Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scoop20906

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

Post by Scoop20906 »

Feels like the devs have quit on the game seeing as almost every one else has at this point as far as I can tell. I have no interest in trying to go back to it.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Scoop20906 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:52 pm Feels like the devs have quit on the game seeing as almost every one else has at this point as far as I can tell. I have no interest in trying to go back to it.
I hope not, i have been waiting for the upgraded ps5/Xs version to play it.
FTE
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

They’ve pretty much focused on bug fixes and stability and management said last month they were happy with stability but not a peep about adding back features or content cut so they could rush out the game.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I read an article a while back that said that their next goal was to work on the content, but it's been a few weeks.

I did discover this: Avoid Forbes for news about it. Whoever writes their Cyberpunk 2077 news seems to have a huge grudge against CDPR, and every article is determined to paint them in the absolute worst light.

It's RPG Codex levels of bias.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Scoop20906 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:52 pm Feels like the devs have quit on the game seeing as almost every one else has at this point as far as I can tell. I have no interest in trying to go back to it.
My take as well. What a disappointment.Unless I hear there have been some significant improvements, I won’t be heading back.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't know. In spite of the fiasco the release was, CD Projekt Red has built up a lot of good will from me for their Witcher series. I mean, they're releasing a new DLC for the last Witcher game in the not too distant future (true, it's a tie in with the Netflix series, but hey...it's a 5 year old game, I wasn't expecting anything), so they do tend to support their games in the long run.

Now, much of that goodwill was wasted with Cyberpunk 2077, but I still have a little left over. :D
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

According to Galaxy, I logged 289 hours in Cyberpunk 2077 across 2 playthroughs (Corpo and Nomad). I'm currently waiting for the promised updates/DLC before I try the Streetkid lifepath, but I enjoyed the time spent with the game and definitely feel like I got my money's worth from it.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I bought it initially for the xbox one on the microsoft store, then got a refund after seeing how badly it ran.

Then a couple of weeks ago I upgraded to the xbox series x on the same day best buy was having a sale on Cyberpunk 2077. So I got it for 19.99. I have a feeling I'll get my money's worth too! :D
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It was a playable game on release, more stable and bug-free than most Elder Scrolls/Fallout games. It did have issues, and I decided to wait until it was more polished, but it wasn't unplayable at release, and everything I've seen suggests that it's gotten a lot better since.

And yeah, CDPR screwed up, but they're not a company with a history of abandoning games.

They released a game with a lot of issues. Bad frame rates (especially on consoles), constant crashing, freezing, UI problems, broken skills, bad controls, balance problems, broken quests, weird clipping issues, NPCs getting stuck in T-poses, all sorts of weird bugs. It was not a good game. I'm not talking about Cyberpunk 2077 here - I'm talking about The Witcher 3.

Maybe they'll blow off their customers and abandon the game. But they've got a history of supporting their titles. We'll see, but I'm not writing them off yet.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:06 am It was a playable game on release, more stable and bug-free than most Elder Scrolls/Fallout games. It did have issues, and I decided to wait until it was more polished, but it wasn't unplayable at release, and everything I've seen suggests that it's gotten a lot better since.
It certainly was playable on release, but it really, really helped if you had an uber-rig with lots of memory, processor speed and a cutting edge card. I played more than 60 hours, all the way to one of the endings, with only a few minor bugs. I'm wondering if they did their testing on uber-rigs and just assumed it would be OK on machines most folks owned.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A lot of developers design their games for one step above the fastest machines on the market, partially because they determine a lot of that stuff long in advance of the actual release, and they're guessing at what tech will be available, and they're assuming that those 'one step above' machine will be available when it hits the market. It also helps to be able show off amazing graphics and be able to honestly say it is gameplay footage. The problem is that they never really show what the game looks like on medium or high settings, what it looks like on an 'average' machine that hasn't had an upgrade in two or three years. I have a feeling that an 'average' machine would have been more powerful if the video card shortage/rush hadn't hit late in their development, too.

The problem is that people with medium-friendly machines try to play their games on ultra settings to get what they saw in the trailers, and are then upset about their performance. Or they set the graphics to what is recommended and are mad about the quality not matching the publicity. People do need to learn that what they're seeing in trailers is the best possible appearance, and that most people won't be able to achieve that.

Add in the fact that they didn't optimize it well, and yeah - it was tough to play. It still looked great on 'playable' for me (2060.)
Last edited by Blackhawk on Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:24 am
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:06 am It was a playable game on release, more stable and bug-free than most Elder Scrolls/Fallout games. It did have issues, and I decided to wait until it was more polished, but it wasn't unplayable at release, and everything I've seen suggests that it's gotten a lot better since.
It certainly was playable on release, but it really, really helped if you had an uber-rig with lots of memory, processor speed and a cutting edge card. I played more than 60 hours, all the way to one of the endings, with only a few minor bugs. I'm wondering if they did their testing on uber-rigs and just assumed it would be OK on machines most folks owned.
I think for the most part, on PC, it was playable if you met mins reqs. The real problem was they sold it on XBOne and PS4 and it was NOT playable on those platforms, but they released it anyway because $$$. The fact that they did that is the really sketchy part.

