[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hentzau

Re: [Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by hentzau »

I'll echo everything you've heard from the reviews online about them. Amazing coverage, they appear to be much more consistent on the application than Contrast paints, and reactivation is a real thing.

If you're like me and sometimes will slop a paint over into another area, with contrast (or just standard paint) you could pretty easily just grab your white (or gray) paint and clean it up. In my experience (from these three models) even after letting the paint dry for a good 10 minutes painting white back over it the underlying color will seep through the white primer. Took a couple of coats of white to get it back to even close to clean.

I do wish there were more color variations. I'd like a few more green and brown tones in the set. In the Lucky Dundee figure above, I had to apply a mix of Dark Wood and Pallid Flesh on the coat. Worked pretty well, but I'll have to do some experiments in mixing.

Love the dropper bottles. But one thing...the colors on the pallet look VERY similar. Almost need to do a custom pallet with labels

Overall, very impressed with the paints, they did what I was wanting from them, just need to keep the reactivation issues in mind.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hentzau wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:04 pm just need to keep the reactivation issues in mind.
Just so I'm clear (no pun intended), the only way to seal these then is with spray finish, right? If you hit them with a painted-on sealant, it'll reactivate?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:10 pm
hentzau wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:04 pm just need to keep the reactivation issues in mind.
Just so I'm clear (no pun intended), the only way to seal these then is with spray finish, right? If you hit them with a painted-on sealant, it'll reactivate?
I have not tested this, cause I really don't want to screw up these paint jobs. But I have to imagine that it would in fact reactivate the paint. Probably even a heavy coat of sealer could even re-activate the paint (but hopefully not mess things up TOO much, since you aren't moving the paint around.

I have some other figures primed that I could test on. Let me give it a try on one of these figures and report back.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Appreciated. Needing to hit them with a rattle can dull-cote isn't a deal killer, but if I can't even do that, I'd be kinda worried about handling them at all.

Unofficially, I'm seeing that spray can seems to be fine, but brush-on is indeed potentially problematic.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I painted this up real quick…I’ll show you the results after I give it a solid 3-4 hours to dry.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, it’s pretty much a horror show.

On the skirt and below I applied Agrax Earthshade, and waist and above I put on army painter anti-shine (brush on).

You can see on the skirt how it pulled the blue color from the skirt down to the legs. The anti shine wasn’t as bad, but you can see it picked up the yellow from the hat and stained her blouse. So I’d say that washes after are a definite no. You might be able to get by if you spray varnished first and then applied the wash.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ugh. Well...knowing is still half the battle so thanks for your confirmation.

I am a bit curious to see how they hold up without doing anything - just slathering Speed Paint on and using them. I suppose as long as no one does a spit take at the table or has super sweaty hands they might be ok? :D
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Wow to both! Those Batman figures are almost identical to the pictures!

I'm impressed with the Speedpaints! Seeing those, I might have to change my mind and invest in some to do smaller scale figures.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I suspect airbrushed varnish would be ok?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

baelthazar wrote:I suspect airbrushed varnish would be ok?
Yes. I applied airbrush varnish to the other 3 figures I did and no issues.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did some messing around with Contrast Paints and Massive Darkness. I am quite pleased.

Enlarge Image

I had to re-do the fur on his armor with a golden brown color (game art has it as gray) but I couldn't get it to work right. Might go back and do some more coloring on the pouches and apply an ink wash to the axe head. But yeah when they work, I love these paints.

I am also beginning to think my issues are related to the primer. He was primed with my Official (tm) Citadel Wraith Bone rattle can primer (a one time test purchase). I have a friend that swears by Rustoleum 2x Ultra Cover Flat White Primer for use with Contrast paints. At $4.50 a can, I'm willing to try. :wink:
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I have always…ALWAYS…had the best results with Wraith Bone and contrast. I’ve tried Armory, Army Painter, and generic flat white sprays and nothing seems to grip the paint better than the official GW primers. Be interested to see how you fare with the cheaper stuff.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I will definitely report. I sourced the cheapest Rustoleum to Target, of all places. My plan is to do a test run with a mob minion and see how it comes out and I'll be sure to post it here. But yes - the Contrast paint seemed to be perfectly adapted to work with the official Citadel primer. Go figure. :D

I think my Nemesis figures were either a flat Krylon or Valspar primer. Whatever it is, the Contrast paints bead off like I've applied water and oil.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Citadel designed Contrast Paint to force you to use their official products? Not surprising.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Capitalists!
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Citadel is GW. They're in the same boat as Asmodee - capitalism, but the most heavy-handed, customer-hostile form of it that they can get away with.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Cognizant

Post by Cognizant »

It's a big problem for me to paint portraits. I cannot draw a face that looks equal to the model(( once I painted a portrait of a girl from my college group and she asked "who is it?" :cry:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You shall not...get by!

Enlarge Image

Three different variations of grey Contrast colors

Space wolves grey
Basilicanum grey
Gryph-charger grey

The photo has the cloak washed out a bit - it's much darker in person. My new strategy is to slather all this Contrast stuff on and then when I'm finished with all the minis, I'll go back and do some minor detailing - pouches, buttons
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Finished this tonight.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I found some great ideas here. Well worth the watch.

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:06 pm I found some great ideas here. Well worth the watch.

Thanks for this! Such great stuff!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I really want that pen drill. On the wishlist it goes!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Dana Howl might have figured out the issue with Speed Paints

Spoiler:
It really is the universal solvent
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Not going to lie - with the need for specific medium to avoid reactivation, I am pretty confident SpeedPaints are not the Contrast Paint killer for me. I love Dana Howl's videos, but I'm not impressed by the effects she demonstrates here. The idea is speed and convenience, so Contrast with some easy highlights/glaze and Drybrushing is just a lot more convenient.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Pulp Alley figure…half hour paint job with Speedpaints. Not quite finished, need to still do the buttons and metal trim.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My SpeedPaints arrive this week. I have 20 Reaper townsfolk ready to experiment with. I paint straight from the Army Painter bottle so hopefully the reactivation should be a non-issue.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud wrote:My SpeedPaints arrive this week. I have 20 Reaper townsfolk ready to experiment with. I paint straight from the Army Painter bottle so hopefully the reactivation should be a non-issue.
It is an issue. Just paint as neatly as possible. And if doing additional washes/shading/highlights, I would recommend giving it a solid 24 hours dry time and maybe a shot of dull cote.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Excellent work
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Here are some pictures of the motorcycles with sidecars that I used for a Pulp Alley game. I bought an STL file of the a Norton Big 4 with sidecar and was just planning on printing them up and putting them on the table. My mad genius buddy Tommy, who’s league was running on the cycles, came up with the brilliant idea of putting them into Tinkercad and slicing chunks out of them so you could actually slide figures in and have it look like they were actually riding. Came out really great (but a pain in the ass to print and the handlebars snap off if you breathe on them hard.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That is brilliant.

I’m enjoying my speedpaints but my coughing is interfering with finishing the Reaper townspeople. Need to find a good blonde hair color.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Finishing up my film crew.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I’ll take pictures of the 20 Reaper townsfolk I finished painting. I’m very impressed with the yellow, grey and leather/brown. The dark blue and camo green gave me some difficulties in getting a consistent color.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Painting Return to Dark Tower minis after two months out from foot surgery. One of the nice benefits of my steady improvement is that I seem to be getting faster without a real drop in quality. I managed to do this guy in about an hour:

I also managed to get the 4 quest tokens in about 2 hours, give or take.

These have been fun to paint and I'm really excited to get them done so I can get the game on the table.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I love the vibrant colors on those tokens.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I am still painting, I am still super slow. This one took about 5 hours total.
This is Arcanis, Cleric of The Raven Queen. Belongs to Acrcanis from this board.
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Nice work! You’ll get faster with practice so don’t let speed discourage you.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

hentzau wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:20 pm Nice work! You’ll get faster with practice so don’t let speed discourage you.
Yes, yes, second that!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Do you guys wear special glasses working on miniatures or is it all through lighted magnifying lenses? I have such a hard time seeing my phone screen as I get older I can’t imagine working on such fine detail.

I’m really impressed at the photos here (when I pinch and zoom in to see the detail).