be telling me that Call of Duty isn't put out by the same people as Pitfall!
:wub: :wub: Pitfall on the Atari 2600 was amazing. I was about to say a "gateway" game for me, but I had already been heavily into gaming on earlier platforms by the time it came out. Maybe the best title on Atari 2600 (IMO obviously).
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:40 am I am again surprised by how different the experiences are between myself and some others who are playing or have played the game. I played on a PC uber-rig and aside from a few minor visual glitches the game looked and ran great and I went through the whole story (and two of the endings) without any significant issues. I still wonder if it was an issue with the devs not testing on a wide enough variety of rigs and platforms.
I've just solved the mystery for you, and I won't even charge! :p
"I played on a PC uber-rig"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:45 am
jztemple2 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:40 am I am again surprised by how different the experiences are between myself and some others who are playing or have played the game. I played on a PC uber-rig and aside from a few minor visual glitches the game looked and ran great and I went through the whole story (and two of the endings) without any significant issues. I still wonder if it was an issue with the devs not testing on a wide enough variety of rigs and platforms.
I've just solved the mystery for you, and I won't even charge! :p
"I played on a PC uber-rig"
True, but I never saw the problems reported by many others with being unable to complete a number of story missions due to issues and I wouldn't think that was performance related. I guess I don't really know how different the game is programmed for consoles.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The game seems to run rougher than I remember pre 1.5, so I don't know if the patch maybe bumped some settings up? Who knows. My PC is definitely a little long in the tooth though, so it wouldn't surprise me if I'm maybe just pushing the edge of what it can comfortably handle.

I should have said I'm done with the game *on PC*. While it's a bummer I paid full price for it at launch and haven't gotten anywhere with it, I'd be willing to pick it up for under $20 on console down the road. For now, Witcher 3 is providing plenty of PC entertainment.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:16 pm The game seems to run rougher than I remember pre 1.5, so I don't know if the patch maybe bumped some settings up? Who knows. My PC is definitely a little long in the tooth though, so it wouldn't surprise me if I'm maybe just pushing the edge of what it can comfortably handle.

I should have said I'm done with the game *on PC*. While it's a bummer I paid full price for it at launch and haven't gotten anywhere with it, I'd be willing to pick it up for under $20 on console down the road. For now, Witcher 3 is providing plenty of PC entertainment.
I found it for 19.99 at Best Buy during a sale not that long ago. Just check best buy ads and others.
Covfefe!
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

XBOX Series X user, here. I started up a new game post patch. I had quit on this one when it first came out after putting in 20 hours or so. My initial impressions mirror Hepcat’s: This is one of the first next gen console games I’ve played that actually feels like a next gen console game. The ray tracing really looks good, and the 30fps rate is locked in and smooth. I haven’t tried performance mode yet, but I’d rather have a prettier looking game than 60fps.

Played a few hours last night, and not a single bug or strange AI behavior. That’s definitely an improvement over where this game was immediately post-launch. Now I just need to figure out what kind of character I want to play. I’m going for V as Amos from the Expanse and investing in Body and Technical. Not sure if that’s going to work out all that well, but we’ll see.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Everyone should have a friend like Amos.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Might finally be time to re-download. Not only do I get to try it with the new patch, but also on a new PC. It has to be better, right? :)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Sounds like the PS4 disc version is completely broken.

https://kotaku.com/cyberpunk-2077-ps4-p ... 1848562502

I wonder if that will affect my plan to do the PS5 upgrade from the disc.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:34 pm A katana-wielding cyberpunk can be very combat-effective, even if the swordplay itself isn't as elegant as in a game that focuses on it. As with firearms, it's largely a matter of putting together the right build and acquiring or crafting good gear.

I'm starting to get the itch for another play-through. I put in about 290 hours across 2 runs last year, but I think I have at least one more in me.
Yeah, I've been holding off for this patch. I've already played through once, but I'm ready for another run.