I don't get the claims they've abandoned it. Yeah, it has been more than 6 months and some of their solutions have been... interesting, but they have made progress. I played through it all the way at release and I will play it again when there is new content. because there isn't much else in the same space.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:40 am Add in the fact that they didn't optimize it well, and yeah - it was tough to play. It still looked great on 'playable' for me (2060.)
I played it on an RTX2070 and it looked very good. I don't recall what my settings were, but I play on a 1440p monitor. Sad to think that 2070 is playing Minecraft all the time now. :(
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:42 am
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:24 am
I think for the most part, on PC, it was playable if you met mins reqs. The real problem was they sold it on XBOne and PS4 and it was NOT playable on those platforms, but they released it anyway because $$$. The fact that they did that is the really sketchy part.

I don't get the claims they've abandoned it. Yeah, it has been more than 6 months and some of their solutions have been... interesting, but they have made progress. I played through it all the way at release and I will play it again when there is new content. because there isn't much else in the same space.
Has there been any progress on this for the XBOne and PS4? Or is it just flat out unplayable in a way that can't be fixed because of tech limitations?
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:18 pm Has there been any progress on this for the XBOne and PS4? Or is it just flat out unplayable in a way that can't be fixed because of tech limitations?
This was from early May:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/ ... 5453d4718b
PS4/Xbox One Base – These two, Xbox One in particular, are the worst-performing versions of the game, which is no surprise. The patches over the last few months have improved things like stability (crashes) and framerate to a certain extent, but it’s clear at this point that Cyberpunk 2077 is probably never going to run “well” on these oldest of consoles, so you may want to wait until you make the generational transition so your first experience with the game isn’t tainted by these issues to the same extent.
Better, but likely never going to be a great experience.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Supposedly the next-gen optimized version is still coming out this fall, but there has been little news about it. I have been waiting for that version before getting the game on the hope that by the time it releases most of the other major issues have been fixed. But it sort of sounds like there will *always* be some major issues with the game.
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:41 pm Supposedly the next-gen optimized version is still coming out this fall, but there has been little news about it. I have been waiting for that version before getting the game on the hope that by the time it releases most of the other major issues have been fixed. But it sort of sounds like there will *always* be some major issues with the game.
I'm waiting for the next-gen update before I try playing again, but I'm wholly prepared for that version to have its own new set of bugs that will take yet another 6 months of patching to iron out.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

FYI, Best Buy has a flash sale on the console version today only for $10. At that price I couldn't pass it up. Even though I'll wait for the PS5 upgrade to be released to play it, I can't see it getting any cheaper than that this year.
FTE
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Big patch in version 1.3 coming soon. Details are posted in two parts, here and here. The changes are so extensive I'll just let folks click through for themselves if they are interested.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Scraper wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:57 am FYI, Best Buy has a flash sale on the console version today only for $10. At that price I couldn't pass it up. Even though I'll wait for the PS5 upgrade to be released to play it, I can't see it getting any cheaper than that this year.
That's a no-brainer for me, but unfortunately can't add it to my cart. Guess it's gone already.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The 1.3 patch is live now, and it's as massive as the patch notes (33.67GB download on GOG, presumably smaller on Steam).

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:14 am The 1.3 patch is live now, and it's as massive as the patch notes (33.67GB download on GOG, presumably smaller on Steam).
Steam was 36.3 GB
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Welp, I'm glad I didn't put any money on that. :lol:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I downloaded the 1.3 patch this afternoon and decided to give the game a whirl. I hadn't seriously played it since December 20th, per the saved game files, so I thought I'd start a new game... I had totally forgotten that you can pick one of three starting roles. Last time I did Nomad, this time I did Streetkid. I only went through the first half-hour till I was given an option for a shooting tutorial which I kept. The game ran fine, but then it did for me before. I'll play for awhile till I start remembering the missions and probably quit.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:43 pmI had totally forgotten that you can pick one of three starting roles.
I still wish it had more impact on the overall game outside of the first 30-45 minutes. Even if each just got a separate set of special contacts and missions, it'd be something. Instead they all meld into the same person.

I stopped playing a while back but believe I was in an okay place as far as my character and the stories I was involved in. I got worn thin running mission after mission after mission in and out of the desert, though. There's not a whole lot out there, so I ended up doing stupid things to alleviate the boredom when I was out there.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Months later they still haven't fixed t-pose bug?

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I reinstalled to test. Im on a 10 year old system and a 2 gig vram card remember. I won this here in a OO giveaway. It always crashed at character creation for me. The one time I did get in it was awfully choppy and slow.

This time I made a new character with tons of options and got in game. I chose nomad so Im in the desert. Im just driving around ignoring the quest because Im just testing. So far it hasn't crashed and its actually playing pretty smooth for me. I haven't touched a single graphics option or key bind though yet. I dont even know what its set at.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:24 amMonths later they still haven't fixed t-pose bug?
Fixed it to mean "checking for T-pose and resetting if detected" I guess.

Are some people seeing NPC's with violent outbursts or is it just the random, rare twitch?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The New Yorker has a piece on the game, including a fair bit of background on Mike Pondsmith and the origins of the P&P game.

The Strange, Unfinished Saga of Cyberpunk 2077

This passage seems particularly timely:
Watching the events of the past year unfold, speaking with people at CD Projekt and with people who know their games, I’ve thought often of my conversations with Mike Pondsmith, and his account of creating Cyberpunk more than three decades ago. When I last spoke with him, he had just finished wrapping up Cyberpunk Red, a new rule book for the tabletop game that brings its calendar up to the twenty-forties. In Cyberpunk Red, a computer virus renders much of the Internet functionally inoperable, diminishing the power of the megacorporations. “I was really fascinated by the fact that most of what we actually eat, wear, drive, whatever, is moved around the world at ridiculous distances, and it manages to show up just in time when we need it,” he told me, describing his thought process as he worked on the new edition. “When that breaks down all of a sudden, you know, half your fruit just disappeared, your components for the phone over there just disappeared. All those things are interconnected. And what we’re asking is, well, what happens when they’re not? How do we live in that society? Does everything grind to a halt or do we figure out new pathways?”

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've kind of had the itch to play this. I quit shortly after launch to wait for the patches. I didn't get any major bugs, but it was clicking so much that I decided I'd rather wait and play it all polished up. I was going to pull it out soon, but I just did some reading, and I'm thinking the smart thing right now is to wait for one more major patch (and the inevitable couple of hotfixes that come after.) It looks like the patch that was supposed to come out recently (1.4) is being merged with the updates for the next-gen (current gen?) consoles as 1.5 and released sometime in 'Q1 2022.'
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:22 pm I've kind of had the itch to play this. I quit shortly after launch to wait for the patches. I didn't get any major bugs, but it was clicking so much that I decided I'd rather wait and play it all polished up. I was going to pull it out soon, but I just did some reading, and I'm thinking the smart thing right now is to wait for one more major patch (and the inevitable couple of hotfixes that come after.) It looks like the patch that was supposed to come out recently (1.4) is being merged with the updates for the next-gen (current gen?) consoles as 1.5 and released sometime in 'Q1 2022.'
I want to do a replay and I came to the same conclusion - wait for 1.5.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Picked this up during the Epic sale in December. In Act 2, escaped The Chapel and went back to Afterlife to explore my other options. My avatar's voice just changed to male. First bug to date but it's a headscratcher and a bizarre one.

edit = It was just for one cut scene. Everything is back to norbl.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I restarted a few weeks ago and now I'm getting more CTD's than I ever had playing pre-patch.

It's frustrating. I hope there's another patch on the way.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There is, a double-patfch (1.4 got rolled into 1.5.) There is no official date yet, but they've apparently got versions uploaded to Steam already, so hopefully soon.
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:22 pm I've kind of had the itch to play this. I quit shortly after launch to wait for the patches. I didn't get any major bugs, but it was clicking so much that I decided I'd rather wait and play it all polished up. I was going to pull it out soon, but I just did some reading, and I'm thinking the smart thing right now is to wait for one more major patch (and the inevitable couple of hotfixes that come after.) It looks like the patch that was supposed to come out recently (1.4) is being merged with the updates for the next-gen (current gen?) consoles as 1.5 and released sometime in 'Q1 2022.'
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Version 1.5 Patch Notes
Enlarge Image

The patch is up on GOG, weighing in at 47GB.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Very nice! Thanks for posting.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

So just in time for two of the biggest games of the year to keep me away from it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The PS5 free upgrade is now available as well.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Almost makes me wish I had picked this up during one of the many $10 sales. But now with two of my most anticipated games coming out over the next week and a half (Horizon and Elden Ring), I don't really have any desire to try to wade into this now. Maybe in a few months...
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:38 pm Version 1.5 Patch Notes
Enlarge Image

The patch is up on GOG, weighing in at 47GB.
Wow, have the game but haven’t played it, waiting on fixes, but this seems pretty impressive. Now we just need to see what new bugs are introduced! :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton