Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Pyperkub

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:52 pm Oh, for fuck’s sake.

JUST IN: Kevin McCarthy Releases Jan. 6 Riot Tapes — All 41,000 Hours — to Tucker Carlson
Home movies for him?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:42 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:52 pm Oh, for fuck’s sake.

JUST IN: Kevin McCarthy Releases Jan. 6 Riot Tapes — All 41,000 Hours — to Tucker Carlson
How is that McCarthy's decision to make?
Exactly what I’ve been wondering.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Endemic to such RW organizations? O'Keefe out at Project Lie your Ass off, er, Veritas
behind the scenes, O’Keefe struggled to manage his growing organization.

His exit follows internal conflict that pitted O’Keefe against two of the group’s executives — Barry Hinckley, the chief strategy officer, and Tom O’Hara, the chief financial officer. Earlier this month, O’Keefe sought to oust Hinckley and O’Hara after they raised concerns about his approach to fundraising and treatment of staff.

“Last night I stood up to a Bully and was fired,” Hinckley wrote to colleagues in a group chat on the messaging app Telegram. “Management by shaming and bullying is never acceptable and it doesn’t belong in the workplace.”

The board, after an emergency meeting, brought back both executives, placed O’Keefe on paid leave and indicated to Project Veritas leadership that it would deliberate over O’Keefe’s fate at the organization. In the meantime, some Project Veritas staff prepared a memo airing grievances against O’Keefe, which his allies strenuously denied.

The 11-page document, which was obtained by The Post, accused O’Keefe of demeaning his employees, mistreating donors and squandering the group’s resources.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The more I think about this, the more it pisses me off.

Since Kevin McCarthy (being the craven coward he is) gave him the exclusive footage, Tucker Carlson is now going to make money off something that was property of the US Congress.

Not only that, but he’s now going to reap huge profits off an incident that he has repeatedly lied about for over two years. You can be 100% sure that the only thing his viewers will see is selectively edited and misrepresented footage with lots of “normal tourists” roaming through empty halls doing no damage whatsoever. How the ever-loving fuck is that allowed to happen?

And House Dems seem to be doing not a damn thing about it other than shrugging their shoulders and saying “nothing to be done”.

Not only has not a single person in power faced any repercussions whatsoever for attempting to overthrow an election via a riot, the entire discussion has simply become to hand-wave it away. Even though it has now been proven that those howling the loudest about the stolen election in public knew that it was 100% lies Pathetic cowards. Every. Single. One

I guess we get both the government and the media we deserve.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Releasing the footage doesn’t mean Carlson owns it though, does it? I mean, someone else can release it too, I would think.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:40 pm Releasing the footage doesn’t mean Carlson owns it though, does it? I mean, someone else can release it too, I would think.
I don't know how these things work, and whether any Democrat could make a similar release to someone else.

But I do know that if Fox were an actual news organization, old-school journalism ethics would insist that they extend full access to all of the other major networks, at least.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

MTG took some time off from cheating on her husband with her personal trainers to call for a “national divorce”. She also thinks the Jan 6 tapes will exonerate the rioters. The thing is, there’s nothing you could do to make the already released footage look benign. At least to anyone without an agenda.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:36 pm The more I think about this, the more it pisses me off.

Since Kevin McCarthy (being the craven coward he is) gave him the exclusive footage, Tucker Carlson is now going to make money off something that was property of the US Congress.

Not only that, but he’s now going to reap huge profits off an incident that he has repeatedly lied about for over two years. You can be 100% sure that the only thing his viewers will see is selectively edited and misrepresented footage with lots of “normal tourists” roaming through empty halls doing no damage whatsoever. How the ever-loving fuck is that allowed to happen?

And House Dems seem to be doing not a damn thing about it other than shrugging their shoulders and saying “nothing to be done”.

Not only has not a single person in power faced any repercussions whatsoever for attempting to overthrow an election via a riot, the entire discussion has simply become to hand-wave it away. Even though it has now been proven that those howling the loudest about the stolen election in public knew that it was 100% lies Pathetic cowards. Every. Single. One

I guess we get both the government and the media we deserve.
Imagine if the Speaker were Nunes...

Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:51 pm The thing is, there’s nothing you could do to make the already released footage look benign. At least to anyone without an agenda.
Wait for it. They'll find a few instances of insurrectionists smiling and laughing and praying and even hugging cops, and they'll try to present these as the "real" story of January 6.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But that won’t do anything to lessen the impact of the videos already released that clearly show the violent mob that stormed Washington that day. Of course the Carlson cut will play to the Fox News crowd, but they were convinced nothing wrong happened on that day while watching the videos of the violence as it happened.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:16 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:51 pm The thing is, there’s nothing you could do to make the already released footage look benign. At least to anyone without an agenda.
Wait for it. They'll find a few instances of insurrectionists smiling and laughing and praying and even hugging cops, and they'll try to present these as the "real" story of January 6.
I'd think they'd have to to show also show the police as the aggressors, infringing on constitutional liberties, and that this somehow forced the demonstration to turn violent and move in on the capitol which was somehow unlawfully blocked.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Wishful thinking:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I love the long storied celebration of past presidents there and in particular the accuracy of the TFG's presidential physique but I must admit I totally don't get the word Abraham on a plaque? and Menorah.
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That admits that he lost in 2020.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:02 am I love the long storied celebration of past presidents there and in particular the accuracy of the TFG's presidential physique but I must admit I totally don't get the word Abraham on a plaque? and Menorah.
Looking at the tablet on the ground and all the tchotchke I can only imagine that this event was aimed at or perhaps a visit with pro-Israel Jewish folks.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It's Presidents' Day, and why use an approximation of the American flag?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

So many questions.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
milo

Post by milo »

Apparently, in Florida, it is officially "Washington's Birthday" (https://www.flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2020/683.01).
--milo
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

It definitely feels like we're building to something. We have no reference model for what is happening.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Marge doubled down on her "national divorce" this morning. Thread starts here.

As expected, it’s a 'greatest hits" manifesto of Fox News fearmongering. Antifa training schools! Sex toys next to toothbrushes at Walmart! George Soros! COVID hoax! Dead people voting! Mandatory Drag Queen Story Time! Transgender athletes everywhere! Immigrants are evil! STRAIGHT CHRISTIAN WHITE PEOPLE...BE AFRAID OF EVERYTHING!!!

I’ll give her credit, this is truly a work of high-quality performance art. Sadly, about a third of the population agrees with it.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

As long as the blue states don't have to pay alimony or child support. And we split the national debt down the middle?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:46 pm As long as the blue states don't have to pay alimony or child support. And we split the national debt down the middle?
I would love to +1 that but I feel that would be cruel to those with not means to leave. If we somehow could come up with an eminent domain to move those that want to move, then I'm on board, except for the "legal union" part. Fuck that. If we get a divorce, the last thing I'd want is to remain in a legal union. Rather we engage in "renegotiated deals" as one former president like to put it. And the first deal is, if you want out so bad, what are you going to put up to make that happen?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Maybe we could do prisoner swaps.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Given the huge cultural divide in this country, I sometimes wonder if a separation might not be best for everyone concerned. Of course the real problem with that is that the cultural divisions aren't consistently geographical.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:08 pm Given the huge cultural divide in this country, I sometimes wonder if a separation might not be best for everyone concerned. Of course the real problem with that is that the cultural divisions aren't consistently geographical.
but they sure do have a lot to do with the propganda intake... see Dominion lawsuit docs... and the OP of this thread TEN years ago regarding "Fox News Republicans"...

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:08 pm Given the huge cultural divide in this country, I sometimes wonder if a separation might not be best for everyone concerned. Of course the real problem with that is that the cultural divisions aren't consistently geographical.
It’s absolutely the worst thing that could happen. The very last thing any of should want is that. MTG is an evil person. I rarely use that word when it comes to people. But in this case, I think it’s appropriate.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:33 pm It's Presidents' Day, and why use an approximation of the American flag?
At Malagro, it's "President's Day", obviously. Only one president deserves the day, obvs.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

After all, the rest stole their elections from him.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:31 pm
It’s absolutely the worst thing that could happen. The very last thing any of should want is that. MTG is an evil person. I rarely use that word when it comes to people. But in this case, I think it’s appropriate.
I think she's just working through some issues. And by "working through" I mean she's making the rest of the country suffer because she's not happy.

I mean does this sound familiar:
Perry Greene announced in September 2022 that he was filing for divorce and that their marriage was "irretrievably broken".[395] On December 22, 2022, the divorce was finalized.[396]
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:17 pm Marge doubled down on her "national divorce" this morning. Thread starts here.

As expected, it’s a 'greatest hits" manifesto of Fox News fearmongering. Antifa training schools! Sex toys next to toothbrushes at Walmart! George Soros! COVID hoax! Dead people voting! Mandatory Drag Queen Story Time! Transgender athletes everywhere! Immigrants are evil! STRAIGHT CHRISTIAN WHITE PEOPLE...BE AFRAID OF EVERYTHING!!!

I’ll give her credit, this is truly a work of high-quality performance art. Sadly, about a third of the population agrees with it.
I really wish I hadn't read that.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not only would I not click on a Twitter link these days, but I sure as shit am not clicking on angry Marge's tweet/page/whatever.

Fully aware it's irrational and has NO impact whatsoever on anything except my own personal sense of where I draw lines.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I have a buddy that is borderline obsessed with MGT - he absolutely despises her, but to the point that he follows every tweet and utterance out of her mouth. I don't know why he wastes his time getting upset with someone who is (I believe) mentally ill. She's a dangerous person to be in power to be sure, but no way am I letting that dingbat get my blood pressure up on a daily basis.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:56 pm I have a buddy that is borderline obsessed with MGT - he absolutely despises her, but to the point that he follows every tweet and utterance out of her mouth. I don't know why he wastes his time getting upset with someone who is (I believe) mentally ill. She's a dangerous person to be in power to be sure, but no way am I letting that dingbat get my blood pressure up on a daily basis.
Did he read that long ass Atlantic article about her? Must read/listen (they have a free audio version at top of article, which I always love)...media for someone like your friend, methinks. Kind of a deep dive into her villain origin story. Very well done and researched, much like the one they did on Lindsey Fucking Graham a couple years ago.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:36 pm Since Kevin McCarthy (being the craven coward he is) gave him the exclusive footage, Tucker Carlson is now going to make money off something that was property of the US Congress.
Plot twist - Kevin McCarthy is going to make money too!

McCarthy fundraising off of giving Tucker Carlson access to 1/6 Surveillance tapes
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm stunned.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Mass. GOP is in worse shape than anyone knew.
In revelations some Republicans say top their worst fears, the new leader of the Massachusetts GOP said the party misreported hundreds of thousands of dollars to state campaign finance officials under its former chairman, and may owe vendors as much as $600,000, potentially further hobbling the cash-strapped party.

Amy Carnevale, who was elected last month to replace Jim Lyons as party chair, issued a new accounting of the party’s finances that reveals potentially much higher debts than previously disclosed and depict a political operation in disarray under her predecessor. In a letter to Republican State Committee members Tuesday, Carnevale said she and other officials are trying to “get our financial house in order.”

The party, she said, has as much as $602,152 in unpaid invoices from vendors, more than five times what party officials had estimated just one month ago.

However, Carnevale said many of the invoices are “unsubstantiated” and appear to “not be the responsibility of the party.” That means some large unpaid obligations — including hundreds of thousands in ads for Geoff Diehl’s unsuccessful gubernatorial campaign — may not ultimately land on the party’s ledger.

But party officials said some invoices do not have documentation or contracts, further muddying the picture. Carnevale said the party hired a compliance firm, Red Curve Solutions, to review them to determine “who authorized these payments and in what capacity they were acting.”
The party’s financial accounts had dwindled to just $35,000 at the end of last year, party treasurer Pat Crowley told party leaders in January. At the time, Crowley documented $117,000 in debts the party owed to five vendors for campaign-related expenses.
There's more detail at the link, but the gist is they're going to struggle to get back to zero unless one of their many high-value donors bails them out.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It almost sounds like the MA Republican party itself is the victim of grift by party members who know the books are in disarray.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

If McCarthy can hand the surveillance footage to Tucker (with everyone knowing exactly what he's going to do with it), then I'm confused why Dems can't hand it to an organization of their choosing as well? Or multiple orgs?

I get that there are security issues involved, but if Tucker has it then all those considerations have already flown out the window. May as well have someone who can counter the flood of bullshit that will inevitably ensure from Fox.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Beyond the security questions which are moot IMO I'm confused why other outlets are keeping silent while they are excluded. They are simply covering the story. It is strange that they aren't at least demanding equal access. I haven't even heard any real discussion about why they wouldn't have equal access.