Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 from the makers of The Witcher

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:07 pm I assume that each of the three backgrounds leads to the essentially the same story point?
Every once in a while you will get a dialog choice based on your background, but it's so minimal as to hardly be worth having the option.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:07 pm I picked this up recently - just did the Corpo background intro. I assume that each of the three backgrounds leads to the essentially the same story point?

Anyway, looking forward to playing through this.
Yup, the three introductions merge somewhat early on.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:22 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:07 pm I picked this up recently - just did the Corpo background intro. I assume that each of the three backgrounds leads to the essentially the same story point?

Kind of feels like a poor man's version of what Dragon Age did. Like in Dragon age, the different backgrounds each had maybe like an hour of content (with good stories) all to themselves before they met up with the main story. This just felt like a slightly customized tutorial.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:47 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:22 pm

Kind of feels like a poor man's version of what Dragon Age did. Like in Dragon age, the different backgrounds each had maybe like an hour of content (with good stories) all to themselves before they met up with the main story. This just felt like a slightly customized tutorial.
This is essentially the case. There are some throwaways throughout the story that account for differences in the background but it's minor stuff.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

CDPR said this will be the most expensive DLC they've ever made. I believe them considering the size, getting Keanu back AND hiring Idris.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I need to learn the lesson not to buy DLC that adds story to before the game ending that I've completed. I just have no interest in having to re-finish a game in order to finish it.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Seems like a good reason for a replay for me. :)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

IIRC, the game generates an autosave just before you pass the point of no return at the end of the main story line, so there isn't really a need to replay the game to do the DLC if you don't want to (providing you didn't delete all your saves, of course).

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:47 am IIRC, the game generates an autosave just before you pass the point of no return at the end of the main story line, so there isn't really a need to replay the game to do the DLC if you don't want to (providing you didn't delete all your saves, of course).
Yeah, plus here the endings are so divergent that it'd be really hard to write a DLC with a story that tied into all the endings.
Black Lives Matter.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:09 pm
Max Peck wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:47 am IIRC, the game generates an autosave just before you pass the point of no return at the end of the main story line, so there isn't really a need to replay the game to do the DLC if you don't want to (providing you didn't delete all your saves, of course).
Yeah, plus here the endings are so divergent that it'd be really hard to write a DLC with a story that tied into all the endings.
That's putting it mildly.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think you'll like some of this guys mods he uses.

Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

I recently pulled up my last point-of-no-return saved game (dated July 3 2021) and it was a huge mess. I immediately got spammed with messages from fixers about apartments & stuff, and all my perk points had been reset. Too many changes to the game since then, I guess.

I decided that I would just start a new game for the DLC, even though I don't usually replay RPGs. Then I decided not to wait for the DLC and started a new Street Kid game. I suspect I'm playing almost the same way as my first game, since I tend to prefer stealth & magic (hacks) to melee.

Time for Jackie and me to go take care of that easy gig and steal a chip from Yorinobu.
gbasden wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:12 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:09 pmYeah, plus here the endings are so divergent that it'd be really hard to write a DLC with a story that tied into all the endings.
That's putting it mildly.
I (eventually) played the DLC for Fallout 3, and that game's original ending didn't exactly lend itself to DLC either!
Conform or be cast out!
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Just picked this up last week, and dang if it don't have it's hooks in me. This game has grabbed me like none other has in a while. Maybe I've been playing too much in the past recently.

Playing a mostly pistol/monowire with dips into sniper. Finished Panam's quest line, done all the tarot card missions, as well as all the cyberpsychosis locations. Interested in trying a gorilla arm/assault build next time and doing a different set of side quests.

And now I've just read about the glowing praise for the Harry Potter game.... With Starfield coming soon, I'm afraid my wife might just take the kids and leave me if I get sucked back into gaming like this.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Hyena wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:20 pm Just picked this up last week, and dang if it don't have it's hooks in me. This game has grabbed me like none other has in a while. Maybe I've been playing too much in the past recently.

Playing a mostly pistol/monowire with dips into sniper. Finished Panam's quest line, done all the tarot card missions, as well as all the cyberpsychosis locations. Interested in trying a gorilla arm/assault build next time and doing a different set of side quests.

And now I've just read about the glowing praise for the Harry Potter game.... With Starfield coming soon, I'm afraid my wife might just take the kids and leave me if I get sucked back into gaming like this.
I know the feeling. I was deep into my first Cyberpunk playthrough when I fired up Harry Potter this morning. Now I'm torn between finishing Cyberpunk first or Harry Potter.
FTE
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Scraper wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:24 pm
Hyena wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:20 pm Just picked this up last week, and dang if it don't have it's hooks in me. This game has grabbed me like none other has in a while. Maybe I've been playing too much in the past recently.

I know the feeling. I was deep into my first Cyberpunk playthrough when I fired up Harry Potter this morning. Now I'm torn between finishing Cyberpunk first or Harry Potter.
Yeah, now I'm pretty sure I can't buy HP until I'm done. HUGE Potter fan, read all the books, seen all the movies, etc. Haven't read the Cursed Child one, but not sure I will as it is such a different concept I don't know if I'll like it.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Whom is this Harry Potter of which you speak? Is he related to Colonel Sherman T. Potter of M*A*S*H* fame? Or is it Harrison Potter, the American pianist and educator? I'm afraid I am unfamiliar with this person :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Horsehockey!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

That would free up a lot of gaming time, though.
Black Lives Matter.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:49 am

That would free up a lot of gaming time, though.
Truth. And give me time to finish the blimp construction project I have going on in the back yard. Hard to find parts for a PPC, though...

Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:40 pm

Whom is this Harry Potter of which you speak? Is he related to Colonel Sherman T. Potter of M*A*S*H* fame? Or is it Harrison Potter, the American pianist and educator? I'm afraid I am unfamiliar with this person :wink:
None of the above it is Mr. Potter of Bedford Falls NY
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jaddison wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:24 pm None of the above it is Mr. Potter of Bedford Falls NY
:D
naednek

Post by naednek »

Well, after playing this off and on since release, I finally finished.

It's a mixed bag.

The game oozes with atmosphere.
I enjoyed the tug and war between V and Johnny.
Overall enjoyed the gameplay, acting, and the story.

Performance wise, I started playing when I had a 2060 super. I would get 20-30 fps at the high settings. Later upgraded to 3090 and upped my memory. Averaged 45-55 fps. But still bogged down when accessing menu\maps

Driving around was a bit piss poor experience, other games do it better.
Police while "there" never a problem. Just keep driving and they forget about you.
Adult themes a little too much in your face. Felt forced for shock value. Didn't really add to the experience. Although Panam has a nice ass :P

I hear there's 5 endings. The ending I had was
Spoiler:
Johnny joining ALT, and V went to space, still don't know why)
I'm debating if I should try the other 4 endings. I did read about them and the experience is different, not some minor changes.

Found out 20 minutes in you can fast forward the credits by pressing F on the keyboard.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I pretty much agree with that.

For the alternate endings, I just looked them up on Youtube. They do have different action sequences (though IIRC the same 'boss'), but I didn't find that interesting enough to play through the alternates. FWIW my ending was:
Spoiler:
V joins the Altecados (or whatever Panam's gang name was) and leaves the city, while Johnny joined ALT.
Felt like the best (happiest) ending.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Cyberpunk 2077 Revival Just Made CD Projekt Red A Ton Of Money
2022 was apparently a really good year for Cyberpunk 2077 and the company that made it. After one of the most disastrous blockbuster launches in recent history, the open-world sci-fi RPG went on to make even more money last year than the one previous, signaling a staggering turnaround for a franchise that initially seemed dead on arrival. And the upcoming DLC Phantom Liberty isn’t even out yet.

Developer CD Projekt Red revealed its full 2022 earnings report earlier this week (via IGN), which showed total revenue for Cyberpunk 2077 actually grew 18 percent year-over-year. Usually that number keeps going down after release, but the unusual turnaround ended up helping make 2022 the company’s second-best year on record when it came to sales revenue.
I'm old enough to remember when a lot of people thought that the Cyberpunk 2077 launch was going to kill CDPR.

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:21 pm I pretty much agree with that.

For the alternate endings, I just looked them up on Youtube. They do have different action sequences (though IIRC the same 'boss'), but I didn't find that interesting enough to play through the alternates. FWIW my ending was:
Spoiler:
V joins the Altecados (or whatever Panam's gang name was) and leaves the city, while Johnny joined ALT.
Felt like the best (happiest) ending.
That's the same ending I just got and it was the ending I wanted. I kept trying to make choices that would lead me down that path and it was nice to have it actually turn out the way I wanted. I skipped a ton of the side content and my playthrough came out to about 28hours. Which I'm good with.
FTE
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

When I saw the trailer for Phantom Liberty, I thought it was a spinoff of the main game. Watching that video above, however, it seems like V will still be the main character and it's just DLC? I sincerely hope so, as this game hooked me like no game has in years.

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Hyena wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:32 am When I saw the trailer for Phantom Liberty, I thought it was a spinoff of the main game. Watching that video above, however, it seems like V will still be the main character and it's just DLC? I sincerely hope so, as this game hooked me like no game has in years.
I believe it's DLC that takes place prior to the end of the main story. So if you beat the game you're going to need to use that post main game save spot they spit you out at after the credits roll.
FTE
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Scraper wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:58 am
Hyena wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:32 am When I saw the trailer for Phantom Liberty, I thought it was a spinoff of the main game. Watching that video above, however, it seems like V will still be the main character and it's just DLC? I sincerely hope so, as this game hooked me like no game has in years.
I believe it's DLC that takes place prior to the end of the main story. So if you beat the game you're going to need to use that post main game save spot they spit you out at after the credits roll.
Oh, I started a new gorilla arms/shotgun character that I'll probably work my way through again. Although my pistol/monowire guy was pretty strong, too...

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Phantom Liberty has a release date (26 Sep 2023) and a price (CAD $39.99).

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I wonder if all these changes to the game will be coming to the base game for people who don't buy the DLC. (Disclosure: I pre-purchased the DLC as soon as they sent me the email saying I could pre-purchase the DLC.)

Phantom Liberty Rewrites Cyberpunk 2077's DNA
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty feels more like a top-to-bottom overhaul of the original game than a standard expansion. Of course, it will feature a new story with new characters and a new area to explore, but what left me most excited is how this expansion could potentially shake up the original experience and address many issues players had at launch.

Before our hands-on demo, quest director Paweł Sasko and quest designer Despoina Anetaky told us that nearly every system had been changed, tweaked, or redone entirely. Unlockable abilities in the skill tree feel more like perks rather than passive stat bonuses; the cybernetics are a lot more robust, offering more gameplay options; and the infamous police response system has been rebuilt from the ground up. This isn't the first time developer CD Projekt Red has done something like this--The Witcher 3's final expansion brought with it a number of changes to the UI and combat--but Phantom Liberty is attempting to comprehensively rewrite Cyberpunk's DNA.
What's most impressive is how different Phantom Liberty feels compared to the vanilla experience and how these changes could breathe new life into the core experience. Nearly every system has been touched up or redone, and new mechanics have been introduced, such as car combat–and these features aren't limited to Phantom Liberty.

For example, cybernetics received a complete overhaul. Now, armor is tied to your cyberware rather than clothing. This means you can wear whatever you want without worrying about your overall defense and combat effectiveness. However, you can't install a bunch of cyberware at once. As you progress you'll increase your cyberware limit, and if you install too much you'll be hit with various debuffs. Not only that, but when you install new cyberware, you'll get to see the installation process from V's point of view. While we didn't get specific examples of how cyberpsychosis could affect your character, getting debuffs from excessive cybernetics fits within the context of the world. It seems like a much more refined system that will force players to carefully pick and choose cyberware that fits their play style.

Skill trees across the board have also been reworked to introduce new abilities and perks that should spice up combat. Sasko told us that they wanted to get away from the percentage-based stat buffs that populated the original skill tree and build them around unique class-based skills. During my time, I only got to play as a fast solo build equipped with a thermal katana and mantis blades. Thanks to the new and improved Reflex skill tree, I could dash mid-air, deflect bullets, and perform gory finishers. I'm curious to see just how robust these revamped skill trees are, particularly when it comes to netrunning, but if my time with the fast solo build was any indication, I think there should be some cool surprises in store for every class archetype.

Phantom Liberty also brings with it the long-awaited revamped police and notoriety system. At launch, Cyberpunk 2077 was derided for its simplistic and unfair notoriety system. Police would spawn instantly and in random locations, even if there were no police nearby. That is not the case in Phantom Liberty. Now, similar to GTA V, if you commit a crime, the police will investigate. If you're nearby, they will engage; if not, they will search the area. As you commit more crimes in quick succession, they will get more aggressive, and if you hit a five-star wanted level, MaxTac, a SWAT-like special forces unit in the Cyberpunk universe, will show up. Sasko told us that bosses will spawn in the world if you get your notoriety high enough. However, police aggression is also dependent on your location. They'll be much quicker to respond in wealthier, more populated areas like Corpo Plaza.

When you do piss off the NCDP, you're no longer limited to on-foot combat. Phantom Liberty introduces vehicular combat and weapon-mounted vehicles. Using the bumper buttons, you can aim your gun out the window and fire, and if you're on a motorcycle you can wield melee weapons. I don't know how practical swinging a katana from the side of a motorcycle actually is, but it sure looks badass. And to fit in with the spy-thriller aesthetic, you can even unlock a sports car with miniguns hidden behind the bumper a la James Bond's famous Aston Martin.

These features aren't locked to the new area or DLC story. They are global changes that will affect the entire game from start to finish and rebalance nearly every aspect of the experience. While you can load up old saves and still enjoy all these changes, there's a compelling case to start fresh, as many of these mechanics are designed to reinforce Cyberpunk's world-building and hone in on the role-playing aspects at its foundation.
If nothing else, all these redesigned features explains why this has taken so long to be released.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:05 pm I wonder if all these changes to the game will be coming to the base game for people who don't buy the DLC.
Yes:
In an interview with Kotaku at Summer Game Fest, Cyberpunk 2077 quest director Pawel Sasko and quest designer Despoina Anetaki explained that while some parts of Phantom Liberty, such as a new skill tree, will be behind the expansion’s paywall, much of the new work launching alongside it will be free to all players similar to past updates the game has gotten since 2020.

“Some things come with Phantom Liberty, for example, because of story-related reasons like the Relic skill tree, of course, you need [new character] Somi to unlock it,” Anetaki said. “Some things will be available to the rest of Night City, and you’ll be able to explore some things like, for example, the chases, the vehicle combat, and the police system.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

You know, for some strange reason I thought this DLC was going to be free, not sure why, but instead it is going to be $29.99, which is s bit steep IMO. Probably going to wait for a sale.

It does give me Escape from NY vibes for sure.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

All the details of Phantom Liberty have made me scrap my ongoing game. My computer is old so I've held off on downloading the last big update anyway. So I'll wait for a sale on the DLC sometime after I get a new computer and treat it as almost a new game.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Grifman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:19 am You know, for some strange reason I thought this DLC was going to be free, not sure why, but instead it is going to be $29.99, which is s bit steep IMO. Probably going to wait for a sale.

It's 3x what I paid for the base game. But I'll still buy it once it hits a sale price. I enjoyed the base game once it was patched and worked as intended.
FTE
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Scraper wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:49 am
Grifman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:19 am You know, for some strange reason I thought this DLC was going to be free, not sure why, but instead it is going to be $29.99, which is s bit steep IMO. Probably going to wait for a sale.

It's 3x what I paid for the base game. But I'll still buy it once it hits a sale price. I enjoyed the base game once it was patched and worked as intended.
Hah, a very generous OO'er gave me the game for Xmas so I got it free! Still going to wait for a sale though or maybe a pre-order discount?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There's a new patch (1.63) out today.

In other news...

Cyberpunk 2077 Devs Tell You What Quests To Play Before The Big Phantom Liberty Expansion
Cyberpunk 2077’s one and only expansion, Phantom Liberty, is coming out on September 26. If you’ve already beaten the original game, or have replayed it after some of the course correcting patches, you’re probably set, but if you’re still killing time in Night City and have yet to actually see the credits, you might be wondering what parts of the game might be tied into the expansion. According to developer CD Projekt Red? You should spend some time in Pacifica.

Cyberpunk Quest Director Pawel Sasko spoke to Kotaku, and alongside guiding us through the early hours of the Cyberpunk 2077 expansion, explained a bit about how Phantom Liberty fits into the full game’s world. The expansion takes place in Dogtown, a new, somewhat sequestered location in the Pacifica region. The story content will be entirely new, Sasko says. But understanding Pacifica’s place in the universe and parsing the specifics of Dogtown’s isolation will help enrich your experience with the expansion.