Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Skinypupy »

Hey, so…has anyone seen Herschel Walker since the midterms?

Not sure I’ve ever seen anyone get entirely erased from the political radar as thoroughly as he has been. Not even a Newsmax or OAN hit since he lost. Just…poof.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:36 pm Hey, so…has anyone seen Herschel Walker since the midterms?

Not sure I’ve ever seen anyone get entirely erased from the political radar as thoroughly as he has been. Not even a Newsmax or OAN hit since he lost. Just…poof.
Isn't this what usually happens to losing candidates, especially outsiders with no prior political role?

Sure, now we live in the era of Kari Lake, but for the most part the losers have generally fallen off the scope.

In Herschel's case, particularly, there's no payoff in wasting time feeding him talking points, so why bother?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:59 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:36 pm Hey, so…has anyone seen Herschel Walker since the midterms?

Isn't this what usually happens to losing candidates, especially outsiders with no prior political role?

Sure, now we live in the era of Kari Lake, but for the most part the losers have generally fallen off the scope.

In Herschel's case, particularly, there's no payoff in wasting time feeding him talking points, so why bother?
Yeah. especially since no one on the Republican side wants to boost him and risk him being their standard-bearer in another race.
Black Lives Matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ignorance:

Easier to grift with election fraud, for example.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

When did all the stupid people move to the Republican Party?

malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:50 pmWhen did all the stupid people move to the Republican Party?
I personally hesitate to dismiss them as stupid. Some definitely could be but conspiracy theorists and flat earthers are much more about belonging to a group and/or maintaining an identity as powerful people who know things other people don't. The grifters have just been shameless enough to pull them into their coalition.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Grifman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:50 pm When did all the stupid people move to the Republican Party?
Started in 1980. Was complete by 2016.

I follow several different science and space groups on Facebook. Those that are unmoderated (which is most of them) are inundated with flerfers. I've been enthusiastically blocking them for the past few weeks - well over 100 by now - and I always look at their personal page before I do it. Roughly half of them are bots. The bots reply to every space photo with "Nice CGI." Most of the rest are anti-vaxxers, election deniers, moon hoaxers, gun nuts, and/or fundies (there's lots of overlap), and a small number are just off-the-charts insane. It's hard to say how many of them actually believe in flat earth versus just trolling, but there are some who construct intricate arguments from alternative "facts."

Like malchior says, much of it is simple tribalism. They are the enlightened and we are the brainwashed. As I like to say, once you embrace one Big Lie all the others fall into place.

As for the unmoderated FB groups, they thrive on the engagement. A simple innocuous photo of earth from the ISS can draw hundreds of comments from flerfers and those arguing with them.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:02 pm
Grifman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:50 pm When did all the stupid people move to the Republican Party?
I'd argue it goes farther back than 1980. Probably late 50s to mid-60s. Bircher's are probably the OG archetype for this type of person in the Republican party. They were supposedly purged by Reagan. But that seems like a bit of a fairy tale now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think that if you had a graph of the phenomenon that included all of the 'quiet' bits, it would correspond nicely with a graph of the civil rights movement.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:01 pm
I'd argue it goes farther back than 1980. Probably late 50s to mid-60s. Bircher's are probably the OG archetype for this type of person in the Republican party. They were supposedly purged by Reagan. But that seems like a bit of a fairy tale now.
1980 is the year that they grabbed the brass ring and successfully turned voters anti-government -- which is to say, persuaded the ignorant to vote against their self interest. Voodoo economics ftw!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

malchior wrote:
Yeah, when the democrats embraced the civil rights movement, it concentrated the race voters in the GOP.

But Reagan was a true, cross party candidate. He did benefit from a lot of policy options Carter started, but didn't see the benefits of tho.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holy crap, this explains so much:
Ringmaster: Vince McMahon and the Unmaking of America, due out Tuesday, is first and foremost a reported biography of the former World Wrestling Entertainment CEO. Embedded, though, within Abraham Josephine Riesman’s more than 400 pages based on more than 150 interviews is an analysis, too, of the roots of today’s twisted political climate.

“Wrestling,” writes Riesman, “has metastasized into the broader world, especially since the inauguration of the 45th president. There’s little difference between Trumpism and Vince’s neokayfabe, each with their infinite and indistinguishable layers of irony and sincerity. Each philosophy approaches life with one goal: to remake reality in such a way as to defeat one’s enemies and sate one’s insecurities.”

Perhaps even more apropos, Riesman offers a fresh way to consider current dramas, especially within the Republican Party, including the most compelling conflict — Trump versus Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. Many observers of politics tend to think about candidates who are at odds in terms of lanes, but at this point it might be more useful, Riesman suggests, to think in terms of roles: heroes and villains — in industry lingo, faces and heels — and the fluidity of such positioning within the twists and turns of storylines that can see similar combatants giving rise to new contestants and surprising results.
More specifically:
Kruse: And one of the more interesting arguments in this book is the idea that the generation that grew up with wrestling is now running stuff or about to run stuff and that matters a lot. How are Republicans and Democrats both doing politics differently now because they watched Hulk Hogan in the ’80s and ’90s?

Riesman: We learned that the most important thing is entertaining people — basically the most important thing is pushing people’s buttons. And also learning that you can be a heel and be successful — you can be somebody who is hated and you can profit off that hatred.

Kruse: Attention above all else, button-pushing over policy-making …

Riesman: And success in being hated. That’s such a key part of the Trump phenomenon. People think that by hating him and tweeting about how bad he is they’re somehow stabbing against him. But that’s the same way that people thought they were making a point of taking down Vince McMahon by buying T-shirts that say “Stone Cold” because “Stone Cold” Steve Austin was Vince’s rival in a storyline. But Vince McMahon owns it. He makes all the money off the T-shirt. That’s what happens with Trump. And not just Trump. George Santos. Any number of politicians. It’s how you succeed now.
It's a great article.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Add it to the pile:

[Missouri] House Republicans just voted against all state funding for libraries. They defunded libraries.

THEY DEFUNDED YOUR PUBLIC LIBRARY.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Another profile in courage moment.

raydude

Post by raydude »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:17 pm Add it to the pile:

[Missouri] House Republicans just voted against all state funding for libraries. They defunded libraries.

THEY DEFUNDED YOUR PUBLIC LIBRARY.
Link to a news article about this bill in Missouri.. The Missouri House apparently claims they did this because the libraries were using public funds to pay for the suit brought by the ACLU against the state. This is not true.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It's shooting related, but probably belongs here-

https://wpln.org/post/republicans-bar-t ... use-floor/
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

malchior wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:44 pm Another profile in courage moment.

Sadly not many like John Bolton left who speak out about what they believe no matter what (whether you agree with them or not). Now it’s all about how can I keep my seat in Congress or get funding for my PAC.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

waitingtoconnect wrote:
malchior wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:44 pm Another profile in courage moment.

Sadly not many like John Bolton left who speak out about what they believe no matter what (whether you agree with them or not). Now it’s all about how can I keep my seat in Congress or get funding for my PAC.
Bullshit. He should have testified in Impeachment rather than writing a book.

He was a coward when it counted.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Cousin-mistress.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

As expected. Racism and authoritarianism raising it's ugly head. If the media does it's job - ha! - they'll show us the "trial" because ultimately this was despicable. I also hope the people of their community return them right to the chamber.

Listen to that roar when he says he'll be back outside! He has tapped into something. Maybe they'll be able to turn it into something.

malchior

Post by malchior »

This is actually what is happening. It is being covered across multiple networks live. It's necessary. We need to show everyone that white supremacy is indeed still alive in this country. Tennessee needs to be put on notice that their racism isn't acceptable.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ridiculous. I guarantee that a GOP member of thst body or US Congress will be more disruptive in a month or less with zero consequences. The fucking party of Santos.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

It'll be interesting when this inevitably increases the prominence of at least one of these three (probably Jones but the others are compelling as well). But let's put this in perspective. Children were murdered and they focused on RACIST action. The GOP is anti-democratic, vindicative, and frankly fascist. They're evil. Enough.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ignorance is bliss:

Too many drag queen story hours, I guess.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:43 pm As expected. Racism and authoritarianism raising it's ugly head. If the media does it's job - ha! - they'll show us the "trial" because ultimately this was despicable. I also hope the people of their community return them right to the chamber.

Listen to that roar when he says he'll be back outside! He has tapped into something. Maybe they'll be able to turn it into something.

So what is the process for filling those seats after the members have been expelled? Is it a special election? Or does the GOP supermajority just get to pick whoever they want?

I read someone saying that the expelled members can simply run again. That doesn't sound right, but I couldn't find a statue on the next steps.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

NPR
If the expulsion effort succeeds, the lawmakers' seats would become vacant. Because the 2024 general election is more than 12 months away, the districts would hold special elections to fill the seats. The representatives' county commissions can also choose to appoint an interim lawmaker, who would serve until a special election is held.

Representatives who are expelled can return to their office — by being appointed by the commission and/or by running again. The state constitution also says a lawmaker can't be expelled a second time for the same offense.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

More context

malchior

Post by malchior »

They did not expel the white woman in the 2nd vote. Come on. Why not wear the hoods out on the floor? The third vote against another black man is next. This is going to look ugly.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

What's taking Marge so long with those divorce papers?
malchior

Post by malchior »

They just expelled the other black member. Another rock bottom moment for a nation that has lost its moral and ethical compass. IMO this is a moment for Biden to speak out publicly. This is not a moment for him to sit back and watch the GOP flex their white supremacy. Our democracy is on fire.

If you haven't read Laboratories of Autocracy I can't recommend it enough. That book is like a primer to interpret what is happening which is that the GOP realizes their hold on power is unsustainable and is acting out to end our democracy. Sometimes they overstep. Sometimes they make mistakes but they are also demonstrating they have the will to be absolutely ruthless. We are at the beginning or even a little farther into the end stage now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

malchior wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:03 pm Our democracy is on fire.
Our democracy is cinders.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Grifman is here for the catfight :pop:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Grifman wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:20 pm
Is…is she CGI?
Covfefe!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:21 pm Grifman is here for the catfight :pop:

Man, you should see Twitter - they have been going at each other all afternoon. It’s crazy.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

More GOP evil:

malchior

Post by malchior »

This is a bluff you have to call. If they won't let you even participate in your own processes then they'll hold their threat over you until take away the funding for something else anyway. The next logical step is saying that if Pearson is re-elected...etc. You have to stand up to thugs. The time to fight is here.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What if instead of re-appointing the ousted legislators the commissioners found a couple of Black Panthers (or the BLM equivalent) to appoint.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter